• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At the absolute best, it means that you overloaded the memory and you just won't be able to run EK without common restarting due to your setup, hardware, or programs taking up memory. Second best is you have a really old system and need to update some software, which may or may not work. Third (at which point things are inherently bad) would be you might have a virus/malware/whatever limiting your system capability. Worst is that your hardware is actually damaged, but you don't push it enough to notice it that often.

Probably wont be due to memory, EK essentially uses all memory on start-up, so if memory was the problem, it would crash long before he gets to selecting or even be able to start playing as anything. Drivers might be one issue, but the problem seems too specific for that to account for it, if it only ever happened in EK and nowhere else. Virus seems unlikely because it would be a odd thing to be only noticed during playing of CK2, though its not essentially ruled out either. Damaged hardware would be another likely candidate, most likely the graphics card.

So going by all that, the problem might actually be overheating, or in most cases, its a precursor to bluescreens. So either the PC overheated and was essentially five steps away from shutting down on its own, or it was stuck in a loop of trying to load something, failing and eventually giving up without actually going into a bluescreen.

Probably wont be due to memory, EK essentially uses all memory on start-up, so if memory was the problem, it would crash long before he gets to selecting or even be able to start playing as anything. Drivers might be one issue, but the problem seems too specific for that to account for it, if it only ever happened in EK and nowhere else. Virus seems unlikely because it would be a odd thing to be only noticed during playing of CK2, though its not essentially ruled out either. Damaged hardware would be another likely candidate, most likely the graphics card.

So going by all that, the problem might actually be overheating, or in most cases, its a precursor to bluescreens. So either the PC overheated and was essentially five steps away from shutting down on its own, or it was stuck in a loop of trying to load something, failing and eventually giving up without actually going into a bluescreen.

Memory was mostly in conjunction with virus or faulty drivers. They try to do something while CK2 is hogging a massive amount of memory, it ends up being too much for the system.

I played EK for a good hour the day before the crash with no real issues, so memory doesn't seem to be a problem, unless the music pack pushed it over the edge for some reason. I don't think I have a virus but I'm running a scan now. My PC can't be older than 5 years or so, so I hope nothing is breaking in it. I also have excellent circulation on my computer so overheating definitely isn't a problem.

Game Version: 2.0.1 (I double-checked to make sure)
Mod Version: 0.1.4
Additional Mods: Music Pack
DLCs: All expansions, portrait, and unit packs.

Issue: Whenever I load a saved game, the game crashes to desktop. I have tried starting multiple new games, but all meet with the same result; the save loads, but the game then immediately CTDs. This happens to any game saved after around 6:00 PM on 12/15/13, but games saved prior to that are still loadable.

Attempted Solutions: Restarted my computer, deleted old save files (both CK2 and EK), zoomed in on the map and/or clicked through map modes before selecting a save, disabled Music Pack and unit packs, sacrificed a street urchin to Lord C'thulhu.

EDIT: Quick update on this. I disabled every DLC except Legacy of Rome and the African portrait pack, and now I can load stuff. I'm going to keep testing to see if I can find out what the conflict is.

EDIT 2: Okay, so the problem seems to be The Republic DLC. I'm not sure why; EK was running perfectly fine with it before. Perhaps there was some sort of invisible update to it? Maybe I need to admit I have a problem and stop creating merchant duchies whenever possible?

Well, regardless, disabling The Republic lets me load games just fine, even with the other DLCs enabled. Weird, but at least I can get back to creating the Empire of Tamriel with my immortal vampire king.

Last edited:
Game Version: 2.0.1 (I double-checked to make sure)
DLCs: All expansions, portrait, and unit packs.

Issue: Whenever I load a saved game, the game crashes to desktop. I have tried starting multiple new games, but all meet with the same result; the save loads, but the game then immediately CTDs. This happens to any game saved after around 6:00 PM on 12/15/13, but games saved prior to that are still loadable.

Attempted Solutions: Restarted my computer, deleted old save files (both CK2 and EK), zoomed in on the map and/or clicked through map modes before selecting a save, disabled Music Pack and unit packs, sacrificed a street urchin to Lord C'thulhu.

A street urchin? Is that the best you can do? Doesn't seem you have been trying hard enough

Well, regardless, disabling The Republic lets me load games just fine, even with the other DLCs enabled. Weird, but at least I can get back to creating the Empire of Tamriel with my immortal vampire king.

That's definitely a memory issue. Either way, don't bother loading the dynasty shields packs or Sunset Invasion, because they aren't used. That way, you might be able to load The Republic and still play EK.

That's definitely a memory issue. Either way, don't bother loading the dynasty shields packs or Sunset Invasion, because they aren't used. That way, you might be able to load The Republic and still play EK.

I know it seems that way, but my system has 16 gigs of RAM, and it doesn't matter which DLCs I have activated and which I don't--it's specifically The Republic that's causing the crash.

I wish I knew more about CK2's internal workings and could be more helpful. Just a weird issue that apparently only I'm having. But I'll check out the new version and see if it's still happening.

HALP PL0X! IT DIES 0N M3 WH1L3 L0AD1NG. I CAN N0 PLAY?!?!?

:rofl:

but yeah, I'm not sure if it's just me (since I'm also getting a CTD error during loading right around 70% of the loading bar for both EK and LI). And I'm pretty sure steam updated me to v 2.0.2.

is this a common issue affecting other mods as well?

Is the lack of an "Attraction to ___" opinion modifier (sex_appeal_opinion) intentional? Some traits that have the sex_appeal_opinion modifier like Strong don't actually change opinion for the affected parties.

Heya, I know this is a really stupid question, but I'm fairly sure I've done something wrong, I just don't know what.

A lot of the shields are just pitch black. Is there required DLC that I'm missing, have I installed it wrong, or is that just how it is right now? I can live with it, I'm just unsure right now.

Oh, also, the event where people suspect you of being a vampire mentions a guy who hasn't seen you change in twenty-five years.

I got that event once when my character was seventeen (six months after being bitten), and once when they were twenty-seven (two years after being bitten). Just pointing out that you may want to change the wording or conditions, unless the guy was a madman and thought that I looked like a non-existent entity or an infant. >_>

Is the lack of an "Attraction to ___" opinion modifier (sex_appeal_opinion) intentional? Some traits that have the sex_appeal_opinion modifier like Strong don't actually change opinion for the affected parties.

Sounds like it may be a vanilla bug.

Descendants of Dragonborns aren't getting Dragonblood, least mine isn't.

I'm not able to reproduce, in my current game the Dragonblood trait is being passed on.

Heya, I know this is a really stupid question, but I'm fairly sure I've done something wrong, I just don't know what.

A lot of the shields are just pitch black. Is there required DLC that I'm missing, have I installed it wrong, or is that just how it is right now? I can live with it, I'm just unsure right now.

Try deleting C:\Users\Mal\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\ElderKings\gfx, it's possible the game isn't recompiling the flags. Note that this is your settings folder for ElderKings, not the mod installation directory. Other than that double check to make sure you have no other mods checked, and if you have them checked disable the dynasty flags, they're not necessary for Elder Kings.

Oh, also, the event where people suspect you of being a vampire mentions a guy who hasn't seen you change in twenty-five years.

I got that event once when my character was seventeen (six months after being bitten), and once when they were twenty-seven (two years after being bitten). Just pointing out that you may want to change the wording or conditions, unless the guy was a madman and thought that I looked like a non-existent entity or an infant. >_>

:laugh: I'll let Etherion know.

Probably wont be due to memory, EK essentially uses all memory on start-up, so if memory was the problem, it would crash long before he gets to selecting or even be able to start playing as anything.

Not true. CK2 will load up even more RAM upon loading a savegame.

However, his problem does not have the symptoms of insufficient RAM.

His symptoms are more indicative of GPU VRAM going bad, which means hes going to have to replace his GPU soon.

Game Version: 2.0.1

Played as Alinor this time and I'm having black portraits come up (they seem to spread from the sister of the High King like a wierd elf version of the Black Death). I'm also still getting swarmed by blank events, and they reappear every 30 days or so, even if you save and reload. Playing with all the main DLC except sunset invasion and any aesthetic (portrait/music ect...) dlc. Please does anyone know how to resolve this? It's stopping me playing this great mod.

Game Version: 2.0.1

Played as Alinor this time and I'm having black portraits come up (they seem to spread from the sister of the High King like a wierd elf version of the Black Death). I'm also still getting swarmed by blank events, and they reappear every 30 days or so, even if you save and reload. Playing with all the main DLC except sunset invasion and any aesthetic (portrait/music ect...) dlc. Please does anyone know how to resolve this? It's stopping me playing this great mod.

Upgrade to 0.1.4a (remember to remove 0.1.4 first).

Sounds like it may be a vanilla bug.

I'm not able to reproduce, in my current game the Dragonblood trait is being passed on.

Hm, well, if it helps the Dragonborn character was female. Also, in an earlier version (1.4), a bastard of one of my sons didn't seem to get the Dragonblood trait. Not sure if this can be reproduced, but I thought I'd let you know.

Hm, well, if it helps the Dragonborn character was female. Also, in an earlier version (1.4), a bastard of one of my sons didn't seem to get the Dragonblood trait. Not sure if this can be reproduced, but I thought I'd let you know.

Bastards of descendents don't get the Descendent trait. Neither do bastards of bastards unless both parents have the descendent trait.

Status
Not open for further replies.