BUG FIXED: Resolution, Ultra-High Resolution Monitor Issues (also Age of Wonders: Planetfall)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Plaustrum

Recruit
26 Badges
Apr 17, 2016
  • BATTLETECH
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Semper Fi
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • War of the Roses
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Dungeonland
I sent this to tech support, saying that I found and solved a bug. They patted me on the head and sent me here, so here I am. I solved this bug earlier this month. Especially since Imperator: Rome no longer has a dedicated team, I figured this would be useful to someone in a few years. I believe this problem also exists with Age of Wonders: Planetfall. I expect to post there once I test that out.

PROBLEM: I have a XPS 8930 (Standard, non-gaming Dell) that runs Windows 10. I have a monitor that has a max resolution of 3840x2160. When I work on these settings, my mouse input is extremely slow. When I hover over a button with my mouse, it usually takes a second for the game to recognize that my mouse is there.

SOLUTION: This problem WILL NOT BE FIXED by turning down the in-game resolution, either within the application or on the launcher. It will also not be fixed by adjusting graphics settings. This is because Windows messes with the resolution and tries to change the resolution back to the monitor's original resolution. Instead, I went to the file location for imperator.exe. I right-clicked on the application. Properties > Compatibility > Change high DPI settings > Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by: Application.

After some additional testing, I have found that Imperator: Rome works better when compatible with Windows 8 (same compatibility menu; Properties > Compatibility > (Check) Run this problem in compatibility mode for: Windows 8). If the above method doesn't work, add this to the above method.

From there, the standard graphics/performance balance will apply; use top-notch graphics only if you like how your computer handles them. For me, the program runs like a breeze on any resolution now. I've had this problem for months; it stopped me from playing the game, because the game was unplayable. If there are any players who experience similar issues, be sure to make them aware about this.

• 2Like
Reactions:
This is very interesting. I have had the slow mouse but a game restart always fixed it.