• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I bet you'll take Sieradz from Poland. And lotsa money. But you can afford it, ain'tcha, while pope'll help ya burn down infamy.
This update is also the very first time I see someone get Full Blockades, and, man, they look scary :eek:

Your last two updates contained 23 and 22 pictures respectively, while the maximum per post is 20. Make sure you count them correctly before you post your update!

Ineresting account of war. And very informative at that. It looked more like some kind of dance to me than a chess game. I learned a lot about how to deal with a seemingly mighter opponent and his more numerous troops (without resorting to espionage, wooden wall of navy, stealing provs from rebels and other opportunistic exploits I use when waging a war :))
Now with Russia entering the stage Pol-Lith is officially done for; hopefully Russia won't turn against you in the long run.
Which NI are you planning to take?

JacktheJumper : Sieradz and something more. In MMP2 the 'base' BB cost for a noncore province is only 1-2.

Qorten : Got it. I will pay more attention to this from now on.

gabor : The next NI will probably be PoA.

To everyone reading this: As I have an exam coming up, I won't be able to update before next week.

telesien : From that point of view 'Divine Supremacy' somehow makes sense. But the ingame effects given by that NI (primarily better conversion chance of non-Catholics to Catholicism) have little relation to that.

That was supposed to be the explanation of why Bohemia has Ecumenism from the start and that is exactly what it is ;)

gabor : The next NI will probably be PoA.
You're playing MMP? Because in MMU it seems so much weaker than it used to be.
To everyone reading this: As I have an exam coming up, I won't be able to update before next week.
I hope you passed your exam. The week surely passed some time ago... an update? :)

I am playing MMP2. I didn't know PoA is weak in MMU, but in MMP2 I am convinced it is great and it can really give you an edge.

gabor said:
I hope you passed your exam. The week surely passed some time ago... an update? :)
I passed that exam and planned on updating much sooner, but I got a bit stuck trying to make sense of the AI and the game in general and how to put it all into a consistent narrative.. read a book on Bohemian history, which was really interesting, got a little sidetracked and read another one on the Hussites, which was even more interesting. But that didn't really help with the AAR at all, so I got a bit demotivated.

Actually, just yesterday I revisited this and decided to abandon that approach and continue, suitably enough, in a gameplay report style. That should be easy enough and allow for more frequent updates. So yes, expect something in a few days or so.

9. Second Great Expansion of the Realm

In March 1490, king Ladislav passes away due to a sudden illness. Having ruled for 24 glorious years, he has relentlessly lead the country through internal struggle and several demanding wars. Blending the visions of Podebrad, who had died too early, with his own, he took the country on a road which has made it powerful to a degree it has not been since the reign of Karel IV. This is doubly true since he managed to secure the support of the estates and establish his son as heir to the throne.

Apart from becoming king of Bohemia, Ferdinand also changes from a mere governor to the legitimate duke of Modena. Luckily, the other main claimant to the latter title had died recently, simplifying the situation.

9-1.jpg

Hm, I did not know the 'The Union has been broken' event from earlier doesn't necessarily result in a breakoff. Learned something new.

During his last days, knowing he would not see the end of the Polish war in his life, Ladislav included, addressed to his successor, instructions concerning the remainder of the war and the peace negotiations in his will. Ferdinand follows these dutifully, leaving most of the strategic and other specific military decisions to the capable generals now at his disposal. Not perceiving himself as a great war leader, he seldom appears before the soldiers in person and instead focuses on establishing himself in Bohemia.

It takes only a few months, until June, for him to get a grip on the country's administration and even implement some ideas to improve the efficiency of the various bureaucratic organs.

9-2.jpg

Concerning Bohemia's claims to Leipzig, it is decided to try not to stir up further animosity by keeping the 'evidence' presented in additional to the initial forgery modest.

9-3.jpg

While the war is still in progress, Ferdinand begins to take steps to curb the power of the Catholic church in Bohemia. The monarchs of several other countries in and around the empire, among them also the Habsburg king of Hungary, have already introduced laws granting them the right to appoint bishops, to override any order given by the pope concerning their respective country's church and to direct part or all of the ecclesiastical revenues to the state. While the pope condemns these upheavals, this condemnation amounts to little because of his exceedingly weak position and the corrupt and disorganized state of the church. Not a single excommunication was issued. Taking into account Bohemia's long-standing religious traditions, Ferdinand considers the risk of serious internal turmoil in response to such changes to be minimal as well. The opportunity seems to good to pass up and prospect of tapping into the finances of the church, to bring the money to better uses than the pope would ever do, is too tempting. Thus, the restructuring of the church of Bohemia begins.

9-4.jpg

In December, news arrive that all of the lands belonging to the Polish crown, except for Podolia, are now under Bohemian occupation. This province has already been captured by Russian armies coming from Moldavia. The situation is so that only a total occupation of the Polish lands will enable enforcing the desired peace demands. Fortunately, the Russians don't prolong their campaign and are content with claiming two of their cores. (Vyazma and Bryansk)

9-5.jpg

Russian involvement and gains

Again, Russia offers an alliance, and again I refuse for fear of being dragged into needless wars. Their help against Poland or Lithuania won't be needed for a long time, if at all, anyway.

In March 1491, all of Poland is finally occupied, granting a warscore of 100%. However, the day of victory is clouded somewhat by the death of one of the generals.

9-6.jpg

My war exhaustion is at 6.0, stability at +2, badboy 5.9

Naturally, I keep all the Shtetls in Poland. Also, the tax rate in the newly conquered provinces is adjusted to Bohemia's very high one.

9-7.jpg

On the diplomatic front, royal marriages with Russia and Austria are celebrated. I like royal marriages; they are a great way to secure one's borders (since AI, as the human player would, seldom attacks a country it has a royal marriage with - even if the relations have since deteriorated). The drawback of course is the possibility to be drawn into a war of succession or become lesser partner in a PU, but that is a (small) risk I am willing to take.

I don't yet have a border with Russia, but when the time comes, I still want to have cordial relations with them - a war against Russia surely wouldn't be much fun, although it might become inevitable at some point in the future.

In the case of Austria deterioration comes faster than expected as they break our alliance in June. Maybe they are alerted by Bohemia's conquests, but shouldn't they be glad their ally got a power-up?

Unintimidated, I (or rather Ferdinand with his nice 8 DIP) begin to court Bavaria instead, succeeding to establish a royal marriage and finally an alliance.

In September, government technology 12 is reached, which comes with a new NI slot.

As hinted at earlier, my choice is Patron of the Arts with its nice effect on prestige.

9-8.jpg

use art to conquer Europe?

One of the 'applications' of prestige in MMP2 is the hiring fair mechanism, as it requires +25 prestige to use at all and usually consumes quite a lot while running. Since I have only one good advisor remaining (a four star Master of Mint who has been working for 55 years), a government focused fair is started once my prestige is just above +25 in January 1492. The cost for this is 75 ducats, by the way.

January is also when the king of Castille finally makes a decree to completely expel the Jews from the country. Because of the pogrom in Prague in the early 60s I am not sure if Bohemia is already eligible to receive Jews again, but of course that would be nice. Castille, by the way, also claims the title of 'defender of the faith'.

Before that, in November, there were some bad news: The attempt to forge a core on Leipzig failed. It is not very surprising, because a high amount of BB will significantly increase the chance of that happening, but still a bit disappointing. After so much land was claimed for the Bohemian crown recently, the other European princes quite understandably want to hear nothing more of further purported claims.

In May, I get lucky and receive a 4 star diplomat via the hiring fair. Before that, a spymaster, a high-judge, a fortification expert, another spymaster, a collector, an inquisitor and a statesman had to be turned down, altogether resulting in a loss of about 12 prestige. (the advisors are presented one at a time and turning down an advisor gives a prestige hit equal to the number of stars of that advisor; a well-balanced and exciting feature).

9-9.jpg

Left: The badboy rating is melting quickly now. Right: Current effects on prestige will result in relatively strong increase in the next time. The 'Whisper of Weakness' effect is from the hiring fair and will be active for 5 years.

In April and August, the support of another two cardinals is secured. There are now 4 cardinals sponsored by Bohemia.

Bavaria meanwhile experiences some bad luck. The duke of Bavaria, who had aspired to become emperor of the Romans some day, suddenly dies, leaving only a child as heir. Since the duke had many supporters among the electors, there is some confusion about who to support against Habsburg for a while.

9-10.jpg

If the emperor was to die now, the crown would stay with the Habsburgs. This situation is likely to continue until a strong rival will appear again. The Burgundian count of the Palatinate is a special case.

Sadly, my old master of mint dies in December. As a temporary replacement, a one-star banker is hired. As if to make up for this, the game presents me with a 'Gift to the State' event a few days later.

9-11.jpg

A remarkable occurrence is the war of Riga against the Livonian Order and their Polish masters, started by the former. After capturing the city of Mitau, the archbishop was able to negotiate a peace treaty which will end Poland's suzerainty over Livonia.

In 1493, two of my cardinals die and attempts to win over some of the others fail (although chances of success are fairly good, between 25% and 30%). Bohemia still controls more cardinals than the other nations, but only barely.

Early 1494 sees the enthronement of a new king of Poland and Lithuania, Henryk II. It is good news that Lithuania didn't get inherited by Poland yet, as getting 100% warscore against Poland in its current state would be much easier in a possible future war.

Later that year, I finally lose my grip on the curia to Burgundy; not that it was ever strong. Only one cardinal remains loyal to me.

Also, an alliance offer from Naples arrives. It seems like a sensible suggestion, but I think they just want to attack Urbino, so no.

Then this interesting event happens:

9-121.jpg

It might be out of character at this point and Jan Hus would probably roll over in his grave, but I do take the money.

Another of my generals and the last remaining cardinal both die in February 1495. Unfortunately, the pope dies in the same month and there is little hope the next one will look favourably on Bohemia. Sure enough, Burgundy's candidate gets elected a few months later, although I manage to wrest at least one cardinal off Castille.

Denmark inherits Norway; interesting, but of little immediate consequences.

Having invested in stability for a few years now, level +3 is reached in November. Also, war exhaustion has faded. Badboy has been reduced to 2.21 and my reputation is considered 'respectable' again.

Here is an overview of technology and the economy:

9-13.jpg

I should have placed a few merchants in Danzig by now (since my reputation no longer results in very low compete chances), but forgot about it.

Most of the yearly income was spent on province improvements (chartered markets) and cardinals.

It may be wise to enlarge the army now that Bohemia's forcelimit (which is 51) and manpower (which is 32k) could easily support it. Even now, the country's military prowess is obviously considerable, especially if you factor in Silesia, Modena and Mantua, and in a conflict against Poland, the TO, one of the Italian states etc. there would be little to no problems. However, a war against Habsburg, Russia or Burgundy plus allies still would require a larger army to win comfortably. As would a war to dissolve the HRE. On the other hand, none of these situations are likely to occur very soon.

--

International and Minor Notes

Portugal has started the event sequence to discover Brazil and England has taken the 'Middle Point' one. Castille seems to be merrily colonizing already and have recently started going for Mexico.

Lübeck seems to be the first country to build a manufactory, a Naval Equipment manufactory.

Georgia won a war against Shirvan, gaining the province Shirvan.

I got the 'Tentative Acquiescence' event in all newly conquered provinces except for Sieradz, in which case Poland was more successful in asserting their position.

9-14.jpg

Each newly conquered province in MM either gets the event on the left or an event similar to the one on the right, which mostly means that one will get another BB point. Which of the events it will be is random, but depends partly on the current BB value and the ruler's DIP. Another reason against conquering a lot of land at the same time, and it also adds some unpredictability to the BB mechanic.

England annexed Desmond.

Jewish refugees from Spain have arrived and settled in Morocco, Hungary, Qara Koyunlu, Silesia, Hedjaz, Lorraine, Frankfurt, Tripoli, Tunisia, the Ottoman Empire and Cyprus. (Why not in Bohemia? I am guessing it is because of that pogrom.)

France annexed Bourbonnais.

Württemberg declared war on Baden. Naturally, the war didn't go well for them and they had to cede their province Konstanz to Austria. A few months later, the province was given back to them by the HRE.

9-15.jpg

The next stage of the coring process (reticent acceptance) has started in Torun.

Russia has formed an alliance with Austria. However, when Maria Theresia started another war against Serbia, Russia did not honour the alliance. Maybe I should ally with Russia after all, to prevent such a dangerous combination.
The Mamluks, on the other hand, joined Austria in the war.

Later, Serbia was annexed and Wallachia was made a vassal and had to cede a province (Oltenia).

The plague has broken out in Castille.

With government tech level 10, the 'land enclosure' provincial decisions became available for me. I enacted them in Danzig, Krakow and Wroclaw. The effect is not great and the decision comes with serious disadvantages, but I think that in provinces with a very high tax income it is still worth taking.

9-16.jpg

The Ottomans got the 'Knights of Rhodes' event and chose to try and take the island (declaring war on the Knights).

Small map of Europe, North Africa and parts of the Middle East (1496):

9-17.jpg

Last edited:
Great to see your aar back! It was a pleasure to read.

Hm, I did not know the 'The Union has been broken' event from earlier doesn't necessarily result in a breakoff. Learned something new.
So the Union with Modena is still intact? Great! The more foothold you gain in Italy, the better.

The opportunity seems to good to pass up and prospect of tapping into the finances of the church, to bring the money to better uses than the pope would ever do, is too tempting. Thus, the restructuring of the church of Bohemia begins.
Interesting. I ask myself where it'll take (the Church of ;)) Bohemia. Church tax? No wonder you lost your grip on the Pope in the end.

Again, Russia offers an alliance, and again I refuse for fear of being dragged into needless wars.
I don't see what you worry about. You might always ignore their call. And if they dow Sweden, or the khanates, you can always say y'es' and simply do nothing. The chance of the Austria - Russia alliance would be scary enough for me to befirend Russia again. Russia might help you finish off Poland as well.

In the case of Austria deterioration comes faster than expected as they break our alliance in June. Maybe they are alerted by Bohemia's conquests, but shouldn't they be glad their ally got a power-up?
They see you as rival now. And rightly so.

As hinted at earlier, my choice is Patron of the Arts with its nice effect on prestige.
Good choice imo. PoA ia a powerful NI in MMP2 and makes the hiring fair (which itself is a great thing) not so punishing in terms of lost prestige.

Before that, in November, there were some bad news: The attempt to forge a core on Leipzig failed.
Sorry to hear that, but with your bb, you've been jeopardizing your chances.

9-14.jpg

Each newly conquered province in MM either gets the event on the left or an event similar to the one on the right, which mostly means that one will get another BB point. Which of the events it will be is random, but depends partly on the current BB value and the ruler's DIP. Another reason against conquering a lot of land at the same time, and it also adds some unpredictability to the BB mechanic.
Don't tell me. In my current Papal aar I got Diplomatic Incident for every prov I took from OE! But on the whole I find this is a very good, and as you say dynamic, mechanism.

The Mamluks, on the other hand, joined Austria in the war.
So much for plausibility! :)

With government tech level 10, the 'land enclosure' provincial decisions became available for me. I enacted them in Danzig, Krakow and Wroclaw. The effect is not great and the decision comes with serious disadvantages
I hardly ever take this decision. The drawbacks seem to outweigh the small boost to tax.

Taking what remains of Poland and TO will probably be your next step. But where from there? Strengthening your position in Italy? Expanding in the HRE is not so easy, as your military might will need some diplomatic ice-walkig to it.

gabor said:
I don't see what you worry about. You might always ignore their call. And if they dow Sweden, or the khanates, you can always say y'es' and simply do nothing. The chance of the Austria - Russia alliance would be scary enough for me to befirend Russia again. Russia might help you finish off Poland as well.
I worry about two things: Losing stability (from answering their call to arms) and losing prestige (from not answering their call to arms). :)
Yaroslav, Pskov and Novgorod are still independent and Russia will probably dow them at some point as well. I am not sure what to do yet, but if they were to ally against me, it would make the AAR more interesting as well, so.. ;)

Taking what remains of Poland and TO will probably be your next step. But where from there? Strengthening your position in Italy? Expanding in the HRE is not so easy, as your military might will need some diplomatic ice-walkig to it.
Some possibilities are Lithuania, Hungary and Southern Italy.

matt12th said:
Clean up that border! You're a major power now, must look respectable :)
Which one, the one in Italy? That could still take a while. The one in Poland, probably not so long. :)

I worry about two things: Losing stability (from answering their call to arms) and losing prestige (from not answering their call to arms).
I understand your worry about stability, being big it takes ages to regain it, but prestige? As a regular warmonger - and you intend to conquer, don't you? - this should not be a problem. There would be ups and downs but with prestige from battles and peace terms you'll break even for sure.

I understand your worry about stability, being big it takes ages to regain it, but prestige? As a regular warmonger - and you intend to conquer, don't you? - this should not be a problem. There would be ups and downs but with prestige from battles and peace terms you'll break even for sure.
The prestige gain from a won war isn't necessarily very high; for example, despite all these successful wars, IIRC my prestige has at no time reached +40 yet. Usually, there seem to be only a few battles with high prestige 'stakes' in a single war (typically near the beginning of the war) and the prestige increase from peace deals is rather low (often zero) if I don't demand one of my cores or a province which has my religion and not theirs. ( I gather that this has changed in MMU and prestige gains from peace deals are usually much higher there. )
In a war against a large number of smaller opponents it would often be possible to collect a lot of prestige by crushing each of the main armies of these countries, but I don't know how often that situation will occur.
On the other hand, there are quite a few ways to lose prestige, like failing to 'convince' a cardinal, failing with a spy mission (I don't use these a lot though) and random events. For several reasons (e.g. faster cores), maintaining a relatively high amount of prestige is an important long-term strategy for me, hence also the choice of PoA.

Last edited:
10. A Centralized State

The agricultural techniques first tried out in Poznan have also found their way to the neighbouring Neumark. Enthusiastically adopted in some places and, after initial successes, supported almost everywhere by landowners as well as the peasantry, use of the innovative tools has become widespread. Over the years, further adjustments and refinement of the techniques have lead to further improvements. Looking back now, the wealth of the region has increased by a substantial margin.

10-1.jpg

An increase in base tax from 5 to 6. This could also be bad; if the contribution of the 'illegal' ownership of the province to my (HRE) 'rogue' value was to be recomputed (a new emperor can decide to do that), the threshold to receiving penalties could be breached. Which would be rather stupid.

The reorganization of the church is going smoothly in general, although there is some local and regional resistance in predominantly Catholic areas of the country like Silesia and Poland. Putting that aside, the reforms have spawned or rekindled several theological debates among religious scholars and other members of the clergy. While disobedience of course isn't tolerated by the king, the discussions are. Among the people involved in the debates, there are some who have proposed more far-reaching changes. One of the major advocates of these ideas, a German lecturer at the university of Krakow, argues that to contain clerical excesses and bring about better morals, only a heavily secularized state is viable. Since Bohemia is in the process of becoming one of the most centralized countries in Europe, implementing reforms to that effect would not be impossible. Since this man is no preacher and not too interested in addressing a wide audience, the influence of his work is limited, but still large enough to displease many important members of the clergy in Poland. After a few fruitless warnings to renounce his views, the powerful archbishop is convinced to have him step down from his position under the accusation of heresy. This man now appeals to the king, the person with technically the highest authority in religious matters in the country, for help.

While Ferdinand is not convinced of the practicability of the ideas of the scholar, failing to help would hurt the royal prestige and maybe create a precedence for further arbitrary acts by the archbishop or others, especially since the incident has quickly become well-known in clerical circles. On the other hand, answering the appeal could evoke fear of the king actually supporting the man's sentiments and result in further resentment, which would then undoubtedly also be reflected in disturbances among the general population. Still, the choice is an easy one. The lecturer is reinstated and placed under the protection of the crown.

10-2.jpg

In September 1496, a war over a trade conflict between Venice and the city-state of Siena begins. Fearing a Venetian reinvigoration, most of the important Italian states, including Genoa, Milan and Florence, join the Austrian emperor in the war against the Republic. Ferdinand lets the Bohemian territories and dependencies stay out of this one, deeming it unimportant, but military access is granted to the members of the alliance.

Later that year, the Silesian estates petition the king to be granted a greater degree of autonomy. Taking into account their loyalty in the past, the great Silesian contributions to Bohemia's wars and the economic importance of the cities in the region, the request does not appear to be unreasonable. Furthermore, if they were to align themselves with the emperor more strongly than with the king, as happened historically to a certain degree, as a reaction, it could cause problems in the future. Also, the support of the Silesian clergy during these times is anything but certain, while appropriate concessions could promote it. The king however, always aiming at decreasing, not increasing, the dependence of the monarchy on regional power holders, one at a time, decides to turn down the request, instead making plans to let these provinces be administered more directly from Prague and to deliberately intervene more often on aspects of regional policy. These actions of course fail to impress the Silesians, contributing to a growing diplomatic rift. The possibility of a Bohemian military intervention (from the West or the East) is clearly the single most convincing argument against breaking off.

10-3.jpg

The option to form the HoH by national decision (and thereby re-decentralize) remains. Generally speaking, having it is advisable if the country has three or more vassals, but right now centralization is more important.

In 1497, Lithuania is struck by an outbreak of the bubonic plague. We can only hope that the epidemic won't reach our country.

Ferdinand has become the head of the Church of Bohemia de jure and to an increasing degree also de facto. In the upper ranks of the clergy, there remains no serious opposition to royal supremacy or the church taxes. On biannual assemblies, the king meets all the bishops of the realm to discuss current issues and, taking into account the various opinions present, decide on a common path to follow regarding these issues. Naturally, this leaves some dissatisfied. Also, there are still quite a few parishes in which acceptance to the reforms is low to nonexistent. In Poland, especially in the recently acquired territories, animosity towards the king and his reforms often goes hand in hand with patriotic movements aimed at rejoining the Polish state. Revolts are a common occurrence in the region during these years. Since local priests cannot simply be removed and replaced by more favourable ones, among other reasons because there are too few of them, the problem will still require considerable work and the passing of sufficient time to disappear.

10-4.jpg

Above: One of the revolts. Below: Now the full effects of the Bureaucracy NI on administrative efficiency will apply.

1497 also sees a significant boost of the country's army, to a size of 9000 men on horses and 21000 footsoldiers. (nearly exhausting this level of modifiers for 'standing army' and 'horse shortages'; I like having numbers divisible by 3000, because this is the number of soldiers needed to besiege a standard level 2 fort)

Because of the foreign policy pursued in the last decades and the wars, Bohemia has antagonized several of its neighbours and many others have become wary of its growing power. On the other hand, the new position we find ourselves in has also increased our attractiveness as a potential ally for the major powers of Europe. Offers from France, Russia, Scotland, Denmark and several smaller countries in the empire have arrived. Ferdinand is interested in maintaining that perception and tries to put the country in a favourable position, securing connections, participating in intrigues, feignedly aligning himself sometimes with one party, sometimes with another, while preserving as many diplomatic options as possible. It can be attributed to these efforts that the duke of Burgundy, lusting for the title of emperor, was successfully made to believe that a sufficient number of electors could be won for his cause if only the elector of Bohemia could be won first. Ferdinand secretly pledged his 'support' and promised to 'do his best' to convince the other electors in return for a generous bribe, but it soon became clear that this vague support would amount to nothing as none of the princes in question was interested in the first place. When the details of the arrangement leaked out a bit later, said duke quickly became the laughingstock of the empire.

10-5.jpg

Time will have to tell whether Ferdinand's approach to diplomacy is suitable for these times. If an enemy managed to rally a large alliance against Bohemia, despite amiable relationships with a great number of countries, no strong bonds of honour or dependency would persuade most of our neighbours or major powers in Europe to help us or even prevent them from intervening opportunistically on the side of that enemy.

My reason for avoiding an alliance with countries like France or Russia is mainly my unwillingness to participate in (for me) meaningless wars which major powers like these are bound to conduct. I value highly the ability to choose when to be at war and when to be at peace. An exception could have been Austria, because they are a very strong neighbour and it would really help having them on my side; but they don't want an alliance. France is a bit far away, but could maybe become a potentially useful ally in the future, e.g. against Burgundy or Spain or England - but I don't want to fight Burgundy right now, the Iberians and England don't seem to care about me yet and I don't really have 'business' with them. Reasons for allying Russia could, as far as I can tell, only be a) avoid a war with them or b) get their help against the Ottomans. b) is not an issue right now, a) could become an issue very soon, but I still don't see this outweighing the potential disadvantages. And I am pretty sure they will be competing with me over Lithuania. A two-front war (e.g. versus Austria and Russia) is always ugly, though, so maybe I will change my opinion later. Now a major ally I would like to have (besides Austria) is England. Recent wars have shown that even with just a few ports, the country is very vulnerable to sea blockades. Also, Ireland is mostly conquered by now, so they probably won't declare a lot of wars during the next decades. But they, like Austria, don't want an alliance (we have a royal marriage though). For these reasons, I mainly look at medium powers when thinking about potential allies at the moment. (If somebody has a different opinion, feel free to say it, as I am not entirely sure that I am doing the best thing here.)

Meanwhile in Italy, Venice is losing their war quite badly. In August (still 1497), the Doge has to cede Brescia to Milan.

An unintended side effect of the church taxes is the apparent inability of the clergy in some of the poorer regions in Poland, which have experienced uprisings and the associated instability and devastation recently, to compensate for damage done to local churches, even if only through normal abrasion or natural causes. Apart from having little money at hand, in many of the parishes fear exists that if someone invested in church inventory or equipment, these things might be taken away in the course of further 'reforms'. Also, rumors circulate of churches and monasteries being closed down and razed to save money. While these rumors are untrue, it is true that the Bohemian state does nothing to help renovating or rebuilding rundown churches.

10-6.jpg

In 1498, two very talented young men offer their services to the king and are promptly hired as high-ranking advisors.

10-7.jpg

Bankers are like weaker versions of a master of mint, but a six-star banker is still very valuable economically. The fortification expert could also very much come in handy in a war against a strong opponent or in a war which is fought on several fronts: It will enable me to focus my armies in one area, while my own provinces or provinces conquered during the war will be able to hold out longer (more than 40% longer for this advisor if the base defensiveness is 100%, which is the case for most provinces - a bonus so strong it's almost overpowered if combined with other bonuses to defensiveness, like from the defensiveness slider or MM fortifications) against attacks. Even during peacetime the advisor helps as his presence will make it more difficult for rebels to succeed in taking a province before the army arrives to relieve the siege.

In November, news arrive of events in Lübeck which threaten to shake Northern Europe. The Hansetag decided to retaliate against the Danish aggression and to attempt to recover Bremen for the Hansa by force. A large nuke amount of money has been prepared for the purpose of convincing as many countries as possible to lend active military help, send mercenaries or provide other assistance. The host of nations to answer the call is impressive, but it soon becomes clear that the support from most of them will be very limited.

10-8.jpg

Denmark's diplomatic situation

In January 1499, Bohemia's infamy has been reduced to 0, a slightly unsettling state for a warmonger. I decide to have another go at trying to forge a core on Saxony's province Leipzig. To my delight, the spy missions succeed at the first attempt and like last time, only a few months later the first stage of the process is already complete.

10-9.jpg

Since my spies were not discovered, this means that Ferdinand's reputation is still honourable, so a war is probably in order soon. (Note: This is a joke.)

August sees very encouraging developments in Modena. A great number of nobles in the duchy have expressed the opinion that they would rather want to be part of a province of the Bohemian kingdom while retaining some degree of autonomy than return to the insecure situation of living in a small buffer state between the Papal States, Milan, Tuscany and Venice. What also helped was that supporters of this solution were promised special privileges or other compensations.

10-10.jpg

In the Hansa war, which has been going on for three quarters of a year at this point, things went well for the Hansa at first.

10-11.jpg

Very well, indeed. But wait. While the allies have transported huge amounts of soldiers to Danish lands, the Danes on their part are able to besiege Lübeck unimpededly.

10-12.jpg

In March, the (predictable?) shock follows.

10-13.jpg

The war goes on for another year. In the end, Denmark could not win, but the Hansa could not reach their goal to liberate Bremen either.

10-14.jpg

Well played, Denmark, I want to say. But I think that the AI just isn't very good at handling Scandinavia (primarily Denmark) vs. Northern Germany mechanics. And of course there is the (usual) strangeness of the Teutonic Order being chosen by the game as warleader for the Hansa.

All this doesn't concern Bohemia very much, although trade through Danzig does seem to be impeded by the turmoil ('rampant piracy').

Regardless, we have more important matters to attend to.

10-15.jpg

Time to take the (isolated) capital!

--

Minor Notes

Rhodes was conquered by the Ottomans.

I reached land tech 15, enabling me to build strongholds and weapon manufactories.

Coring progressed in Sandomierz, to the stage 'reticent acceptance'.

Several chartered markets were built in my provinces.

Austria went bankrupt, for reasons unknown to me.

Some countries have already switched from 'feudal' to 'adiministrative' monarchy, but it will still take a while until this can be done in Bohemia (2 tech levels to go I think).

Last edited:
The option to form the HoH by national decision (and thereby re-decentralize) remains. Generally speaking, having it is advisable if the country has three or more vassals, but right now centralization is more important.
Won't the event pop up again and again? If so, you might fully centralise before you take the HoH decision; true, it's adviseable when you have 3 or more vassals. Dynamic vassals in MM is one of the things I like a lot.

My reason for avoiding an alliance with countries like France or Russia is mainly my unwillingness to participate in (for me) meaningless wars which major powers like these are bound to conduct. I value highly the ability to choose when to be at war and when to be at peace.
Rightly so. I like your detailed explanation who and why not to ally. It's been said before and you point it out too: for a land power a naval ally is a blessing (and the other way round too).

The fortification expert could also very much come in handy in a war against a strong opponent or in a war which is fought on several fronts
At last someone who likes this advisor too. :) It seems most players find them useless.

As for the Danish war, TO is a better alliance leader than Switzerland :D (happens all too often) :confused: Anyway, well-done Denmark! I hardly ever see AI handling Denmark or Venice successfully.

Regardless, we have more important matters to attend to.
Popcorn on the ready. Let the show begin! ;)

Warsaw will belong to Bohemia in no time! Will you seek any further gains from that war? The provinces Lithuania has on its southwestern border mostly suck, the juicy stuff is farther away.

I also somewhat like the Fortification Expert, it's the best military advisor during shorther multi-front wars. Overall, I see the WE reduction from Quartermasters and Recruitmasters as more crucial since it makes long-waiting much easier. But Fortification Expert is right behind those two.

Won't the event pop up again and again? If so, you might fully centralise before you take the HoH decision; true, it's adviseable when you have 3 or more vassals. Dynamic vassals in MM is one of the things I like a lot.

Yes, it will fire again and again, but refusing it rises the MTTH from 10 years to 25 years. Still, it's a free slider movement so nothing to be picky about. In the mid- to late-game, I preffer the free stability point you can choose when you no longer have any vassals but you still have the House of Highlords. Once you get it, it's time to create another three vassals so the wheels of gaminess can run smoothly ;)

11. Consolidating Poland

At the start of the war, I have an inflation of 0.4. Setting the treasury slider to 0 leads to a predicted annual inflation reduction of 0.09, which is a lot and mostly due to Ferdinand's administrative skills.

Having declared war without a CB means that my stability went down to an unsettling -1, but it rises to 0 again on the 1st of the next month (April), since I had 'saved up' sufficiently much in stability investments. This 'trick' I am sure most people know about derives from the fact that raising stability from 1 to 2 and especially from 2 to 3 is much more expensive than the other steps. (The 'trick' can be exploited in a great number of ways.)

Another downside of having no CB against Lithuania is that I immediately get 2 points of infamy and 3 points of war exhaustion. Clearly, defensive wars (e.g. wars one enters because of a warning issued earlier) in which one is the leader of the defending alliance are much better in this regard (i.e. no immediate BB or WE penalty) and should always be preferred over offensive wars in MMP2 (as opposed to in MMU with its elaborate CB system maybe), if possible. Sending out a lot of warnings also tends to make these ('defensive') wars possible pretty often, but sometimes offensive wars will be unavoidable, if continuous expansion is desired. At this point, another Polish DoW on the TO or another country would have been highly unlikely after all.

My non-vassal non-PU allies, Pommerania and Bavaria, sadly don't want to take part in the war. The alliance with Pommerania is re-established a few months later, but Bavaria doesn't seem to be interested anymore. (Another negative aspect of offensive wars: They can destroy your alliances.)

But enough about the general premises of the war. My plan is to destroy the Polish army and take all of their 3 provinces as soon as possible, probably with liberal use of assaults. One of these provinces, Podolia, will probably be a bit more tricky to get, since it gets a 50% bonus to defensiveness for containing a 'defensible location' (presumably the Kamianets-Podilskyi castle is referred to by this). While doing this, I want my army to fend off the Lithuanians, but without pursuing or sieging their provinces. As soon as all of Poland's provinces will have been occupied, my warscore will be at 100%. Then I can maybe quickly take the Lithuanian provinces I have set my eyes on (more on that later) and make peace.

Let's take a look at how the plan is put into action. My first move is to attack Warszawa with a strong force to overwhelm the army of the Polish king and hopefully afterwards quickly take the capital. While my losses are a bit more than anticipated, driving out the enemy army works pretty well.

11-1.jpg

I have my army wait a month until the Silesians arrive (providing another 5k infantry in addition to my 11k) and conduct the assault, which is shortly interrupted by the returning Polish army. In early June, the province is captured.

11-2.jpg

Meanwhile, my remaining army (9k infantry) is split into three smaller 3k armies which are moved to Ruthenia, Podolia and Volhynia to start sieging these provinces. After the assault on Warszawa, my first army has expectedly lost a considerable number of men and much of its morale, so I send them to the neighbouring Bohemian provinces to reinforce. The king of Poland, after having been beat twice already, keeps sending his soldiers towards Warszawa, who are now also aided by a medium-sized Lithuanian army. I discover it was a mistake to withdraw my forces so early when a large part of the Silesian army (which did not retreat) gets destroyed by these combined forces a bit later. Instead of besieging Warszawa, however, the Lithuanian army moves towards the province Sieradz and more Lithuanians attack in Lublin.

11-3.jpg

And this is really a problem the AI has: They will often split their armies too much while taking the offensive, making each part vulnerable. If they don't do that, it is likely they will create stacks so large that their armies get worn down by attrition in enemy lands very quickly.

It didn't take long until Poland's army in Warszawa, which was almost their entire army, could be routed by my returning forces.

In the South, on the other hand, things did not go as smoothly as planned. Lithuania is doing admirably well, breaking my sieges and even managing to push my main army back with a much smaller force.

11-4.jpg

By the way: Like during the last war against Poland, the fact that Lithuania has a fleet and I don't (and Pommerania does not participate in the war!) means that the 'Significant Blockades' modifier is present during almost the entire wartime.

In November, while I am still struggling to put an end to the now-frequent Lithuanian forays in southern Poland, the Burgundy-sponsored pope dies. I currently control one cardinal and France, the country with the most influence in the curia at the moment, controls 3. The chances to get any of the cardinals on my side using a bribe are between 25% and 30%, which is quite good, but I try and fail three times before running out of money. A candidate sympathetic to France, but not under their direct influence (Their choice in the 'Habemus Papam' event : 'The new pope is a pious man'), wins the election in December.

In January 1502, I am informed that the Jews of Bohemia want to display their loyalty to the king by contributing to the country's war efforts.

11-5.jpg

This nice event can only happen at 4.0 war exhaustion or more and is more likely to happen if there are a greater number of Jewish settlements in the country (since it is a province-based event). It lets me choose between getting a small boost to manpower, getting a small or medium amount of money or getting a free general or army tradition. The last option is the one I think is usually the best and that I almost always choose. Especially in this game, having the Battlefield Commissions and the Engineer Corps NIs means that any new general will get +1 to shock, fire and siege on top of his normal abilities, so even a general recruited while having low army tradition will at least not be bad. The general I get from the event turns out to be pretty good.

The spy mission aimed at forging a core in Leipzig sees further progress in February. The next event in the series will either award the core or tell me that the attempt failed. Again it is a bit inconvenient to get this event in a situation in which my infamy will soon increase substantially (making failure more likely), but I won't hold back in peace demands because of this.

11-6.jpg

It is not before April that the tides of war finally take the decisive turn. In a series of successful battles culminating in two great victories near Lublin and Kovel, the Lithuanians are driven out of Bohemian territory, while all the cities and castles in Ruthenia are conquered.

11-7.jpg

From this point on, I have almost complete power over where and when to fight the enemy, as Lithuania isn't able to pull off any further serious counterattacks. I can freely chase the remaining Lithuanian and Polish forces, take defensive bonuses when they don't, bring my best generals to use against their general-less armies, while being able to make a safe tactical retreat whenever desired. The result is that in the course of the next year (because this is how long it still takes to achieve the sought-after victory) my armies can besiege the fortifications in the Podolia region as well as in the bordering Lithuanian provinces relatively undisturbedly, while their remaining and newly mustered armies are routinely routed.

During that year, my entire monthly investments being directed towards it, stability rises to +1 and in October, in the countries to the south events take place which will without doubt have a great impact on future developments for Bohemia.

11-8.jpg

This can only be good: Instead of me having to worry about Austria inheriting Hungary and becoming even more powerful, Austria now has to worry about being backstabbed by their neighbours (and still-allies), while a future expansion of the realm into 'Hungary' (e.g. Slovakia) has become a much more realistic prospect for me. Naturally, the first reaction of the Bohemian diplomacy to this newly independent country is to issue a warning.

In February 1503, the recent centralization finally shows an effect on AE and the situation of the government improves from 'competent' to 'capable'. This is not a great improvement, but it is nice to know that even with a few additional provinces, I still won't be getting the 'inefficient' one with its +10% to stability cost.

Victory over Poland follows in May. Considering Bohemia's marked material superiority (income and manpower), it was probably clear from the beginning that things would turn out this way, but I was surprised that Poland and Lithuania, after all the defeats during the last 50 years, were still able to put up such a good fight. They deserve credit for not allowing me to implement my plans for a quick and easy conclusion and causing Bohemia's war exhaustion to rise to the high value of 6.2 at the end of the war.

Here is a map of the new borders in the East:

11-9.jpg

The newly acquired cities and regions are Warszawa, Podlasia, Volhynia and Kiev. Why did I choose these in particular? Warszawa obviously because it is a great province and has Polish culture and the war was mostly about it. Podlasia chiefly for completeness sake; it was the last remaining province with Polish culture that I didn't own yet. Apart from that it is insignificant, but also didn't cost a lot of warscore. Volhynia and Kiev are probably the best Ukrainian provinces - they both have good manpower (I only get half of it though, because 'East Slavic' is a culture group different from the 'West Slavic' one the Czech and Polish cultures are in), contain a good amount of Jewish shtetls (which more than make up for the tax malus stemming from the different culture group), have decent urban population (both around 10k), Volhynia has a valuable main trade good (Carmine) and Kiev has a high base tax value (7). Another plus is that they both are not Russian cores. Maybe a bit contrary to popular belief, there are quite a few Ukrainian and Belarussian provinces which are at least decent (good if the player is Russia or has Ukrainian as accepted culture); manpower numbers especially tend to be relatively high in the region. Certainly there were good reasons the Habsburgs (and others) were interested in Galicia historically.

The provinces in Lithuania proper, on the other hand, are, excluding the capital, very poor. Of the Belarussian provinces, Polotsk and Minsk are noteworthy (attractive trade goods), while Polesia and Grodno are dirt-poor like most of Lithuania. Maybe I will need to conquer these two for strategic reasons at some point (when passing only through Bohemian territory, Kiev can only be accessed through the provinces Lublin and then Volhynia at the moment), but Podolia and Ruthenia could fulfil the same function.

For the fun of it, I made a very crude colored map of the Lithuanian region to show the economic and military attractiveness of the various provinces contained in it for potential conquerors (the coloring is of course my personal evaluation and by no means an objective assessment):

11-10.jpg

Something also to be taken into account is that the base tax values of the Lithuanian provinces are reduced by 1 as long as they are held by Lithuania in personal union with Poland. When ownership changes to a third party, the values return to their normal state.

11-11.jpg

Soon after the war is over, the short high of administrative efficiency ends and the government is only considered 'competent' again. Bohemia's infamy is now almost exactly at 4, as the BB points received for starting the war have already dissipated. A nice consequence of the war is that, owing to many small victorious battles, Bohemia's prestige has risen to about +45. Also, the inflation rate has decreased to 0.2.

In August, a long-anticipated event finally happens: The pope demands the return of Romagna. The demand is reasonable from the point of view that the king holding the province was meant to be temporary and in place of the (then deemed not to be of sound mind) pope in the first place, but of course by now we are convinced that the idea of the supremacy of the papacy and especially of the association of any worldly power with the same is wrong in itself and that, in essence, the pretensions of the Bishops of Rome are at the root of the greatest scam in the history of Christianity. (That doesn't keep us from trying to influence the curia, mind you. Non olet.)

11-12.jpg

Losing a province always feels a bit like a step backwards. On the other hand, the first option has a definite appeal and the infamy reduction would really come in handy now, while the second option seems rather painful: Stability loss and another point of infamy for that darned province. Oh well, I will stop pretending I haven't already made the decision a long time ago. 'Dismantle the papal states' it will be.

--

Minor notes

Castille took the 'Golden Empires' exploration route.

France took the 'Northwest Passage' exploration route. All the major exploration routes have been taken now.

Aragon declared war on Navarra.

Coring progress: From 'reticent acceptance' to 'minor qualms' in Plock and Torun.

Last edited:
You're quickly carving a formidable empire in the Middle Europe, getting to Ukraine in less than 50 years is great.

I usually ask for material support when the Jews feel like contributing, but getting good general is also nice.

Poor pope is going to regret his pesky demands, Romagna for Czechs! If not now, then later! Although it's only useful because of the university, there are better provinces in Italy, like Mr. Pope's residence ;)

Oh, I didn't know you can demand the isolated capital AND other provinces. In my Papal aar all I could ask from OE was their isolated new capital in Anatolia OR other provinces (but it is MMU). Btw, where's the Polish capital now?

I wonder how will the Pope react to your obstinancy and cheekiness. :)

The 'Statute expired' is certainly a nice event, didn't know it worked like this. There's hope your push eastwards won't cripple your economy.

Aragon dowing Navarre is one of few sure-to-happen things on this planet ;) and is alarm-clock regular; can be exploited (as I did in my Savoy aar).