• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, the snowball mechanic in this game is terrible. A surprise loss is typically curtains for you. The cosmite system did really contribute to the issues of this game, way more than it should have. Not sure exactly how they overcome this, as the battle between smooth, workable build caps is near-impossible to figure out. These games typically have one moment where power scaling gets out of control and that is it. This one seems the same, unintentionally.

Oh well. The elephant graveyard of video games is full of titles with the best intentions.
There are ways. You could make it so that cosmite can't be stockpiled. If you lose heavily moded units, your cosmite simply becames available for new mods.

You could make that you also spend cosmite on city "upkeep", which will serve as a brake on going infinitely wide.

You could make upkeep of units increase after a while, so that faction with twice as many cities can't afford twice as many units, but only 1.5, for example, effectively making an alliance of two factions with 4 cities stronger than a single faction with 8 cities.

Also, I'd reduce the number of mods per unit to max 2, or even 1. We really shouldn't be able to tailor units, min weakness and max strength to that degree.

• 1Like
Reactions:
After playing the new Master of Magic for an hour or so I just badly wanted a new Age of Wonders game. Total war warhammer 3 is awesome but it feels less relaxing without turn based battles. Spell forge looks promising, but... I do want a new Age of wonders game. Where are the news? I did like Age of Wonders Planetfall a lot but I felt fatigued on big maps. The economy could have been made more interesting. A big thing with age of wonders games that It is cumbersome to chase the AI around. I usuly had my two good armies that always ended up to far from where they needed to be. A think some sort of fast travel inside your domain for defensive purposes are needed in the next game.

After playing the new Master of Magic for an hour or so I just badly wanted a new Age of Wonders game. Total war warhammer 3 is awesome but it feels less relaxing without turn based battles. Spell forge looks promising, but... I do want a new Age of wonders game. Where are the news? I did like Age of Wonders Planetfall a lot but I felt fatigued on big maps. The economy could have been made more interesting. A big thing with age of wonders games that It is cumbersome to chase the AI around. I usuly had my two good armies that always ended up to far from where they needed to be. A think some sort of fast travel inside your domain for defensive purposes are needed in the next game.
Same. MoM remake just felt like it was trying to play too much on the nostalgia and it just felt so flat and boring to me. Age of Wonders 3 is my go to game. Planetfall was a decent game, but AoW3 will forever be a legend in to me.