• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MissDeliana

Second Lieutenant
28 Badges
Jul 3, 2018
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Empire of Sin - Deluxe Edition
  • Empire of Sin
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Age of Wonders III
  • BATTLETECH
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
EoS_BlogHeader_Salazar.png

The jury’s still out on Salazar Reyna. Actually, there are many juries, judges, law enforcers, and gangs still looking for him. He ignores the rumors and hearsay that people say about him, then stokes the fire now and then with a lesson in brutality. With a background that’s murkier than a dark alley puddle, his reputation touches near-mythic heights around the streets of Chicago. The more God-fearing folks of the city believe he is not of this world. Some say he leaves footprints in blood wherever he goes. More say they have seen him scalp a man with little more than brute force and a fingernail. Others say the only time you hear him speak is right before you die.

Whether any of this is to be believed or not depends on the individual, but there’s no denying the menacing aura that Reyna carries around with him. He uses his prowess to cut his way through the city’s roughest and toughest criminal entrepreneurs with unflinching savagery, taking the best parts of the streets for himself. His penchant for gruesome ends complements Chicago’s sensibilities, in fact, there are a few things the city’s try-hards could learn from his methods.

All that is known about him is he came from out West, and left a hell of a mess behind him in L.A. The rest can only be guessed at by his boxers build, the south of the border mannerisms, and the eerie legends that follow him. One thing is for sure, Salazar has the stare of a predatory animal who’s used to being top of the food chain, and he’s got no reason to think any differently now that he’s come to Chicago.

SALAZAR REYNA’S PAPER TRAIL ACROSS AMERICA
WANTED By Los Angeles Police Department
Trading_Card_Large_SalazarReyna.png

DESCRIPTION
Born: Unknown
Birthplace: Oaxaca, Mexico
Height: 5’9”
Weight: 190lb
Hair: Black
Eyes: Brown
Complexion: Sallow, visible scarring, partially obscured by mustache.

REMARKS
Fugitive from justice, Salazar Reyna, formerly of Oaxaca, Mexico, currently residing in Los Angeles, is being sought by the HOMICIDE DIVISION of the Los Angeles Police Department on counts of first-degree murder, aggravated assault, and robbery.

CAUTION
Salazar Reyna is the prime suspect in a triple homicide in the Silver Lake district. He is said to be ARMED AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. If seen, do not approach. Seek out law enforcers immediately.

Issued & Authorised by: George K. Home
Dated: August 24th, 1919

A clipping from the ‘Denver Daily’ newspaper in Colorado reporting on an isolated incident with an unidentified man now believed to be Salazar Reyna…

BOARDING HOUSE BRAWL
Leaves Two Slain, One Critically Wounded
Denver, CO.– A night of terror ensued on Tuesday last, at a roadside boarding house in the shadow of the Rocky Mountains. Two men have been fatally wounded, with a third currently residing at Denver General hospital with a gunshot wound. Police have identified the wounded as Jacob Mathers, a local and night porter at Wither’s boarding house where the incident occured. The dead – associates of Mr. Mathers – have yet to be identified. One witness alleges that the three men were orchestrating the robbery of a guest who was passing through the city. Police have yet to confirm this statement.

“The one with the mustache”
Shortly after midnight, witnesses state they heard sounds of a scuffle from one of the rooms, followed by a series of shouts. Moments later, a gunshot followed. One witness who woke to the mayhem describes what he saw in the hallway: “The walls were shaking and I heard glass breaking…Once I got to the hallway, a man staggered out from the room next door. The one with the mustache appeared and stuck him right through the eye. I ain’t seen anything like it.”

Witnesses outside the boarding house recall seeing a man crash through the window, right into the street. He succumbed to the wounds inflicted by the glass and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Still At Large
Law enforcers are still searching for the unidentified man responsible for disturbing the peace, resulting in the deaths of two men. Police describe the man as having a strong build, dark eyes, hair, and a large mustache. With the only survivor of the incident unconscious and critically injured, police are appealing to any witnesses with further information to come forward and aid in the investigation.

A witness statement taken by SLCPD in Utah. Mr. John Roberts was witness to an incident of grievous bodily harm at a men’s club where he works. The description of the man matches that of Salazar Reyna…

SALT LAKE CITY POLICE DEPARTMENT
WITNESS STATEMENT
Statement for: Salt Lake City Police Department
Statement number: #002
Date: 10th October 1919
Witness: Mr. John Roberts
Occupation of Witness: Club Attendant
Attending Officer: Det. Rooney
Stenographer: A. Miller

I started my shift at nine-thirty. By then, Taylor and a couple of others were at a table playing cards. There was some gambling involved. Whatever Taylor’s secret was, he was on a real heater; winning every hand, letting everyone know about it. A real loudmouth too, but sort of funny with it. Expect nothing less from a Texan, I guess. An hour later, he was even getting bored. He’d a stack of cash beside him like one of those big-city skyscrapers.

He played a guy off the table, that’s when the other fella took his seat. Waltzed right over, sat down without a word to anyone. He was tough-looking and just put his money on the table, waiting to be dealt in. Taylor tried joshing him a bit but got no answer. He kept smiling though, hungry for fresh meat.

Only thing bigger than Taylor’s mouth is his ego. He bet big every time. The new fella worked him quick, took Taylor’s heat right out from under him. It was a spectacle, the other guys was even rooting for him, I bet. He was finally shutting Taylor the hell up. Still, not one word passed his lips, and he was winning big. I mean real big. He just stared around the table, eyes meaner than a jail hound. Almost looked like winning annoyed him.

So it got to about twelve-thirty. There was me, a guy at the table hanging on by a couple of dollars, Taylor, and the quiet man. Taylor decided to go all in, must’ve fancied his hand. So he threw in, put up two middle fingers, and said to the quiet man, “I’ll raise ya two of these.” I tried shouting over to remind him this was a Gentleman’s Club, but the quiet man cut me off. The only thing he said all night: “It’s a free country. He’s free to lose them if he wants.”

Taylor put down three queens. The quiet man showed him a full house and scooped the pot. That’s when he done what he did. He stood and came around the table. Taylor was starting to crack wise with him, but The quiet man just punched him hard. Then he grabbed his hand, put the middle finger in his mouth, and bit down.

The sound…it was ghastly. That’s what I remember most, this wet crunching noise, and Taylor screaming to high heaven.

He went sheet white, staring at the mess of his hand when the quiet man moved onto the other one, staring into Taylor’s crying eyes the whole damn time. I don’t recall much after that. There was blood all over the table, the floor, Taylor’s Stetson. I didn’t want to get too close to that barbarian so I just sent for you guys. He turned and walked out as soon as he did it. Not another word. Worst part is, I didn’t see him spit the fingers out, and they was nowhere to be found when y’all arrived. But he must’ve, right? He must have.

This statement signed by John Roberts is true to the best of my knowledge and belief. I consent to it being tendered in evidence and do so willingly under the eyes of state law.

Reactions:
I like the stories and the hype, but what it really does is make me want to get back in the game - but I am waiting on the pending overhaul first. In it's current state, the game isn't challenging or fun.

As for Salazar, he suffers from the same problem every player controlled mobster does in game - he is just WAY too powerful in combat. In fact, he may be one of the worst with his "kill everything in a circle around him" skill.

As said before - game has tremendous potential, it just hasnt gotten there yet. A pretty substantial overhaul is need to provide balance to the game and add in some kind of actual strategic challenge (no more kill one boss get everything they have silliness).

Sorry to be negative in what is obviously intended to be a fun post, but, again, stuff like this just make the pending overhaul you teased that much more important.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
Excellent world-building! Is there any tie between this character and the Mexican revolution? Seems like he could have been a revolutionary at some point.

As for Salazar, he suffers from the same problem every player controlled mobster does in game - he is just WAY too powerful in combat. In fact, he may be one of the worst with his "kill everything in a circle around him" skill.

No more powerful than the other incredibly strong abilities (DMJ is impossibly powerful as well). I think right now, the game sits in a fun place as a fun concept that focused a lot on the chrome and less on the fundamentals. Stellaris was in a similar state at one point, so it is a matter of time before this gets there too.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Excellent world-building! Is there any tie between this character and the Mexican revolution? Seems like he could have been a revolutionary at some point.

No more powerful than the other incredibly strong abilities (DMJ is impossibly powerful as well). I think right now, the game sits in a fun place as a fun concept that focused a lot on the chrome and less on the fundamentals. Stellaris was in a similar state at one point, so it is a matter of time before this gets there too.

Yes, the fundamental structure is there. It is some of the mechanics decisions, at both the strategic and tactical levels, that need to be overhauled. Right now, there are no strategic consequences to to the gameplay or your decisions in game. It all comes down to kill boss = get 20 rackets/rinse/repeat.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I like the stories and the hype, but what it really does is make me want to get back in the game - but I am waiting on the pending overhaul first. In it's current state, the game isn't challenging or fun.

As said before - game has tremendous potential, it just hasnt gotten there yet. A pretty substantial overhaul is need to provide balance to the game and add in some kind of actual strategic challenge (no more kill one boss get everything they have silliness).

Sorry to be negative in what is obviously intended to be a fun post, but, again, stuff like this just make the pending overhaul you teased that much more important.
I LOVE this! The news reports add tot he intrigue, and make we want to play all that much more. In other words, I couldn’t agree with you more! Few games in my life have had more potential for what I’m always looking for (and rarely finding) than Empire of Sin. I’m just waiting and WAITING for this epic Patch to End all Patches; I NEED this game to reach its fullest potential. Once I admitted to myself that the game is nothing short of unplayable (after a month of obsessing over it - and being sorely disappointed with every new game I had to start after some insane bug or glitch destroyed my hours, days, of progress).

• 3Like
Reactions:
Have to agree with the other posts: this is excellent worldbuilding. Waiting for a few more patches to pull the trigger on this game, but probably will eventually.

• 1Like
Reactions: