• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
may I?

from 395 to 439,many kingdoms in China fell,for these kingdoms,I think we'd better set their inflation to 20%(Yan,Liang,Qin).
for the eastern Jin,40% is properly, they owen lots of provinces;their nobles are corrupt and luxury;in the war against north kingdoms,they seldom win the battle
for northern Wei,0% ,they are rising
for other tribal confederacy,0%

it is a time of barbarians

Last edited:
oh,another betatester,nice to meet you!:rofl:

Hehe, nice to meet you too. :D

how much inflation do you want to set at the start of the game for each country?

Well I don't have that much knowledge about economy at that time, but I think inflation should be around 15-20% in Europe.
Especially because of the disorder and the political divisions.

Indeed

from 395 to 439,many kingdoms in China fell,for these kingdoms,I think we'd better set their inflation to 20%(Yan,Liang,Qin).
for the eastern Jin,40% is properly, they owen lots of provinces;their nobles are corrupt and luxury;in the war against north kingdoms,they seldom win the battle
for northern Wei,0% ,they are rising
for other tribal confederacy,0%

it is a time of barbarians

Ok. :)
For the south western Asia kingdoms? Japan countries?

(...)

Well I don't have that much knowledge about economy at that time, but I think inflation should be around 15-20% in Europe.
Especially because of the disorder and the political divisions.

Ok. Which countries would you benefit?

What about mayors? Do we include them in the game or not? And when? In which way? Do we include them only by event in the "most civilized" countries?

the kingdoms in south western Asia?I think you mean Xinjiang and tibet.

I think 0% is fine for them.

through I donot know how many provinces these city-states will own after SGL was finished, their are weak and small compare with kingdoms like eastern Jin.The purpose we set a high inflation for some kingdoms is for weaken them(as they are large but weak) in my opinion(is it?).

In Japan,there were two kingdoms,they do nothing from 395 to 769AD,0% is ok.

in Indochina,two Hinduism kingdoms:Funan and Chenla,they do nothing from 395 to 700AD,after 700AD,Bhavavarman,the king of Chenla and the prince of Funan,start a royal succession war againest his brother, the king of Funan,and later annex Funan.His brother escape to Indonesian and set up the kingdom named Sailendra.
for them,0% is ok.

Last edited:
Ok. Which countries would you benefit?

You mean with a lot of inflation?
I would say the Franks, Burgundian, the Western Roman Empire, maybe the Wizigoths also (although their currency was a strong one I think).

What about mayors? Do we include them in the game or not? And when? In which way? Do we include them only by event in the "most civilized" countries?

I think we should include them in the game, but only as a high level tech.
Only the most developed countries would have some of them in 395 (the buidlings not the tech).

In Europe, at least, inflation should probably apply to all countries using coins. In the Roman Empires, inflation is quite high by this point, especially in the West (40%?). We could include events for the ERE when currency reforms were instituted to help their economy, giving them deflation.

And for the Barbarian kingdoms, like visigoths, franks, burgundians, vandals (?), they could start with some inflation, but get events to lower it over time, as their economies get more stable, and they move away from using the useless Roman coins.

I think mayors should represent strong local government in cities. I agree that they should come at a high tech level. In vanilla it's infra 6 already though, right?

I think we will need to work some of this out in betatesting as well, to see how the AI deals with inflation.

the kingdoms in south western Asia?I think you mean Xinjiang and tibet.

Sorry! I would to write south eastern Asia

I think 0% is fine for them.

Ok

through I donot know how many provinces these city-states will own after SGL was finished, their are weak and small compare with kingdoms like eastern Jin.The purpose we set a high inflation for some kingdoms is for weaken them(as they are large but weak) in my opinion(is it?).

Not a problem: just set low taxes, not inflation ;)

In Japan,there were two kingdoms,they do nothing from 395 to 769AD,0% is ok.

in Indochina,two Hinduism kingdoms:Funan and Chenla,they do nothing from 395 to 700AD,after 700AD,Bhavavarman,the king of Chenla and the prince of Funan,start a royal succession war againest his brother, the king of Funan,and later annex Funan.His brother escape to Indonesian and set up the kingdom named Sailendra.
for them,0% is ok.

Perfect.
I wuold like to create tribal countries, instead of neutral province, that can be colonized. In that epoch none can be colonized, right?

You mean with a lot of inflation?
I would say the Franks, Burgundian, the Western Roman Empire, maybe the Wizigoths also (although their currency was a strong one I think).

Ok

I think we should include them in the game, but only as a high level tech.
Only the most developed countries would have some of them in 395 (the buidlings not the tech).

Ok, and do we include "mayors" (maybe with another name) by event or by tech level?

In Europe, at least, inflation should probably apply to all countries using coins. In the Roman Empires, inflation is quite high by this point, especially in the West (40%?). We could include events for the ERE when currency reforms were instituted to help their economy, giving them deflation.

So, after Theodosios the Great death both empires are with 40%, and then for the eastern one happens currency reforms?

And for the Barbarian kingdoms, like visigoths, franks, burgundians, vandals (?), they could start with some inflation, but get events to lower it over time, as their economies get more stable, and they move away from using the useless Roman coins.

When we end these kind of events? when these barbarian countries are where historically were?

I think mayors should represent strong local government in cities. I agree that they should come at a high tech level. In vanilla it's infra 6 already though, right?

Right, so which countries start more infra level?

I think we will need to work some of this out in betatesting as well, to see how the AI deals with inflation.

Indeed, and there will be to see it round about some province the Permanent Terra Incognita. These provinces work like Observer in MyMAP, but without Crash To Desktop

Perfect.
I wuold like to create tribal countries, instead of neutral province, that can be colonized. In that epoch none can be colonized, right?

so it is.
but what about tibet,the first kingdom named Shannan was founded in 6th century.so will the tibet area be neutral provinces when the game starts?

Last edited:
By tech level, I would say.

Ok.

so it is.
but what about tibet,the first kingdom named Shannan was founded in 6th century.so will the tibet area be neutral provinces when the game starts?

No, I would like a country named Proto - Tibet, or like so
Neutral provinces aren't useful for the game: there weren't colonization in that era

I agree. We could split Tibet up into many small countries, to represent city-states, tribes, etc., and have events to unify them into Shannan.

Otherwise Tibet area would be colonised by China or Indian nations, which doesn't seem very realistic to me.

ok,I will do some marks on the list of tibet.

Xiangxiong and Tibetan empire were the kingdoms in 7th century

proto-Sino-Tibetan seens a little long.......Han people called them Fa-qiang at that time,and Tibetan call themselves "Bod-pa"

and after more study, Shannan is called Lhoka in "Standard Tibetan",the first Gampo of Tibetan empire come from this kingdom

Last edited:
I agree. We could split Tibet up into many small countries, to represent city-states, tribes, etc., and have events to unify them into Shannan.

Otherwise Tibet area would be colonised by China or Indian nations, which doesn't seem very realistic to me.

ok,I will do some marks on the list of tibet.

Xiangxiong and Tibetan empire were the kingdoms in 7th century

proto-Sino-Tibetan seens a little long.......Han people called them Fa-qiang at that time,and Tibetan call themselves "Bod-pa"

and after more study, Shannan is called Lhoka in "Standard Tibetan",the first Gampo of Tibetan empire come from this kingdom

Guys, now I'm excited about this idea, I would like to finish the map ASAP...
Today I will post another SGL image, including all coasts to the west of Indochina

I think in BoPMOD can't be neutral provinces

But which names give to "neutral people" (or "neutral country", the country where can be neutral province but we don't want for the reason we have wrote) in other places? I remember there is whole Africa to the north of Equator...

I think both part of Roman Empire can't own saharan and subsaharan lands, because that places weren't discovered, but arabs own some places in saharan lands... the same point for Arabic penisula earlier than VII century
we can simulate berber raids if berber know WRE provinces, but WRE don't know berber provinces, I'm right?
A WRE player can end the war because WRE discover immediatly (as always when you are in war with a unknown country) the berber capital city.

I think your solution for Berber attacks on Romans is good. I believe you are right that it will work that way, so Romans will only discover Berbers after they are attacked.

If Sahara desert has low supply limit, then that will stop people from conquering all of Africa. And we can limit the numbers of conquistadors and explorers too. But I think there should be the ability to trade, for example with Timbuktu - Africa was a good supply of Slaves and Gold for Roman Empire.

By giving countries maximum decentralization and other dp slider settings, we can simulate weak tribal governments. Perhaps also put them in the lowest tech group, just like with the American Indians in vanilla FtG.

I think your solution for Berber attacks on Romans is good. I believe you are right that it will work that way, so Romans will only discover Berbers after they are attacked.

Not precisely. Romans discover capital city, not near province

If Sahara desert has low supply limit, then that will stop people from conquering all of Africa. And we can limit the numbers of conquistadors and explorers too.

I think we give them only by static events

But I think there should be the ability to trade, for example with Timbuktu - Africa was a good supply of Slaves and Gold for Roman Empire.

W and E Roman empire discover it earlier than 395, so it might be in the scenario

By giving countries maximum decentralization and other dp slider settings, we can simulate weak tribal governments.

Indeed

Perhaps also put them in the lowest tech group, just like with the American Indians in vanilla FtG.

I remember in FTG these tech group are unlimited... we can do a own tech group for these people

I have the monarchs for Western Roman Empire ready - what is the best format to deliver them? Post them here, or add an attachment?

Western Roman leaders are 3/4 done, and events maybe 1/3 done. Those will be ready by March 1st at the latest, hopefully sooner.

I have a question:

Will it follow the historical path, that the Western part of the empire will slowly desintegrate by barbarian attacks, or can you turn the tide with alternative events, and eventually even unite both parts ?

Maybe one event could be that Stilicho isn't murdered because of his meddling into the affairs of the Western Roman Emperor Honorius(Honorius even thought he was after the throne). Some historians even say that if Stilicho stayed alive the Western part of the Empire would've have remained longer. Maybe, but this is really alternative history, Stilicho could have staged an coup d'etat because of Honorius incompetence. Maybe even unify the empire, because he also meddled into the affairs of the Eastern Roman Emperor Arcadius, but there was another magister militum in the East who also influenced Arcadius(cant remember his name, though), which could be translated into some interesting events, maybe even culminating into an civil war between the two sides ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I have a question:

Will it follow the historical path, that the Western part of the empire will slowly desintegrate by barbarian attacks, or can you turn the tide with alternative events, and eventually even unite both parts ?

Maybe one event could be that Stilicho isn't murdered because of his meddling into the affairs of the Western Roman Emperor Honorius(Honorius even thought he was after the throne). Some historians even say that if Stilicho stayed alive the Western part of the Empire would've have remained longer. Maybe, but this is really alternative history, Stilicho could have staged an coup d'etat because of Honorius incompetence. Maybe even unify the empire, because he also meddled into the affairs of the Eastern Roman Emperor Arcadius, but there was another magister militum in the East who also influenced Arcadius(cant remember his name, though), which could be translated into some interesting events, maybe even culminating into an civil war between the two sides ?

Thanks in advance.

I have been working on some events along those lines. :) At the moment, there is the option not to murder Stilicho, and for Honorius to be replaced by Stilicho's son Eucherius (Stilicho probably would not have become emperor himself, being half-barbarian, and one of the reason's for Stilicho's execution was that he was accused of wanting to place Eucherius on the Eastern throne after the death of Arcardius). There are other alternative paths as well, later on, although I think a reuinfication of the Empire, especially from the West, would be very unlikely. More plausible is the survival of the Western Empire as a puppet of the East. I might think up some fantasy events for a resurgent West, but since that would mess up a lot of later history, I think it should be a secondary consideration.

Rufinius was the Magister Militum in the East.

I have the monarchs for Western Roman Empire ready - what is the best format to deliver them? Post them here, or add an attachment?

I don't know in which format you have done it. If you do it in a txt document you can just post them in this topic using
Code:
 tags, to avoid too long posts. If you do it in a excel document maybe is easier add an attachment

[quote="AllmyJames, post: 10721135"]Western Roman leaders are 3/4 done, and events maybe 1/3 done.  Those will be ready by March 1st at the latest, hopefully sooner.[/QUOTE]

Excellent.

[quote="NickFeyR, post: 10721483"]I have a question:

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

IMHO we can write alternative historical events, but not fantasy events. If this event is the first one, likely will be added.
AI must choose 90% of times historical choice, the human players can change history also with historical events
If there is an alternative historical situation, AI must choose the most coherent with this history change
In particular I think AllmyJames previous post best represents those conditions

Western Roman Emperors

Here, as promised, is the list of monarchs for the Western Roman Empire:

(the file is attached in .txt format; the forum won't allow attachments in excel format)

Most of the Emperors are below-average, as you might expect for this period.

Code:
Western Roman Emperors 395 – 762

Note – the main series contains the historic emperors from 395 to 480.  The historic path in-game will then lead the Empire to be annexed by Odoacer’s ‘Italy’.  But if the player is able to survive this onslaught, there are alternative monarchs until 762, to represent the Praetorian Prefects of Italy and Exarchs of Ravenna.  These will only be activated if the WRE survives, and even then it will be a vassal of the Eastern Empire.  
If the Western Empire is dissolved in 480, the Eastern Empire should have the option, upon recapturing Rome, to either rule it from Constantinople (historic) or re-establish the Western Empire as a vassal state (ahistoric).

Format:
Name,
Full Name 
Start Date, 
End Date,
Military, Diplomatic, Administrative, 
Callable, 
Comment

Main Series (395 – 480)

Honorius
Flavius Honorius
17th January 395
15th August 423
2, 3, 3
Younger son of Theodosius  I, aged 10 at succession.  Controled by a series of regents and generals.

Stillicho (Honorius)
Flavius Sitlicho, 
18th January 395, 
22nd August 408
6, 5, 5, 

Vandal general.  Magister Militum and Father-in-law of Honorius.  Executed by the Empeor in 408.  Followed by Honorius alone.

Priscus Atallus 
Priscus Attalus, 
1st January 409,
22nd August 423,
3, 3, 4,
Callable: Yes
Usurper, supported by Alaric the Goth.  Ahistorical deposition of Honorius possible via event.

Constantius (Honorius)
Flavius Constantius,  
1st January?  411, 
8th February 421, 
5, 4, 4,
Replaced Stilicho as Magister Militum.  Power behind the throne.  Elevated to Co-Emperor.

Honorius & Constantius III, 
8th February 421, 
2nd September 421, 
5, 5, 4, 
Co-emperors in the West.  Constantius married Honorius' sister, then died naturally in 422.  Followed by Honorius alone.

Joannes
Ioannes
9th Feburary 421, 
22nd October 425,
 2, 3, 2, , 
Usurper after death of Honorius, opposed by the East.  Deposed by armies of Valentinian.

Valentinian III, 
Flavius Placidius Valentinianus,
 23rd October 425, 
16th March 455,
 2, 3, 2, 
Son of Constantius III, nominated by Theodosius II in the east, installed by military force.

Galia Placidia (Valentinian III)
24th October 425, 
5th September 435, 
2, 4, 3, ,
 Sister of Honorius, mother of Valentinian.  Surpassed as regent by Aetius.

Aetius (Valentinian III), 
Flavius Aetius,
 6th September 435,
 21st September 454, 
6, 4, 3, 
Magister Militum, Patrician.  Effective regent for Valentinian, murdered by the Emperor in 454.  Followed by sole rule of Valentinian III.

Petronius Maximus
 Flavius Anicius Petronius Maximus,
 17th March 455
22nd April 455
 2, 2, 5, , Patrician.  Married Valentinian's widdow, never recognised by the East.  Killed by the mob in Rome.

Leo I (Pope), 
 22nd April 455,
 9th July 455, 2, 6, 3, 
 Pope.  In effective control of Rome during its sack by the Vandals.

Avitus
Eparchius Avitus
9th July 455
 17th October 456
 3, 4, 3
Magister Militum, supported by Theodoric II, King of the Visigoths.  Barely recognised by the East.  Killed by Magister Militum Ricimer and Majorian.

Ricimer (Magister Militum), 
18th October 456 , 
1st? April 457
6, 3, 3, 
Germanic Magister Militum, the power behind the throne for successive emperors.

Majorian, 
Flavius Iulius Valerius Maiorianus, 
1st? April 457, 
2nd  August 461,
 5, 2, 2, , 
Comes Domesticorum, seen as a usurper by the East.  Abdicated, and then died 5 days later.

3rd August 461, 
18th November 461,
 4, 4, 3, 
Interregnum between death of Majorian and appointment of Severus.

Ricimer (Libius Severus), 
Libius Severus Serpentius, 
19th November 461, 
15th August 465, 4, 2, 2,
Senator, puppet of Ricimer.  Not officially recognised by the East.  Died naturally

16th August 465, 
11th April 467,
 5, 3, 3, , 
Interregnum between death of Severus and appointment of Anthemius, the first nominee of the East since Valentinian.

Anthemius,
 Procopius Anthemius, 
12th April 467, 
11th July 472, 
3, 4, 3, 
Magister Militum.  
Candidate of Eastern Emperor Leo.  Installed by force.  Rival to Ricimer, captured and killed by Ricimer.

Gaiseric (Olybius),
Anicius Olybrius
 3rd August 461,
22nd October 472,
4, 2, 3, 
Callable
King of the Vandals.  Olybrius was originally the candidate of Gaiseric agter the death of Majoran.  Can be imposed by event.

Ricimer (Olybrius)
Anicius Olybrius
12th July 472
9th August 472
4, 3, 3,
Roman Aristocrat.  Supported first by Gesiric the Vandal, then Ricimer.  Puppet of Ricimer and then Gundobad.  Opposed by Leo I. Died of Dropsy.

Gundobad (Olybrius)
10th August 472,
22nd October 472
4, 3, 3,
Magister Militum, nephew of Ricimer.  MM after Ricimer's death.

Gundobad (Magister Militum)
23rd October 472, 
2nd March 473,
5, 3, 3,
Nephew of Ricimer, later King of the Burgundians.  Interregnum following death of Olybrius.

Gundobad (Glycerius)
3rd March 473, 
1st? June 474,
 2, 2, 2,
Comes Domesticorum, puppet of Gundobad, opposed by Leo I.  Deposed bloodlessly by Julius Nepos.

Julius Nepos,
1st? June 474,
28th August 475, 
2, 3, 2,
Governor of Dalmatia, nephew of Leo I.  Gained the throne via force of arms.  Forced to flee to Dalmatia by Orestes' coup.  Historically deposed 28th August 475.  Emperor in Dalmatia until 480.

Orestes (Magister Militum)
Flavius Orestes
29th August 475
30th October 475
3, 2, 2, 
Magister Militum for Nepos.  Defeated by Odoacer.

Orestes (Romulus Augustulus), 
31st October 475,
4th September 476,
2, 1, 1, , 
Son of Orestes.  Opposed by the East.  Deposed by Odoacer.

Odoacer (Patricus),
5th September 476, 
5, 4, 4, 
Callable
Forced Romulus Augustulus to Abidcate.  Ruled as Patrician of Italy, paying lip service to Zeno in the East.  Will be monarch briefly if Zeno agrees to his demands that the Western Empire be abolished, before WRE becomes Italia.  Historical option is for WRE to grant independence to Italia, relocate capital to Dalmatia, with Nepos as Emperor.

Julius Nepos 
5th September 476, 
June 22nd 480
2, 3, 2
Emperor in Dalmatia only until invasion by Odoacer, murdered by his own soldiers.  Historically Dalmatia is annexed by Odoacer.  Ahistoric option below for continuation of Western Empire.

Stilicho Series (if Stilicho is not executed)

Eucherius ,
Flavius Eucherius
3rd February 411, 
22nd October 425, 
7, 4, 4,
Callable
Son of Stilicho.  Appointed to the throne by Stilicho after the assassination of Honorius.  Followed by Valentinian III.

Constantius III
Flavius Constantius
3rd February 411
8th February 421
6, 4, 4,
Callable
Historically co-emperor with Honorius in the West.  Will be the Eastern candidate should Honorius die early; i.e. in opposition to Eucherius.  

Joannes
 9th February 421
22nd October 425
2, 3, 2, 
Callable
Usurper.  Ahistoric early reign if Honorius is deposed by Stilicho and Eucherius deposed by Constantius.  Followed by Valentinian III.

Constantine III Series (if Constantine deposes Honorius)

Constantine III 
Flavius Claudius Constantinus, 
1st January 407,
1st March 437
6, 3, 3,
Callable
Usurper in Britain - this allows him the possibility of prevailing against Honorius and taking the Empire for himself.  Age unknown.  

Constans II 
Flavius Claudius Constans
2nd March 437
16th March 455
4, 3, 3,
Callable
Son of Constantine III.  Historically executed with his father.  To be succeeded by Petronius Maximus if Western Emperor.

Continuation of the Empire in Dalmatia (if Odoacer doesn't depose Nepos)

Ovida 
June 23rd 480
9th December 495
3, 2, 2,
General.  Suceeded Julius Nepos in Dalmatia.  Captured and executed by Odoacer in December 480.

Flavius Paulus 
10th December 495
14th April 505
3, 4, 3
Brother of the Emperor Anasasius.  Puppet of the East.  Historically, Roman consul in 496.

Flavius Probus
15th April 505
4th September 517
3, 4, 4,
Nephew of the Emepror Anastasius.  Historically Roman Consul in 502.

Justinian
6th September 518
1st August 527
7, 6, 8,
Nephew of the Emepror Justin.  Historically, co-emperor in 526.

Vettius Agorius,
Vettius Agorius Basilius Mavortius, 
2nd August 527
29th April 535, 
3, 3, 4,
Sole Consul for 527.  Puppet of the East.  Depending on event choices, will be replaced by Justinian or Belisarius.

Reconquest of Italy (if ERE chooses to appoint seperate Emperors – ahistoric)

Belisarius 
30th April 535, 
21st November 565,
8, 3, 4,
Callable
Offered the title of Emperor of the West by the Ostrogoths, May 540.  Led Justinian's invasion of Italy in 535; replaced in this role by Narses by 552.  Died within weeks of Justinian.  Eastern Empire will have the choice to approve the Ostrogoths’ offer, and allow Belisarius to be made ‘Emperor of the West’, (in which case he is followed, on his death, by Justin II) or re-establish the Praetorian Prefecture of Italy, (in which case, he is replaced by Athanasius).

Athanasius,
4, 3, 4, 
Callable
Praetorian Prefect of Italy.

Maximinus, 
4, 3, 3,
Callable
Praetorian Prefect of Italy for c.542, until expelled by Ostrogoths.

Narses, 
6, 4, 6,
Callable
Justinian's Eunuch.  Led the Invasion of Italy in 552.  Historically died in 572.  To be followed by Badaurius.

Reconquest of Italy (if ERE choses to have one Emperor for both parts - 'historic' choice)

Justinian I, 
30th April 535,
14th November 565,
7, 8, 8,
Recaptured Rome and Ravenna briefly, but ruled from the East.  

Justin II 
15th November 565, 
April 27th 568, 
4, 5, 4, 
Lombard invasion in 568 re-established the Kingdom of Italy, and began gradual expulsion of Byzantines from Italy.

Baduarius 
28th April 568
11th May 579, 
5, 4, 4, 
Son-in-law of Justin II.  Led an expedition to reconquer Italy from the Lombards, but failed.

Tiberius II Constantine, 
12th May 579, 
August 14th, 582,
 5, 5, 3,
Eastern Emperor

Maurice, 
15th August 582,
December 31st? 583,
6, 4, 5,
Able military commander and administrator.  Founded the exarchates of Ravenna and Africa.  Planned, in his will, to appoint his second son to the Western Empire, but was murdered with his children in 602.

Exarchate of Ravenna (exact dates uncertain)

Decius, 
3, 4, 3,
First Exarch of Ravenna

Smaragdus, 
3, 2, 1,
Known for violence against the bishops in Italy.  Deposed by Phocas, the Eastern Emperor.  Some minor military succeses.

Romanus, 
4, 2, 2,
Militarily successful versus the Lombards.  Conflict with the Pope.  Died in office.

Callinicus,
2, 4, 3
Made peace with the Lombards, but died in battle against them.

Smaragdus (2nd reign), 
1, 2, 1,
Lost much of Northern Italy to the Lombards.  Removed from office after the death of Phocas.

John I Lemigius,
1, 3, 2,
Made peace with the Lombards, assasinated.

Eleutherius, 
3, 2, 2, 
Recovered Naples, proclaimed himself Emperor, but was murdered and his head sent to Heraclius.

Isaac, 
2, 2, 2,
Lost more of Italy to the Lombards, sacked Rome.  Died in Battle vs. Lombards.

Theodore I Calliopas 
3, 2, 3,
Not much known of his first reign.  Replaced by Plato.

Plato,
649, 2, 3, 2,
Opposed Pope Theodore II, and convinced the Byzantine Patriarch to Break with Rome.

Olympius,
2, 2, 2, 
Ordered to arrest Pope Martin I.  Failed and instead declared himself Emperor.  Died in Sicily from disease.

Theodore I Calliopas (2nd reign), 
4, 3, 3, 
Arrested Martin I, sent him to Naxos.  Died some time before 666, succeeded by Gregory

Gregory,
3, 2, 2,
Assisted Constans II in his invasion of Italy.  Died in office.

Theodore II, 
3, 3, 3,
Relatively unknown, a pious man.

John II Platinus,
 2, 2, 3
Interfered in Papal politics, his authority undermined by a conflict with Justinian II.

Theophylactus
1, 2, 2
Alienated the citizens of both Rome and Ravenna, Ravenna sacked by Justinian II under his leadership

John III Rizocopo,
1, 1, 1,
Murdered by the mob in Ravenna; the beginning of the end for the exarchate.

Entichius,
3, 2, 2
Put down a rebellion led by Giorgius

Scholasticus
2, 3, 2
Helped to heal the rift between Constantinople and Rome

Paul
2, 1, 2,
Attempted to enforce Emperor Leo III's decree of iconoclasm.

Eutychius
2, 2, 3
Tried to assassinate Pope Gregory II, bribe the Lombards, but killed in battle vs Lombards.  Last exarch, annexed by Lombards in 752.  Might as well continue as last ‘Emperor’ until the end of the game.

Attachments

• Western Roman Monarchs.txt
    12,6 KB · Views: 97