Borders/Empire colors not visible

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

whoopy42

Recruit
42 Badges
Dec 9, 2013
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
Empire borders/colors aren't appearing in my games for either my empire or the AI. Am I missing some option to make them visible, or is it a bug? I've tried different graphics options, started new games, and even uninstalled and reinstalled the game, but they're still not visible.

KTCJwFM.png

I have a same problem, it is just some kind of graphical artifacts instead of borders. Support said, that it could be fixed when you click the box on the bottom for a more advance view. But it doesn't work by me. Anyway, try to do it.

I'm also experiencing this problem. I'm on Xubuntu 14.04. When I used proprietary AMD GPU drivers, everything worked fine, but recently the drivers were producing errors in the OS itself so I had to switch back to open source X drivers, and now I don't have borders visible in the game.

I also can confirm this on xubuntu 16.04 with a Radeon HD6970 and open source drivers.
I don't see borders at all.

Code:
VGA: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cayman XT [Radeon HD 6970]
Driver: r600
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAYMAN (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.0)
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 11.3.0-devel (git-9f8867d 2016-05-14 xenial-oibaf-ppa)
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.10
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
    GL_ARB_direct_state_access, GL_ARB_draw_buffers,
    GL_ARB_draw_indirect, GL_ARB_draw_instanced,
    GL_ARB_map_buffer_range, GL_ARB_multi_bind, GL_ARB_multi_draw_indirect,
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 11.3.0-devel (git-9f8867d 2016-05-14 xenial-oibaf-ppa)
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 11.3.0-devel (git-9f8867d 2016-05-14 xenial-oibaf-ppa)
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00

Seems like we can confirm it's an issue with linux machines which are running various open source drivers. Paul Bommel and I look like we have nearly identical setups, with the same hardware and software configuration. If anyone has any ideas about how to help debug, that would be great.

I am also experiencing this issue- at first I thought the effect for explored space was supposed to be my empire border, but it became apparent that I just wasn't seeing the empire boundaries after I met the first alien race..

I'm not seeing any weird pixelly artifacts like some of you guys mentioned, but I definitely can't see anything like an empire border.

I'm on a MacBook Pro running Yosemite (10.10.1) with my graphics card listed as "Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB"- I assume this means I also have Intel integrated graphics.

just to say that i fixed my problem by updating the os X version, if that can help any mac users...
What version were you running before, Mister-G?

Some screenshots are attached:
Screen%20Shot%202016-05-20%20at%202.21.30%20PM.png
Screen%20Shot%202016-05-20%20at%202.20.33%20PM.png
Screen%20Shot%202016-05-20%20at%202.20.41%20PM.png
Screen%20Shot%202016-05-20%20at%202.20.29%20PM.png
Screen%20Shot%202016-05-20%20at%202.20.21%20PM.png

Last edited:
Steam discussion is occurring here, along with a possible(?) fix for linux users: https://steamcommunity.com/app/281990/discussions/0/357285562492711302/

Interestingly, MvdS's comment makes it seem like the problem has something to do with a call to libgl1_mesa_dri. I'm not any kind of expert, but I would suspect that the reason why disabling DRI fixed it in this case was because you've effectively disabled the interface that X server uses to communicate with the Intel integrated GPU for hardware acceleration.

This would make sense if the Paradox dev team doesn't want to support Intel hardware. We may want to look into other ways to disable hardware acceleration and see if they remedy the problem.

This would make sense if the Paradox dev team doesn't want to support Intel hardware. We may want to look into other ways to disable hardware acceleration and see if they remedy the problem.

But it would be very strange decision, because if you look at the hardware survey on Steam store, you can see that the second most used video card is Intel

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey?platform=combined

Also I would note that at the moment the EU4,CK2,PoE - they work perfectly on Intel based video.

I'm running a Manjaro XFCE laptop with proprietary driver, video-hybrid-intel-nouveau-bumblebee, and solved it by running both Steam and Stellaris with primusrun, just add primusrun to the command line of Steam's and Stellaris' respective launcher.

e.g.: primusrun env STEAM_RUNTIME=0 /usr/bin/steam %U

I have that problem too. I use Ubuntu 16.04, with an AMD Radeon 6870 for which I use the latest free/libre drivers from here. (It also happened with the vanilla free/libre drivers.)

Steam discussion is occurring here, along with a possible(?) fix for linux users: https://steamcommunity.com/app/281990/discussions/0/357285562492711302/
According to MvdS the borders are ugly compared to the normal ones, but they sure are a lot better than nothing. Thanks for the tip.

edit: Being new to Stellaris is have mistaken the nice yellow around be for my borders... so it seams the workaround currently doesn't work for me.

The only thing method that I've discovered so far is that setting the "Graphics Quality" to low enables me to see the borders. They aren't pretty, but the are at least visible. Here a screenshot:

borders-with-low-graphics-quality.png

Last edited: