• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Congrats

You are certainly ticking along at a fair pace. Nasty France. When Nappy comes along that is going to be interesting.

Congrats, with all these new AARs coming up (don’t exactly indicate the demise of this forum) I have not yet read yours but LD usually have good taste so I will check it out:)

And a great AAR gets its worthy reward! - congratulations Farquarson!

Despite you pruning operations, that's still one of the biggest and silliest Frances I've ever seen - the Napoloenic wars are going to be interesting, if you get that far.
I also note that Poland appears to be back, despite having been annexed twice already (can't trust a Frenchman to do anything right, or a Pole to take a hint :) ), England has lost control of Scotland (which probably explains Charles II's little ... problems), Burgundy is Existing Without Justification and the Netherlands has most of its proper provinces. In fact the only depressingly normal thing on the map is that Spanish Unification didn't come off...

Anyway, keep up the good work and best of luck taking Vienna (maybe you could diplo-annex them and then release all the non-German bits as vassals?)

Brandenburgers ... err Prussians ... err whatever we are this week ... March!

This certainly is a bizzare map of Europe, especially now that you have become Prussia. France is scary. Austria is scary. But then again, so is Brandenburg.. err. Prussia.

Well, here I am with Internet access, but no update yet I'm afraid. Thanks for all the messages of congratulations and encouragement! I will be getting back home late tonight (Saturday) and I have every hope that Friedrich Wilhelm I of Prussia will be reporting on his reign sometime tomorrow. But what is he going to do? Even after a week of deliberating I still don't have a clear plan. The diplo-annexing option had occurred to me, but Austria would probably have to be considerably reduced in size before they would accept anything like that. Should be possible :)

Friedrich Wilhelm I (b.1688, King of Prussia 1713 - 1740)

Friedrich Wilhelm’s one over-riding obsession was to go to war against Karl VI, Emperor of Austria, and to wrest the three remaining German provinces from him. Friedrich Wilhelm’s father had begun to cultivate better relations with France and Friedrich Wilhelm continued this policy, both for protection, and in the hope of one day forging a Franco-Prussian alliance that might be able to crush Austria completely.

Noting the Austrians’ enthusiasm for expanding into Italy, he issued guarantees of independence to Siena and the Papal States, and also to Siebenbürgen, another likely arena for Austrian expansion.

Meanwhile, in 1714 the notable Prussian explorer, Colonel von Neuenhagen, completed his intrepid voyage to Africa and set up a new Prussian colony in Gambia. It was expanded little by little during the rest of Friedrich Wilhelm’s reign. Having been colonized by Prussians, the colony was of course 100% German, although this being true, it was always something of a mystery where the black slaves came from who made up the bulk of its trade.

In 1715 France agreed to a royal marriage with Prussia, shortly before Louis XIV was succeeded, somewhat predictably, by Louis XV. Two years later Prussia’s ally Sweden declared war on Russia and Friedrich Wilhelm took this opportunity to leave his long-standing alliance with Sweden and England, to be accepted by Louis XV into an alliance with France and the Papal States.

Relations with France were somewhat strained later in 1717 when the rebel province of Poznan left France for Prussia, but when Louis declared war on the newly formed rebel state of Ukraine, Friedrich Wilhelm patched up the damage by helping him out with a small Prussian contingent, who saw action notably at the siege of Poltava. This war dragged on until 1722 when Ukraine paid a small amount of gold and ceded Poltava back to France.

Meanwhile Friedrich Wilhelm had lost patience with waiting for a good opportunity to declare war on Austria. In 1724 he decided to go to war anyway, and began to assemble a vast army. Before he could invade his neighbour, however, the kingdom was rocked by a political crisis and war had to be postponed until Friedrich Wilhelm had re-established stability in the realm.

Finally in November 1730 war was declared, with France happily joining her ally. Within two months the Prussians were besieging Moravia, Bohemia, Tirol and Sudeten. Unfortunately, it was in Tirol, the only German province to be attacked initially, that the Austrians fought back first, and the Prussians suffered several defeats. Also, in April 1731, a large Austrian army invaded Ostmarch and laid siege to Krems.

Further north the war went better, however, with Moravia being captured in May, and the French capturing Sudeten in September. The following month Bohemia fell to the Prussians and during the winter fierce fighting continued in Moravia. In June Tirol was finally captured by the Prussians, followed by Steiermark in May 1733 and Odenburg the following January.

Meanwhile Ostmarch had fallen to the Austrians, but was recaptured by April 1733. In April 1734 a major six-day battle raged around Vienna, which the Prussians narrowly won, and the Austrian capital was occupied in August. In December the Emperor Karl VI accepted Friedrich Wilhelm’s peace offer, handing over Tirol, Steiermark and Odenburg to Prussia.

Having achieved his life's ambition, Friedrich Wilhelm looked forward to a period of peace and prosperity in his newly enlarged realm. It was unfortunate, therefore, that the kingdom suffered another political crisis in 1735 and he spent the last five years of his reign quelling numerous revolts and Catholic dissident movements. In 1740 he died and his son Friedrich II came to the throne.

Prussia1740.JPG

Europe in 1740 - as can be seen, France’s Eastern European adventure has run into a certain number of difficulties... :D

And finally... ;)

King Friedrich Wilhelm I of Prussia, welcomes his new advisor, recently arrived from Gambia: Ah splendid, you must be the new royal advisor!

Advisor: Tha’s me man! Ah’s your new advisor for sure!

Friedrich Wilhelm: Ahem - yes, perhaps you could observe the proper protocol and address me as “Your Majesty”...?

Advisor: Oh sure, man! Ah mean, yo majesty!

Friedrich Wilhelm: Er - yes, very good. So - what’s your name?

Advisor: Oh, don’ you worry bout that yo majesty - you can jes’ call me “Dude”.

Friedrich Wilhelm: Dude. Hmm, yes, well, Herr Dude, I’m sure you’ll have had plenty of time during your voyage from Gambia to think of some excellent advice to offer.

Advisor: Oh, yo majesty, ah ain’t been doin’ no hard thinkin’, no sir! Ah’s been havin’ me a real nice time on board that cool dude ship of yoh’s. Ah’s been shootin’ the breeze all the way from Gambia, man - yo majesty.

Friedrich Wilhelm: Yes, I see. Well, Herr Dude perhaps you have some advice to offer now?

Advisor: Oh yes, yo majesty, you jes’ tell me what problems you got an’ ah’ll tell you what ah think.

Friedrich Wilhelm: Well, I only have one problem, in fact - I want to go to war against Austria.

Advisor: Oh tha’s cool yo majesty, man! You jes’ go right ahead’n do that. Ah’m right with you one hundred and ten percent!

Friedrich Wilhelm: Er, well, I’m afraid it’s not quite that simple. You see, although I want very much to go to war, I have no reasonable excuse to do so.

Advisor: Hey man, hang loose! Jes’ let me get this straight yo majesty, man - you want to go to war?

Friedrich Wilhelm: That’s right.

Advisor: You desperate to go to war?

Friedrich Wilhelm: Absolutely.

Advisor: You ain’t got nuthin’ to live for if you don’t go to war right away?

Friedrich Wilhelm: You could say that, yes.

Advisor: Well, then yo majesty, man, you jes’ go right ahead and declare war on them dirty stinkin’ Austrians whether you got yourself a good reason or not, tha’s what ah say!

Friedrich Wilhelm: Hmmm. I appreciate your straightforward approach. You know Herr Dude, I think this may be the start of a very profitable relationship. Right! Call in the army commanders - we have some preparations to make...

Last edited:
France certainly has had problems. Looks not quite a disasterous now.

Are you going to attempt to wrest Vienna from the Austrians?

Are you going to attempt to wrest Vienna from the Austrians?

In so far as the Prussian goal remains to unite all German provinces together, yes, the only thing left to do before 1819 is to get hold of Vienna. Not so much a case of "wresting Vienna from the Austrians" as annihilating Austria and picking up Vienna as the final step. Reducing in size, vassalizing, and annexing seems like the most hopeful route, and with Frederick the Great now on the throne things look interesting :).

With regard to France, the 1713 map was definitely a temporary aberration - they've had endless problems with revolts and secessions in the east. I wouldn't be surprised if their eastern territories are all lost pretty soon.

The demise of Austria

Friedrich II (b.1712, King of Prussia 1740 - 1786)

Only one German province remained outside Prussia. The only problem was that it was the province in which the Austria capital Vienna was situated. This presented Friedrich with something of a problem. Clearly Austria would never hand over its capital to the Prussians, and the only way of bringing Vienna into the German homeland was to wipe Austria off the map completely.

Friedrich had several things in his favour. He was an outstanding leader in every way, his army was now the best in Europe, and the Prussian economy was extremely strong. What he needed was a reason for war. He issued a guarantee of independence to Poland, but it was Siena that the Austrians invaded and annexed in 1742. They then declared war on Venice, annexing Ragusa and Dalmatia in 1744.

It was not long after this that Maria Theresia of Austria chose to send a flagrant diplomatic insult to Friedrich of Prussia. Friedrich hastily assembled his army and in October 1745 he declared war. The war lasted three years and the result was never in much doubt. Most of Austria was occupied and in 1748 Maria Theresia agreed to hand over the provinces of Sudeten, Bohemia, Moravia, Presburg and Mantua.

Unfortunately, the following year Austria annexed Poland. Friedrich then spent several years making improvements to his newly won territories and preparing for the next war. In 1753 a Lutheran mission to Tirol succeeded in bringing its people to a knowledge of the true faith, and the people of Münster followed soon after.

By 1759 Friedrich was ready to go to war again, without a justifiable cause this time. By 1763 almost all of Austria’s territory had been invaded and overrun by the Prussians and Maria Theresia handed over all but one of her Italian provinces: Lombardia, Emilia, Romagna, Firenze and Siena.

In 1769 Gambia became a fully fledged colony - efforts to colonize Muni further south had ended in failure. In the same year, Friedrich created vassal states of Siena, Tuscany and Modena. Five years later in 1774 Milan and Bohemia were also made into vassal states.

By 1778 Friedrich was once again ready for war. This time he dreamed of stripping Austria of everything but their capital. Just as he was on the point of declaring war, once again without just cause, his ally France declared war on Burgundy, whereupon Austria declared war on Bohemia, Friedrich’s vassal. Hardly able to believe his luck, not to mention Maria Theresia’s immense folly, he immediately declared war on Austria, joined by his allies France, Siebenbürgen, Siena and Tuscany.

This time, in just two years, all of Austria was brought under Prussian occupation, but Austria’s new leader, Josef II, refused to hand over more than seven provinces: Schwyz, Marche, Mazovia, Carpathia, Magyar and Pest to Prussia, and Banat to Siebenbürgen. Little now remained of the once mighty Austrian Empire, and what did remain was in four different pieces. Friedrich bequeathed the task of finishing off his enemy to his nephew, Friedrich Wilhelm II, who succeeded him in 1786.

Prussia1786.JPG

Europe in 1786 - check out Scotland! Those provinces all revolted and went over to Scotland (and who could blame them :D)

And finally... :)

Messenger to the royal court of Friedrich II of Prussia, champion and hero of all German peoples, and slightly unpleasant oppressor of a few non-German peoples who happened to get in his way: Your August Majesty, I bring good tidings!

Friedrich: Don’t tell me - the people have decided to erect a vast statue of me in every city of the realm!

Messenger: Er - no, Your Majesty - even better than that... I think...

Friedrich, somewhat dubiously: Really? What could it be?

Messenger: Your loyal subjects in Tirol and Münster have finally thrown off the spiritual shackles of Rome and joined the true communion of believers!

Friedrich: Oh, yes that is good news... I suppose.

Advisor, standing nearby: Sire, it is excellent news! The peace and harmony of the glorious gospel of Jesus Christ is spreading throughout our glorious realm!

Friedrich: Yes, but these people - I suppose they’re all reading the Bible and all that stuff?

Advisor: Oh, yes Your Excellency - isn’t it wonderful?

Friedrich: Er... I don’t suppose there’s anything in the Bible about its being OK to go to war against the stinking Austrian heretics for no reason except that we want to wipe their foul and detestable name out of existence?

Advisor: Not as far as I know, Your Excellency.

Friedrich: I’ll tell you what, then - how about if we don’t actually bother paying for any more of these extremely well-paid and not very fast working missionaries and save our cash for raising armies with which to crush the afore-mentioned stinking Austrian heretics?

Advisor: That would be one approach, Your Majesty...

Friedrich: * sighs * Whatever happened to that Dude character who used to advise my father? And why do my advisors all seem to be burdened with a social conscience...?

Frederick.JPG

Frederick the Great trying to ignore his social conscience

Last edited:
The horror! Frederick the Great has a social conscience!

Look's like you will have this one in the bag.

Scotland - weird.

Scotland - weird.

What I found most galling about this was that the AI seemed to be doing a whole lot better as Scotland, by pure luck, as I did with much blood, sweat and tears when I played them. But then, that was one of the first games of EU II I played. Someday I'll see if Scotland can conquer the world...

And meanwhile, back to those latter-day Brandenburgers, who have all but forgotten their humble origins as a two-province nation.

Friedrich Wilhelm II (b.1744, King of Prussia 1786 - 1797)

At the beginning of his reign, Friedrich Wilhelm II was nicknamed “W”, to distinguish him from his uncle, Friedrich II. As his reign progressed, however, there was endless speculation about what the “W” should really be taken to stand for. At first he was “the Waverer”, then “the Witless”, and finally “the Woman”. The latter was angrily contested by the Prussian feminist movement as being an insult to women, but since the movement was still in its infancy it was largely ignored.

The point was that “W” did virtually nothing during his, albeit short, eleven year reign. He was not the military leader that his uncle had been, and feared to go to war without broad public support. He recreated Poland as an extremely small vassal state (Warsaw) and then contented himself with issuing regular warnings to Austria, which Josef II wisely heeded. Thus “W” had no excuse for the war that was to end the Austrian Empire forever, and prepare the way for the regime change in Vienna that was the dream of the house of Hohenzollern. In 1797 “W” died, to no-one’s great regret, and was succeeded by his son, Friedrich Wilhelm III.

Friedrich “W” II, consulting his (non-Gambian) advisor: Tell me, are the people of Prussia happy?

Advisor: Happy, Your Majesty? Er - I think there might be a few here and there.

Friedrich: Oh, I know - don’t tell me! The people all think I’m boring, don’t they?

* short silence *

Friedrich: Well, don’t they?

Advisor, who is picking the dirt from his fingernails: Eh? What was that Your Majesty?

Friedrich: They think I’m boring, don’t they?

Advisor: Oh yes, Your Majesty, the people are truly in love with your boringness - nobody could do a better job than you, Your Excellency. My congratulations - truly Your Majesty can be proud of his immense achievements in this undervalued domain!

Friedrich: I thought so. I don’t want to be boring you know. I don’t try to be boring. It just seems to happen naturally. As soon as they’re in the same room as me, people seem to have this habit of dozing off. I mean - hey, are you listening to me...?

Advisor: Zzzzzzz...

With a dialogue like that perhaps he should have been called Marvin. ;)

After all, from a certain angle...

Ah yes stnylan - that's the explanantion! Friedrich Wilhelm II was actually an android... Oops - I think I've been reading too many of these Time Commando AARs :).

Hey, no screenshot?:(

Sorry to slip up, ladyfabia, but, aside from Mazovia turning into an orange-coloured Poland, the map had hardly changed since 1786.

The good news, however, is that I have just finished the game, and I can promise you a lovely 1819 screenshot in the final update, coming soon. As to whether Friedrich Wilhelm III managed to fulfil the Hohenzollern dream completely or not... ah, you have to wait and see :D

Whatever Happened to the Hapsburgs?

Friedrich Wilhelm III (b.1770, King of Prussia 1797 - 1840)

Friedrich Wilhelm III was no more of a military leader than his father, but he had considerably more determination and did not wait long before going to war against Austria. He did not let himself be troubled about having a proper excuse, but simply declared war in January 1799.

The war was swift and brutal, and all that remained of Austria had been occupied by the armies of Prussia and Siebenbürgen by December. Foolishly, the Austrians refused to hand over the occupied provinces, and the war continued at sea. After centuries of neglect, the Prussian navy finally came into its own, inflicting a series of defeats on the Austrians, until, in June 1800, Franz II gave in and handed over Napoli, Istria, Krain, Croatia, Bosnia and Krakow to Prussia, and Maros to Siebenbürgen. Austria now consisted, appropriately the Prussians felt, solely of the province of Austria, which was entirely surrounded by Prussia.

Friedrich Wilhelm set about salvaging his reputation by creating vassal states of Hungary in 1804, Naples and Bosnia in 1805, and Croatia in 1806. Meanwhile the Prussian colonization of Africa was coming on apace with Muni becoming a colony in 1803, followed by the neighbouring province of Mayumba in 1809.

Friedrich Wilhelm had hoped that by waiting he might perhaps find a legitimate reason to invade Austria and seize the last German province for the Prussian crown, but by 1811 the Austrians had amassed an army of 85,000 and were strengthening the fortifications of Vienna, and had still given him no grounds for aggression. He decided it was time to act before the job became too difficult.

He gathered the bulk of his army, over 100,000 strong, on Austria’s border and declared war in June. In July the entire Austrian army was annihilated, and Vienna was besieged before the fortifications could be completed. The city fell in late September, and on October 2nd 1811, the Austrian Emperor Franz II accepted full annexation by Prussia. Throughout the realm there was great celebration. At long last the German people were fully united under one crown.

Prussia now included no less than eleven non-German provinces, despite the numerous vassal states which had been created. After quelling a rebellion in the Italian province of Istria, Friedrich Wilhelm then decided on a change of policy, and withdrew all his troops to his German provinces. When the Slavs of Krain rebelled soon after, they were allowed in time to unite with the state of Croatia. In 1819, Krakow was also in revolt. In time, Prussia would thus be reduced to include only the 34 German provinces of Europe, not forgetting of course the 3 German provinces of Africa: Gambia, Muni and Mayumba, which, it was proposed, should be renamed Gamburg, Munister and Mayumburg. Later still, if it was thought appropriate, the Germans could have a go at world domination...

Prussia1819.JPG

Europe on Christmas Day, 1819

A messenger to the royal court of Friedrich Wilhelm III von Hohenzollern, Rightful Lord of all Germans: Your Unquestionably Greatness, I bring grave tidings!

Friedrich Wilhelm: Not another Italian revolt?

Messenger: Yes, Your Mysteriously Omniscience, that is indeed the grave tidings.

Friedrich Wilhelm: Stupid Catholic barbarians - why on earth are they revolting? All right - send in 22,000 crack Prussian troops to teach them some manners.

Messenger: Very good, Sire!

* Half and hour later... *

Friedrich Wilhelm: I’ve been thinking - why are we bothering to quell these revolts? We never wanted these stinking barbarians in our glorious German kingdom in the first place.

Court attendant: Too true, Your Wise Excellency. They bring nothing but trouble and Italian fast food to our realm.

Friedrich Wilhelm: Right - give the order. Recall those 22,000 crack troops immediately!

Court attendant: Yes, Your Excellency!

* Later still *

Messenger: Your Great and Mightiness, I bring grave tidings!

Friedrich Wilhelm: Oh good, another revolt?

Court attendant: No Sire, unfortunately I could not catch up with our amazingly fast crack Prussian troops in time to stop them from utterly annihilating all opposition in the rebel province of Istria!

Friedrich Wilhelm: Drat! Well, here’s a new order. All of our incredibly superior crack Prussian troops will forthwith be recalled to German provinces. And issue a declaration to all these Poles, Slavs, Italians and so on - they are hereby invited to revolt against us, their cruel Prussian overlords, burn their own stinking barbarian cities, pillage their own stinking barbarian farmlands, have a few years of total anarchy then go and pollute someone else’s kingdom with their incomprehensible languages, petty nationalist hangups, and disgusting foreign food.

Court attendant: Yes, Sire! Right away, Sire!

Friedrich Wilhelm: * thinks to himself * I fear however, that they will be all too slow to wish to leave our glorious realm. Why, oh why did those Hapsburgs have to be so expansionist. It makes me sick...

And there it is! For those who like statistics and so on, I completed the game in first position, with 4666 VPs, France coming second with 3409. This, incidentally was the first time I have ever come first with a country which is not in the original choice for the scenario. It may not seem that impressive, but this was in fact the highest score I have seen any country achieve in my relatively short EUII-playing career, so I am very pleased with myself.

My reputation at the end was merely “tarnished” (just under 30), which I was quite pleased with too:cool:. My DP settings were:
Aristocracy: 3
Centralization: 3
Innovativeness: 8
Mercantilism: 10
Offensive: 9
Land: 9
Quality: 10
Serfdom: 2
I had no bankruptcies during the game, and finished with inflation at an extremely respectable 11.9%. My tech levels were high, land and trade being at maximum.

I have to say that I have enjoyed writing and posting this AAR immensely, and I’m glad that other people have stayed with me following the game and putting in comments - thank you all!:) I did realize early on, though, that it only seemed to me worth posting an AAR if I felt it was interesting/entertaining enough for other people than myself to want to read, so I did feel a certain amount of pressure to try my best.

Otherwise, writing an AAR I found helpful for my own gameplay, as I tend naturally to be too impetuous and not think things through enough. This way I was forced to regularly re-assess my position and my strategy, and also got helpful comments and suggestions from more experienced players into the bargain!

So, a final word of advice to anyone out there who’s considering writing their first AAR: Go for it! You won’t find out how much fun it is till you’ve tried it!;)

Will I write another? Definitely! When? Not right away, but probably in the fairly near future. Watch this space!

Last edited:
Congratulations!

So, what's next?