• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(7161)

First Lieutenant
Jan 4, 2002
Visit site
Inf Upgrade - no change in stats?

I just upgraded the inf I started w/ (Germany) in '36. However, I am showing absolutely 0 difference in their unit stats vs those inf divs which I haven't upgraded yet. Does this make sense?

I'm still in the process of upgrading my armor from Pz I to III's...I'll do the same comparison and post if there's no change.

Maybe the upgrade doesn't affect the key HA/SA etc that shows up on the unit screen but is something behind the scenes (would be nice to see it tho)

Upvote 0
infantry techs normally are "automatic" upgrades. there is no need to upgrade them manually.

Hmmm...that's strange then because the 'upgrade unit' button is active for my inf div's so I'm pressing it...it's consuming like 1 IC each, they drop off them map and then are available for redeployment a little while later. Does this situation coincide w/ what you're describing (doesn't sound like it to me)?

Thanks for the quick response btw.

Originally posted by Emerson
Hmmm...that's strange then because the 'upgrade unit' button is active for my inf div's so I'm pressing it...it's consuming like 1 IC each, they drop off them map and then are available for redeployment a little while later. Does this situation coincide w/ what you're describing (doesn't sound like it to me)?

Thanks for the quick response btw.

That is strange I have not seen the upgrade option for INF. Do you know of the top of your head which tech you had researched? I tried it with inf guns 70mm+ and the units upgraded and the upgrade option remianed greyed out.

King, I'm not sure exactly which tech tripped it (I've been doing almost 100% research since the beginning of the game until late '38). I suspect it is either from 'improved inf weapons (and I have all the applications of this), 'improved battlefield C3' or 'improved logistics'...probably the first one.

Unit stats are identical in every way.

Originally posted by Emerson
King, I'm not sure exactly which tech tripped it (I've been doing almost 100% research since the beginning of the game until late '38). I suspect it is either from 'improved inf weapons (and I have all the applications of this), 'improved battlefield C3' or 'improved logistics'...probably the first one.

Unit stats are identical in every way.

Can you humour me here, and start a game in 1936 and research inf guns 70mm+ as Germany? If not I will see what I can do.

This means the changes provided by STANDARDIZED AMMUNITION will only take effect after you've upgraded them. Don't botter though, I believe the effect is minor though (don't remember the exact results of that tech :D).
As King said, expect it fixed soon. I also discovered this glitch yesterday

Still an Open Bug

Playing as France, 1936, 1.06c. I upgraded the same infantry unit 3 times over before I figured it was a bug. Not sure exactly which tech caused the problem for me, but it could easily be that one. Good to know that the problem isn't a major one.

grody311 said:
Playing as France, 1936, 1.06c. I upgraded the same infantry unit 3 times over before I figured it was a bug. Not sure exactly which tech caused the problem for me, but it could easily be that one. Good to know that the problem isn't a major one.

As you can see from this thread, it is an old problem that, for some reason, just won't go away.

Under normal circumstances in vanilla HOI, there is no need to upgrade infantry since all techs related to these units are automatic. Only when you inherit units from another country after annexation (Anschluss, Spanish Civil War, Chinese Civil War) do they need to be upgraded.

I've had the same happen trying to upgrade a French "Danton" BB

French "Danton" class BB had the "upgrade" choice highlighted, so I upgraded it ~ 1 IC for 145 days or so. Stats were completely identical to an un-upgraded one.

adossant said:
French "Danton" class BB had the "upgrade" choice highlighted, so I upgraded it ~ 1 IC for 145 days or so. Stats were completely identical to an un-upgraded one.

Upgrades can include a lot of naval intelligence techs that do not appear in the stat numbers.

Just wait until you have all naval techs done before upgrading or you can have a long series of upgrades that don't change much.

Vulture said:
This means the changes provided by STANDARDIZED AMMUNITION will only take effect after you've upgraded them. Don't botter though, I believe the effect is minor though (don't remember the exact results of that tech :D).
As King said, expect it fixed soon. I also discovered this glitch yesterday

It gives -0.1 supply consumption to all troops. :)

Sgt. Bulldog said:
Still certain infantry DO benefit from upgrades. Namely those that some nations aquire through events (Austrian Anschluss)
This is not because of events but because Austria is considered to be in a civil war with Germany. Other countries which are "inherited" do not give their units to the new owner. The same would be the case for Nat. Spain/Rep. Spain or Nat. China/Com. China if the loser had lower unit stats than the winner or if Germany annexed Austria in a war.

Jevon said:
It gives -0.1 supply consumption to all troops. :)
You realize you are replying to a two year old post, right?

I am new to this forum and new to HOI. Yes, I see that this is a two year old post I am replying to, but I am frustrated by what I am seeing with upgrades. I am playing as SU in 1.06C.

I started in 1936 and have focused on researching techs which improve Infantry (Land, Inf, Elec, Art, etc...). I have also researched Armor up to Improved Medium Tank 70mm. While upgrading my Armor, out of curiosity, I took a look at my other unit types. All unit types had the "Upgrade Unit" button highlighted. As an experiment, I upgraded one unit of each Infantry type (Vanilla, Art, Eng, AA), as well as, a unit of Mtn.

At the end of the upgrade period (18 days Inf, 32 days Mtn), I noticed no change to the stats for any unit except the Inf Art. To my chagrin, the number for Hard Attack DROPPED from "6" to "5". WTF! Any hints as to why or how this happened would be greatly appreciated.

btw, this is a great forum.

Rogster said:
At the end of the upgrade period (18 days Inf, 32 days Mtn), I noticed no change to the stats for any unit except the Inf Art. To my chagrin, the number for Hard Attack DROPPED from "6" to "5". WTF! Any hints as to why or how this happened would be greatly appreciated.
Could be a rounding problem somewhere. Another thing that would cause this is that the initial stats were assigned manually rather than by the game itself; if stats were set higher in the scenario file or by editing a savegame they would drop when "upgraded". This mostly applies to ships, some of which are given unique stats in the scenario files. I don't see any of that in the vanilla HoI 1936 scenario for Soviets though. The basic answer to these problems is: compare the existing unit's stats to those that a new unit would have before you upgrade. This can easily be checked in the unit production window; upgraded units always get the same stats as a new unit of that type and model would get. There are some stats that don't show up in existing units, mostly detection/visibility-related, but those aren't important enough to justify an upgrade by themselves anyway.