(Bug) Traffic jam - Cars keep despawning

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

hipsu555

Recruit
Oct 26, 2023
I keep noticing that vehicles are constantly despawning at intersections where traffic is not running smoothly. The traffic situation doesn't seem to have any influence on my city at all. Normally I would expect the traffic to get worse and worse and eventually come to a standstill, but that never happens, the vehicles just despawn at some point.

They despawn so that traffic doesn't come to a standstill. That's a feature, not a bug and was the same in CS. However there is a penalty involved as cargo has to start its journey all over again. Same as CS.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I keep noticing that vehicles are constantly despawning at intersections where traffic is not running smoothly. The traffic situation doesn't seem to have any influence on my city at all. Normally I would expect the traffic to get worse and worse and eventually come to a standstill, but that never happens, the vehicles just despawn at some point.
There is a separate, dedicated forum for bugs… :rolleyes:

Reactions:
They despawn so that traffic doesn't come to a standstill. That's a feature, not a bug and was the same in CS. However there is a penalty involved as cargo has to start its journey all over again. Same as CS.
Thats like having a build-in cheat. If my road-network is build so badly hat nobody can drive anymore, my city should go to ruin and I have to start all over again. Right now it feels like the game is always holding your hand and you cannot fail whatever you do

• 5Like
Reactions:
Call it a cheat or a failsafe or whatsoever. I guess it would be way more frustrating if you build a city and have to literally start from scratch or load an autosave because you built an intersection in the wrong place and your city collapses. No, honestly, I prefer despawns if your roads get really clogged. Rather have a game mechanic that lets businesses and industries go at lower efficiency if its employees have a hard time getting to work.

Reactions:
Thats like having a build-in cheat. If my road-network is build so badly hat nobody can drive anymore, my city should go to ruin and I have to start all over again. Right now it feels like the game is always holding your hand and you cannot fail whatever you do
I mean, the game does have a floor that prevents you from crashing and burning, but the flip side is that your city grows slower from the consequence of a congested network.

There is incentive for the player to improve their network, but the game isn't designed to discourage players from doing whatever they want. Otherwise, you're just forcing players to play the game a certain way which isn't necessarily fun.

The game has a builtin so-called "Traffic AI", so what is the purpose of having an AI? If your traffic design was made so badly you should feel the consequences and do it better next time. And anyway there is always the possibility to take a loan and fix your traffic issues.

Last edited:
I mean, the game does have a floor that prevents you from crashing and burning, but the flip side is that your city grows slower from the consequence of a congested network.

There is incentive for the player to improve their network, but the game isn't designed to discourage players from doing whatever they want. Otherwise, you're just forcing players to play the game a certain way which isn't necessarily fun.
In this case the game should have different modes. An easy mode how it is right now and a hard mode without despawning traffic and corresponding consequences for a poor road network. On the steam store page it states "The most realistic and detailed city builder ever" and I dont think despawning cars are that realistic.

• 2Like
Reactions:
It's more a failsafe, and I find it rather necessary.
There are situations where traffic blocks completely (e.g., a car tries to turn left but it can't do it because there is traffic on the other side, so it gets stuck blocking the flow on its lane up to the roundabout, which in turn blocks the flow on the opposite lane because the roundabout is blocked, and that just creates hell on all major roads) without involving clear bugs, like car that just sits there blocking the road for no reason.
What I find rather annoying, although understandable, is that public transportation despaws too, dumping sometimes hundreds of pedestrians who do very little to improve the traffic situation, wondering from one side to the other a blocking pedestrian crossings.
But I wouldn't get too hard on a choice like this, the path searching is probably the most complex part of the simulation (which I suspect is what is killing the performances) and it's inevitable to have to find shortcuts at some point.

• 1Like
Reactions:
In this case the game should have different modes. An easy mode how it is right now and a hard mode without despawning traffic and corresponding consequences for a poor road network. On the steam store page it states "The most realistic and detailed city builder ever" and I dont think despawning cars are that realistic.
"Realism" implies that it's something similar to real life, but not necessarily a copy of it. It's also not necessarily realistic for a city to "fail" from a bad road network as there aren't thousands of abandoned cities around due to traffic problems in real life. Even the economic impact of congestion let alone gridlock is measured in years with scales of cities currently not attainable in Cities Skylines. So it's kind of a moot point on whether cars despawn or not or how often.

Reactions:
It's more a failsafe, and I find it rather necessary.
There are situations where traffic blocks completely (e.g., a car tries to turn left but it can't do it because there is traffic on the other side, so it gets stuck blocking the flow on its lane up to the roundabout, which in turn blocks the flow on the opposite lane because the roundabout is blocked, and that just creates hell on all major roads) without involving clear bugs, like car that just sits there blocking the road for no reason.
What I find rather annoying, although understandable, is that public transportation despaws too, dumping sometimes hundreds of pedestrians who do very little to improve the traffic situation, wondering from one side to the other a blocking pedestrian crossings.
But I wouldn't get too hard on a choice like this, the path searching is probably the most complex part of the simulation (which I suspect is what is killing the performances) and it's inevitable to have to find shortcuts at some point.
The fail safe should be a "clear visible traffic" button that the user initiates. Automatic failsafes like this are causing half the "bugs" I've seen reported.

• 1Like
Reactions:
"Realism" implies that it's something similar to real life, but not necessarily a copy of it.
Why quote something it does not even say. It says "realistic" and realistic means corresponding to reality; lifelike. Cars should never despawn and if the traffic blocks completly that means the traffic-AI is just garbage and should be improved. They just took the easy way and make them despawn rather than working on the AI.

• 1Like
Reactions:
yes the cars blocking themself , instead they are programming a more intelligent AI that these situations are not happen.
Its okey, when they are turning around to waiting long, but when they are blocking the cross, coz all 4 fehicles drive into the cross, that they are blocking the cross, thats terrible programed, yes and that happen within roundabouts/crossings and such things

I think some people here are underestimating the complexity of simulating the interactions of hundreds or thousands of movements in real time, with path finding, lane changing, parking and leaving parking, transporting and delivering, etc.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If there is deadlock, cars should turn around and re-route. They do if there's an accident triggered. But not if there's gridlock.
Despawning as a fail safe, just passes on the issue to something else, like the ambulance never getting to its destination, so the cim dies and a hearse spawns, which also doesn't make it because it takes the same route and also de-spawns.

Vehicles should also not enter intersections unless the exit is clear, this causes a lot of the grid-lock issues.
And they also shouldn't change lanes at nodes in right angles, slowing to an almost stop in order to do so, they should initiate a lane change and merge over.
Also, they seem to "push left / right" depending on what hand traffic there is, which is why they use car-parks as roads.

And, emergency vehicles still don't do emergency vehicle things, they sit and wait in traffic.

As for the complexity of it, sure it can be complex, but its not recalculating and re-routing everything in real time making decisions in real-time per vehicle / cim, not a chance. Its more likely that routes are pre-planned, including allocating parking before hand (allowing them to decide to use a car or not) etc, that much became fairly clear when observing some of the prior traffic bugs. But of course, I don't know the code so I dont know the specifics, so take it with a grain of salt.

But, many bugs exist, traffic breaks due to many things, vehicles despawn and never make it to their destination... this is CS2, it is what it is. You can try and work around it, but its inevitable.

• 2Like
Reactions:
When they are despawn, are they "gone"?
And where are they - are they in a shorter time at their destination? Are they death and in the death-statistic?
And what dose that mean for the other economy? Or is there just an "amnesia" for all other things as they are never exists these "agents"
As every single agent has a life path

This game is made by kindergartners for kindergartners. Nothing in it makes sense. Every bug is a feature. Simulation is fake. $90 price tag. I do feel cheated. I paid $90 and didn’t get what was advertised. I would kindly appreciate to have my hard earned money refunded, pretty please

When they are despawn, are they "gone"?
And where are they - are they in a shorter time at their destination? Are they death and in the death-statistic?
And what dose that mean for the other economy? Or is there just an "amnesia" for all other things as they are never exists these "agents"
As every single agent has a life path
In CS people teleport to their destination and goods teleport to their origin.

No no, it's literally a feature. It's a feature because the traffic AI is actually worse than what it was in CS1 and that traffic AI was so bad it needed despawning, but never to this extend.
I mean, even your public transport - which is supposed to alleviate traffic (it doesn't, traffic stays the same, because traffic is faked) despawns - leaving all the passengers on the road causing even more traffic issues.

public transport - which is supposed to alleviate traffic (it doesn't, traffic stays the same, because traffic is faked) despawns -

I'm not sure if this is true, I did see traffic going down a lot after installing a good tram line. It takes time because people have to switch from whatever transportation they were using to the new one -and because the simulation was already slow at that point- but I did notice a decrease in cars.