• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

shmerl

First Lieutenant
Nov 1, 2015
I have Tyranny Archon edition (GOG version).
GPU: Nvidia GTX 680, closed driver 370.28.
Filyesystem: XFS, partition: 1.9 TB

When I launch the game, it can't find various resources like intro video, and results in unusable GUI. Apparently, it's caused by the game being 32-bit, and compiled without -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64

Quite a number of 32-bit games are affected by this bug. I list some of them here: https://www.gog.com/mix/linux_games_with_large_xfs_partition_bug

I tested the game on smaller loop XFS partition to confirm, and it works. This issue starts on XFS partitions sized somewhere between 1 and 2 TB. I.e. below 1 TB it doesn't happen, and happens above 1.x TB. You can test it using 2TB hard drive for example.

Error log for the reference:

Code:
(Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 37)

UnloadTime: 0.131000 ms
End SaveGame Loader Thread NumSaves: 0
(Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 37)

Shader warmup: 36 shaders 355 combinations 0.148s
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at GameMode.LoadFromPrefs () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UIMainMenuManager.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
(Filename:  Line: -1)

Could not find string for Table text/game/gui.stringtable ID 1038

Could not find string for Table text/game/gui.stringtable ID 1749

Could not find string for Table text/game/gui.stringtable ID 2792

Platform assembly: /opt/games/tyranny/game/Tyranny_Data/Managed/System.Configuration.dll (this message is harmless)
QUEST PRELOAD - Thread Started NumFiles: 0

Preload Thread Ended

Could not find string for Table text/game/gui.stringtable ID 2791

Could not find string for Table text/game/gui.stringtable ID 1746

Could not find string for Table text/game/gui.stringtable ID 734

Could not find string for Table text/game/gui.stringtable ID 3429

Could not find string for Table text/game/gui.stringtable ID 85

Could not find string for Table text/game/gui.stringtable ID 86

Could not find string for Table text/game/gui.stringtable ID 577

Could not find string for Table text/game/gui.stringtable ID 1741

Could not find string for Table text/game/gui.stringtable ID 703

Could not find string for Table text/game/gui.stringtable ID 694

Could not find string for Table text/game/gui.stringtable ID 694

Could not find string for Table text/game/gui.stringtable ID 91

Could not find string for Table text/game/gui.stringtable ID 91

Could not find string for Table text/game/gui.stringtable ID 92

Could not find string for Table text/game/gui.stringtable ID 92

Could not find string for Table text/game/gui.stringtable ID 94

Could not find string for Table text/game/gui.stringtable ID 94

Could not find string for Table text/game/gui.stringtable ID 695

Could not find string for Table text/game/gui.stringtable ID 695

Could not find string for Table text/game/gui.stringtable ID 93

Could not find string for Table text/game/gui.stringtable ID 93

Could not find string for Table text/game/gui.stringtable ID 1443

Could not find string for Table text/game/gui.stringtable ID 3329

Could not find string for Table text/game/gui.stringtable ID 3436

Could not find string for Table text/game/gui.stringtable ID 1747

You can release the game in proper 64-bit to avoid this bug. Or at the very least, build the game with -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64

Because of such kind of issues it's better to avoid releasing games in 32-bit only today. Though I'm surprised it happens in Unity still. Unity supposedly fixed this bug a long time ago already. See my report from 2 years ago: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/t...ity-3d-on-large-xfs-partition-on-linux.277828

May be Unity again regressed with this bug? Or may be they never fixed it to begin with. I reported it to Unity developers now again just in case: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/tyranny-fails-on-large-xfs-partition-linux-unity3d-5-3-5p3.440949/

Can you please check whether it's a problem on your side, or something to do with default Unity build specs?

That's how the first screen looks with this bug (literally, the image isn't cut, that's exactly how it looks on screen):

1xh2vvn.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi @shmerl and @mordocai !

Sorry to hear about this issue you're having. I've sent the info you provided (and thank you for being so thorough) to our programmers so they can take a look at the problem and find a solution. We'll keep this thread updated with new info.

Thanks for your patience!
-Taylor

Hi @shmerl and @mordocai !

Sorry to hear about this issue you're having. I've sent the info you provided (and thank you for being so thorough) to our programmers so they can take a look at the problem and find a solution. We'll keep this thread updated with new info.

Thanks for your patience!
-Taylor

Thanks! Given that Windows version of Tyranny comes in 64-bit only (at least on GOG), it doesn't look like the reason for making the Linux one 32-bit was to address 32-bit systems. Percentage of Linux users using 32-bit installations is much smaller than Windows ones and it's practically non existent when gaming on Linux is concerned. It's possible default settings of the Unity editor are simply still using 32-bit on Linux, and developers can just flip it to 64-bit same as on Windows.

Interestingly, Pillars of Eternity is 64-bit on Linux, while it's using older version of Unity.

Last edited:
Developers Obsidian, can give up on this problem and can I fix it? And will it be the same problem in Pillars of eternity 2? Please respond, do not want to believe that you don't get this problem

It's been really a long time. I paid full price for this game, and it's still pretty broken for me. Using a workaround all the time is quite messy. The fix is really trivial, so I'm surprised you couldn't do it until now. What is the problem exactly? At least please comment about it.

I understand that you're not going to fix the problem and that I shouldn't have spent the money on Tyranny. But at least tell me the same bug is expected in Pillars of Eternity 2 or not?

Ah, you are right - I totally missed the recent update from June 13 (GOG didn't notify me at all that it happened). I'll test it shortly, but since it's now 64-bit, I expect this bug is fixed. I'll let you know, thanks!

I'm running into roughly the same problem on a Mac, and I can't find any fixes. This is weird, because I don't even think 32-bit mac software has been a thing for like a decade. Would this be a similar problem, or do I need to look for a different solution?