• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thank you everybody for your feedback!

@Ricardo Rolo : Thank you, this is the kind of input I need, since I don't know much about the history of Portugal. I have read a little and I am suprised that there had been so many revolts and revolutions in the Victoria timeframe, I used to think Portugal had been a boring monarchy all along....
I'll definitely strive for the pink map, but any major war, including one with Brazil, seems something I can't really afford atm....And anyway, Brazil wants to be my friend !

@TristramShandy : Thank you, your input is highly appreciated. I am certainly happy to get to know more about the game and so are probably the people reading this thread.
I have been thinking about attacking Ethiopia and Sokoto, but somehow I don't consider this to be "plausible" enough, while Aceh, Johore and Brunei fit better IMHO. After all we have Goa, Macau, Deli - and Malacca used to be Portuguese, so I think expanding in the region is something a smart Portugal would do anyway. But if no other european power takes them, I will have to do it, since "civilization" has to be brought to them.
Be nice to Portugal - or we'll bring "civilization" to your country !

@vasziljevics : Oops, my bad. But I'm happy you have found it anyway. :)

@Micutio : Thank you. I hope I will be able to keep you interested to the end :)

Last edited:
Brazil is cuddly, why should I attack him?

JBlR8.png

Well, if you want to bring a CK II borrow, in 1836 the queen of Portugal and the Emperor of Brazil were brothers and both with legitimate claims to each other's crown ( because technically in the last times of Brazil and Portugal being below the same government, they were actually two separate crowns ( actually they were three, because Algarve is traditionally a separate kingdom of Portugal proper ... ;) ) ). To add, the first emperor of Brazil ( and father of both rulers of 1836 ) was also King of Portugal at a time, as he was the firstborn son of the last king of Portugal that also ruled Brazil ( and most of the time he was rulling from Brazil, due to the escape of the Portuguese royal family there in from of a Napoleonic army :/ . For some reason he decided to stay there until 1820 , when a revolt in Lisbon demanded his immediate return or else ... )... he abdicated the Portuguese throne to his daughter ( that was to marry with his brother ... ), just to see his brother crowning himself King. Then he abdicated the Brazilian crown too to fight in Portugal for his daughter crown against his brother :p , that he actually was almost finishing when he dies.

If this rather resumed tale sounds like a soap opera, now try to imagine to cram this in History lessons :p But you can imagine that there were still a lot of axes to grind in 1836 ( just 11 years after the formal recognition of the Brazilian independence ) ... the issue is that, as it happens in game , Portugal in OTL was not even close of being ready to try to take Brazil in again in 1836.

P.S On the grammar thing, Portugal and Brazil do not follow the same grammar since 1911 ( long story short, the then new Portuguese republic decided to weave a new grammar without consulting Brazil and Brazil decided to retaliate in kind :D ). There is a formal agreement signed some years ago between all the Portuguese speaking countries, but in Brazil is seen as twisting their way to the Portuguese one and in Portugal is seen as twisting our way to the Brazilian one, so I really don't expect it to stick :/

Brazil is cuddly, why should I attack him?

JBlR8.png

Pretty epic that.

If this rather resumed tale sounds like a soap opera, now try to imagine to cram this in History lessons :p But you can imagine that there were still a lot of axes to grind in 1836 ( just 11 years after the formal recognition of the Brazilian independence ) ... the issue is that, as it happens in game , Portugal in OTL was not even close of being ready to try to take Brazil in again in 1836.

P.S On the grammar thing, Portugal and Brazil do not follow the same grammar since 1911 ( long story short, the then new Portuguese republic decided to weave a new grammar without consulting Brazil and Brazil decided to retaliate in kind :D ). There is a formal agreement signed some years ago between all the Portuguese speaking countries, but in Brazil is seen as twisting their way to the Portuguese one and in Portugal is seen as twisting our way to the Brazilian one, so I really don't expect it to stick :/

All history is soap opera, just with more fancy names. And regarding grammar, do what we Irish do and make it up as you go along.

@TristramShandy : Thank you, your input is highly appreciated. I am certainly happy to get to know more about the game and so are probably the people reading this thread.
I have been thinking about attacking Ethiopia and Sokoto, but somehow I don't consider this to be "plausible" enough, while Aceh, Johore and Brunei fit better IMHO. After all we have Goa, Macau, Deli - and Malacca used to be Portuguese, so I think expanding in the region is something a smart Portugal would do anyway. But if no other european power takes them, I will have to do it, since "civilization" has to be brought to them.
Be nice to Portugal - or we'll bring "civilization" to your country !

You're welcome. I totally understand the point about plausibility, and in a way I'm pleased you're not going the route I'd normally go, because it's a lot more fun for me to see how somebody else plays the game :D Are you going to try and go for China / Indo-China after you've got a stranglehold on the East Indies? It'd also be pretty cool to see if you could take on the Netherlands at some stage later on in the game and get a bit of their territory around the area, but sometimes their alliances / sphere-master can make that a really difficult task, so part of it is up to luck.

@Ricardo Rolo: That is very interesting information. Regrettably, it isn't modeled in the game and the game doesn't really seem to encourage Portugal to take on Brazil, as they even have different cultures (Brazil is "Brazilian") and Portugal hasn't any core on Brazil. You also don't have a "Reconquest" casus belli. So, apart from RP, there isn't any reason to attack Brazil rather than some other country. Considering how difficult and expensive a war it would be, and how easy it is to sphere Brazil, it isn't really worth the trouble IMHO. Not sure if it would be "plausible".

@TristramShandy : I am not sure yet, China and Indochina are both reasonable targets (after all, we have Macau) as the Arabian Peninsula and Persia, as Muscat and Hormuz have been Portuguese in the EU3 timeframe. And, if circumstances will be favourable, we will claim our provinces back from the Dutch in the Indies.

1848-1854 : First new colonies in Africa and the road to Great Power

By April 1848, the regions of Sena and Mozambique have been colonized - which gives us a big prestige boost and catapults us to rank 8.

v2_1.jpg

For future reference, let's have a look at the Portuguese provinces in Africa, using the region mapmode.

v2_70.jpg

There is still a province to colonize, and we using the other national focus to create bureaucrats in Johore. But we soon learn that this is pointless in a region where you have no accepted culture.

In June 1848, Portugal is officially a Great Power. That was easy !

v2_5.jpg

We have transformed Macaronesia into a state ( 1% of bureaucrats) and now let me introduce you to the administrative map mode, where you can see which provinces have a good administration. We can improve administrative efficiency in North Angola, as there are Portuguese in Sao Tome, from which we can hire Bureaucrats. But regrettably, this won't be possible in the newly acquired provinces in the Pacific.

v2_6.jpg

Meanwhile, the somewhat more conservative "Cabralists" are in power. Cabralists are named after the feared, respected and controversial Antonio Bernardo da Costa Cabral, who created the foundations of the modern Portuguese state.

We have the opportunity to pass a social reform, and we abolish slavery, because we are nice like that. The wikipedia says that Slavery within the African Portuguese colonies was actually abolished in 1869.

v2_13.jpg

If feels good to be a Great Power (while Spain isn't, ahahah). Let me introduce you to the Ranking Mapmode, where GPs are in Green, SPs are blue, Civilized Nations are yellow and uncivilized ones are red.

v2_18.jpg

We can improve administrative efficiency in Mozambique as well, as there are 14% Portuguese there, and move the national focus to bureaucrats there.

And we make the first move towards industrialization, as that 0 industrial score makes me cry. We start researching Practical Steam Engine.

As we are a Great Power, we can now add countries to our sphere of influence. Our first sphereling is Siam, which borders with our Johore provinces and therefore is easier to influence.

Let me introduce you to the "Sphere of Influence" map mode.

v2_38.jpg

We start encouraging capitalists on the mainland. After creating some, we move the focus to creating bureaucrats in the former colonies who are now full national states (North Angola and Mozambique).

By March 1853, we have added also our "son" Brazil to our sphere of influence.

v2_42.jpg

Meanwhile our capitalists, actually with some help from the government, have managed at last to finance a couple of industries. Whether they will be profitable remains to be seen.

v2_45.jpg

Our prestige has increased because of several events I didn't keep track of. Meanwhile, it is increasingly easier for us to have a positive balance sheet, also because of 100% Administrative level.

v2_47.jpg

Artisans are still among the richest in the countries, but labourers and farmers are good taxpayers as well.

v2_60.jpg

In this session we researched Medicine, Ideological Thought (+1 National Focus), Practical Steam Engine (+30% Farming / Mining & 2.5% Factory Output), Ad Hoc Money Bill Printing (+5% Adm efficiency).

Regrettably, even if we have the technology for three national focuses, our population allows us only two national focuses.

v2_74.jpg

The world in 1853.

V2_52.jpg

World map :
V2_MAP_POR_1853.3.12_1.jpg

They're some nice colonies you're developing - I'm looking forward to seeing if the Pink Map will be fulfilled.

Incidentally, how are you able to colonise so quickly? Can colonisation be achieved by having troops in a colonisable province?

Nice update! I see that Sweden is catching up and getting pretty close to your great power spot - a war of humiliation with an uncivilised nation might be in order? I notice you've got a nice chunk of infamy free to bring civilisation to some people in need, heh heh heh

Ah, Portugal is once again a great power... excellent :).

Word on reforms: outlawing slavery might reduce the liberal support for a while. It tends to be a big issue, so you might not be able to pass that many reforms in a while.

Good so far :).

Hi everybody, thank you for the feedback.

They're some nice colonies you're developing - I'm looking forward to seeing if the Pink Map will be fulfilled.

Incidentally, how are you able to colonise so quickly? Can colonisation be achieved by having troops in a colonisable province?

Troops speed colonization, but Portugal has access to a couple of regions at the beginning who have high life rating and nobody else can colonize

Nice update! I see that Sweden is catching up and getting pretty close to your great power spot - a war of humiliation with an uncivilised nation might be in order? I notice you've got a nice chunk of infamy free to bring civilisation to some people in need, heh heh heh

Yes, in fact, I will soon run out of infamy and I will have to spread Portuguese civilization further...It's our burden.
I will try to put off wars with other European powers, because they are bound to be expensive.

Ah, Portugal is once again a great power... excellent :).

Word on reforms: outlawing slavery might reduce the liberal support for a while. It tends to be a big issue, so you might not be able to pass that many reforms in a while.

Good so far :).

Thank you. I'd like to pass more reforms, but usually I just follow the crowd in politics.

Remember that the Dutch East Indies was once the Portuguese East indies. If you can manage it with place in the sun, take it back! :D

If I can, I will, but in terms of infamy, it might be a little expensive. I don't think I have a casus belli for that.

@Funnyman320, @Khalep, @Last_Revanant: Thank you for your words and for following !

1854-1859 : Struggling with industrialization

By August 1856, we have four active factories : a clothes factory in Estremadura, a canned food in Alentejo, a liquor factory in Douro and a Cement Factory in Mocambique - and they all seem to be profitable

v2_68.jpg

As we were running out of infamy, we extended our protection to the Hedjaz, who has now become the Portuguese Hedjaz.

v2_76.jpg

You may not be aware of it, but there is a lot of information you can get from the main screen, just hovering on the right items. You can learn about your balance sheet, how your research is doing, what policies your ruling party is allowing and where your national focuses are.

v2_79.jpg

I switched for a while to a Reactionary party to be able to build a cement factory, as the other factories were having a hard time finding it. I cannot build a machine parts factory yet, that is why I am researching Interchangeable Parts.
National focuses are set to clerks, to make factories more profitable and to improve research.

We have expanded our sphere of influence, which now encompasses Brazil, Peru and Chile in Latin America, as we can see in this sphere of influence map.

v2_83.jpg

In the year 1859, the Cabralists are back to power. Our industrial score is miserable, luckily our prestige offsets that and we can go on being a great power.

v2_109.jpg

Our factories keep on being profitable - kind of. Only the canned food factory is struggling. We will subsidize it, after all canned food is a strategic good.

v2_92.jpg

It would be great if the economy could take care of itself, but regrettably our capitalism is still fragile and if we want projects to be finished, we will have to finance them ourselves I am afraid.

v2_102.jpg

But I can report that our balance sheet is pretty good and we have paid out our debts. Our national bank is also doing fairly good, and therefore we can afford to invest into projects

v2_104.jpg

It's not that our capitalists are totally useless, after all, they have managed to finance some railroads in Mozambique, as we can see in the infrastructure map.

v2_111.jpg

By the way, how are clerks helping our industry ? The industries we are showing have all of their maintainance goods, and since there is a high percentage of clerks have also a fairly high efficiency, which translates into a better "output", that is into a higher ratio of finished goods to raw goods. Craftsmen, instead, help "throughput", which dictates the amount of RGOs we can actually process.

v2_121.jpg

Let's recap the technologies we have researched so far. We have not touched naval, which might be fatal in a war against any European Power. We must make sure we avoid wars against them.

v2_84.jpg

Otherwise, not much has happened in the world. But we are now allied with France and the Netherlands instead of the UK. I must admit I am not paying a lot of attention to the diplomatic game.
But I will introduce you nevertheless to the diplomatic map, where you can see your allies in cyan, and your enemies in red, if in war.

v2_132.jpg

Last edited:
Things seems to be going healthily - I don't see you dropping out of GP status for a while.

Having a small number of capitalists is annoying, and something with which I can sympathise, with my current game being with a modded-in Low Country (Essentially Picardie+North Champagne.)

As ever, his this a really nice AAR.

Hopefully you can continue to industrialize and colonize to help build your military and industry scores. They are looking a little worrisome.

Biggest thing Keep up Prestige! It is how a small nation like Portugal can stay a Great Power. Aim for Machine Guns and Colonze Africa for the Prestige......and if you Can try to get the Techs and Build a Canal (in your Case Suez) if not put a little influence and get positive relations with Egypt to get the Tutankhamens tomb Event.