• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is there a way to see what is causing a crash? I started a game in late 1271 and I autosave monthly. The game crashed shortly after the January 1273 save. Now if I try to load Jan. 1273 it crashes before loading the map. I also tried loading Dec. 1272 but that crashed immediately upon loading. How would I tell what is causing this?

I started another game and now the same thing is happening. Does anyone know how to tell what's causing an in-game crash OR why a save that was made while the game was running crashes upon loading? It seems just like the game starts getting interesting it crashes. I'm getting very discouraged.

I started another game and now the same thing is happening. Does anyone know how to tell what's causing an in-game crash OR why a save that was made while the game was running crashes upon loading? It seems just like the game starts getting interesting it crashes. I'm getting very discouraged.

This is probably a vanilla issue. I suggest that you file a bug report to Paradox. An autosave should never crash immediately while loading.

There are plenty of things that mods can mess-up / fail to integrate properly with vanilla patch / DLC changes which can cause a crash upon a specific date (same goes for vanilla), but there are none that would corrupt a savegame in the way that you describe.

I would recommend uninstalling HIP and any other mods you have enabled and either verifying the integrity of your game cache via the Steam interface or Deleting Local Content and then reinstalling the game (via Steam). Then verify that the problem doesn't recur with vanilla and their checksum. Then reinstall HIP fresh, and give it a go. Might want to wait for today's / tonight's (depending upon where you are) new release while you're at it, though.

I am getting a repeatable crash on Sept. 23, 1199. Is there a way to see what is triggering at that point that might be causing the crash?

Have you tried reloading from an earlier save and seeing if you can get past that date?

Is there a way to see what is causing a crash? I started a game in late 1271 and I autosave monthly. The game crashed shortly after the January 1273 save. Now if I try to load Jan. 1273 it crashes before loading the map. I also tried loading Dec. 1272 but that crashed immediately upon loading. How would I tell what is causing this?

Nontrivial answer (how you would tell what is causing this). Even if it weren't likely a vanilla issue (or a confluence of the mods and broken vanilla behavior), it is sometimes possible to find pending events for a specific day in the future which might be causing the crash (from savegame analysis). However, if such an event were causing the crash, it would more likely be the result of saved random seed in the savegame (which is why save-scumming sometimes doesn't work unless you do a bunch of dramatically different things immediately upon load) yielding the same projected firing date of a random event, something which would not be detectable.

Reminder:

Please post the list of HIP mods you're using AND any external mods you're using along with your bug report. We are hopelessly lost at giving a useful response (and, most importantly, at fixing the potential bug) otherwise. Now that HIP will shortly be on to its second release, versioning now becomes an issue as well, so please post HIP mod versions as well. Otherwise, we may wrongly assume that you're using the latest stable release.

Have you tried reloading from an earlier save and seeing if you can get past that date?

Yeah, I did and it still crashes on the same date. I think I'm going to write this game off and start a new reign, after doing everything you suggested, i.e. delete local cache, etc.

I am curious about one thing you said, however. You said that you can see some upcoming events in the save file. What part of the save file and what do they look like?

Mods used: PB, SWMH, ARKO, NBRT+, VIET Events

Problem: There's a Western African culture missing, and for example Almoravids and a few other dynasties + counties in the area end up with "noculture". Same happens in the area with the 867 startdate.

I am curious about one thing you said, however. You said that you can see some upcoming events in the save file. What part of the save file and what do they look like?

It's after the character section and relations selection (opinion modifiers & truces, basically), but that's about all I remember. I believe the section is prefaced with something like "pending_events=". I try not to remember the arcane details of the save format. Heh.

It's after the character section and relations selection (opinion modifiers & truces, basically), but that's about all I remember. I believe the section is prefaced with something like "pending_events=". I try not to remember the arcane details of the save format. Heh.

I'm probably going to have to look for it now just to satisfy my morbid curiosity.

So I have installed the patch with everything but swmh and it will not work. The mod is activated but in-game there is no change.
EDIT: fixed- install location now in doecuments

Last edited:
Hello.

I am using all modules (ARKO, SWMH, NBRT, PB, VIET) and not others mods.

I get CTDs at random dates with an error message once at desktop - can't remember what that says, though.

Here is the error log:

[texturehandler.cpp:181]: Couldn't find texture file: gfx//event_pictures//aztec_court.tga.
[spritetype.cpp:370]: Error initialising texture: gfx\\event_pictures\\aztec_court.tga for spritetype GFX_evt_emissary_mesoamerican
[spritetype.cpp:370]: Error initialising texture: gfx\\event_pictures\\aztec_court.tga for spritetype GFX_evt_throne_room_mesoamerican

I do not own SI, but all other DLC.

Thanks.

I am not sure if this is a bug, but it definitely can't be WAD!

876 start. A while back, the French Karling propped up an Antipope. This was very near the beginning. He continues to be an Antipope. Then I notice this below. The bastard-daughter of the previous legitimate pope in Rome is now a Queen-Bishop! An Antipope in the court of the current Pope, in Rome! How did this happen? I suppose I have to console-kill her, haven't I? Sigh...

ck2_2.png

EDIT:

I am using HIP without SWMH and the ARKO packs. I haven't patched to the latest release as I am afraid it might mess with my savegames

Last edited:
Using all HIP modules except SWMH, encountering problems with some VIET Immersion traits: the Shaman/griot etc traits aren't showing their icons. Resolved the issue by replacing the Viet Traits.gfx interface file in the HIP folder with the Viet Traits.gfx from the Viet Assets folder; the one in the Viet Traits folder (which merges last and thus replaces the Assets file) only contains the Congenital Traits part.

There is always a chance for a different education. Wad, to my knowledge.

Yeah, WAD.

But a little annoying in some cases, particularly where the random choice is a really low-tier education, despite the fact that you educated the child yourself and are a brilliant strategist with amazing stats. I've oft considered adding some new education mechanics, now that the on_action on_adulthood exists since 2.0. E.g., the ability for a ruler to invest gold or risk personal danger in their childs' education, along the way, to improve the chances of a higher-tier education outcome. OTOH, one could take the approach of combat trait advancement in PB (and the preexisting random battle events to improve a commander's education) and allow avenues (somehow) for potentially advancing your ruler's education trait during adulthood.

Major crusades bug: KoJ titles aren't being destroyed along with a successful jihad. I am using latest HIP patch on a save from the original HIP release. Wasn't happening before patch. I have recreated the bug multiple times. I am using all mods (SWMH, PB, ARKO, VIET, etc.)

I should also note. AI is having a tendency to have highest contributor get KoJ along with their old primary holdings. I.e. Duke of Moray becomes KoJ and keeps his land in Moray. Then after jihad, remains KoJ...in Moray.

Last edited:
Major crusades bug: KoJ titles aren't being destroyed along with a successful jihad. I am using latest HIP patch on a save from the original HIP release. Wasn't happening before patch. I have recreated the bug multiple times.

I've noticed that too. I've also noticed that after you take Anatolia, as Byzantium, none of the new imperial reconquest zones unlock.

If I recall correctly, its Anatolia, then the Balkans, then Sicily, etc... I'm just getting Anatolia and then nothing.

Using everything except SWMH and Interfaces.