• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Androktonos

Corporal
1 Badges
Sep 7, 2018
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
Hi, how are you? I've had the same problem in my two last burgundian campaigns (I started the second hoping that it was a bug only for that campaign, but it hasn't dissapeared). When I (Burgundy) become the HR emperor, I lose the Imperial Membership. I don't have Exclusion Casus Belli against foreign countries which own imperial land either. Is there a patch to fix it or something else? I'm playing DW 5.2.

Thanks in advance.

The Emperor of the HRE doesn't get all the same benefits as the other members, there's at least one thing the Emperor's country loses. I was able to declare wars on outsider countries (using the Imperial Ban) as Burgundy in my last campaign, with no problems, but I believe that one related CB is only good for a year. I don't have access to the game here, so I can't check the details. You should still get credit for liberating HRE provinces from outsiders, no matter the CB used, although it will affect the Infamy cost.

The REAL difficulty with Burgundy is that if you do manage to pass the final reform and inherit the entire remaining HRE, you get the provinces WITHOUT any improvements, because you're from a different cultural group......and then your country is "inherited" by the HRE, which is Germanic, so your existing Burgundy provinces all lose their improvements as well. Basically, it puts you back 300 years in economic development.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hi, how are you? I've had the same problem in my two last burgundian campaigns (I started the second hoping that it was a bug only for that campaign, but it hasn't dissapeared). When I (Burgundy) become the HR emperor, I lose the Imperial Membership. I don't have Exclusion Casus Belli against foreign countries which own imperial land either. Is there a patch to fix it or something else? I'm playing DW 5.2.

Thanks in advance.

Hi ! Losing the imperial membership as HR emperor is normal, you get other bonuses. What you call exclusion casus belli looks to me like the imperial ban, a casus belli against non-HRE member who holds HRE land ? In which case, it's a permanent casus belli but you need to pass the first imperial reform to get it ("call for reichsreform").

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Emperor of the HRE doesn't get all the same benefits as the other members, there's at least one thing the Emperor's country loses. I was able to declare wars on outsider countries (using the Imperial Ban) as Burgundy in my last campaign, with no problems, but I believe that one related CB is only good for a year. I don't have access to the game here, so I can't check the details. You should still get credit for liberating HRE provinces from outsiders, no matter the CB used, although it will affect the Infamy cost.

The REAL difficulty with Burgundy is that if you do manage to pass the final reform and inherit the entire remaining HRE, you get the provinces WITHOUT any improvements, because you're from a different cultural group......and then your country is "inherited" by the HRE, which is Germanic, so your existing Burgundy provinces all lose their improvements as well. Basically, it puts you back 300 years in economic development.
What a fail, I thought the country would keep burgundian as its main culture but accepting germanic cultures. My plan was to rebuild Charlemagne's empire, but one of the main points of my campaigns is the cultural cohesion so I think I'll only do it as a germanic. I did it as Holland (then Netherlands, then HRE) and was awesome.

Correction if I may, the issue is that buildings/improvements will be lost only on the newly acquired land and only if they couldn't be assigned your cores during acquisition, with the factor of assigning cores being borders and not culture. As an example, starting Burgundy has borders to German Austria, but not to French Lorraine, and with such borders it will get both cores & buildings on Austria but not on Lorraine.

The cultural problem, however, is that a French Burgundy will create a French HRE, and that will cause it to miss out on an HRE-specific bonus, the bonus being if the HRE was of German culture, then all other German cultures will be forcibly marked as accepted cultures. I do not know if such lack of this bonus is a bug or by design, but if anyone knows an easy file fix for it, sharing would be very appreciated.

In-game, you can try & culture-convert Burgundy to German to not miss out on the bonus, and in fact even though the HRE (like most other unifications) is normally not allowed to culture-convert, it has an exception for German and can culture-convert to that.

- KitCat.

• 1Like
Reactions:
OK, I got the end results right, but the reason backward. Bottom line is that I lost ALL of my province improvements and those of the HRE member states (other than forts and factories, which are not culture-dependent) upon inheriting the HRE in two games, one as Burgundy, one as Hungary. Good to know that it's possible to convert Burgundy to Germanic culture; I'll have to look into it at some point.

If the Hungary in question wasn't a member, then I wonder if that would affect the results...

Just to be clear though, as Burgundy you should still retain things like Constables and Workshops from your own land, and from those members bordering you. Only re-stating since the text seemingly could be interpreted otherwise.

I ran into another interesting situation. My king is currently Emperor of the HRE and inherited Lithuania (and Milan and Brandenburg) after having forced them into a Personal Union. That put me adjacent to and at war against the Golden Horde, but all of their provinces in the visible areas of the map are already occupied, mostly by Muscovy and Novgorod, with a few by Georgia and a few by kingdoms far to the east, but Muscovy occupies the two GH provinces adjacent to me. Basically, I can't fight the GH because they've got no armies in the area and no unoccupied provinces I can take, but they won't end the war with 0 war score even if I surrender and pay 5 years of heavy tribute. Meanwhile, England (which now holds half of France and various scattered provinces around the known world, making them the top military and naval threat) took an HRE province and released it to the Emperor, which now makes 4 illegal HRE provinces that I hold. The other 3 cannot be released because they have lost all of their cores during repeated annexations before being released to the Emperor as well, and now I cannot release the 4th while at war.

My king, who had a high enough diplomatic skill to inherit Lithuania and other countries upon his coronation, passed away only 3 years later, leaving the Empire to an infant heir (4/5/6 skills) and a regency council with 0 Diplomatic skill (6/3/5). That leaves me in the red for Infamy decay, and depending on how many Cardinals I have at the Vatican, generally leaves me either at +0.08 or +0.18 Infamy per year. I've already built an Embassy (-0.4 Infamy per year) and hired the best advisor I can with my Cultural Tradition to reduce Infamy (-0.15 per year), but that's insufficient to lower Infamy until the current heir reaches maturity in another decade or so. I'm fully expecting Burgundy to release another 1 or 2 illegal provinces in the next year or two, which will increase the rate of Infamy gain substantially. With the regency, I can't even declare war on the countries holding those Golden Horde provinces to hasten the end of the present war, and Muscovy in particular is currently gaining a mere 5 colonists per month with close to 500 in its highest occupied province, meaning around 8-9 more years until it defects to them.

The annoying aspects are that you cannot release a province that doesn't have a core, and that you cannot end a war against a country that you have no possible contact with unless you surrender and offer ridiculous incentives, sometimes even if you DO offer ridiculous incentives.

Don't you just love it when you've totally destroyed a country's army and navy, have around +10 war score, are currently besieging their capital, and they offer terms of surrender....YOUR surrender.....demanding provinces that they don't even occupy, demanding the release of vassals, and insisting on you handing them your entire treasury. The AI can demand provinces it doesn't occupy (and worse, the AI will occasionally accept those terms from another AI country), but the player is not even allowed to make such an offer, much less have it accepted. I've had a situation in one game where Venice would not even accept ANY terms short of ME surrendering, despite me having a +99 war score. Until I managed to sink their fleet (not a trivial task with a Naval Force Limit expanded to 3), they wouldn't agree to give up even a single ducat. Clearly, the AI does not play by the same rules as the player, nor does it treat the player the same as the other AI countries.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yeah, AI does frequently ask for ludicrous peace terms when they're not quite occupied yet. At least their stubbornness is sometimes in the right place, because one common case is the player really wanting any early peace to avoid others declaring their wars on them for being already embroiled, or to avoid missing or delaying other objectives, or to avoid the enemy successfully acquiring a new ally who joins the war and changes the situation. In said scenarios it makes sense for the opposition to not expedite peace, sometimes. Question is, how easy or hard is it to develop an AI thought process that correctly evaluates if such a course of action is worth it or not? The current logic is sure not sophisticated (to our wishes at least), and it's not always accurate, but for its level of complexity it is serving.

There is of course the other (second) case which is when they'll obviously lose, in which case their offers don't matter anyway because their enemy will usually either wanna advance the score for more demands, or there's some degree of mismatch between both parties' planned offers, so in both cases the offer will just be refused so whether & whatever is sent is just irrelevant except for diplomat waste. I suppose if each AI valued peace items' worthiness differently from the other, then this second case wouldn't really be irrelevant, and they should instead care to think and offer properly, but, I wouldn't know anything this deep about the AI.

Obviously, some situations end up screwy, as you Venice and Golden Horde ones are. I've had cases where Timurids conceded for me without me doing anything to them though, so that could happen, but not frequently for sure. I don't suppose Muscowy will ignore rebels you spy-spawn over their occupations or via the increasing rebel "occupied" modifer... but the 5 per month growth is just wrong, minimum is 8 and that's at 0% maintenance...

As for Venice, with un-negotiating AI there is a trick usable with enough war score: A cheap enough offer will damage their stability upon refusal. The game in fact mentions this in the screen where you specify your demands, which fortunately also mentions if they'll accept or refuse the offer. +3 to -3 stability would be a death sentence for some nations, just the +9 revolt risk and less tax from revolt risk and stabiliy combined should persuade them to earlier negotiations, or at least guarantee longer post-war damage if that is desirable. Maybe even add the stability-cost-increase spy to the mix.

As for AI asking for provinces they don't occupy, it should only be cores that they can ask for, and the player can do the same. It costs twice the price when not occupied though.

For HRE's illegal territory case, do HRE members outright refuse to buy HRE territory without cores, even if for free, neighboring, and same religion & culture? Also, when you got the event to receive the territory, was the option to release it as part of the event available? In any case, it's quite unlucky & weird all useful cores got removed... I wonder what rebels such a province would spawn. Reminds me of when I was in HRE and cultural rebels outside of me handed me HRE land, but it had no core of mine...

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: