• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Installed HOI 1.06 and TGW 1.04

Played two times as germany and captured the whole of france without france being defeated. Russia, Italy and UK defeat events triggered when they were supposed to to though. (One game I defeated russia first, then supported austro hungary on the southern front against Italy, then rolled up the frensh from the SE. The other game, I followed the Schlieffen Plan and captured all the relevant provionces by late 1914 and the rest of france by early 1915, without the defeat event being fired.)

I feel upgrading things is too expensive and takes too long.

Baltasar said:
Played two times as germany and captured the whole of france without france being defeated. Russia, Italy and UK defeat events triggered when they were supposed to to though. (One game I defeated russia first, then supported austro hungary on the southern front against Italy, then rolled up the frensh from the SE. The other game, I followed the Schlieffen Plan and captured all the relevant provionces by late 1914 and the rest of france by early 1915, without the defeat event being fired.)

Good. It's working fine, then.

French defeat only fires when the Russian one does.

Not sure whether anyone cares or not.. but when a bomber unit attacks another I seem to get this pop-up box that says

*Missing String*

Then two boxes underneath, basically "Ok" and "Go to target" but they both say *Missing string* in too.
Its not a huge problem.. maybe just me.. but it seems to happen whenever a bomber attacks. Graphic bug perhaps?

The only real difference between the game and the real war I think is the ease the Ottomans can be defeated. About 4-5 divisions from Russia and 5-6 from Britain can conquer the entire place in about 2 months...but that may just be an AI problem that cannot be fixed.

Although out of 5 games there has yet to be any revolutions in Russia. Is that coded in patch 1.4?

Obsidion said:
Not sure whether anyone cares or not.. but when a bomber unit attacks another I seem to get this pop-up box that says

*Missing String*

Then two boxes underneath, basically "Ok" and "Go to target" but they both say *Missing string* in too.
Its not a huge problem.. maybe just me.. but it seems to happen whenever a bomber attacks. Graphic bug perhaps?
Known bug, we need to get some text to that popup, it is correct that it is 'we have been bombed', and thatnk you for posting in the bugs thread and not starting another one

The only real difference between the game and the real war I think is the ease the Ottomans can be defeated. About 4-5 divisions from Russia and 5-6 from Britain can conquer the entire place in about 2 months...but that may just be an AI problem that cannot be fixed.
I´ve seen ottoman empire going on a rampage through egypt and Libya + holding out against Russia. Historically, the russiand did beat the ottomans and advance into asia minor, but that was at the end of the war.

Although out of 5 games there has yet to be any revolutions in Russia. Is that coded in patch 1.4?
What happened? did Germany loose or something? If not, here is what is required for the event to fire:

Russia must be at war
OR
the treaty of Tilsit must have fired

Russias dissent must be at least 20
The february revolution must have fired
Russia must not controll Berlin

TRIGGERS FOR FEBRUARY REVOLUTION

Russia must be at war
OR
the treaty of Tilsit must have fired
Russian dissent must be at 20
russia must not control Berlin

Well I got the revolution to happen, although it all happened at once. (Feb revolution, Send lenin in train,July days, Kornilov and then the octover revolution all happened in an hour.. not sure if that is intended or not.)
The bug seems to be, The soviet union makes peace, but doesn't allow military access. Thus all those units over the original 1914 border are trapped without supply and after the USSR refused me military access disbanded due to lack of supplies. Which basically meant that all the German+A-H troops on the eastern front ceased to exist.
Perhaps defeated powers should grant military access to their former foes?

Obsidion said:
Well that is a slight problem since any unit which is over 1 province away from the front line is doomed if the soviets refuse access.

Perhaps you should go to 74002 and put

command = { type = access which = GER }

as part of action_a and then check to see what happens?

That would be most useful.

In my game the Serbian troops never seem to materialise. The image of them just seems to flicker. Is this a major problem and can it be fixed.

I got to say, 1,04 is great, but I got a problem, a bug.

So a friend and I decide to do a MP. Him as Russia and I as France. Everything goes off without a hitch. But one thing, he cant research. I mean there is research available but when he clicks on start project, it doesnt do anything. He allocated 99 IC to research, but still cant start any projects. We tried running it for a weeks thinking it needs to load up somethings, but nothing. He can produce troops, strat. move them, reinforce troops.

So we save re-launch, and have him try it again. He cant research. He can do everything alse, I can reaserch just fine. Everything alse works, except him being able to research.

So then he saved the game and he went to host the game. But everytime he launched the game with us connected, it crashed for me. Saying it was missing a file...

But then if I launch my savefile it works fine again, he can join, but cant research. We havent tried playing as different countries yet. We might later.

But has anyone heard of this bug?
Btw, system specs.
I got windows2000, 2.4ghz, 512mb PC3300
He has Windows XP, 2.6ghx 348mb PC133

Thank you in advance for any help.

There's nothing much I can do w/regards to advice on Multiplayer issues, as I have never played it on MP, and I dont think any team members have either. There is a thread concerning a multiplayer game on this forum - perhaps you should ask one of them to see if they've had the same problem?

Not a bug really, but observation important for the balance of combat system...

Current technology system (1.04b) allows player to develop techs that grant quite substantial bonus to defense effectiveness (most of them - before the war). I've got an impression, that values used in some of those techs are not really balanced.

Current combat system (1 unit vs. 1 unit, terrain/weather/other modifiers ignored):

1) Both sides use SA (soft attack) and GD (Ground Defense).

2) When combat starts, both sides try to "hit" enemy. Number of "shots" is equal to the values of SA.

3) Both sides try to stop enemy SA with their GD. If SA <= GD of the enemy, then each shot got basic 20% chance to hit the enemy. Each SA point over the enemy GD hits automatically. Each hit causes loss of approx. 1% STR and 3% ORG.

4) Defense efficiency modifier rises chance to stop the hit (if SA <= GD). Changing it by 5% means, that basic chance to stop the hit rises from 80% to 85%.

It doesn't look impressive until we notice, that 5% change in defense efficiency modifier means that attacker in fact losses 25% of his ability to inflict damage (drop from 20% to 15% = 25% of the total damage is now stopped).

What are practical implications of this fact? It's very easy to gain huge advantage in land combat by simply developing 2-4 technologies that rise defense efficiency by 10%. 10% change means 50% better defense ability in each battle where enemy got no radical quantity advantage. And 50% better defense means lower MP/supplies consumption (lower casualties) and very mobile warfare (since units don't loose too much organization in battles, they can pursue the enemy right away, without pauses for org regain).

IMHO defense efficiency need serious balancing in TGW. It can be lowered at the start of scenario (to 65-70%) via inc files, or the technologies effects can be lowered - either way is good. Other solution is adjusting AI to develop techs that give ground defense bonus as a top priority - it would somehow balance the situation as well.

Last edited:
I thought that that´s what happened in WWI too?

Both sides growing more and more advanced in defence and therefor not beeing able to break through the front :confused:

Zuckergußgebäck said:
I thought that that´s what happened in WWI too?

Both sides growing more and more advanced in defence and therefor not beeing able to break through the front :confused:

It's all right, if it happens to both sides. But right now, it can be easily gained by one side and used with success in offensive operations. Defense efficiency doesn't mean, that only defender benefits from it - it means, that side with higher defense efficiency got lower casualties, no matter if it attacks or defends.

That's main mistake when it comes to understanding HoI combat system - parameters with "defense" in their name are not connected with defending province, but with casualties rate.

Other alternative is creating some sort of "trench war" tech that is given via event to all participants of the war, that rises their GD/defense efficiency.

Copper Nicus said:
Other alternative is creating some sort of "trench war" tech that is given via event to all participants of the war, that rises their GD/defense efficiency.

There are already 'trench war' events that give the defender an edge and allow for a static situation to develop.

Also, keep in mind that in 1917/18, the advantage in the war began to shift back to the offensive via arms co-ordination, air power, more advanced tactics, mobile weapons and heavier artillery - how does this change your overall assessment?

Allenby said:
There are already 'trench war' events that give the defender an edge and allow for a static situation to develop.

I know, I like those events. Still, technologies are much more effective in changing combat outcome, mainly because they can adjust much more then events.

Allenby said:
Also, keep in mind that in 1917/18, the advantage in the war began to shift back to the offensive via arms co-ordination, air power, more advanced tactics, mobile weapons and heavier artillery - how does this change your overall assessment?

Ok, but if I don't need tanks, planes and artillery to gain 50% edge over the enemy in the middle of 1914? It's certainly the case in 1.04b.

As I see it, after short period of mobile warfare in 1914, long period of very static warfare is needed (I believe we agree here). But it can be achieved only under one condition - that both sides of the confict all the sudden won't be able to fight the war of maneuvre.

Example - at the late 1914 (some good triggers are needed) all the sides are hit by event, that gives them "Trench warfare" technology. This tech rises GD of all land units by 20 points, defense efficiency by 20% (so only 1% SA will hit) and lowers SA of all land units by 5 points. Effect - breaking the front is serious problem, only really overwhelming force can do that.

Technologies developed during the war will gradually limit "Trench Warfare" effects (rising SA, adding various modifiers, adding tanks/planes to the equation).