• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Poor Germans :/ And it looks you were in the wrong side of a coalition of medium sized powers with GB snoozing on the wheel and you with no means of making much to help ... Those war reparations are ugly indeed, but you only need to see North Germany to see how bad it could had been for you :p

So, are you going to make other diplo arrangements. I'm not seeing NGF recovering from this and if GB helps you as much they helped NGF you are in a tight spot ....

Thank you for the feedback. I am tempted to try and play as Germany when the war started and see if I can win the war, I don't know if I will get around to it. Or I should have just ignored the call to arms...

I don't suppose going for Brazil would be viable at this point? It would certainly be entertaining to see the parent and child reunited.

Shame about that Great War - I'm yet to experience one, though Europe now looks incredibly ugly, which I would never be able to stand, so that's probably for the better. I couldn't even take an NGF Greenland ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing how you deal with the affects of war.

Attacking Brazil does not make sense to me since it is in my sphere and a loyal ally... it is less expensive to invest there to get a bigger share of their raw materials.

Yeah, that great war sucked...

Poor Germans :/ And it looks you were in the wrong side of a coalition of medium sized powers with GB snoozing on the wheel and you with no means of making much to help ... Those war reparations are ugly indeed, but you only need to see North Germany to see how bad it could had been for you :p

So, are you going to make other diplo arrangements. I'm not seeing NGF recovering from this and if GB helps you as much they helped NGF you are in a tight spot ....

Yeah, I wish Great Britain was more useful, they are very disappointing for being the strongest country in the world.

Well, I will cancel the alliance with the NGF, but I will probably keep the alliance with Great Britain, as their colonies are next to mine.

Just found you aar and am now up to date. Fascinating. I a beginner at this, so this is helping me.

What I am trying to figure out is what allows you to colonize. I am playing as Spain. I wanted to colonize, but the target has a civ/dev (I don't have the game open to determine what it is called) value of 15, while I am at 35. It would seem that as Spain was the original colonizer of finding the new world, it should still be able to colonize.

It's intended, you should note that during Great Discoveries Spain and other powers did only colonize some hospitable lands e.g. in Americas, while in Africa they only set some ports/coal stations (apart from Cape Colony). You can lower minimum liferating to colonize by resarching certain techs, in HoD Breech-Loaded Rifles, Medicine and State & Government and then meet the conditions for inventions to fire.

Good job soo far, i have tried this campaign myself, but i am still a noob at Vic2, bad laws to start it made my industry to weak (it needed to be subsidized to keep working) and the UK puting their noses in every single war didnt helped either...

Keep the good job!

@Forster, Cossack_PL : Thank you. In AHD you have to research Machine Guns instead of Breech-Loaded Rifles to be able to colonize in provinces where Life Rating is 15. There are a couple of islands off Africa who have a life rating or 25 or 30, and can be colonized only when having medicine.

@Hopolita : Thank you! Industry in Portugal is weak at the beginning, it industrializes for real in the late game , as it should be.

1883-1886 : War over Sokoto

We are still allied with the UK, and they get attacked by the USA. We accept the call to arms, but we immediately opt out of the war.

v2_2.jpg

But there is something more interesting to do. Like attack Sokoto and grab a couple of provinces from them. We can't annex, as for some reason the protectorate casus belli does not work on them.
We start justifying a "Demand Concession" casus belli, but we can't ignore the fact the the Netherlands are friendly to them.

v2_45.jpg

We declare war on the Sokoto and as expected the Dutch intervene. But we can call our spherelings to arms as well.

v2_5.jpg

In fact, Spain enthusiastically crosses the desert to help us against the Dutch.

v2_10.jpg

A huge enemy stack is active in the East Indies, where we don't have any troops. We will just let them occupy those provinces and drive our war score up in Africa.

v2_11.jpg

By December 1885, the Dutch troops in Africa have been virtually eliminated. We have called the British to arms too.

v2_13.jpg

Several Dutch provinces have been occupied by August 1886. Warscore is 28% . The war could go on, but our budget is tight.

v2_15.jpg

Let me introduce you to the Diplomacy Screen, tab "Show Wars". There is here a lot of information about countries you cannot find anywhere else, for all I know.

v2_24.jpg

First, this is where you go to when you want to "Add a Wargoal" to your current war (2). This is a button I searched for a long time as a beginner. Unlike EU3, you cannot ask for whatever you want in a peace deal - there must be a wargoal. The war goals you have on that country are then shown on the left of the button (3).

This is also where you go when you want to know about a country's infamy (4), war exhaustion (5), army technology level (6) and naval technology (7) - just hover on the icons to see the popups. Actually, I have just learned today how to find out about a country's technology without having to go to battle with them.

Our war score is good enough to get a couple of provinces from the Sokoto.

v2_19.jpg

We now have a couple of provinces more.

v2_31.jpg

As I said, our budget is tight. Those war reparations are killing us.

v2_32.jpg

I haven't payed attention to our industry. Some factories are thriving, but other have gone bankrupt.
I actually have no idea how to use national focuses, I am creating soldiers in the mainland.

v2_33.jpg

Our capitalists are poor. There are a lot of projects which are queued. and take forever to finish. I wish they were smarter.
Not sure if creating more capitalists would help. Anyway I don't want to throw money at these projects right now.

v2_35.jpg

We have a major diplomatic success - now Egypt is part of our sphere of influence, after some kind of revolution made them get out of France's sphere of influence.

We make sure we have 100 influence on all of our spherelings - as a precaution. If we don't pay attention and somehow they get unsphered we can sphere them right back that way.
But obviously the safest way is to play "whack-a-mole" and discredit / expel / decrese opinion of countries who are trying to influence our spherelings, like in this case the UK in Siam.

By the way, we find out in shock that the French are now more powerful than the British.

v2_37.jpg

But it is anyway too late to build the Suez Channel. The French already did it.
With privilege comes now obligation - Egypt is at war with the Ottoman Empire and we will have to intervene to preserve the Status Quo.

v2_43.jpg

State of the world in September 1886.

V2_53.jpg

World map in September 1886

V2_MAP_POR_1886.9.22_3.jpg

That's one hell of an empire you've got yourself. Seeing a relative patchwork in north Africa is refreshing - usually France just take the entirety of the Sahara in my games.

I'm looking forward to the next update - I always enjoy this AAR. It's very well done.

Seeing the Spanish walk thousands of miles to battle the Dutch shouldn't be a surprise to anyone ;)

France being nº 1 is a surprise, but looking a their score , it is mostly about prestige... maybe a lot from that sadly lost NGF war. It is most likely not sustainable, but then again who cares about who is nº1 as lost as you are in the 8 first ? :D

On the Ottomans, are you going to push for something ( a province or liberation of a country ) or are you going to just beat them to their senses before more vultures join the party ? There is any GP that has a decent chance of intervening in the Ottoman side ?

Last edited:
hey can you give me the save in the begening of the Great war? I what to play as germany and see If a do better
can you also give me the save after the Great war? I like a chalenge :rolleyes:

That's one hell of an empire you've got yourself. Seeing a relative patchwork in north Africa is refreshing - usually France just take the entirety of the Sahara in my games.

I'm looking forward to the next update - I always enjoy this AAR. It's very well done.

Thank you for the kind words DensleyBlair. I hope you will keep enjoying it !

Seeing the Spanish walk thousands of miles to battle the Dutch shouldn't be a surprise to anyone ;)

France being nº 1 is a surprise, but looking a their score , it is mostly about prestige... maybe a lot from that sadly lost NGF war. It is most likely not sustainable, but then again who cares about who is nº1 as lost as you are in the 8 first ? :D

On the Ottomans, are you going to push for something ( a province or liberation of a country ) or are you going to just beat them to their senses before more vultures join the party ? There is any GP that has a decent chance of intervening in the Ottoman side ?

Great information, I didn't know about the Spanish Road ! You live and learn.

Yeah, France will probably go back to being #2 - Portugal will probably stay #5 for a while though.

I can't get anything out of this war if I intervene - Egypt has added the "Status Quo" wargoal. For the same reason, other GPs are unlikely to intervene if they haven't been called to arms by now.

hey can you give me the save in the begening of the Great war? I what to play as germany and see If a do better
can you also give me the save after the Great war? I like a chalenge :rolleyes:

Here are the save files from that period. Let us know if you manage to save Germany.

Last edited:
It's intended, you should note that during Great Discoveries Spain and other powers did only colonize some hospitable lands e.g. in Americas, while in Africa they only set some ports/coal stations (apart from Cape Colony). You can lower minimum liferating to colonize by resarching certain techs, in HoD Breech-Loaded Rifles, Medicine and State & Government and then meet the conditions for inventions to fire.

Thanks.

1886-1890 : War with the Ottomans and economy recap

It's September 1886, and the Ottoman Empire is "liberating" the Aleppo region from Egypt. They are not meeting any resistance in the Middle East.

v2_1.jpg

By January 1887, we have intervened to help our sphereling. But it will take some time till we are able to help the Egyptians. The Status Quo has been added as a wargoal.

v2_3.jpg

By December 1887, we have called our spherelings to arms and managed to bring troops to the Middle East. After crushingly defeating the Turks, they either retreated or surrendered. Some have moved on to the Arabian Peninsula. We are also occupying Libya and Cyprus.

v2_9.jpg

v2_10.jpg

v2_55.jpg

In the meantime, war reparations have ended.

v2_11.jpg

In January 1889, the Ottomans have been kicked out of Arabia and are in full retreat in the Middle East.

v2_56.jpg

v2_13.jpg

The Ottomans have even been cheeky enough to add another wargoal - while we can't add any. Only Status Quo.

v2_14.jpg

Meanwhile, on a side note, the NGF has gone Communist and is fighting against Sweden.

v2_26.jpg

The sooner we get over with this war, the better.

v2_25.jpg

In March 1890, Europe is at peace again - almost. Russia has declared war on the NGF, to liberate Bavaria.

v2_27.jpg

Our national focuses are on clerks in the mainland, as we don't have enough to research effectively.

v2_32.jpg

Our industry is struggling. Without subsidizing it would be even worse. We need to have a closer look at that. We have access to resources, but all of our factories are overproducing. Like this clothes factory for instance.

v2_57.jpg

There is demand for it, but the POPs don't have enough money.

v2_65.jpg

v2_66.jpg

Decreasing taxes for the poor could help. But won't help the ones who are unemployed and don't have any money AT ALL.

v2_64.jpg

It may be a better idea to finance these projects, who will never get started without our help. But we need money for that. Bah !

I don't think more capitalists would help, as the ones who already have are obviously poor.

v2_48.jpg

Our sphere of influence is untouched. Diplomatic screen.

v2_51.jpg

And Technology recap.

v2_43.jpg

Last edited:
How long has Lithuania been independent? I've never seen that before.

It's a shame that you weren't able to get anything out of the Ottoman war, but keeping your spherelings safe is always a bonus. I'd never noticed the diplomatic balance section before - thanks for highlighting that. Same with the production screens - I tend to just assume everything is running smoothly and leave them alone. This is a very informative AAR.

Looking forward to more.

How long has Lithuania been independent? I've never seen that before.

It's a shame that you weren't able to get anything out of the Ottoman war, but keeping your spherelings safe is always a bonus. I'd never noticed the diplomatic balance section before - thanks for highlighting that. Same with the production screens - I tend to just assume everything is running smoothly and leave them alone. This is a very informative AAR.

Looking forward to more.

Lithuania became independent after the Great War, as there was turmoil in Russia after that. They nearly became Communist. The revolters were crushed, but Lithuania managed to become independent.

Thank you, I will be happy if people can learn something from this AAR.

Why didn't you research Social Thought? Darwinism would really help with your literacy.

You are right, I will do it ASAP.

1890-1899 : Wars with Sokoto, the Ottoman Empire and Italy.

Let's talk about the conflicts Portugal was involved in the years between 1890-1899. In 1895, Portugal annexed Sokoto. The Netherlands, still friendly with them, didn't intervene this time.

v2_6.jpg

But that was not the major conflict Portugal was involved in this decade. In 1895, the Ottomans declared war on our sphereling Egypt, to recover the Aleppo region. The troops we were able to commit to the Middle East war theatre were outnumbered by the Turks, and at first we had to make a fighting retreat. But we knew we would win the war eventually, as we had a better technology.

v2_7.jpg

But after a couple of months, the Italians attacked Egypt as well. Casus belli was the Asmara region. Now that was a much more dangerous enemy, one we could not outclass that easily.

v2_16.jpg

What are the Italians even after? This is the Asmara region they wanted.

v2_25.jpg

They even had the guts to invade Spain. Spain had an even worse technology than ourselves.

v2_28.jpg

We choose the easy way out. France had offered us an alliance a couple of years ago. We were allied with UK and France. We could not call both to arms, as one of them would become war leader and would not let us call to arms the other. We picked France, who had a direct border with Italy.

In January 1896, France had already invaded Italy. Fun fact is, Italy was in France's sphere. It was obvious the Italians didn't have a chance against their "cugini d'oltralpe" - cousins from beyond the Alps.
And in Portugal, everybody went "Vive la France!".

v2_30.jpg

"C'est pas trop tot" - they weren't too early. In fact, it's only because of AI incompetence Portugal troops don't get surrounded. Italians troops totally outclassed Portugal's in Egypt, without France's intervention Asmara would have become Italian.

v2_31.jpg

v2_33.jpg

No matter how hard we tried, Italians troop consistently defeated our troops. The main reason was probably that we didn't have any artillery.

v2_45.jpg

We were actually taking one for the team, as France could invade Italy unhindered.

France had already added a wargoal, and I guess it is fair they got something out of this war. Without them, Portugal's defeat would have been certain.

v2_36.jpg

With the Italians out of the picture, we could go on the offensive. The Ottomans were an enemy we could beat without help. But Egypt had signed a peace with the Ottomans, and had ceded them the Aleppo region they wanted. I was not getting it back for them.

This was the situation in August 1897.

v2_54.jpg

By July 1898, as the Ottoman Empire was fully occupied, a Communist Revolt broke out. We wanted it to win, as that would have given us the opportunity to sphere them. It was time to sign a peace treaty.

v2_56.jpg

We dismembered - partly - the Ottoman Empire. Ugly borders - maybe unrealistic - but I wanted to go with the flow and enforced the spherelings' requests, and added a couple of my own.

v2_92.jpg

v2_93.jpg

To connect our African territories to the Mediterranean, we also got the Tripoli provinces, which wasn't considered a place in the sun and therefore cost us a lot of infamy.

v2_99.jpg

In 1899, our sphere includes several new countries : Colombia, Greece, Montenegro, Argentina and the Ionian Islands.

v2_69.jpg

Not sure how it works, and it wasn't planned. But controlling Colombia allows us to build the Panama Canal.

v2_80.jpg

At last we seem to have the economy in our control and manage to have a good positive balance without bleeding our people dry.

v2_71.jpg

We are the fifth industrial power in the world. It seems that at last most of our industries are making a profit.

We financed some railroads the Capitalists were planning to build, as it is always cheaper than building them yourself.

Now the Capitalists are able to actually get something done, and the projects get built consistently. They are fairly rich now.

v2_72.jpg

World map in April 1899.

V2_MAP_POR_1899.4.6_1.jpg

Last edited:
Damn, they're ugly borders. Please say you're going to rectify that ;)

In any case, good to see Portugal flexing her muscles within Europe/Asia Minor. I'm looking forward to the next update.