Building limits increased | Patch 1.2.2-f2 is live!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TotalyMoo

Manager of Things
94 Badges
Jun 5, 2012
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Sengoku
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
6l40r9T.jpg

Greetings dearest Chirpies

Happy autumn friends! We Nords are slowly calming down after the brief summer and setting into the cozy pace required to survive the dark months. Ah, hot coco, blankets and a great game or three -- bliss.

This is a two staged post. First and foremost, we're releasing a patch today and increasing several in-game limits! Wohoo!

You have asked for this since we launched the game. Originally it was not a possible option as it would require an increase in system requirements. Since then we have worked diligently with optimizing Cities: Skylines and have now been able to use that extra juice-room to push the limits further!

Why not open it up entirely to modders? The tl;dr reason is that it would require a large amount of time. Limits are tied to several somewhat complex dependencies and fiddling with this could easily end up in us breaking something rather than improving it. Our focus lies elsewhere as it stands, we hope this is a good compromise :)

Why no changes in agent limits? It hogs way too many resources and is not doable under our current sys-reqs.

Is this final? Nothing is ever final -- but we are going to leave this alone for the foreseeable future and focus our efforts elsewhere going forward.

Patch notes for 1.2.2-f2
  • Zone limit increased 50%
  • Building limit increased 50%
  • Road segment limit increased 12,5%
  • Fixed some issues when loading saves with missing assets.
  • Commercial specializations exposed in the Asset Editor for DLC owners
  • Fixed an issue where pre-DLC vehicles would fail to load in the Asset Editor
  • AfterDark badge added on top of assets thumbnails in the Template selector of the asset editor which uses AfterDark only features
  • Content Manager also disable the asset using DLC feature which wont work in the base game and offer a link to the DLC store page
  • Fixed Tropical and European cliff textures showing disgusting lines
  • After Dark expansion: Text: UI: The mouse over text of the Specializations income is incorrect.
  • After Dark expansion: LOC: RUS: Asset Editor: The "Day/Night Control" text is cut off.
  • After Dark expansion: Text: Menu: Incorrect mouse over tooltip text for Prisoners and Cyclists in the City Statistics menu.
  • Fixed tree lod shadow clipping with tall trees
  • Fixed bikes coming out of the plane at airports
  • Updated the storage method for Paradox account credentials
  • Fixed the day/night control slider label position in Map and Asset editor

Now to part 2 - feedback!

When we released After Dark the reception was overwhelmingly positive, now that some time has passed we can see this has stayed true with a metacritic score of 80/8.1 and 89% positive on steam.

Alas, there are always things to improve! We have heard your feedback and would like to address some of the most common suggestions and requests. Please do note that software development is slow and steady when done right, so whilst we aspire to improve many of the things listed below it will take time.

Schools are active during the night.

- Not as designed, is currently on our internal wishlist to fix.

Solar power does not work during night.
- Having solar power as the obvious end-game choice was not very interesting design as it did not promote using different strategies depending on the situation. This is working as intended but we do agree the balance can be improved so that it's a competitive option.

Tourism numbers low or sometimes completely vacant.
- Might be a balance issue or possibly bug - we are investigating both options. If you have a saved game where you're either seeing an extremely low amount of tourists or the tourist numbers are decreasing as your city size grows - please send it to us so that we have more material to work with.

Hard to build during night time.
- Common feedback, we are investigating potential improvements.

Using day/night budget sliders sometimes result in low land value.
- Not working fully as intended, investigating.

Shoreline assets are difficult to place/connect.
- These are working as intended. Still, we have heard your feedback and will consider usability improvements here when/if the team finds time.

Some maps and/or biomes are very bright and oversaturated.
- Some improvements have already been made, this could be a bug, related to the users GPU or an unintended result of lighting changes. Investigating further.

Leisure/commercial does not behave very differently depending on time of day.
- Improved balance being investigated. If you have this issue, please send us a report of your problem as well as your city size (population).

Tunnels missing in map editor.
- This has been a popular question for a long time and I have to admit our messaging hasn't been entirely clear whether or not it's possible (maybe) or working as intended (yes, due to technical limitations). Adding support would require substantial time from CO and we can not prioritize this as it stands. It's wishlisted.

Service vehicle behavior isn't the best.
- Investigating if this can be improved or smarted up somewhat.

"Normal/vanilla" style missing as district style on euro maps.
- Bug.

Prioritizing service vehicle spawn when agent limit is reached.
- Investigating if possible.

Taxi profits are very low.
- Balance being investigated, this system is intended for larger cities.

Texture alpha quality changed.
- Could be unintentional change or tied to the aforementioned lighting issue, being investigated.

That's all for now! Happy gaming everyone, and thank you for your amazing support and continued constructive discussion. We are truly grateful for having you as our community and look forward to bringing you more fresh content.

Regards,
The Cities Team

Reactions:
great! thanks for the patch, and even more thanks for the information.

i am happy that most of the negative feedback from AD is being looked into and that progress is made. the only thing i don't see mentioned is the bus lane thing. so pretty good.

also, if the lighting bug may be hardware/driver/settings related, will you be needing tests from users?

Tourism numbers low or sometimes completely vacant.
- Might be a balance issue or possibly bug - we are investigating both options. If you have a saved game where you're either seeing an extremely low amount of tourists or the tourist numbers are decreasing as your city size grows - please send it to us so that we have more material to work with.

Thanks for the update!

As for tourim numbers, are you sure it has nothing to do with the bug described here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkyl...urism_bug_linked_to_maximum_number_of_custom/

and with more detailed numbers here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/34eyat/bug_in_attractiveness_and_unique_buildings/

Reactions:
Thanks for the update.

Hard to build during night time.
Please don't make it brighter like you did in Cities in Motion 2. The night should dark, real dark.
If it 's hard to build my idea is more bright at cursor on constructing/planning the city such as plan the road, zoning, placing the buildings or parks.
My 2nd idea is create some construction light that is "free" for build and refund at 0. This light must be able to place almost anywhere, on road, on parks, on grass of each buildings. I think it must be very useful.

Reactions:
Spectra's Crossings mod - do you use this?
No. Maybe one of traffic mods. Seems like the colors depend on the amount of traffic...but it's not the traffic report tool. dunno. I'm sure I'll figure it out with a few more reloads ^^;

€: ack, stupid me, it's called differently in the ingame content manager. Yes, that was it, thanks.

Last edited:
Huh... guys ????

You didn't fix the daylight ????? o_O
Are you referring to this ?

- Some improvements have already been made, this could be a bug, related to the users GPU or an unintended result of lighting changes. Investigating further.

Are you referring to this ?

"Some improvements have already been made" what does it mean ???? When did those improvements take place ??

They had one month to investigate already.

Reactions:
You are doing a amazing job, I love the game, it's the best city builders ever.
But it was a good idea create a harder mode, it's a little bit easy sometime.
And we need some disaster, it will be great!!.
Every body say you did a game like Simcity but much much better, can you do the same with The Sims?? Dream come true ;)
Greeting!

Reactions:
Yay, building limits increased! That's great news. I already tried it, and I can play my old city again. I'm very happy about that.

And regarding tourism, we definitively have a bug there. At least that part is confirmed. Which is not supposed to mean that there may not be a balance issue, too, but that's a different issue.

Last edited:
Reactions:
With talk about min spec testings . I know steam states what the average hardware dected. Something along the lines of 650/660 being the most used by far on a graphics term etc.
Have you tried to look demographically what your player base I'd actually using ? As I think it'll be a tad above your current required spec thus allowing you to pump up the games, AI coding a bit like the fan base is asking for :)
I'm sure others would agree , specially with s section already on here to state player specs.
Just hate the fact you could be drive 20 in a 50 limit lane sort of thing :)

I think that C.O is the only developer that I don't mind paying the full price for games and dlcs.There's some companies out there that could learn a thing or two about quality, good design, and most of all, to listen to their consumers.

Keep the good work!

Reactions: