Bonus to allowed state cores for merchant republics

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ameron

Major
47 Badges
Sep 3, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
I get the reasoning behind the 20 full cores limit on merchant republic, as a way to encourage handpicking of important lands over mindless blobbing.
I suggest to rework the "trade post" feature for Merchant Republis, allowing the player to use it as a tool for (limited) expansion:
  1. Provinces marked as trade posts do not count against the 20 full cores limit. This would allow a MR to hold as full cores 20 provinces + 1 in each trade node except their home node.
  2. Trade post provinces should get some other buff, like the important centers of trade do; for example, a development discount, an improved naval forcelimit, an extra building slot, more goods produced.
  3. As a downside, the cost for the trade post could be raised to match the cost for the territory core (5 ADM per development point). Trade post in a 10 development province would still cost 50 ADM, while in a 20 development province it would cost 100 ADM, for example. ADM cost should get any discount the player has for developing provinces (so, for example, 20% discount with Economic finisher).

Reactions:
Upvote 0
I really do love this. I never played a merchant republic in a while, but it would make a lot of sense that they should get access to having more provinces according to how many nodes/trade posts they have. It would kind of relate to how stable your trade income is with your merchant republic. You are able to convince your trade league that the trade is stable and they would have a more of a reason to say in the league. I would really love this added into game because it would allow you to expand a bit more as a merchant republic but not make it where you really are blobbing out of control.