• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It was so bad that it was worth a few paragraphs in one of Massie's works (Dreadnought or Castles of Steel)... the King, who had been a Navy man himself before ascending the throne, saw the list of names and (knowing that sailors are sailors and can dream up some rather... salacious... nicknames) rejected them out of hand.

It was so bad that it was worth a few paragraphs in one of Massie's works (Dreadnought or Castles of Steel)... the King, who had been a Navy man himself before ascending the throne, saw the list of names and (knowing that sailors are sailors and can dream up some rather... salacious... nicknames) rejected them out of hand.

Surely they canae be that ba-

"Immediately after becoming First Lord, Churchill proposed Africa, Assiduous, Liberty,and Oliver Cromwell for the four battleships in that year’s [Naval] Estimates."

Oh, okay these are terrible. Africa I sort of like despite the disgusting jingoism and cockiness of naming your battleship that (how on the nose and anti-French, even when you're building a navy to match Germany!). And they went with Emperor of India instead...

'This time, Churchill persevered. ‘Oliver Cromwell was one of the founders of the Navy and scarcely any man did so much for it,’ he wrote to Stamfordham. ‘It seems right that we should give to a battleship a name that never failed to make the enemies of England tremble.

Disturbing he found a potentially genocidal maniac so admirable.

Not something one generally thinks about but it must have been some concern about ship names (especially when the navy got so big and royals actually figured out what sailors were like). They have to have good names or at least acceptable names. Much easier these days. Only got destroyers and two carriers.

And a few figs hanging about... some subs too.

And a few figs hanging about... some subs too.

Subs are apparently up for debate, especally if the ultimate defence doesn't get updated which they seem to be thinking about. The Queen Elizabeth is impressive though. If all that stuff on it works. And they find some use for it. And we get some planes for it.

...I sometimes get the horrible feeling that we have a navy because Tradition, not for using.

Back to battleships, I apoligise if this was answered before but is the Navy going to ramp up production of everything or focus on their special prpjects and marines? Because rebuilding the destroyer count to peak levels would be amazing though it might take some time. And since germany is really no threat at all, doing it would just be for egotism and to 'prove' once and for all thst at least in terms of naval power, GB actually did win WWI (by rebuilding the stupid big fleet they had to build to match german expansion).

well the part is (finally) done, sorry for the delay Uni decided to drop all the exams and tasks at once (last week was fun), am on holiday now so have more time to write, anyway to replies

El Pip: the Dardanelles will still be a cock up from start to finish, the new cruisers and destroyers went to convoy defence (or weren't finished by early 1915) as that was the excuse for building them (sorry Gallipoli is to important to us Kiwis (and presumably Aussies) to change). on cameos, I am quite sure that the MP for Derby is known by the nickname El Pip after some misadventures in Spain during the 1920s (I think I only mention it anecdotally in another reply, consider it cannon from now on)

The naming debate: all of the ships will have their OTL names (HMS Revenge is a nice touch in the wake of a diplomatic incident). One of the new destroyers was named HMS Capricorn. However I do need a name for the sixth KGV so any subjections would be helpful (I personally am leaning towards HMS Beatty for more butterflies. There will NOT be an HMS Cromwell however, the king doesn't want parliament getting any funny ideas)

any comments I missed (or anyone who wants a cameo) just post below, I will try to get the next update out in the next week

I know that Churchill is about as... subtle... as a bull in a china shop, but perhaps the HMS Oliver? Gets the Cromwell out there, but could also be Admirals R.D. Oliver, H. F. Oliver, or any other of I'm sure several "Olivers" who might rate a battlewagon from His Majesty...

As well as yours truly.

An aside, it took me an inordinate amount of time to recall the word subtle...

I am quite sure that the MP for Derby is known by the nickname El Pip after some misadventures in Spain during the 1920s (I think I only mention it anecdotally in another reply, consider it cannon from now on)

Hang on a minute, how many of us are running round Parliament these days? The government can't spend weeks obsessing over ship names when there's so much other stuff to do like....

….

Hmm. Okay then.

I know that Churchill is about as... subtle... as a bull in a china shop, but perhaps the HMS Oliver? Gets the Cromwell out there, but could also be Admirals R.D. Oliver, H. F. Oliver, or any other of I'm sure several "Olivers" who might rate a battlewagon from His Majesty...

As well as yours truly.

An aside, it took me an inordinate amount of time to recall the word subtle...
Neither George V or VI were intellectual powerhouses, but they weren't stupid. They would spot the connection and were also naval enough to know that the first "Oliver" wasn't really senior enough (the bar is Nelson and Rodney) while the second's main contribution was gutting the fleet for financial/treaty reasons. That said I can completely see Churchill suggesting it. And then being shot down in flames. Again.

If it's the last KGV then it's post naval treaty and all the good names are available again. The OTL Lion class went for Lion, Conqueror, Thunderer and Temeraire, that's probably the realistic shortlist, but I also like Warrior and Collingwood. If forced to pick for the 6th KGV I would vote HMS Temeraire. Because it is never the wrong time to wind up the French Navy.

Important Announcement

Bad News
Steam recently had a sale and I picked up all of the DLC (the main ones anyway) this has caused the save to stop working (also the game now crashes more)

Good News
TFH has a custom game feature which has allowed me to do what I wanted to do originally, delete my starting troops and replace them with naval themed units. This means that I will need some names (a lot of names)

Units that need names
-x40 marine divisions
-x5 marine brigades in each division

-x10 landship divisions
-each has x2 heavy armour, x1 marine brigade, x1 artillery brigade and x1 engineers

-x6 Gurkha paratroop brigades in 2 divisions

please try to keep any suggestions vaguely OTL British army themed (so no 14th my little pony division)

any other advice will be gladly accepted

I will try to play through to the point I was up to before (mid 1938 at war with japan over china)

In other news I am announcing a winner in the KGV naming contest, she will be called HMS Collingwood (decent admiral, continues the admiral theme for the later KGVs)

I suppose we could use the constant idea that was kicked around but was never used for various reasons and name some of the many, many ships we have after royal duchies, home counties and generally 'very British' places?

Failing that, we can always crack open the thesaurus and dictionary and look under I.

The marine divisions aren't supported by arty or engies, seems to me they lack a bit of a punch?

Well, I'm not a expert on British names, but you could use Waterloo as a name.

I would start with the OTL 63rd Royal Navy Infantry Division - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/63rd_(Royal_Naval)_Division#Orders_of_battle - 'Promote' those Battalions up to Division names.

However the Royal Marines are very happy to just have numbers, with random (brackets) around the place, provided that they are a Commando and that there are random gaps in the numbering that make no real sense to anyone who isn't a historian and/or marine.

3 Commando, 45 Commando, 678 Commando [Light], 9012 Commando [Baja]....