• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(48100)

Field Marshal
Aug 30, 2005
Hi, I write this After Action Report for all the, I don't want to call you noobs, as this sounds not nice, let's say beginners.

Starting CK is not always easy and one could get desperate through this. To avoid that I thought it would be good if someone would write an AAR to help you. And why shouldn't I do that myself?

This AAR is about Bohemia in 1066 with the latest beta (nowadays it's a bit outdated I fear. It's the version 1.04b, not 1.05 ~ CSK seventh of June 2007). Bohemia is quite a good country to start with as you can get King soon and still have help from your liege. It is also one of the first countries the most start with and I can show some good tactics due to this.

It is a translation from German, my mother-tongue, where I did this AAR some time ago and still do it. Feel free to ask as many questions as you want, I will answer them as good as I can.

Last edited:
Bohemia is part of the Holy Roman Empire, here just called Germany as there is no Emperor tag.

It has eight provinces, five of them under direct controll of the Duke. Two of these (Prague and Plzen) are very rich, and three (Cheb, Usti nad Labem, and Liberec) are quite poor, which currently costs me more money than they make because I get lower efficiency due to them. Besides that the Duke and his family have a claim on Silesia, which is made of two provinces and part of Poland.

reich8qv.jpg

The ruler of Bohemia, Vratislav Premyslid:

herrscher7xi.jpg

His "real" stats (those not affected by traits) are 8 martial, 5 diplomacy, 4 intrigue, 7 stewardship, 4 health and 7 fertility. The last two are not shown in the game itself, I only post them to show what influence they have on the game.

The Military skill affects the speed the troops in a province of the Ruler regenerate. Also it increases the chances to win a battle at the same strength, and you can research military technologies faster. The combined stats of both the Ruler and the Marshal are considered in all of these cases.

The Diplomacy skill has mainly an influence on the loyalty of your vassals. That does not sound like much, but in fact it is one of the most important aspects of the game, if not the most important aspect, as low loyalty increase the chances of vassals breaking away. That makes it in my opinion to the second most important stat of the game.

The Intrigue stat affects the chance of an successful assassination. Also the higher the Ruler's Intrigue is, the more provinces he can have in his personal demesne. For every province you have over the limit you lose 10% efficiency. If you have less than 80% efficiency you get some nasty events, which give you revolts and thieves. So: Never have less than 80% efficiency! If you want to say that intrigue would have no influence on this in real life than I can only say that in game the Intrigue would be to unimportant otherwise. Your Spymaster helps only in assassinations, but doesn't increase your personal demesne limit. The limit is affected only by the rank of your ruler.

The Stewardship skill is in my opinion the most important stat of your ruler. He has influence on the Income of a province and so also on the total income of the Realm. The higher the income of a province is the more men you can muster from there. And in provinces with higher than 15 income you can build some very good buildings, especially the military academy which gives you +10% speed in getting troops and +200 additional men you can muster.

Health has an impact on how long your Ruler lives and how often he gets illnesses. As you can't see it you should look at how old his or her parents and grandparents get and how many of her family have an illness.

The Fertility stat tells you how high the chances are that your ruler and his wife get a child. IF one of both has 0 fertility he can't get children. But the game is not unfair and in the beginning there is no one that has no living brothers, uncles, nephews etc.

Later in the game you cannot lose because of a lack of relatives with the same surname if you choose Salic Primogeniture or Consanguinity; you will instead play on with a unknown cousin of your family, which has quite bad stats. But at least you won't lose.

Last edited:
yourworstnightm said:
Bohemia, interresting... If I'm not completely misstaken it would be wrong to say Austria and Lusatia should not be yours, wait... all germany should be yours!!! (and Poland too)
Poland will get crushed. And then I'll take Austria. But first of all I have to say this is no real AAR as I make my other ones but one to describe how to play CK successful. And I myself wouldn't take Bohemia anymore, that is one of the first countries I played and I know how to play with it. But for the first game it is quite funny and satisfying.

If and when I get CK,this can prove to be very helpful.Dont stop making this aar until I got the game and have learned to play it.

An AAR for n00bs? - Check
Promising start? - Check
Playing Bohemia? - Czech ;)

I will be definitely following this one. :)

Great idea.
icon14.gif

A small note, you write
...and three are quite poor, Cheb, Usti nad Labem and Liberec, which are more ballast.
Ballast is small stones usually laid between railway tracks, perhaps you mean barren? (usually I woldn't coment on such a small thing, but it won't do if we confuse the beginners, eh) :)

Thanks.

@Veldmaarschalk: Yes, a bit it is. But if it can help this is ok.

@Ciçatrix: Ballast means in German that it does more harm than it helps, means I would get more money if I had only Prag and Plzen because of the less efficiency. At least it can mean that. I gonna change it later. And I gonna call you Scar now. :D

Edit: I changed it for better understanding.

Last edited:
You could always give the choad provinces to say, your kids or what not so you don't lose pestiage because they have no property. Or some worthless coutier that is just keeping a chair warm in your court.

Either way, smashing idea. Hope to see more of this in the future :)

canadiancreed said:
You could always give the choad provinces to say, your kids or what not so you don't lose pestiage because they have no property. Or some worthless coutier that is just keeping a chair warm in your court.

Either way, smashing idea. Hope to see more of this in the future :)
I did. But I didn't it translate it yet. Next update I will.

Thanks. You will.

Last edited:
First let's do the laws:

The inheritance law is perfect as it is. Salic Consanguinity means that the most powerful Son (or the most powerful grandson, if no son of the current ruler should be alive*), gets it all. The Power is shown due to the individual's Military skill (without Marshal, if any), but with traits and education, first and then the other stats. But the most important thing are the titles of an heir. A Duke will always come before a Count and one with two Duke titles will come before one with one. The same of course also applies for Counts. Prestige also has an influence, but even if the one with one Duke title has 500 000 prestige, he still will come after the one with two Duke titles.

Next I change my form of Government to Feudal Contract. This gives me an important loyalty bonus of +1% per month with my vassals. The law's description in the game seems to say that this law would make my troops weaker I have to admit, but I believe that the number of men is more important anyway. And loyal Vassals are pretty much the most important thing for every King or Duke to have.

I leave the laws of the Church like they are. Most of the time they are good enough from the start and I don't have to change them. Only with Regal Supremacy do I change it, either to Monastic Supremacy or Ecclesical Ballance since the Church would get angry otherwise. (This only counts for Catholics--Orthodox rulers don't have to do this.)

gesetze8dt.jpg

Last edited:
How can i get the same patch for CK that you have got?

Will these classic lessons be in
1. How to punish unthankful vassals
2. How to make your own inheritance scam
3. How to (in)breed healthy heirs
4.How to crush silly people called Poles
5. How to crushed yourself by some uncivilized mongols
6. How to retire to the beer cellar an treat your sorrows

The next order of business is the realm's research.

I research castles . Those give one a bonus in defense--if an enemy sieges a province with a better castle the siege will take him longer to complete than one with a lower-level castle. I also get extra troops for having one. I would go with siege equipment if I were a count and have only a few troops, but since I have many of them it's better to have some more men and a good defense.

militrtechnik0jr.jpg

I'm going for mining as well. The first step gives me a tile-factory which costs 100 gold and increases the income of a province in which it is built by 4%. Furthermore it takes 10% less time to build other buildings in a province with a tile-factory. But the main reason I choose it is the second step, the mine. This costs 100 gold and gives me +1 gold per month.

wirtschaftstechnik1ja.jpg

And I investgate schools. The first rank gives me libraries (+25 prestige when built, +5% income). The second one gives me schools (+25 prestige when built, -5% income) and monasteries (+25 piety when built, +5% income).

wissenschaften3el.jpg

Last edited: