Bought a claim on the Byzantine Empire, why can't I press it?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Eslin

Major
2 Badges
May 3, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
When I click declare war all that comes up is Conquer Duchy and Conquer County. I have enough prestige, how do I make declare war for my claim pop up?
f2thk361dck61.png

When I click declare war all that comes up is Conquer Duchy and Conquer County. I have enough prestige, how do I make declare war for my claim pop up?
f2thk361dck61.png
There are a number of special requirements for pressing claims against someone of Byzantine culture, and even more against someone who is the emperor of the Byzantine Empire.

The most common issue is the Celibate trait - Celibate rulers cannot press a claim on the Byzantine Empire. If this is your case, abandon celibacy and you'll be able to do it. :)

Reactions:
There are a number of special requirements for pressing claims against someone of Byzantine culture, and even more against someone who is the emperor of the Byzantine Empire.

The most common issue is the Celibate trait - Celibate rulers cannot press a claim on the Byzantine Empire. If this is your case, abandon celibacy and you'll be able to do it. :)
I'm not celibate. If there are a bunch of requirements I'll do some googling and try to figure out which I might not meet.

Is your character female? Orthodox prevents women from pressing claims on a male character (Even when you have a custom faith).

I'm not celibate. If there are a bunch of requirements I'll do some googling and try to figure out which I might not meet.
The standard restrictions for Byzantine targets is:

Code:
                    NOR = {
                        has_trait = eunuch
                        has_trait = devoted
                        has_trait = celibate
                    }

For the emperor also add:

Code:
                    NOR = {
                        has_trait = incapable
                        has_trait = blind
                        has_trait = disfigured
                        has_trait = eunuch
                        has_trait = maimed
                        has_trait = one_eyed
                        has_trait = one_legged
                        has_trait = clubfooted
                        has_trait = hunchbacked
                        has_trait = dwarf
                    }

Is your character female? Orthodox prevents women from pressing claims on a male character (Even when you have a custom faith).
AFAIK the sex restrictions only apply to third party claims. You can always press your own, personal claims regardless. :)

Reactions:
With "buy claim" you cant press a claim on Empire tier titles, or kingdom tier titles, if you have an Empire/Kingdom tier title.

You have a kingdom tier title don't you?

With "buy claim" you cant press a claim on Empire tier titles, or kingdom tier titles, if you have an Empire/Kingdom tier title.

I think a king or emperor can't buy such claim in the first place, but I highly doubt there's a restriction against pressing the claim if you buy it before ranking up to king or emperor.

Reactions:

I think a king or emperor can't buy such claim in the first place, but I highly doubt there's a restriction against pressing the claim if you buy it before ranking up to king or emperor.
@kviiri is right. That restriction is on buying claims, not on pressing them. :)

Reactions:
Correct me if I'm wrong but pressing a claim against an already contested title is not possible, right? Perhaps the byzantines are already being attacked or during a revolt?

Doesn't the game tell you in a pop up when you hover with the mouse of declare war button why you cannot declare war. I thought it did....
It's supposed to. Sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it won't even let you open up the window - without telling you why either. :(