• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sharples88

Colonel
23 Badges
Mar 7, 2014
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
I'm currently playing as Bohemia as a fully Hussite nation. I have Poland, Lithuania and France under a PU and will soon have Brandenburg along with Saxony in the future.

However, one major issue I seem to have is the point of subjugating Brandenburg and Saxony in order to sway the politics in the HRE when Hussite Bohemia cannot even become the emperor. This is compounded by their own idea set (+10.0% Imperial Growth Modifer) and the Imperial Ambition mission tree, since Bohemia will never be voted. You're also left out of the 'Peace in Europe' mission, which gives -5 Yearly seperatism and Monarch Diplomatic Skill.

What's even worse is that Bohemia will never become the Protestant League Leader since it's a Hussite nation, and therefore it is highly unlikely that the peace of westphalia will ever take place.

Effectively, hussite works against what it wants. EU4's mission tree isn't mutually exclusive like HOI4. It sounds like somebody got mixed up while making the tree.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Bohemia can switch to Protestant by event if it's Hussite when the Reformation pops up https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Bohemian_events#Hussite_Traditions. So I guess that's the point of the mission tree, that you "outgrow" Hussitism when Protestantism appears (which makes sense historically I guess as Hussitism is seen as a sort of proto-Protestantism).

EDIT: I just found this on the "Hussites" article on Wikipedia:

The appearance of Martin Luther was hailed by the Utraquist clergy, and Luther himself was astonished to find so many points of agreement between the doctrines of Hus and his own. But not all Utraquists approved of the German Reformation; a schism arose among them, and many returned to the Roman doctrine, while other elements had organised the "Unitas Fratrum" already in 1457.
And then...
Under Emperor Maximilian II, the Bohemian state assembly established the "Confessio Bohemica", upon which Lutherans, Reformed, and Bohemian Brethren agreed. From that time forward Hussitism began to die out.
So it seems like Hussitism IRL was absorbed by mainstream Protestantism when the latter appeared, which I think is what the mission tree reflects (and the path it suggests the player to follow).

Last edited:
I'm currently playing as Bohemia as a fully Hussite nation. I have Poland, Lithuania and France under a PU and will soon have Brandenburg along with Saxony in the future.

However, one major issue I seem to have is the point of subjugating Brandenburg and Saxony in order to sway the politics in the HRE when Hussite Bohemia cannot even become the emperor. This is compounded by their own idea set (+10.0% Imperial Growth Modifer) and the Imperial Ambition mission tree, since Bohemia will never be voted. You're also left out of the 'Peace in Europe' mission, which gives -5 Yearly seperatism and Monarch Diplomatic Skill.

What's even worse is that Bohemia will never become the Protestant League Leader since it's a Hussite nation, and therefore it is highly unlikely that the peace of westphalia will ever take place.

Effectively, hussite works against what it wants. EU4's mission tree isn't mutually exclusive like HOI4. It sounds like somebody got mixed up while making the tree.
Hussites can go protestant for free and become emperor by winning league war
They can also enforce religious peace and then hussite along with all other Christian sects can become emperor

That was my take as well. Devs wanted to push you in the direction of becoming Hussite and then switching to Protestantism when the Age of Reformation starts, which is a real shame considering how Hussite is pretty much only available to Bohemia and has many more interesting bonus than Protestantism -- and most players have already played dozens of hundreds of games as Protestant.

So, you get this really cool toy to play with (that you payed for btw) for the first 50 years of the game and then you are incentivizes to drop it in favour of going back to the same old toy that you are used to (Protestantism). I think I'd be fine with this decision if more mechanics were affected by Ages like this but, as it stands, Hussites is one of the few mechanics that are locked behind Ages like this.

• 1Like
Reactions:
What really bothers me is that there is an imperial incident that can lead to religious peace if the protestant league wins the war and enforces protestantism, but there is a majority of reformed countries in the HRE. Hussites can not trigger this incident for reasons only known to Paradox. :(

• 1Like
Reactions: