• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Seconding the above sentiment, and letting you know that I'm still watching attentively.
Thank you - always very much appreciated. Shouldn't be long till the next episode is up. :)

Chapter 37: Ingria - the Crossroads of the North (12 January – 14 June 880)
Chapter 37: Ingria - the Crossroads of the North (12 January – 14 June 880)

Previously, on Blut und Schlacht Merya had been defeated and subjugated into Garðaríki; next steps must be decided - after a sustained period of expansion in the interior, eyes now turn north and west; for a Viking nation, shipyards are needed for the long term; and the Germanic religion cries out for reform - another factor pulling Rurik’s gaze westwards.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

January 880

The levies were dismissed on 12 January 880, immediately after the victory against Merya. First, Rurik cast his eyes to the north, one of the suggestions from the last Þing. Apart from requiring a long voyage around the top of Scandinavia to get to anywhere useful from there, it was found these northern reaches were almost completely bereft of shipyards. Rurik sought facilities already built that could be used and developed and were ideal for raiding in the Baltic and Western Europa.

R8zRjZ.jpg

He decided that the previously identified single-county Chiefdom of Käkisalmi will be the target, with both a shipyard in its tribal holding and another in its Temple of Raivola. It is also in the general direction of the Holy Sites of the north. The main concern was the great piety of its Chief: we would be able to use it to summon Finnish religious fanatics to his standards.The Tribal Army and Rurik’s personal regiment were ordered to gather in Ingria.

hly2KV.jpg

War was declared on Chief Ahma.

Nnw47T.jpg

The first moves of the campaign were made. Ahma raised his personal levy, while Rurik again called up his main personal levies from Ladoga and Holmgarðr.

e8U737.jpg

Four days later, Chief Ahma summoned 2,000 holy warriors to his cause. A check of the Cleansing Sword of Belo Ozero had showed he would likely respond to a call to arms this time (which would be a first) – and he did so quickly when asked, bringing almost 500 men to the field. Vsemil had once again demonstrated surprising dedication: his forces were detailed to join Þorsteinn as he made toward Ingria with the Holmgarðr Regiment – now 1,000 strong.

mrTStN.jpg

And a week later, Ahma used his very pious reputation to call up yet another 2,000 holy warriors and with this force of well over 4,000 made toward Ingria. This caused Rurik to change his plans: his main force would concentrate in Holmgarðr, with all his personal levies now summoned and the call going out for the Smolenskians to once again join in the fight. They would then aim to march to Luki, where an advance guard was sent, to be able to attack Ahma from the south, avoiding a river crossing and fighting Ahma in the rough terrain (forest in this case) that Rurik was strongest in.

I4q8AL.jpg

And a few days later, Grimr once again did his duty and mustered his levies for the King (it took a little longer for the message to reach him). Like Vsemil, they were directed to join Þorsteinn. Rurik would assume command once the main body was mustered.

hlLt81.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

February - March 880

The second half of January and then February were spent by both sides mustering and marching. The Garðarikian advance guard was now assembled in Luki and the majority of the main body in Holmgarðr, which now also began moving to Luki. At this point, Ahma was still making his approach long march and river crossing to Ingria.

pizcLv.jpg

Early March saw the winter snows not yet thawed and Ingria under siege. And for some reason, the Belo Ozero contingent was taking the ‘scenic route’ to join the main body via Zaozerye! It looked like Ingria may be able to hold out for about two months: it would be a close-run thing as to whether Rurik could muster a sufficient force in Luki to close with Ahma before it fell.

klJVwg.jpg

As Rurik waited in the capital before joining his troops, Gumarich noted in his journal that the King's second son, young Eilif, was taken badly ill with the flu. While not normally fatal, the flu could be dangerous in the young: the Godi Þorolfr was summoned immediately to lend what assistance he could as Court Physician - and Rurik's closest and most trusted confidant.

yFkpsX.jpg

A few days later, Rurik was sitting one evening in his private chamber, considering reports of troop movements and the sundry affairs of state that running a now large kingdom required. The hearth gave off a comfortable glow and welcome warmth – the winter was not yet fully at bay. As he pored over a report by candlelight, a knock at the door sounded.

“Enter.”

“My Liege, a seek leave to disturb your musings and would add more for your considerations,” it is Hrörekr, the Chancellor. “We have this evening received word from our eastern neighbours in Mari. It seems the threat they feel from our recent expansions has goaded them into action. They have announced the formation of a defensive pact against you.”

nQfxX2.jpg

“Hah, well, they can hardly be blamed for that – we were expecting something like this to happen. How many do you think may join?”

“Well, My Liege, he is a Mordvin of the Suomenusko faith. We many expect others of his faith who share a border with us to join, especially after our attack on Ahma. It should not bring them into the current conflict, but may start to draw others in to our west and north, where the Suomi are prevalent and they seek protection in numbers.”

“I see, Hrörekr. Depending on who does join, it will increase the stakes for future expansion, especially against the Suomi. Ensure you keep me well informed when I head off to Luki to join the army. I will take Gumarich with me: please coordinate the passage of information through him while I am in the field.”

The Chancellor left. Rurik pondered his map, wondering where this would lead.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

April 880

Rurik had less than two weeks to wait before the pact against him began to gain adherents: Livonia joined the defensive pact in early April. He also looked at the numbers he would be able to gather against Ahma: even with all his levies mustered, the Tribal Army and Vsemil and Grimr’s contingents, he would have slightly fewer troops to hand than Ahma – whose ranks of heavy infantry had been greatly boosted through the two religious hordes he had summoned. Rurik decided to increase the odds in his favour by calling on another Tribal Army: 2,500 troops more, again many of them heavy infantry, would do the trick nicely.

Rurik had hoped to avoid expending the extra prestige on this but felt it would be necessary to ensure a healthy victory and ensure his precious levies were shielded from the kind of carnage a close battle – or even defeat – might bring. And having lost battles twice in Ingria previously before finally beating Pskov against another religious horde early in his reign, he vowed not to do the same this time. He quickly wrote orders to Helgi to call more conquering hordes to the ranks.

Ch37 Learning Point 1: An embarrassment of riches. Alas, on this occasion a mixture of newbieness and failure to double-check something made me genuinely regret playing in Ironman mode for the first time. Which in retrospect I wouldn’t have done for a first and learning game plus AAR (where I feel there is more invested than simply stuffing something up in private, where you can race through a game and just put it down to experience).

So when I went to raise the tribal army via the intrigue screen, I clicked the relevant box and nothing seemed to happen – it stayed green. I was either expecting a notification of some sort or for the box to grey out after clicking. Perhaps I just wasn’t concentrating properly in this session: it wasn’t the only or worst error I made – more on that in the next episode. So, without getting out of the screen to check, I clicked the button again. *Your authAAR palms face vigorously!*

Yes, more experienced players than me (which is just about everyone) will have already guessed by now. What had happened is I had so much prestige (almost 1,500 by then – I hadn’t wanted to build anything new until I knew how much I would have left from the new raisings) that the box stayed green after the first click because I had enough for another. It’s a good thing I hadn’t crept over the 1,500 mark by then, or I may have wound up with three extra tribal hordes and no prestige left!

Let this error be warning to others! This is the kind of silly game mechanic and inattention error that (had this been a non-Ironman game) I would have fixed promptly and without any pangs of conscience: it’s not like Rurik would have ‘accidentally’ raised double the number of troops he wanted to because he tapped his finger twice on map of Garðaríki! But I will have to deal with it in-character as best I can. Here endeth the confession and explanation of Silly Error No 1 for 880 CE!

VUmYnh.jpg

Helgi was in his quarters when his father burst into the room without knocking.

“Son, what is the meaning of this? I wake this morning to see a host of five thousand men mustered outside the gates of Nygarðr! My prestige spent like water, for a host that is far greater than necessary! I had wanted to expand our holdings for the longer-term betterment of the army – and your own inheritance. But now I have less than half the clout I had been expecting to do it with. Explain yourself, man!”

Helgi was (as he recorded in his personal journal) taken aback and thoroughly surprised by his father’s presence so early in the morning – and by his angry reaction.

“But Father ... Sire … I thought you would be delighted by the speed with which we have assembled this host at your instructions! I am only doing what you asked of me.”

Now both men were non-plussed. There was an awkward pause as both tried to figure out what had happened.

Seeing this, Helgi picked up a note from his table and continued: “I have your note from last night here, Father. It was short, but I thought clear and urgent. ‘I have assessed we will need two Tribal Hosts to take on Ahma in
Luki. We must have overwhelming numbers – see to the mustering at once!’ Father, I am reading from your note - these were your exact words and there was no time to be lost – I issued the call on your behalf accordingly. We now have the greatest host this realm has ever fielded: when assembled and with Grimr and Vsemil’s men, we will have over 10,000 men under arms. We can do much with such a host, and beyond dealing with Ahma.”

Rurik – whose sense of justice and honour had not been set aside by his supposed ‘lunacy’ – was stopped in his tracks. His face when slack momentarily before he mustered his thoughts and replied.

“You are right, my son. My note was ambiguous. This is entirely my fault. I had been assessing the situation and had been thinking of our existing Tribal Army needing one more to match the two smaller religious hordes Ahma has brought with him. With our own far larger demesne levies and the extra thousand men brought by Grimr and Vsemil, plus our far superior quality of generalship and on favourable terrain, I thought that around 7,500 to their 4,300 would have been easily enough for a handsome victory. So, I had meant two tribal armies including our current one. But, in my haste and the late hour of the night, I did not make that clear. I have only myself to blame for this outcome.”

“But,” said Rurik, continuing after a short pause to gather his thoughts, “we can make a virtue out of this. Such a host can indeed, as you say, be used for far more than taking down Ahma – and it will make for even fewer casualties and quicker sieges when we move into his lands and have two holdings to reduce. We will take this Great Tribal Host and use it while we can, even as our neighbours begin to form their pacts against us.”

Later in April, more news of opposition to the Rurikid rise becomes known – this time domestically. News came through the Queen’s spy network in the recently acquired counties and Jarldoms of the south-east: the unhappy Jarl Tyuekezhut of Yaroslaval (formerly the High Chief of Merya until a few months before) had joined Chief Miemo’s independence faction. Again, not a surprise: it was inevitable that the disaffected former realm leaders would yearn for their freedom. It remained to be seen whether or when there would be a reckoning. It could be something that would be left to Helgi to contend with. Still, it was the price for expanding so quickly by subjugation of proud neighbours then trying to accommodate them within the new realm. It would just have to be managed – either with finesse and patience, or if necessary the axe!

2Js2Ke.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

May – June 880

By 2 May, Rurik’s Great Host had assembled in Luki. It was reorganised, with the two new tribal regiments sent to either wing. The trusty Sverker was left to command the right flank [given his additional skills to his simple martial rating of 15] while the flanking expert, military ace and former marshal from Normandie, Hrolfr [Martial 20], took command of the left flank. Every available commander of the realm was used to take charge of key companies within the great army. Snorri with Sverker on the right, Svetozar with Hrolfr on left. Vsemil would continue his sterling work with the original tribal company in the centre, under Rurik, while Þorsteinn was entrusted with command (and protection) of the strong Holmgardian tribal levy. The centre also contained all the other smaller tribal levy companies under Rurik’s direct command. The two allied contingents would slot in where they would, as they operated as sovereign bodies. All in all, Rurik was very pleased with the strength, balance and leadership of his force.

zPqVrI.jpg

Ch37 Q1: Subordinate Commanders. I’ve made an assumption here that having commanders for companies within a division adds their skills and bonuses in combat to those of the overall flank commanders. I’ve mentioned (briefly) doing this before and no-one demurred, but just thought I would seek confirmation and views as to whether it is worth the risk of exposing them to battle for whatever benefit may accrue (assuming they may also pick up battle-related bonus skill events, as well as the risk of maiming and death). Also, if I (in the future) want to check the effect during combat, can that be done by a mouse-over of some sort in the battle screen?

The Great Host set forth for Ingria that day, only to be met a day later with the news that Ingria had fallen and Nuyanza’s two young sons had been captured and imprisoned. They would be freed and Ingria avenged! Ahma was reportedly heading towards the capital in Holmgarðr but would have to cross the River Lovat first. Rurik was confident they would catch the Käkisalmian host before they could cross, with five days to spare. In the end, their timing was just right. Another week and it might have become another one of those cat-and-mouse games! The Belo Ozero contingent was commanded by Vsemil’s son Radogor, an up-and-coming warrior with good skills [Martial 17] in his first independent command. If the Smolenskian regiment had a commander, his name is lost to history.

DyMCF4.jpg

As the Great Host marched north, Rurik was met with more news of the gathering defensive pact: Gumarich handed him a simple note from the Chancellor. This was of direct interest, as Chief Lalli’s shipyards would be a logical next target. Tackling him would now bring additional consequences.

ETppZg.jpg

24 May brought news that Ahma had found a way to raise another thousand warriors back in Käkisalmi. Rurik was aware that Ahma had a vassal priest in Raivola who presumably could raise a levy and may have responded to a summons, but the source of the rest of these troops was something of a mystery, as Ahma's demesne levy was only around 300-plus and had already been summoned, while Käkisalmi was a single-county Chiefdom. And these did not look like mercenary raisings, while Ahma didn’t have the gold (55 at previous count) to hire them. The group was heading toward Ingria but would take over a month to arrive: the battle would be decided long before then. Rurik largely dismissed them from his mind, which was focused on Ahma himself.

The latest Battle of Ingria commenced on 26 May 880 – the largest clash of arms in the dozen years of Rurik’s reign. Almost as soon as combat commenced, it transpired that Ahma had placed his two holy warrior divisions on either flank – and neither with an assigned commander. He himself was stationed in the centre, with his small personal levy of just over 300 men. They were no Spartans and were quickly reduced in size and fled the field within minutes [ie before I could even pause for the screenshot!]. Given his very poor military skills [Martial 5], perhaps that was all unsurprising. This left the two flanks as a contest of rival hordes – but Garðariki had the edge in numbers and leadership, while Rurik was able to send his own centre division in to assist Sverker on the right almost immediately.

Ch37 Q2: Allies in Battle. So the two 'tethered' allied companies had joined the centre division once the battle began - does this always happen with allies when they join in a battle, does anyone know?

AGawlo.jpg

Ch37 Q3: Additional Troops. OK, it didn’t matter too much at the time given the numbers and the fact the main battle was about to start, so I didn’t dig any further then (and it is too late to now), but any idea where these additional troops may have come from? Are there events etc that Ahma might have benefited from? It would just be useful to know, as it could happen again when the numbers are far closer.

Ch37 Q4: Nominal Command? Another little aside and question here, but you may notice on the screenshot that the blue crossed swords symbol of the allied Belo Ozero (led by Radogor) rather than Rurik’s Garðarikian bear is shown for the Great Host here. Is that significant? Does it mean he is leading instead? Or some other consideration I should be aware of? It may also explain something which happened shortly afterwards, though that could be a coincidence.

36CNzb.jpg

Ah, the clash of arms. The sweet smells and sights of the battlefield. Blut und Schlacht on the grand scale!

By 31 May, the enemy’s left had been broken and all attention now focused on their right, which continued to resist stoutly. But it could not last and, by 4 June, all three enemy divisions were fleeing, with the Garðarikians in pursuit.

l4hir8.jpg

While the combat continued, back in Nygarðr Helgi and Jorunn had another son born to them – making it three now. While good news on the one hand, this profusion of sons may create similar problems down the tract for Helgi as would follow Rurik’s passing – if the gavelkind inheritance system could not be changed by that (hopefully very distant) time.

lUjQsz.jpg

During the pursuit, with the victory all but won and the enemy in headlong retreat, something most unexpected happened: young Radogor Vsemilovich Slovensky, son of the Cleansing Flame, was felled by an arrow while leading a charge by his Belo Ozero troops against an enemy rear-guard detachment. Rurik suspended his normal disdain for all Slovenskys and Slavs: the promising young man had been killed fighting for his King, at the head of an allied contingent which had answered the call to arms, and on the same battlefield where is father lead one of the main regiments under Rurik’s command. Though, for once it made him glad he now kept Helgi at home training troops: he would never again risk both himself and his heir on the battlefield at the same time.

Ep7PGE.jpg

q72aFQ.jpg

One of the Slav’s heathen priests performed a moving ceremony in the field to mourn Radogor’s glorious death in battle. Rurik hoped the young man might find his way to whatever the heathen Slav equivalent of Valhalla might be, if they had one.

tcuQrp.jpg

Vsemil was so enraged he decided one sword was no longer sufficient for his work – he would Cleanse the Finns with two! Giving no mercy was already his byword. Let us simply observe that he pursued the enemy with even more vigour than usual.

Victory in Ingria was formally declared on 13 June. Almost 1,500 enemy troops had be killed, for the loss of only 173 of the Great Host – one of them the late and lamented Radogor. [I wonder out loud whether the crest of Belo Ozero being seen as the ‘lead’ one in the battle screenshots meant he was the one exposed to being killed this time? Has Rurik dodged a bullet (or we should say arrow in this milieu) that hit Radogor instead?]

7iCkkO.jpg

Ahma had left a small garrison to hold Ingria: outnumbering them more than 100-1, Rurik had no hesitation in ordering an immediate assault. A day later, Ingria was back in friendly hands. Only eight men were lost, while the entire garrison was put to the sword.

SYf1Sf.jpg

The advance to Käkisalmi was ordered straight away, chasing the retreating Ahma and scaring off the ‘Kexholmian’ army that had gathered there – they headed off north-east to neutral Karjala instead. There would be no opposition to take advantage of the river defence that could have been mustered.

2X2LAS.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

This ended the first phase of the Garðarikian War to Conquer Käkisalmi, with the next seeing Rurik’s 9,000 men and a further 1,000 from his vassals taking the fight to Ahma’s heartland. A Military Folkmote would be held on the campaign trail to consider the questions raised from this first phase of the campaign [and bearing in mind that second phase has already been played through].

Questions

Ch37 Q1: Subordinate Commanders. I’ve made an assumption here that having commanders for companies within a division adds their skills and bonuses in combat to those of the overall flank commanders. I’ve mentioned (briefly) doing this before and no-one demurred, but just thought I would seek confirmation and views as to whether it is worth the risk of exposing them to battle for whatever benefit may accrue (assuming they may also pick up battle-related bonus skill events, as well as the risk of maiming and death). Also, if I (in the future) want to check the effect during combat, can that be done by a mouse-over of some sort in the battle screen?

Ch37 Q2: Allies in Battle. So the two 'tethered' allied companies had joined the centre division once the battle began - does this always happen with allies when they join in a battle, does anyone know?

Ch37 Q3: Additional Troops. OK, it didn’t matter too much at the time given the numbers and the fact the main battle was about to start, so I didn’t dig any further then (and it is too late to now), but any idea where these additional troops may have come from? Are there events etc that Ahma might have benefited from? It would just be useful to know, as it could happen again when the numbers are far closer.

Ch37 Q4: Nominal Command? Another little aside and question here, but you may notice on the screenshot that the blue crossed swords symbol of the allied Belo Ozero (led by Radogor) rather than Rurik’s Garðarikian bear is shown for the Great Host here. Is that significant? Does it mean he is leading instead? Or some other consideration I should be aware of? It may also explain something which happened shortly afterwards, though that could be a coincidence.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

SFeWbY.jpg

The glories of battle are many – will Ahma be able to muster his forces – or new allies – for another great battle? Or will it be the boredom and squalor of siege warfare from here on?

Last edited:
So anti-blobing is setting in with defensive pacts against the Ruriks.
And I think that is a good thing in a game. And have no fear, my own future stuff-ups will help the AI even more!! :oops::D

The levies were dismissed on 12 January 880, immediately after the victory against Merya. First, Rurik cast his eyes to the north, one of the suggestions from the last Þing. Apart from requiring a long voyage around the top of Scandinavia to get to anywhere useful from there, it was found these northern reaches were almost completely bereft of shipyards. Rurik sought facilities already built that could be used and developed and were ideal for raiding in the Baltic and Western Europa.
northern wastes, i did not expect there to be this desolated, sorry for the wrong direction

It is also in the general direction of the Holy Sites of the north
good call, and also in the de jure scandinavian kingdom/empire which is perhaps the second most probable one to add to our list of titles after Rus

The Chancellor left. Rurik pondered his map, wondering where this would lead.
which religions do we have as neighbors?

Ch37 Learning Point 1: An embarrassment of riches.
I guess now you have to make the best out of this huge army and keep on conquering until you are the worst boy around :D

either with finesse and patience, or if necessary the axe!
I like to hedge my bets so on the one hand trying to befriend their heirs and groom them in a way that will make them like my (or my heir's) rule, on the other hand i wait for my ruler to die and my heir to become ruler so that the disloyal would rebel and get decapitated

to be honest i am not sure about this, i always had to have at least 2 armies to rule so never had the luxury of putting commanders in command of regiments so no experience about this.

making it three now
good to have some spares :)

I wonder out loud whether the crest of Belo Ozero being seen as the ‘lead’ one in the battle screenshots meant he was the one exposed to being killed this time?
I think this is probably just a coincidence but i am not speaking with any authority, just gut feeling. all commanders taking place in battle has some chance to die, and i do not think it would increase with whoever gets to put his coat of arms in the battle screen but i might be wrong too. as to why he got to put his coat of arms there, i have no idea i thought it was decided by whoever has biggest martial attribute but i guess that isn't the case.

no idea about this

I will be very interested in the answers to those questions ... because I don't know.

I have done the same thing regarding calling warriors from prestige ... kinda annoying.

I have no insight to offer for the questions this time.

Unfortunately, the inner workings of the battle system elude me a bit; beyond the general combat bonuses, the available "literature" on the subject is fairly sparse when you get into this fine-grained level of detail.

The one benefit I've seen from assigning sub-unit commanders is that if the overall flank leader dies, one of the other commanders in that flank can step in, mitigating the loss of the deceased's Martial score bonus. It would be logical to assume that they do provide some small bonus to the regiment they're assigned to, though the overall tactical direction of the flank seems to be absolutely under the flank commander's control.

As for allied army stacking preferences: If I had to make an educated guess, I'd assume it's down to the way the AI fills out its flanks in general. By default, the first regiment goes into an army's center, and I'd assume that allied armies retain whatever internal structure they have going in alongside another army, i.e. their regiment will commit to whatever flank they were sorted into within their own army. It's not really something I've ever paid much attention to myself, honestly.

A magnificent battle my lord king but there are some powerful adversaries aligning themselves against you...

My battle knowledge starts and stops with "overwhelming numbers".

I too have multiple clicked that damned triball army button lol

I have done the same thing regarding calling warriors from prestige ... kinda annoying.
Nice to have a little company in my embarrassment there. But wait and see how I manage to compound the misery later (more that is than doing it with Ironman set, which was already a bit sad). :eek:

Military Folkmote – June 880 (a summary of advice from Chapter 37)
Military Folkmote – June 880 (a summary of advice from Chapter 37)

Looks like these questions were a bit arcane this time round. Ah well, will have to leave them to the game’s mysteries. If I discover any further answers (or anyone else has any) I’ll ensure they are floated in subsequent feedback.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

General Comments
So anti-blobing is setting in with defensive pacts against the Ruriks.
As mentioned before, yes, I think that’s a good thing in principle. But the next chapter will show I’m a far more effective anti-blobbing factor that anything the AI can do!
northern wastes, i did not expect there to be this desolated, sorry for the wrong direction
Ah well, it was worth a check. Maybe they will have more in the future.
good call, and also in the de jure scandinavian kingdom/empire which is perhaps the second most probable one to add to our list of titles after Rus
May as well get moving that way early!
which religions do we have as neighbors?
Slavs mainly in Russia, Suomi in the north and the Baltic states. That’s mainly it for now.
I guess now you have to make the best out of this huge army and keep on conquering until you are the worst boy around :D
That’s the plan, anyway!
I like to hedge my bets so on the one hand trying to befriend their heirs and groom them in a way that will make them like my (or my heir's) rule, on the other hand i wait for my ruler to die and my heir to become ruler so that the disloyal would rebel and get decapitated
I’ll try a bit of all that and see what they do before their heirs take over.
good to have some spares :)
Though not too many under this Gavelkind inheritance. But yes, better than running out and losing!
I will be very interested in the answers to those questions ... because I don't know.
Looks like that’s most of us!
It is at that! In part my own fault for going Ironman when I didn’t know the game. But done is done.
I have no insight to offer for the questions this time.
Looks like they’re real posers this time.
Unfortunately, the inner workings of the battle system elude me a bit; beyond the general combat bonuses, the available "literature" on the subject is fairly sparse when you get into this fine-grained level of detail.
Too right.
A magnificent battle my lord king but there are some powerful adversaries aligning themselves against you...
My battle knowledge starts and stops with "overwhelming numbers".
Haha! Not a bad precept when it can be managed.
Seems I’m in some pretty august company, then!

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

to be honest i am not sure about this, i always had to have at least 2 armies to rule so never had the luxury of putting commanders in command of regiments so no experience about this.
OK.
The one benefit I've seen from assigning sub-unit commanders is that if the overall flank leader dies, one of the other commanders in that flank can step in, mitigating the loss of the deceased's Martial score bonus. It would be logical to assume that they do provide some small bonus to the regiment they're assigned to, though the overall tactical direction of the flank seems to be absolutely under the flank commander's control.
That’s something, at least.

Summary: then I’ll just assume there is a benefit without knowing exactly what it may be (will see if any clues emerge in the future). Otherwise there would not be much point in being able to assign them.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

As for allied army stacking preferences: If I had to make an educated guess, I'd assume it's down to the way the AI fills out its flanks in general. By default, the first regiment goes into an army's center, and I'd assume that allied armies retain whatever internal structure they have going in alongside another army, i.e. their regiment will commit to whatever flank they were sorted into within their own army. It's not really something I've ever paid much attention to myself, honestly.

Summary: I’ll try to keep an eye on it in the future and see if any pattern emerges. So far, they’ve all gone up the middle that I’ve seen.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

no idea about this
Doesn’t look like any of us do!

Summary: Another mystery of the game. Will see if that kind of thing happens again.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

I think this is probably just a coincidence but i am not speaking with any authority, just gut feeling. all commanders taking place in battle has some chance to die, and i do not think it would increase with whoever gets to put his coat of arms in the battle screen but i might be wrong too. as to why he got to put his coat of arms there, i have no idea i thought it was decided by whoever has biggest martial attribute but i guess that isn't the case.
As good a guess as any!

Summary: Another one I’ll try to keep an eye on in the future and again, see if there’s any science to it.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Well, those questions seemed a little obscure this time round, but that’s OK. May be a day or two before the next episode is up. I have to psych myself up to write it!

nnwAQZ.jpg

Loki lies in wait for Rurik: what does he have in store?

I reckon so. :eek::oops:
peru game is not going so great either

when we left, the realm was in a great condition with a huge army. did rurik suddenly die and realm fell apart with the tribal armies leaving? that's a lot of suspense now.

well all countries have ups and downs so i think in the long run all will be good, so don't feel bad about it :)

peru game is not going so great either

when we left, the realm was in a great condition with a huge army. did rurik suddenly die and realm fell apart with the tribal armies leaving? that's a lot of suspense now.

well all countries have ups and downs so i think in the long run all will be good, so don't feel bad about it :)
Not the end of the world, but you will see some anguished dismay. Like for the world cup game. :(

Summary: then I’ll just assume there is a benefit without knowing exactly what it may be (will see if any clues emerge in the future). Otherwise there would not be much point in being able to assign them.

Okay missed these military questions. Here's what I know and here's my guesses.

I think the only benefit of sub commanders in any sense is that should the unlikely occurence of an army commader dying in battle, theres someone to take over immediately. However since this usually happens when a flank or army is overrun or caught out... it should make no difference really.

CKII's military comes from hiw good you are at playing the rest of the game. Overwhleming numbers, decent commanders, good terrain. This is whst you need to win. Missing anything means praying to the RNG. But when you consider that the game is in one respect fundamentally about loyalty and individual power to command and draw up soldiers, this makes sense.

In this game more than any other Paradox title, you only go to war when you know you can win. Or you think you can weaken an enemy distracted sonewhere else enough whilst still getting away with a white peace. Risky wars here are really dumb for the most part.

Okay missed these military questions. Here's what I know and here's my guesses.

I think the only benefit of sub commanders in any sense is that should the unlikely occurence of an army commader dying in battle, theres someone to take over immediately. However since this usually happens when a flank or army is overrun or caught out... it should make no difference really.

CKII's military comes from hiw good you are at playing the rest of the game. Overwhleming numbers, decent commanders, good terrain. This is whst you need to win. Missing anything means praying to the RNG. But when you consider that the game is in one respect fundamentally about loyalty and individual power to command and draw up soldiers, this makes sense.

In this game more than any other Paradox title, you only go to war when you know you can win. Or you think you can weaken an enemy distracted sonewhere else enough whilst still getting away with a white peace. Risky wars here are really dumb for the most part.

while I agree with the general take on things, I frequently see "only numbers matter" related to CK2 military matters. I find that not completely correct. Of course having the bigger army would give the upper hand, but battle events, so directly army composition and indirectly building setup is very important. Which units to not mix with which units, or which units to mix only up to a certain percentage of certain units, or which units to use together for synergy; it is quite complicated but I believe in the end it is rewarding.

Chapter 38: Twelve Days that Shook the Realm (14 June – 9 November 880)
Chapter 38: Twelve Days that Shook the Realm (14 June – 9 November 880)

Previously, on Blut und Schlacht Rurik had unwittingly summoned twice the number of additional tribal warriors he had intended, but determine to use them for as long as he could; he not only sought new shipbuilding facilities for the future of the realm – but decided it was time to start pushing west and north, closer to the Germanic Holy Sites of Scandinavia; but the recent activity had started prompting some of his neighbours to form a defensive pact against him, which would increase the cost of some of the further conquests he had planned.

Author’s Note. As foreshadowed, a bit of a blunder by yours truly has put something of a dent in Rurik’s ambitions – but he is nothing if not persistent! What follows was going to be a long chapter, where immediate events would be followed by consideration of what should come next, to be put to the Þing. But put together, it was just getting a bit too long to be manageable and indeed digestible. So I have broken it into two pieces. The first just goes through the events leading up to the end of October – the second part of the campaign against Chief Ahma of Käkisalmi and its immediate aftermath. The next chapter will follow shortly (I hope – it may have to wait until after a short trip that will take me away on Friday and Saturday. Will see how things go).

This piece below is really just a description of events, with no specific questions posed, though comments are very welcome, of either commiseration or ‘haha fool-boy’ variety! The second will be the one contemplating next steps and posing the serious questions for the next Þing, which will convene after that one.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

June-September 880

Following the victory in Ingria on 13 June and the assault and liberation of Chief Nuyanza’s keep the next day, the rest of June saw the Great Tribal Host marching north from Ingria to visit bloody vengeance on Chief Ahma’s holdings in Käkisalmi.

In early July, another potential target – Estonia – joined the anti-Rurikid pact. A smart move on their part!

3wS58c.jpg

As he travelled north with the army, Rurik was inspired by the summer countryside and the companionship of his faithful hound Hunter. So much so, he changed his main ‘extra-curricular’ focus in life back to hunting. With the promise of much fighting ahead and his desire to maintain good health as he aged, he yearned once again for the forests of his youth. Gumarich der Schreiber noted how the hunts on the march north that summer seemed to reinvigorate Rurik.

AyUDRG.jpg

Rurik had often been away on campaign or loaded down by the worries of creating and expanding a great realm. But now, his children were starting to grow up: word came through from Nygarðr that his daughter Asa, having turned 12, needed a new focus for her education. She was a very conscientious girl – if a bit devious – but should do well as a manager of money: she would focus on stewardship.

3aFQ1W.jpg

The siege of Ahma’s tribal holding started in mid-July and had barely done so when bandits started harrying the siege camps. But wanting to keep troops in hand for the long term (and knowing the tribal armies would not be replaced when killed), Rurik decided to wait the defenders out rather than assaulting. It shouldn’t take too long. At this point, Ahma’s main force was still fleeing to the north-west, while his other force (of somewhat mysterious origins) lurked to the north-east. Neither had anything close to the strength to interfere with the siege.

aOMH00.jpg

A former foe of Rurik’s – High Chief Karhu of Veps, from whom Zaozerye had been carved back some years before – was the next Suomenusko country to join the anti-Rurik defensive pact.

s8XVdt.jpg

Siege routine continued until the end of August, when the hold fell. The next holding in line was the Temple of Raivola. It had a larger garrison but few fortifications. It shouldn’t take much longer than a month to reduce. By this stage, Ahma’s force had finished its rout and was moving from Pohjanmaa to Karjala to link both his groups together. Little good it would do him.

rmjUvs.jpg

Ugra was the next to join the Suomi pact against Rurik in mid-September. The siege of Raivola continued uneventfully.

uPtrON.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

October 880

Latgale joined the pact at the beginning of October, even though the perception of Rurik’s threat to the region was slowly decreasing.

vy9Gu0.jpg

In mid-October, Chief Vsemil stayed back after a meeting of the leading officers of the army.

“King Rurik, a word with you, if I may,” he started hesitantly his ‘peg leg’ not unduly hindering his movement – nor fierceness as a commander and warrior, if it did slow him down a little.

“I know we have not always seen eye to eye on things, but I feel in recent years I have come to appreciate the benefits of a strong dynasty to rule this expanded realm and the role you have played in building it. I hear good words back from my people in Belo Ozero – your man Hrörekr is a persuasive and diligent fellow.”

“Why thank you, Vsemil. While we may never be boon companions and we differ on religious matters, there is enough we have shared these last years to strengthen the bond. I appreciate your words and deeds these last years.” Rurik could not forget those previous times when Vsemil failed to heed the call to war, but he had fought as a commander and now sent his levy when called and lost a son on the campaign. That was surely enough to allow Vsemil some leeway for his past failures and provocations.

Vsemil nodded and left before the conversation could peter out and the silence become uncomfortable. But Rurik was left thinking this was far from the most troublesome Slovenksy going around the realm at the moment!

22Bky9.jpg

But the good news seemed to start taking a leave of absence around then. The next day, a disease outbreak killed hundreds of the besieging troops (almost 700, by estimates of the time). Ahma had reunited his forces by then and was on the way south-east, no doubt to attempt a raid on Rurik’s lands. But the siege – and the war – would be over well before they could threaten any Garðarikian lands.

zGPUP6.jpg

ZsJOqp.jpg

Yes, it’s these guys again – back in force at the siege camp of Käkisalmi.

The next day, as Rurik read the reports of the deaths cause by the short-lived outbreak, Gumarich appeared in his quarters (Ahma’s old personal chambers in the Käkisalmi keep). He bore a sealed message from Chancellor Hrörekr.

As the king accepted the message cannister and began to unroll the letter, he remarked that he thought it might be some more good news from the Chancellor:

“A sign from the Gods that their favour has once again returned after this recent pestilence.” Alas, it was not to be.

mWr29O.jpg

ASVcJk.jpg

Þorolfr is sent on his way to the Gods in Ladoga, where he was proselytising in the name of the True Faith. Rurik, to his great sadness, was on campaign and unable to attend.

Gumarich later recorded his memories of this moment for posterity:

“The Great King Rurik’s face did turn the colour of grey ashes. The light left his eyes. It did not return for weeks afterwards, I fear.”

No account from Rurik himself of this period exists. His journal entries stopped abruptly after a single despondent entry that day:

“My greatest friend, confessor, spiritual guide and Seer, the wise and venerable Þorolfr of Tikhvin, has left to be by Odin’s side. I am bereft. All seems dark. We must have – I must have – done something to offend the Gods. We were of an age – and now he is gone. He was the best man of the realm: Odin, you have many wise Gods and Men to advise you! I needed him and his advice, just for another few years. He saw me through the Hel that followed my time in Pisa. What shall I do without him?”

A new Godi of Tikhvin inherited Þorolfr’s title the next day. He was a master scholar and theologian – perhaps even a shade more learned than his predecessor. But he was a strange mix of different traits: trusting, yet deceitful and cruel.

u1xQKz.jpg

While he may well serve admirably as Godi and was the logical choice also for Seer of Garðaríki (to which role he was appointed), he was not the good and virtuous man Þorolfr had been. Nor did he have the age and experience, though he seemed very loyal to his king. And for now, he was far away and an unknown quantity to Rurik.

He secluded himself in Ahma’s old chamber and was not seen for the rest of that day or the next. Servants left meals at his door – some we eaten, others not.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

On 19 October, Gumarich knocked on his door, hoping some good news would gain him entry.

“My Liege, may I enter? I have good tidings!”

“Do you tell me that Odin has returned Þorolfr to me? I had a strange dream of him last night. He was gone, but then I met him again. I could not tell – or no longer remember - if it was in this world or the next.”

“No, My Liege, I’m afraid the Godi’s state remains as advised. But may I enter? Your commanders bring news.”

“Very well, if you must."

Gumarich entered – and liked not what he saw. The king wore the same clothes he had two days before and looked like he may not have slept since then either. No fire was lit in the hearth, even as the autumn chill descended once again. The king looked at him with bloodshot, bleary eyes.

“What is this news you bring, my good Secretary?” Rurik’s voice is husky, his demeanour lethargic. Old dishes clatter as he shifts himself upright from the bed in which he had been reclining – but clearly not resting.

“The Gods favour us again, My Liege! Raivola has fallen today. The infidel temple is now a Germanic place of worship. The men rejoice! Ahma offers his unconditional surrender!” Gumarich tried to make all this as energising as he could. But the effect is not what he had hoped.

“I would not be so certain Gumarich. Fate conspires against me. My enemies circle. I have not the energy to deal with all this. I empower you to see to the terms with Ahma. I do not wish to be disturbed again.” Rurik turns away at this, what should have been the sweet taste of victory as ashes in his mouth.

Gumarich left, crestfallen, to do his King’s bidding and to note the sad state of his beloved king in his confidential journal. His private musings, only just now translated from the Rurikid scroll trove, shed new light on an obscure passage of Rurikid history that has been the subject of much speculation for centuries.

1Hblhp.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Time Flies

And then Rurik could not be roused from his room for the next twelve days. The door was barred; none gained entry. He would take only food and water: anyone who tried to enter when he emerged to grab these necessaries was met with a fierce snarl and a brandished Hálsbitr.

Tempus Fugit. OK, what actually happened at this point, with victory won; all the usual victory screens up ready for the old F11; then either save and exit or do the next arrangements to roll the Great Tribal Host onto the next target; I had to get up and do something. I paused the game and came back just a few minutes later …

… or, more accurately, I thought I had paused the game. Somehow, I had not. Again, this was the second lapse of concentration during this session (the first was more a newbie mistake with the tribal army double click). I virtually never do this! I can’t remember the last time I did, on any of the games I’ve played recently. But I did this time. Nothing to do with being new to CK2. No game event or madness: just a good old-fashioned stuff-up.

Now, normally this may be inconvenient, but at this particular juncture? In Ironman, so it couldn’t be recovered? Having done that irritating double-click so that I now had 1,500 prestige points worth of Tribal Army in the field? By now, many of you will have guessed what happened next. I have used Rurik’s ‘lunacy’/PTSD and the recent death of Þorolfr to provide a narrative explanation of this non-event-related passage. But it wasn’t the game – just your authAAR’s little error. For the full consequences, read on.

Rurik’s seclusion went on for twelve days. Twelve days that had major implications for the realm and for Rurik’s reputation at the time. He finally emerged on 31 October, dishevelled and somewhat disoriented, but otherwise largely back to ‘normal’. He opened his door and quietly asked a guard to bring Gumarich. And a horn of the strongest brew in old Ahma’s cellar.

0oJvvV.jpg

“Whatever it is, make it strong, or I’ll strike you down where you stand!” "Yes, My King!” A few minutes later … “Ah, that is better!”

Gumarich appeared soon after Rurik had refreshed himself with the vilest rot-gut in the keep.

“Ah, Gumarich, the Gods entreat me to return to the realm of men after all. Now, fill me in on what has happened. We will summon the Great Host and march on to our next unfortunate neighbour and relieve him of his shipyards!”

Gumarich was aghast. It fell to him to explain what had gone on while the king had been indisposed.

KiROHP.jpg

Gumarich was shocked. “Ah, My Liege, best charge that horn again. Much has happened – and not happened – while you have, ah, communed with the Gods.”

“First, the good news, My Liege. The county is now part of Garðaríki and has a more appropriately Germanic name. This keep and the county as a whole are now known as Kexholm.”

“Yes, that’s good Gumarich. Now, what is it you are not telling me,” said Rurik as he put the map of the newly acquired county the Secretary had given him on the table.

“Ah, refill that horn again My Liege, and we will walk down the corridor and look out to the south, where our army is mustered.”

Rurik now had a very queasy feeling in his stomach and it was not caused by the alcohol. In fact, he suddenly felt the need for more. He drained the horn and refilled it, as Gumarich had suggested, and followed him out of the chamber.

As he gazed out to the south of the keep, he immediately realised what it was his scribe did not have the heart to put into words. Where, two weeks ago, there had been a mighty host of warrior, now barely a fifth or the former strength was present. As the blood drained from his face, he sought to replace the loss from the horn. And just looked at his secretary with one raised eyebrow.

ApX9rI.jpg

“My Liege, when you could not be roused, the officers met. None had the authority – nor the boldness – to declare any new war after the peace with Ahma, as none knew your mind on the matter and the rising pact against us complicated the issue. So no declaration was made. All three tribal armies lost interest and wandered off not long after. I am sorry, My King.”

Rurik stood silently for some time, cursing his inattention. How could he have just let the time slip by, at such a crucial juncture? The fruits of his prestige left to lie rotting on the ground, food for scavengers. A great opportunity had slipped away. If not a disaster for the realm, certainly a personal one for him.

“So, my old friend, Loki – as always – has had the last laugh. I should have expected nothing less. We do indeed have the Gods’ attention, but that is always a dangerous thing. The last time I made a pact with one, I got what I wished but not in the way I had imagined – and paid a heavy price for it.” The pain of Pisa once again deepened the lines in his worn and weathered face.

“But, it didn’t kill me then and this latest setback won’t kill me now. Odin lost an eye but gained wisdom. I lost my manhood but gained freedom. I have lost focus and a mighty host but have gained peace and two new shipyards. Let us get on with the work of the realm.”

Gumarich wrote that at that moment, he had never admired his brilliant but tortured king as much as he did then. Many a man would have raged, lashed out, given up or retreated into tyranny and accusation. Rurik simply saw it as another lesson and just punishment from the Gods. He found no words, but simply nodded deeply to his King and awaited further direction.

“What else must be attended to, Gumarich?”

“The new Seer, Godi Styrbjörn, advises that the temple of Raivola, now a shrine to the True Faith, must have a Germanic Godi of good standing to lead it. A search of the realm turned up no seer of sufficient standing for the role.”

“Then let us see who else from our good Germanic Norse brethren in other realms may wish for such a promotion.”

“My King, during your time of introspection, our new Seer has performed that task and has come up with someone he believes will fit the bill admirably.” Gumarich handed over a scroll with the relevant description of the proposed appointee.

“Indeed, the seer has found someone I may well have appointed to his own role had he been with us earlier. This fellow Haukr looks to be both brilliant virtuous. Let us see if he will join us.” It seemed the new Seer was not without his uses. The invitation was sent by fast messenger.

hPUGzf.jpg

"And there is a suggestion that we could expand the shipyards here in Kexholm. Though it would take much prestige to att5ract the craftsmen to do it. There is also the question of who may inherit this county later, when the building of these additional ships becomes most relevant. If not Prince Helgi as your heir, then another may gain them and may not be motivated to send the vessels if asked to."

"We will defer this question for now. Perhaps I could grant the county to Helgi now and build the shipyard for him? There is also the question of how many extra ships would be gained."

M2WQQ6.jpg

Just a quick confirmation: I'm assuming it would allow an additional seven ships to be built, making 13 (6 for the Level 1 facility and 7 for the Level 2), not just adding one to make it 7, which wouldn't make sense. But just to be sure.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

November 880

The levies were dismissed and Rurik pondered his next steps – too shocked by recent events to think clearly [well, I certainly was, anyway :eek:]. And his two most likely next targets had joined this accursed pact against him, at a time when his once tribal army had melted away. He would take a few days to consider things a little further.

Over the next nine days, a series of messengers arrived from the Chancellor with news of diplomatic developments. Whether it was the conclusion of the war or the dismissal of the tribal army, it seemed his neighbours were not so adamantly opposed to him as they had been. First, Latagle, then Estonia, Livonia and Mari (the originators of the grouping) left the pact that had so recently formed. Perhaps more would follow? And this meant more options would open for his diminished forces. But should it be war and conquest or peace and raiding?

WoF30b.jpg

At its height, the pact had included Mari, Livonia, Uusimaa, Estonia, Veps, Ugra and Latgale. Of those, only Uusimaa, Veps and Ugra remained.

EqhP4N.jpg

In this map, current members of the pact against Rurik are marked by red banners, recent former members by blue.

ROBtBn.jpg

The current (reduced state) of the anti-Rurik defensive pact.

And on 9 November, Haukr arrived in Kexholm. A very polite note was passed into the King, who asked to see the new Godi for a quick meeting before he headed off to Raivola. The man seemed very pleased with new appointment. Rurik himself was ambivalent, but certainly admired his talents. The death of Þorolfr had also opened up a vacancy for the appointment of a Court Physician and now there was a second candidate to choose from. He felt Haukr slightly more qualified for the job and sufficiently loyal. Styrbjörn had his Seer’s appointment: Haukr would be Physician. The man left well enough pleased to take up his new title and clean out any filthy heathen remnants from the newly Germanic temple of Raivola.

8RYtTN.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

So, as mentioned at the start, no specific questions at this point but comments and discussion are always welcome. And, in case anyone was going to have a good laugh at my expense and you’re quite welcome to. I’m over it now. Really! And Loki has beaten you to it anyway:

XqJO5h.jpg

The trickster Loki is well pleased with his handiwork! His laugh haunts Rurik's dreams.
The next episode will contain a review of potential targets, troops available and a discussion among Rurik's remaining senior officers about them. The advice of the wise will then be sought before next steps are taken.

Last edited: