• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As far as I can discern, the first four are out of place. The one that should illustrate Portugal reaching #4 is from 1920, and the map underneath shows an empire sans Cambodia, despite advertising such. There are also many more throughout the update.

If I were you, I'd go through and redo all of them. That way you can be sure that all of them are in the right places. Sorry to give you something else to do.

As far as I can discern, the first four are out of place. The one that should illustrate Portugal reaching #4 is from 1920, and the map underneath shows an empire sans Cambodia, despite advertising such. There are also many more throughout the update.

If I were you, I'd go through and redo all of them. That way you can be sure that all of them are in the right places. Sorry to give you something else to do.

I have no idea, everything seems correct to me...

Huh.

Nevermind - it's probably a problem at my end. Sorry for the bother :)

Totally amp'd to see how your navy fairs against the Dutch. Very fun AAR though, and very informative. I've just started playing V2, and reading this has been pretty helpful.

I am following this, because it is interesting and I really need help understanding wtf is going on!

Totally amp'd to see how your navy fairs against the Dutch. Very fun AAR though, and very informative. I've just started playing V2, and reading this has been pretty helpful.

Thank you a lot for your kind words, it' s nice when what I write is helpful to someone. We'll see how it turns out!

I am following this, because it is interesting and I really need help understanding wtf is going on!

Thank you and welcome ! Wtf is going on... in general ?

1930-1936 : Brazil, Aleppo and Yemen

We were geared up for a war against the Dutch. For instance, we were ready to invade Dutch Africa, and we had located their ships.

v2_105.jpg

But the Dutch turned out to be the disappointment of the decade, and they didn't help their sphereling, Brazil. The OE, meanwhile, attacked Egypt, hoping I wouldn't defend them.

We were at war only with Brazil, and now we had to switch our priorities to build steamer transports, as the troops we managed to land were quickly swarmed by Brazilian troops. Their army technology was almost as good as ours.

v2_3.jpg

Probably a more conservative approach, coming from Argentina, would have been better. Almost all of Southern America was allied with us.

v2_8.jpg

But we had planned a two-pronged attack, to try and finish the war quickly.

v2_9.jpg

Our troops fought valiantly and managed to hold their ground, while reenforcements from Europe and Africa streamed in. By April 1930 we had managed to secure a beachhead in the Pernambuco area. It had been a risky strategy, we would probably have lost against a stronger opponent. In fact, we ended up losing the stack who had retreated into mainland Brazil, to Juazeiro.

v2_13.jpg

But their sacrifice had not been in vain. The Portuguese troops regrouped and beat the Brazilians into retreat. The Brazilians couldn't stop the Portuguese three-pronged attack.

v2_14.jpg

In 1931, the Portuguese offensive reached Southern Brazil and supported the Argentinian, Chilean and Paraguay troops who were also active in the area. Other armies moved into Western Brazil and tried to connect with troops from Colombia and Peru.

v2_15.jpg

v2_16.jpg

Portuguese troops were fighting in Anatolia as well, against the Turks. It goes without saying that Brazilian provinces in Europe were going to be occupied.

v2_17.jpg

In November 1932 Portugal was at peace again. Brazil had been subjugated and was now "Portuguese Brazil". But it was still in Netherlands's sphere. We would be satisfied only when Brazil would be Portugal's sphereling again.

v2_19.jpg

But for that, we would need to declare war on the Netherlands. They were allied to the UK and Russia though, who happened to be our allies as well. But they would probably side with the defender.

The war with the Turks was over as well. We had recovered the Aleppo region for Egypt, and the Persians now controlled the Kars region, just because.

v2_24.jpg

We had let France take Yemen from our sphere of influence. So in 1934, we had the opportunity to invade them as well.

By the end 1935, Yemen belonged to Portugal. Aaaaaand it was over.

v2_28.jpg

There was only a war which was being fought, Russia vs China/France/Japan.

v2_30.jpg

Factories in January 1936.

v2_32.jpg

Technologies in January 1936.

v2_36.jpg

Reforms that had been passed. Actually, pretty few.

v2_44.jpg

Sphere of influence. Italy had been added. We were hoping other GPs would remove Spain from our sphere, but they hadn't been quick enough.

v2_47.jpg

Portugal map
V2_MAP_POR_1935.12.29_3.jpg

World map.
V2_MAP_POR_1935.12.29_1.jpg

State of the world in 1936
V2_49.jpg

Usually, by 1936 the game would be over, but I kept playing after that. I wasn't satisfied, as I wanted to sphere Brazil, get a couple of province from Spain, see if I could get a better rank, pass all reforms and research all technologies - and see the end of the war between France and Russia. So, this AAR is not over yet. We'll see what happens after 1936.

Last edited:
That last picture for me shows the state of the world in 1883 - though I imagine that's a problem at my end.

Perhaps the best thing about that update was that the whole Brazilian Mesopotamia problem has been solved. Now that it connects to Portuguese Iraq it looks a lot better ;)

Im looking forward to this continuing until after 1936 - I've really enjoy this AAR thus far.

I fixed the last image, thank you.

Hum, Portuguese Brazil .. that sounds much better :p But that part of being a shereling of the Ducht is wierd enough :/

On your post 1936 goals ... well passing Austria is clearly feasible but the rest is quite far away, Spain is barely a secondary power so it should be easy to get something out of them ... and that France war has all to become the next big carnage of the century , I guess :p

Great job!

Rensslaer

Thank you and welcome ! Wtf is going on... in general ?

My first 4 attempts I got slaughtered. Then I saw that video of Japan. I tried that, and promptly got slammed. I tried it again, after reading your and a Spain aar, and read some of the thread questions on various aspects of the game. So, I tried another Japan. I got lucky on a few of the infamy rolls, only gaining 4, 7 and 8. So I let it cool, and would try to pick up another area. I also kept raising my relations with all the great powers until they were all 200. It took forever, but I finally got an alliance with the US after making great power status myself. I now own Korea, Brunei, Jahore, Vietnam, most of Laos ( a central province was taken by Siam. I colonized micronesia. I am getting ready to take Quanxi from China for my next target, unless something more lucrative turns up. I shifted to court party, and have railroads in most provinces other than the most recent conquered. I also have factories popping up all over the place. I have everything max'd on the expense side of the budget screen and am still clearing about 75 a day, the balance on had is 300,000. It has just turned 1868, so I am thinking I might have finally figured out the basice finally. :eek:o
For a while there, I didn't see how to get anywhere, especially when everytime I did a justify war I would get discovered and have a 20 to 22 infamy penalty. :mad: I must admit, I was really surprised at how fast things started after westernizing. :)

Hallo everybody, thank you for the feedback.

@DensleyBlair : Thank you. Yes, now the map looks definitely better.

@Belgiumruler : Maybe you are right... I was born to colonize. Too bad in HoD colonization works very differently.

@Ricardo Rolo : Yeah, let's see what I manage to accomplish. So I ended up pleasing you and now Brazil belongs to Portugal :).

@Avindian : Thank you !

@Seelmeister : Thank you. We'll see how it turns out!

@Rensslaer : Thank you !

@Forster : I am happy I could help you make some progress in your game. Everybody has been a beginner - I consider myself an intermediate player at best.

1936 - 1943 : Wars with Spain, the Netherlands and Russia

In May 1936, the war between Russia and China / France is already over. It is a Russian victory, and the Sofianova region now belongs to Russia.

v2_1b.jpg

In November 1938, at last, Spain is outside of Portugal's sphere of influence. Therefore, we start justifying a war against them.

v2_3.jpg

It's a new era and we need to try new things. To get rid of some infamy, we release Aceh and Brunei. What can go wrong ?

v2_11.jpg

In August 1939, we are at war with Spain. Of course, we have made sure that France and UK are not Friendly before declaring war.

v2_15.jpg

Meanwhile, we released Tunis and Hedjaz as well.

v2_21.jpg

It is not an interesting war. I have added another war goal, acquire Estremadura, along with the other one, acquire Leon-Castilla. I am not sure if I added it or "justified" it - you can use "justify war" while at war as well on your enemy, to save some infamy if you are lucky.

v2_24.jpg

But one thing you have to remember after releasing countries - you actually have to sphere them. It is not probably a good idea to release several dominions at the same time. In fact, Tunis would end up being sphered by the USA.

v2_30.jpg

In the end, it's three regions we end up adding to Portugal, justifying war for every region : Andalucia, Leon Castilla, Estremadura. Now that's more like it.

v2_37b.jpg

But the new regions have a few small factories and don't seem to contribute much to our industry score. That was a disappointment. It is too late to make a difference.

v2_38.jpg

But right now, we have two problems, actually two wars we ended up being involved in.

Spain went bankrupt and the Dutch attacked them. As we were friendly with Spain, fancy that, we declared war on the Dutch. It is not a war which worries us. In fact, their mainland is being invaded by our spherelings and Spain.

v2_42.jpg

Their overseas colonies are also being invaded. They are supposed to have over 400 ships, but their main fleet is nowhere to be seen.

v2_44.jpg

v2_45.jpg

Much more worrying is the war against Russia and the Ottomans our sphereling Chile called us into. The Ottomans actually want the Ankara region from Chile, giving it back to them would not be totally wrong. By why should we, as it seems like we are winning this war. Or at least we have a positive war score.

v2_47.jpg

But Austria will not be able to hold the Russians for long, and it does not seem likely the few troops we have managed to bring here are going to make a difference. The main Dutch stuck is also here somewhere. We shouldn't stay for long in this war...

v2_48.jpg

v2_50.jpg

... considering also our financial situation.

v2_51.jpg

We settle for a white peace in both of these wars. In 1943, the world is at peace again. At least, we are, but France and China are at war with Russia again. The only territorial change is our new Spanish provinces, and the dominions we released.

v2_60.jpg

Our standing in the world hasn't actually got any better. We are at 7th place now. That is disappointing.

V2_61.jpg

World map in 1943.

V2_MAP_POR_1943.12.14_1.jpg

Nicely done. Intersting to see the first update that surpasses the original timeframe. I like how you released some of the colonies as satellites - it's nicely in keeping with the period.

I'm looking forward to seeing what's next for Portugal - the victory over Spain certainly set an interesting precedent.

Good update. Hopefully your acquisitions will help offset the rise of new GP's. Although the Spanish provinces haven’t proved to be an industrial bonanza, it’s still a population boost, a shot in the arm to tax, and a few small factories are better than none. The defeat of the Netherlands certainly can't have harmed your advantage over them either.