• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello, I'll give some background before explaining my bug in order to provide some context. I've been playing ck2 for a while now and my favorite time period to start are as William the Conqueror and Robert Guiscard in 1066. Since they are norman, I downloaded a mod called 'Raiding Normans' because I wanted to be able to raid if I wanted to. Fast forward a month ago, I started playing with the HIP mod and today I wanted to start a new campaign without the HIP interface module because its too big for my 13" Macbook Pro and when I have more than one army in an enemy county, the siege window moves the army's interfaces up and outside my screen so I can't combine them or organize it anyway I want to but that's okay, that not why I'm here. Another thing I want to do was to remove the 'Raiding Normans' mod since I don't use it anymore and I don't want the AI using it as well. So I did two things, 1. install the HIP mod again via the terminal to uninstall the interface module and 2. unsubscribed from the 'Raiding Normans' mod from steam (and deleted the files). But now, anytime I try to launch the game it crashes anytime I don't have that mod active. Now, I never would have thought that mod would be the problem but I tested it out and the only time the game crashes at launch is if the HIP mod is active and the Raiding Normans isn't. But this is not the only issue I'm having. While I was trying to figure out what was going on, I uninstalled and installed the game again to 'reset' the game files but no, the crash still occurs so I said fine, I'll just play with the mod, it's weird but no big deal. But now, there is a new bug. When the game successfully launches, many cultures are bugged and it says noculture instead. I can confirm this happens to the Anglo-saxons and some African cultures and ONLY when I play with the HIP mod active. I really do not want to play while this occurs but I CAN'T play without HIP, especially without the EMF and map modules so that is why I'm reporting this bug. I believe it has something to do with a game file relating to cultures and most probably localisation as well. I'm not very tech/systems savy so it's just a guess as both problems are related to cultures. Something worth mentioning is that I don't have any DLC nor any save game file since I uninstalled the game like a previously stated. It is really weird that a small standalone mod will be dependent to another mod in order to work.

This is my version.txt:
[ HIP Release: 2020-07-10 (Frosty3) ]
EMF: Extended Mechanics & Flavor (v11.2 - 2020-07-09)
Arumba and Internal Tab Shortcuts (2020-05-12)
ARKO Interface (2020-06-28)
SWMH (v3.42 - 2020-07-08)
MiniSWMH: Performance-Friendly SWMH (v1.7.2 - 2020-05-18)
SED: English Localisation for SWMH (v2.2.30 - 2020-06-05)
ARKO Armoiries (2020-06-28)
LTM (C - 2019-12-02)

And here is my mod list: I know they are a lot but I was playing with all of them without the noculture bug before re-installing the HIP modules.

Artifact Acquisition and Overhaul

Better Christian CB (not active)

Caesar’s Books

Claim All de Jure Titles

Colored Buttons

Destroy Holdings

Expanded Traits

Great Works Models (not active)

Great Works Models - HIP

HIP - Historical Immersion Project

Hip - Improved Genetics Stable

Historic Buildings

Historic Buildings - HIP compact

Historical and Fantastical Artifacts

Improved Genetics 2.0 (Not active)

Less Random Deadly Duels

Lulu Events

MTA - New Artifacts

MTA - Vice and Virtue

Merciless Ruler

More Buildable Wonders

More realistic Crime and Punishment

Nicknames +++

No Great Work Construction Penalty

No Interreligious Defensive Pacts

Orange Ransom Button

Principalities, Margraviates & Grand Duchies (doesn’t seem to work but active)

Raiding Normans

Rename Anyone

Rename Titles v.1.0

Rich Childhood

Sarc’s Tweak Series: High Stat Councilors

Sarc’s Ward Attribute Teaching

Scandinavian Raiders

Sketchy Traits

Stop vassals’s external wars

Succession Astronomia

The Orders of Chivalry

Title Manager

Trais Softcap Exterminated

University

VIET Events Reborn

Visit Chambers TD

Your Personal Castle

LMM Councillor XP

LMM Immersive Title Grant

LMM Invite With Promises

LMM Spouse Empowerment

VS Army Leader Dynamic trait

Ok, I did a few more test. It is definitely the HIP's MAP module that is causing both the 'nonculture' bug and the crash if I don't have the 'Raiding Normans' mod.

However, after like an hour of testing each individual mod with only the HIP mod and by adding one by one I learned that the one that was causing the bugs was 'Lulu Events'. I don't know why that mod would affect the game files so drastically, especially the ones regarding culture if this another mod intended to add more flavorful events. Well, I finally can pay with the SWMH map and without the 'nonculture' bug nor the Raiding Normans' mod. I will leave these three replies here in case it helps anyone.

I've repeatedly encountered the situation where a powerful vassal's peronal faction declared war (to "oust foreigners" or some such) while realm peace was being enforced, then got annoyed for it being immediately ended (hefty -40 Tyrant modifier). I understand the opinion penalty when realm peace is specifically introduced to thwart them, but are they supposed to still start faction wars knowing that nothing can come of it? Seems a bit odd, considering they don't start regular wars during realm peace.

Playing as a Republic, it is somehow possible to 'inherit' another Patrician's house, possessing both your original house as well as the new one under your list of titles.

20201116132458_1.jpg

In the graphic above you can see both listed during my recent Republic of Wales game. My dynasty is Ap Oslyn, the new/second house is Siencyns. During a civil war, I'd managed to wipe out most of House Siencyns. I engaged their last surviving heir in a duel, in which both their heir and my guy both died. Suddenly my character's successor finds themselves in possession of their household as you can see.

20201116132444_1.jpg

This wouldn't be so much of an issue, except that their house holding has now superceded mine. Whereas I'd invested tonnes of money on upgrading my house (basically maxxed out with upgrades), I'm now left with the comparatively much weaker household above. I can neither destroy their house title nor seemingly access my older / far superior one.

Game breaking bug for me. I'd advise anyone considering playing Republics to avoid until this can be fixed!

SED: English Localisation for SWMH (v2.2.30 - 2020-06-05)
LTM (C - 2019-12-02)
CPRplus (v3.1.4 - 2020-01-06)

Started as the Muslim Duke of Sicily under the Fatimids in the Age of Kings bookmark.

Byzantine DoW us with either a Holy War or Imperial Reconquest. Can't remember.

Fatimids lost and I was given 3 options at the end.
1. Convert
2. Convert falsely
3. Do not convert, game over.

I chose #1 and war was over but I remained under the Fatimids as a Christian vassal.

Seems like I experienced the same bug as here.

Last edited:
Hello dear Team of HIP. This is a quote from my question/ bug report I sent in the steam community forums not long ago.
I hope it's ok if I quote it that way it's shown here.

Much love for your mod and your work so far.
Hello folks,
I tried out to play CK2 with only HIP activated in the Launcher on the bookmarked start date from 867 and the snow seems to stay in the spring. Even in the souther parts of France and northern parts of Lombardy.

I play on the up to date versions of HIP and CK2 and no other mods were activated.

Even if it's only a small detail, it annoys me a bit.

Are there any solutions for this problem?

Update: So it seems that the season-appropriate surface (snow or no snow) that exists after the start dates does never change. The start date of 937 for example is in August and there is no snow anywhere on the map

Here is the version.txt:
LTM (C - 2019-12-02)

Update: Winter after starting 936 seems to have an impact because there snow is in Northern and central europe in december.

Update II: So playing as a feudal count (Lippe) in 867 seems to be normal according to seasonal change on the terrain map.
It does change circa in April.
I added two pictures in the spoiler space.
Playing as the high chief of Krivichia (Tribal/ slavic) in August of 867
20201204013900_1.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Playing as the count of Lippe (feudal/ catholic) in August of 867
20201204014639_1.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,

I understand if no one can help me with this issue as it's quite an old release. But if possible, any help would be appreciated. My game crashes to desktop semi-randomly ALWAYS on the 15th of a month. The month seemed to change and I could reboot the save and continue, resorting to frequent auto saves. Now, the game always crashes on July 15, 1012. I'm not sure why. I've read on some forums about a potential problem with republic retinues leading to this error?

This is my version.txt
[HIP Release 2018-06-21 (Hydra6)]
Arumba and Internal Tab Shortcuts (2018-06-16)
ARKO Interface (2018-06-16)
SWMH (v3.12 - 2018-06-21)
MiniSWMH: Performance-Friendly SWMH (v1.3.7-BETA - 2018-05-13)
SED: English Localisation for SWMH (v2.2.18 - 2018-05-19)
ARKO Armoiries (2018-06-16)
LTM (C - 2017-12-09)

I am running CK2 Version 2.8.3.4, which I believe is the current version for my version of HIP.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hello,

I understand if no one can help me with this issue as it's quite an old release. But if possible, any help would be appreciated. My game crashes to desktop semi-randomly ALWAYS on the 15th of a month. The month seemed to change and I could reboot the save and continue, resorting to frequent auto saves. Now, the game always crashes on July 15, 1012. I'm not sure why. I've read on some forums about a potential problem with republic retinues leading to this error?

This is my version.txt
LTM (C - 2017-12-09)

I am running CK2 Version 2.8.3.4, which I believe is the current version for my version of HIP.

Hello, friend! I'm by no means an expert on the game or at modding or anything really related to pc gaming but I have almost 700 hours of play time on this game.

1. There is a more updated version of the HIP expansion out there and I believe its 'HIP_2020-07-10_Frosty3.7z'. Why do you play on an old version is beyond me but I do recommend you install the latest one.
2. The fact that you are still playing on a old version of HIP means you are also playing on an old version of the base game itself, the latest is 3.3.3.
3. Do you have any other mods installed? I've had several crashes and bugs that were really frustrating and made the game beyond unplayable so I started to remove one by one until the bugs/crashes desisted to see which one was the one causing it.

TLDR; I really can't tell you what is the cause of your problem, especially because I don't have either the Republic DLC or the one that enabled retinues. However, what I can tell is that your problem would almost likely be fixed if you update both the HIP and the base game to it's latest patch. Think about it, playing on old versions means playing with bugs that have already been fixed and missing out on playing on a more stable game overall. Hopes this helps.

Hello,

This is my version.txt
LTM (C - 2017-12-09)

That happened to me too some time ago, I believe switching to another character right before the day that caused the crash and then changing back to your character the day after fixed it for me, although that may have been anecdotal or unique to my bug, but it might be worth a try.

Hello, friend! I'm by no means an expert on the game or at modding or anything really related to pc gaming but I have almost 700 hours of play time on this game.

1. There is a more updated version of the HIP expansion out there and I believe its 'HIP_2020-07-10_Frosty3.7z'. Why do you play on an old version is beyond me but I do recommend you install the latest one.
2. The fact that you are still playing on a old version of HIP means you are also playing on an old version of the base game itself, the latest is 3.3.3.
3. Do you have any other mods installed? I've had several crashes and bugs that were really frustrating and made the game beyond unplayable so I started to remove one by one until the bugs/crashes desisted to see which one was the one causing it.

TLDR; I really can't tell you what is the cause of your problem, especially because I don't have either the Republic DLC or the one that enabled retinues. However, what I can tell is that your problem would almost likely be fixed if you update both the HIP and the base game to it's latest patch. Think about it, playing on old versions means playing with bugs that have already been fixed and missing out on playing on a more stable game overall. Hopes this helps.

I am unable to update as I would likely lose a save I am trying to complete, otherwise I would very much like to update. I just doubt the save would survive the transfer. I'm running no other mods.

Hey, I've never posted a bug report before so I apologize if I'm missing a piece of information required. My issue is that I'm attempting to install Frosty 3 and every time I try I get this error. It tells me to send this to the HIP team and so that is what I'm attempting to do. If you need any other information, let me know and I'll get it. I'd really like to figure out the issue here because HIP is what keeps me coming back to CK2. Thanks in advance.
16141478640528810330688802669953.jpg

The Roger de Hauteville (211502) bloodline is set to only be active on characters in the Italian culture group, ruling out both Roger himself and, if my look through his family tree as of the last bookmark is correct, all of his male-line descendents, on account of them all being Norman. Seems like the correct cultures for the bloodline to be active (and to be affected by the opinion boost) would be Norman, Sicilian and Neapolitan (plus, possibly, Outremer, given Sicily's location and historical involvement with the Southern Mediterranean).

• 1Like
Reactions:
The way cadet dynasties are working In current version, Karling heirs more often than not create cadet dynasties, getting the "Karling usurper" trait, giving them +25 opinion modifier to their vassals. Is this WAD?
An old post, but since nobody addressed it yet:

In Frosty3, characters only need a fixed 500 prestige to create a cadet dynasty, which Karlings can easily approach through Dynastic Prestige, which results in a spam of Karling cadet branches. I posted a patch in the HIP subforum here that addresses this issue by making the prestige requirements for forming a cadet dynasty depend on the tier of the Dynastic Head.

Councillors seem to be deciding their votes on the Lollard targeted decision to revoke theocratic vassal titles as if the revoker were the one on the receiving end: council members who were close family of the character revoking the titles objected on the grounds that it would affect a family member (despite the bishop being revoked from having no family), and other council members objected on grounds that it would weaken a powerful vassal (despite the revokee being a single-barony bishop in a realm of size ~250)

This was in Frosty3 with EMF v11.2.
Thank you for this very informative post. The bug was exactly as you described. I fixed this in the patch I posted in the HIP subforum here.

The Roger de Hauteville (211502) bloodline is set to only be active on characters in the Italian culture group, ruling out both Roger himself and, if my look through his family tree as of the last bookmark is correct, all of his male-line descendents, on account of them all being Norman. Seems like the correct cultures for the bloodline to be active (and to be affected by the opinion boost) would be Norman, Sicilian and Neapolitan (plus, possibly, Outremer, given Sicily's location and historical involvement with the Southern Mediterranean).
Another very descriptive bug report. In my unofficial HIP patch I adjusted Roger's bloodline to also apply to, and affect, characters with Norman culture in addition to the Italian culture group.

• 2Like
Reactions:
@Svatopluk you're doing amazing work with your fixes since CK3 is a mess and we still love to play CK2 with HIP.
Cheers!

This might just be me being stupid, but when I try to download the mod nothing happens, is there a specific link I have to use?

Very first line of the very first post of this thread is a link. Clicking that link should automatically start the download of a 7z zipped folder. Extract that folder and run the installer within it.

Yeah, sorry, at first the link wasnt downloading anything but once I copied the address it worked. now to get the extractor to work...

Hey guys, I might be very late to the party. I've downloaded HIP last year and I've been experiencingthe same issue all over: after about 50 years of gameplay, the game just freezes so badly that's it takes a system restart to solve. I've then reinstalled the mod, since everytime I continued the campaign, the game just crashed the same way seconds after unpausing. Reinstalling the mod solved the problem just fine, I even managed to save my campaign in desktop to keep playing. However, after another 40 - 50 years of gameplay, it happened again e the process goes all over.

Please, I might be asking for something already widly discussed, but I do enjoy this mod, you guys have made an incredible job and I'd like to go back to it once more, without the issue. I've played CK3 also and it's just not vagely as cool as CK2 with HIP!

Hope to discuss the matter, thanks guys!

LTM (C - 2019-12-02)

Strangely it concern only the "Age of the normands" bookmark
The autosave firing every year cause the game to crash
In fact every time I try to manually save, the game crash

Last edited: