• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

nuhrii

Private
10 Badges
Nov 23, 2019
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
Overall they're just worse than scavengers and frenzied; scavengers have assimilate, high stagger on shotgun, and obvious synergies with later mods and reverse engineers, frenzied can get regeneration early on and kir'ko regen, and frenzy. Meanwhile aspirants are really squishy compared to them as a melee unit and not worth building later on even with mods unlocked, and thats also because they don't really get a good mod to support them early on,(oath of loyalty isn't very good, its a worse version of swarm shield, and other oaths are kinda meh too) and arc mods are mediocre on them.

Either bump them up to 50 hp, buff against all odds to 7% (you can nerf champion a little to compensate), give them another point of armor, give volt blast high stagger, increase volt pike's damage to 20, or give them 40 movement; something, anything, just to make them a little more effective and worth using than just using wardens and protectors, because on paper they should be good with precognition, warden banner and protector embolden, and seers, but it just doesn't work in practice.

Upvote 0
they're the best t1 in the game right now lmao

oath of loyalty is busted as hell too love getting like 3-5 armor off a single mod doing the same shit i'd be doing anyways

Meanwhile aspirants are really squishy compared to them as a melee unit and not worth building later on
If you want to compare them to something, use the Dvar Trencher.
Trenchers are ranged, with token melee attack.
Aspirants are Melee, with a token ranged attack.

They can move for 2 AP, hit the enemy with a 18 Single Action and threaten them with the same 18 damage overwatch. The overwatched enemy can not stagger them out of it, because they Strike First. They also get +5% Evasion for each enemy within 2 Hexes and getting 3 together for a +3 Armor from Oath of Loyalty is trivial.

Finally, they can be purposefully evolved into the T2 unit you need.

If you want to compare them to something, use the Dvar Trencher.
Trenchers are ranged, with token melee attack.
Aspirants are Melee, with a token ranged attack.

They can move for 2 AP, hit the enemy with a 18 Single Action and threaten them with the same 18 damage overwatch. The overwatched enemy can not stagger them out of it, because they Strike First. They also get +5% Evasion for each enemy within 2 Hexes and getting 3 together for a +3 Armor from Oath of Loyalty is trivial.

Finally, they can be purposefully evolved into the T2 unit you need.
Except trenchers get way better mods and make a trenches, which keeps you alive, their melee is to make space for explosive attacks, meaning even in the late game they still continue to be useful because of how good firearm mods are; and no they are more comparable to Scavangers, because they are "Melee, and have a token range", and their range is useful, because of high stagger, though I don't know why you would, but you could give them firearm mods.
You can't pull the damage card either, because as long as you protectors hit three times you've already broken even and not many things are to going stagger out of overwatch.
Their overwatch is easy to cancel via grenades or snipers, Strike First is only going to protect them from another melee unit or a point blank stagger, and their evasion can be easily mitigated just by spreading out.
Theres no point in evolving them since you can just produce the t2 you want, and the stat you get is pretty meh, unless you want a save a meager amount of energy and cosmite for the operation points, which is only useful for the early game which is not the problem.
So why would i bother constructing aspirants later on even with mods unlocked, maybe I didn't make this clear enough, they become obsolete, compared to modded wardens and protectors.

Except trenchers get way better mods and make a trenches, which keeps you alive, their melee is to make space for explosive attacks, meaning even in the late game they still continue to be useful because of how good firearm mods are; and no they are more comparable to Scavangers, because they are "Melee, and have a token range", and their range is useful, because of high stagger, though I don't know why you would, but you could give them firearm mods.
Aspiratns just turn into T2 units. And not just any or automatically - but exactly the one you want, when you want.
That is by far the biggest unit Upgrade I have ever seen.

As for the OP-ness of any Regeneration mod, wich includes reinforced trenches: That is a seperate mater altogether.

"If protectors strike 3 times you've broken even" tells me everything I need to know lol

Melee units aren't going to hit 3 times almost ever buddy, single action is a huge advantage

"If protectors strike 3 times you've broken even" tells me everything I need to know lol

Melee units aren't going to hit 3 times almost ever buddy, single action is a huge advantage
Yes and No.

Yes, Single Action does more damage on Overwatch or if they barely reached with 1 AP.
However, once a repeating attack of the same tier hits twice they usually break even. With the 3rd attack putting them cleanly ahead.

You can see that most clearly with the Purifiers:
Most do a Range 5, 20 Damage, single action attack
Oathbound has Melee, 20 Damage, single action attack
Amazons and Vanguard do Range 5, 10 Damage, Repeating
Shakarn do Melee, 13 Damage, Repeating

The Shakarn get a bit textra for having to go into melee as well while being not a melee faction (very poor racial mod situation). But otherwise, the pattern holds.

Yes and No.

Yes, Single Action does more damage on Overwatch or if they barely reached with 1 AP.
However, once a repeating attack of the same tier hits twice they usually break even. With the 3rd attack putting them cleanly ahead.

The Shakarn get a bit textra for having to go into melee as well while being not a melee faction (very poor racial mod situation). But otherwise, the pattern holds.
amazon purifier is range 5 with visual acuity and vanguard is range 7.

Yes and No.

The mobility advantage of single action attacks (and thus focus fire and positioning potential) outweighs whatever this is in 80% of situations

This is what makes trenchers absurd units and why dvar and amazon echo walkers are so much better than normal echo walkers, even after having their damage nerfed into the ground

Purifiers are like the only case in the game where the repeating version is better (and, funny coincidence, it also comes with a range advantage)

Aspiratns just turn into T2 units. And not just any or automatically - but exactly the one you want, when you want.
That is by far the biggest unit Upgrade I have ever seen.

As for the OP-ness of any Regeneration mod, wich includes reinforced trenches: That is a seperate mater altogether.
Did you just not read the entire latter half of my post, I very clearly said there are reasons why you would upgrade, but asked why bother with it as the game goes on, why bother to keep producing aspirants when you can just produce the t2 you want?

amazon purifier is range 5 with visual acuity and vanguard is range 7.
Amazon bows also ignore cover. Wich explains why they only got +1 conditionally.

So actually that means that Units with repeating attacks pull ahead on the 2nd hit already.

This is what makes trenchers absurd units and why dvar and amazon echo walkers are so much better than normal echo walkers, even after having their damage nerfed into the ground
Dvar Echo Walkers push back light enemies. Meaning they move enemies out of their own overwatch range. That is a huge minus compared to all other echo walkers. I guess you can use it to avoid overwatch (each one pushing the enemy into the other ones range), but I would prefer having 2 overwatches on the same target.

Meanwhile the Amazon one got flanker and they got a "immune to flanking" mod pretty early. Nevermind all the other bonuses to Animals and Mounted. And easy access to Overwatch supression (like blinding arrow).

Did you just not read the entire latter half of my post, I very clearly said there are reasons why you would upgrade, but asked why bother with it as the game goes on, why bother to keep producing aspirants when you can just produce the t2 you want?
Who says you are supposed to bother producing Aspirants?
T1 are either used for "mass over class" approaches - wich precludes the heavy use of mods - or dropped for T2 very early.

The dvar echo walker lets you do the double strike alpha against melee units that are stagger resistant. It also let's you perform the double alpha against units that are further away. The double alpha is generally the strong part of the single action echo walkers anyway