• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
... without the chronicle repeatedly pointing it out, I would have completely forgotten that Eilif earned the nickname of the Wise. That... doesn't fit him. :eek:

Like all those people stuck with "the Unready" or "the Fat", even though they turn out to be hugely successful rulers.

• 1Like
Reactions:
A great summary of a long and eventful reign! The Dark Fylkir was surely one of the most interesting characters of this dynasty!

What are the stats of the new emperor's wife?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Eilif II will go down as one of the most conflicted and least understood rulers of the Dynasty. Homosexual but father of ten. Head of Germanic faith but worshiper of Hel. Everyone will find something to hate about the man and most will find something to like. He can comfortably stand on stage with successors like Stalin and Catherine the Great. Thank you for reviewing the life of Fylkir Eilif II. May the world never see his like again.

• 1Love
Reactions:
I will turn to this AAR in coming days, starting with comment feedback and then play-through, after my next TT update is done. But in the meantime ...

A community announcement, last couple of days to vote in the The 2021 Yearly AARland Year-end AwAARds graciously hosted by @coz1 (he extended the deadline to Tuesday 1 March).

As always, no expectation to vote for one of my AARs - and there are plenty of different categories to votes for. It can sometimes be hard to decide which one to put an AAR in (for example, I see all my AARs as primarily 'Gameplay', though some also have major narrative elements). All authAARs recognised with a vote will greatly appreciate the effort.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Finally getting round to reading this AAR, and I'm loving it. What I particularly like, is that you're chronicling the stuff that goes wrong, as well as the successes. I always find the AARs detailing the disasters that CKII throws up (in fairness, in my games, these are usually down to my own ineptitude rather than anything generated by the computer, but I need something to blame...) more interesting than the "...and then I was amazing and conquered the world" type tales.

Great work.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Finally getting round to reading this AAR, and I'm loving it. What I particularly like, is that you're chronicling the stuff that goes wrong, as well as the successes. I always find the AARs detailing the disasters that CKII throws up (in fairness, in my games, these are usually down to my own ineptitude rather than anything generated by the computer, but I need something to blame...) more interesting than the "...and then I was amazing and conquered the world" type tales.

Great work.
Thanks so much @iain_a_wilson :) I hope the AAR can continue to entertain as you track through its development. As I always say when a new reader pops up in the comments, feel not only free but encouraged (though certainly not pressured or expected) to offer any comments or questions along the way. I will always respond separately in comment feedback to help avoid spoiling.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Some comment feedback from the Eilif retrospective chronicle chapter first, then I'll start working on the next chapter, which I think may be a shorter one dealing with the immediate post-succession period, setting up the new Emperor and Fylkir's reign.
Always love the book. Funny to read it - all the giants and comets.
Glad you did! And I also like the little strange events they include. :)
An excellent summary! And I understand that feeling of knowing people are reading your work. I know that any and all comments I get give that little boost to keep it going. Can never know what everyone thinks, but that engagement with a piece of work you did is a nice feeling.
Thanks very much. Comments are gold, indeed.
The long shadow of Hel
Very long. I wonder if the Fellowship will now recede into the background or still exert influence on events under a very different Fylkir.
... without the chronicle repeatedly pointing it out, I would have completely forgotten that Eilif earned the nickname of the Wise. That... doesn't fit him. :eek:

Like all those people stuck with "the Unready" or "the Fat", even though they turn out to be hugely successful rulers.
It must have been a triumph of state propaganda! 'The Terrible' or 'Son of Hel' would have been far more appropriate. Agree re nicknames that people outgrow or never even deserved (for good or ill). I do like 'the Tenacious' for Styrbjorn though - that is fitting.
A great summary of a long and eventful reign! The Dark Fylkir was surely one of the most interesting characters of this dynasty!

What are the stats of the new emperor's wife?
Many thanks - despite its many hidden evils, he did achieve much and must rank as one of the most significant early rulers. Will see if I did a screenshot of the new Emperor's wife, as that bit was played through a little after the Dark Fylkir's death.
Eilif II will go down as one of the most conflicted and least understood rulers of the Dynasty. Homosexual but father of ten. Head of Germanic faith but worshiper of Hel. Everyone will find something to hate about the man and most will find something to like. He can comfortably stand on stage with successors like Stalin and Catherine the Great. Thank you for reviewing the life of Fylkir Eilif II. May the world never see his like again.
Very much agree re the assessment on Eilif. The history of his reign has recently had to be revised in a major way, given the direct evidence of his secretive Hel activities was only recently discovered by historians. Up to that time, and given the antiquity of the period, this dark side was only ever hinted at in occasional references.

His son will be determined to be a worthy Fylkir and Emperor - at least to start with (we must see how he develops). He is certainly no Hel-worshipper, anyway. Eilif the Terrible will become even more of a figure of awe and revulsion now his true story has been revealed!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 142: A New Perspective (18 to 28 March 992)
Chapter 142: A New Perspective (18 to 28 March 992)

Previously, on Blut und Schlacht
the reign of the Dark Fylkir, Emperor Eilif II, had finally come to an end just as another decisive battle was being won in the Great Holy War against France at Nemours while a Russian mercenary force closed in to confront the Cumanian rebellion in the east. The new Fylkir and Emperor Styrbjörn II ‘the Tenacious’ must now take stock, deal with immediate succession matters and then consider the initial course of his new reign.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

1. Family Matters

When Styrbjörn took the imperial crown on 18 March 992 AD at the age of 32, he had three sons to his name. The two eldest – Helgi and Gunnarr – were born of his wife, the new Empress Killu. The third, Borkvard, was the child of him and his concubine Asa. Styrbjörn’s current ambition was to see his heir grow to adulthood – which would take more than seven more years.

v7fahM.jpg

With his extant holdings and those inherited from his father, he controlled 13 – five more than his vassals were comfortable with. He would have to deal with that shortly.

Empress Killu had been married to Styrbjörn without Eilif’s advance knowledge or approval, due to inattentiveness and a failure to impose legal control over his heir’s marriage options when he became landed. This lapse had resulted in a match that Eilif would not have made himself: Killu was Estonian, of an unimportant family and reputed to be rather dull and slow of wit, though she was by all accounts quite personable and persuasive.

TsSF5I.jpg

It appears she had been automatically relieved of an appointment on her husband’s ducal council when he became Emperor, which she held against him. Though generally virtuous, she was known to be cynical and somewhat depressed.

The new Fylkir also brought one concubine with him – Asa, a low-born and not very impressive figure either. She was the mother of the youngest son, Prince Borkvard and (something that Styrbjörn would have to consider changing) had rather strangely been given Crown Prince Helgi as her ward. Perhaps it had been to placate her, but it was unseemly now for the heir to the throne to be the ward of an unskilled woman who was the mother of a younger sibling (and who may one day look the other way, or even arrange for, a hunting accident for the young prince to elevate her own son in the succession hierarchy).

ABQr4f.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

2. The Imperial Council

One of Styrbjörn’s first tasks was to fill two key vacancies on the Imperial Council caused by the succession. For Steward, he went for youth and skill, appointing Borkvard Batbayansson – a man with a few claims to his name, too. He also needed a new Marshal, this time going more for loyalty, with the reasonably skilled Froði of Grodno getting the nod.

OIFNZs.jpg

In the two years following his accession, the Council would remain discontent until they settled into his rule.

After a week of old and new Council members sorting themselves out, Marshal Froði was the first to align himself with the Loyalist faction. Glory hounds remained the largest single bloc, but a couple of zealots and Borkvard emerging as a pragmatist rounded out the group. At this early stage, none had an overtly negative view of the new Fylkir, though his brother Prince Karl, as Spymaster, was very luke-warm. Styrbjörn noted in his private journal that he may have to do something about that.

bX3xEO.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

3. The World and Russia’s Wars

By the late 10th century, Russia was established as one of the great powers of the known world.

iW6dvb.jpg

The Great Holy War for France was proceeding well, where the French army had been substantially broken after four major victories in the field, the last at Nemours having just concluded. Five French holdings had already been occupied and two more sieges – in Rouen and Vermandois – were well under way. In Sens, Olafr’s battered but victorious army of Jomsvikings and the Imperial retinue was likely to return to Paris to recover strength and prosecute more sieges of holdings in the French capital.

58EYlI.jpg

But the same day of the victory in Nemours, Ashche-Say had fallen to the Cumanian rebels in Aqtoba. Warchief Steinn of the Jomsvikings had been appointed to lead a largely mercenary army that had been assembled in Holmgarðr to march east and deal with the large rebel force. By 28 March 992 they were in Inder, ignoring the Cumanian-occupied holdings there to close with the Cumanians in Aqtoba.

pRe8DE.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

4. The Imperial Demesne

The four holdings Styrbjörn brought with him were the least developed of his new demesne. The first five on the list (as ordered by local levy size) were all in the core Crown holdings of the four counties of the Duchy of Holmgarðr (Chudovo being the new settlement in Holmgarðr county). The middle four were fairly well developed and either bordered the core demesne or were being held for other reasons, such as trade (the Silk Road terminus in Tana) or direct Imperial ownership of a port and shipyards in the Baltic (Moon).

JGFENb.jpg

It would be the four at the bottom of the list that would be shed. This would leave Styrbjörn owning one more holding than his vassals would be comfortable with, but he was loathe to part with any of the ‘middle four’ titles and hoped to one day gain general acceptance to retain all nine.

In the time-honoured way, the disbursement of lands was used to placate vassals and hopefully turn them into supporters. The Grand Mayor of Livonia was one such target, who was given the title to Dorpat that he so dearly coveted. This turned him from a bitter opponent into someone who could at least tolerate his new Emperor.

yhn8mo.jpg

Sharukan went to Styrbjörn’s uncle Prince Ingólfr, another relative who had been offended by being released from his previous Council position under his nephew’s old regime in Sarkel. This gift more than offset Ingólfr’s other territorial ambitions – for now, anyway.

SWFtn4.jpg

One of the 'next-generation' de Normandies, Jarl Tryggve II of Ryazan, was wooed with the granting of Desht-i-Kipchak.

nuFM7g.jpg

Jarl Klas de Normandie of Vladimir – one of the more powerful Imperial vassals and yet another magnate who desired the Jarldom of Sarkel – was given Sugrov to make him a supporter, too. And to ensure the southern spoils were divided between multiple recipients.

8uuglm.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

5. Vassals and Intrigue

The changes to Russian imperial and kingdom inheritance laws had ensured Styrbjörn began his reign with a largely undiminished Imperial power base. Jarl Ormr of Brabant was easily the next most powerful figure in the Empire, but only mustered a third of the Emperor’s military resources. Next was King Hjalmar of Sweden – not a fan of the new Emperor – and High Chieftess Þordis of Lithuania.

UJiAPa.jpg

The Imperial Chancellor, Jarl Buðli of Belo Ozero, and Jarl Klas of Vladimir followed them, with none of the other top sixteen lords mustering more than 7% of the Emperor’s strength.

At this early stage of his reign, there were six factions espousing various legal or territorial objectives, but none had garnered much support. Styrbjörn’s hostile half-brother Prince Alfr led one of these, while another was led by his uncle Prince Ingólfr (in support of a claim for Alfr on Finland). Though it was hoped Ingólfr may soon decide to leave after the recent largesse sent his way.

nQR1SQ.jpg

One piece of baggage Styrbjörn brought with him was a bitter rivalry with the son of Eilif’s lover and commander, Botulfr. The plot had not progressed much and the new Fylkir would have to decide how far he should take it, or whether he should consider it beneath his station and call it off.

Vqxmnk.jpg

Finally, Styrbjörn noted that two secret societies existed within his realm. One, the Fellowship of Hel, had gone through a period of major influence during his father’s reign – and there had been dark and disturbing but unproven (at that time) rumours about his involvement in it.

E9sSi0.jpg

The other was a group simply known as The Assassins. While it seemed the objectives of this group and the Fellowship of Hel were opposed to Styrbjörn’s public affiliations and professed mission as Fylkir, they both appeared at least willing to entertain a ‘subtle approach’, if he was interested in exploring either possibility.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

General Questions

No specific ‘technical’ questions at this stage. But while the immediate military course for the new Emperor is clearly mapped out, thoughts on broad future strategic objectives or more immediate opportunities or threats would be welcome.

For example, he will be on the lookout for a few more (and better) concubines; he could do with a more skilful wife (though doesn’t really want to have her murdered); the matter of Alfr Botulfrsson’s continued existence should be addressed and he must at least decide on whether to explore a ‘secret life’ or not, notwithstanding the recent example of his father. And then there's the 'upstart' King of Sweden who deposed the young Rurikid scion from that throne.

As always, any and all comments, advice or suggestions are welcome. From here, I’ll be looking to increase the sweep and time covered by chapters, given it’s taken this long just to get to the late 900s and the size and scope of the Empire continues to grow!

Thanks also for those who voted this AAR into 2nd place in the gameplay section of the YAYAs: most appreciated.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
The new Fylkir also brought one concubine with him – Asa, a low-born and not very impressive figure either.
New Fylkir's taste in women is a bit strange

This would leave Styrbjörn owning one more holding than his vassals would be comfortable with, but he was loathe to part with any of the ‘middle four’ titles and hoped to one day gain general acceptance to retain all nine.
Take a focus that increases stewardship so the limit instantly increases if you haven't already done that? Also the garden event chain with the stewardship focus is a nice one with good bonuses too.

For example, he will be on the lookout for a few more (and better) concubines
I'd be on the lookout for girls of suitable age, good lineage and a genius trait to bethroth to the heir and the other sons before concubines. Of course good concubines are necessary too.

and he must at least decide on whether to explore a ‘secret life’ or not, notwithstanding the recent example of his father.
The event chains of the Hermetic Society was very fun, if his learning increases to 10 he'll be eligible to enter that if I'm not mistaken but I don't know if the religion disqualifies him or not.

And then there's the 'upstart' King of Sweden who deposed the young Rurikid scion from that throne.
I don't like him one little bit but there are other fish to fry, let's first finish the French. Explore if any of the small realms in Norway or Arctic are up for a peaceful vassalization, and work towards making the realm contiguous

Thanks also for those who voted this AAR into 2nd place in the gameplay section of the YAYAs: most appreciated.
Well deserved!

Reactions:
Hmm pix R not loading, maybe a cold wind from the east is the cause?
Loading fine for me on multiple platforms and no other reports of problems, so it’s probably one of those periodic ‘computer says no’ moments I too get sometimes on the forums. They probably load up fine next time you try?

Reactions:
The four holdings Styrbjörn brought with him were the least developed of his new demesne
You are WAY more analytical on this than I ever am. My strategy roughly amounts to "Well, they're next to each other so I guess I'll keep them..." Then again, you've seen how good I am at playing, so... ;)

Love the detail you've gone into here, and it's interesting how proactive you are about factions. I normally wait till the little "angry men" button flashes up and then realise I'd better do something about said factions.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Congrats on the awards! Well deserved. And I do enjoy the delve into the factions and societies you can join. Likewise with the summary about the demesne - I’ll admit I sometimes forget about the summary screens, a lot of good info there.

I’m caught up once more, great work as always!

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The next episode is ready to go, so first some comment feedback:
Congrats on YAYAs for Team Emu! Keep murder scheme going. A nobody can kill as easily as a noble. Keep wife and why take any more concubines. Wife is not bad. Thank you for the update.
Many thanks my friend, and to you on your richly deserved recognition in the YAYAs! You've made a big impact in your first years as an AAR writer. :) The scheme will bubble along for now, though doesn't look likes it's going anywhere fast. You're right maybe re concubines, with an heir and two spares already, that may be enough I guess.
New Fylkir's taste in women is a bit strange
True - AI choices (a previous error on my my part).
Take a focus that increases stewardship so the limit instantly increases if you haven't already done that? Also the garden event chain with the stewardship focus is a nice one with good bonuses too.
Good advice. Watch and wait ... ;)
I'd be on the lookout for girls of suitable age, good lineage and a genius trait to bethroth to the heir and the other sons before concubines. Of course good concubines are necessary too.
Can almost never find any genius marriage prospects, though there are some fair political ones available. Good also, as it's for sons to get wives who might bring some claims, rather than daughters going off to cement NAPs/alliances but that might give other rulers claims.
The event chains of the Hermetic Society was very fun, if his learning increases to 10 he'll be eligible to enter that if I'm not mistaken but I don't know if the religion disqualifies him or not.
I suspect the Hermetic Society may not be available to a Norse Pagan, but I'll keep an eye out.
I don't like him one little bit but there are other fish to fry, let's first finish the French. Explore if any of the small realms in Norway or Arctic are up for a peaceful vassalization, and work towards making the realm contiguous
True. Re vassalisation options, I had a quick look and there's a little more on this in the next chapter.
Well deserved!
Thanks, my friend. :)
Hmm pix R not loading, maybe a cold wind from the east is the cause?
I think you were having the same problem in one of my other AARs: has it resolved itself yet?
You are WAY more analytical on this than I ever am. My strategy roughly amounts to "Well, they're next to each other so I guess I'll keep them..." Then again, you've seen how good I am at playing, so... ;)
Heh, this is my first game and it was a learning AAR, so I guess that may have encouraged me to be more analytical about it for this one.
Love the detail you've gone into here, and it's interesting how proactive you are about factions. I normally wait till the little "angry men" button flashes up and then realise I'd better do something about said factions.
Thanks! I think the factions provide a little narrative colour every so often and encourage the idea that not all the vassals are happy little campers and have a range of gripes and ambitions (and however silly: I'm looking at you, 'Faction for Elective Gavelkind Succession with Double Pike and Somersault for Upper Gundiwoop!!' :p )
Congrats on the awards! Well deserved. And I do enjoy the delve into the factions and societies you can join. Likewise with the summary about the demesne - I’ll admit I sometimes forget about the summary screens, a lot of good info there.

I’m caught up once more, great work as always!
Many thanks. :) Without getting too diverted, as above I think they add a little narrative colour in a mainly gameplay AAR.

To All: will publish the next chapter shortly.

Reactions:
Chapter 143: Imperial Grandeur (28 March to 31 October 992)
Chapter 143: Imperial Grandeur (28 March to 31 October 992)

Previously, on Blut und Schlacht Russian Emperor and Fylkir Styrbjörn II ‘the Tenacious’ inherited the unfinished business of a Great Holy War against France and a Cumanian Liberation War in the east. The former had progressed well under his father, while a largely mercenary army was closing in on the Cuman rebels at Aqtobe. The new Fylkir’s first aim was to secure the Empire from internal enemies, defeat the French Christians and their allies and secure his own reign against a range of possible internal Rurikid rivals.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

March-April 992

Acting on advice from the Þing, Styrbjörn changed his personal leadership focus from learning to rulership, trying to boost his weak stewardship capacity both from the initial switch and then hopefully from what he would now learn while pursuing this path.

kjJRII.jpg

The very next day, the eastern army under Warchief Steinn of the Jomsvikings led the mercenary army against the Cumanian rebels in Aqtobe, at the Battle of Asche-Say. Outnumbering the enemy by a good 2,000 men, a hard-fought but clear victory was gained by 21 April. Itlar Itlarid gave himself up and the rebellion was over. And the new Emperor’s prestige was already starting to build.

cqeQxx.jpg

The surviving mercenaries – 3,040 men of the Cuman Company and 2,135 in the Bulgarian Company – were discharged from their contracts upon the victory (saving a total of 46 gold per month), with another 447 vassal levies sent back home.

Just before victory had come in the east, the main keep at Rouen had fallen to its Russian besiegers on 20 April. Six female prisoners, including the Duchess of Normandy, were captured. Of these, five would bring ransoms to help offset the cost of the war just a little.

WEGSRG.jpg

The first ransom, for Duchess Eglantine (26 gold), was demanded from Duke Baudouin on 21 April. The rest of the girls would fetch 10 gold each, with a total of 66 gold paid over in the following months.

St. Quentin (in Vermandois) fell the same day as Rouen and the Russian army there marched south to Reims.

At that time, various surrounding realms, from kingdoms to smaller independent holdings, were sounded out as vassalisation prospects, but none were able or willing to to do so (they were at war, or resisted strongly as kingdoms, had cultural and religious differences, and so on).

A couple of days later, Styrbjörn also saw to the change of Prince Helgi’s guardianship from his concubine Asa (not Helgi’s mother) to the Steward Borkvard, given Helgi’s current study focus on thrift.

pWrP8d.jpg

There were seven factions active in the realm at this time, but the largest of them (for Gavelkind Succession in Russia) only had 10.2% strength compared to the new Fylkir. In these early days, a watchful eye would be kept on these lest any turn into something more threatening, given the newness of Styrbjörn’s reign and the multitude of possible Rurikid claimants.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

May-June 992

The success of the Great Holy War up to the spring of 992 AD saw more Germanic leaders volunteer their services for the cause in early May – all were accepted. Some were distant, but others were closer, with large contingents that would play a role in France in coming months.

Ebl5FR.jpg

E2Z0Zw.jpg

Mid-May brought a series of three betrothals for the Crown Prince and his two younger brothers. The first two were to older girls with strong political connections (to Noregr and England) and decent personal characteristics. The third was perhaps a case of mistaken identity: Borkvard was intended to be engaged to a bright (though sickly) young girl his own age. But he ended up with someone else, of average nature and the daughter of a relatively minor noble. Still, Styrbjörn was not too worried, it being for the second spare heir and with plenty of time to change of necessary. The proposals were accepted during the next week.

adfDpl.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Of concern was an outbreak of consumption which began in the port of Zeeland on 1 June 992 – in the middle of Ormr’s powerful Brabantian Jarldom and worryingly close to the fighting in France.

The next day, a force of 2,559 Frenchmen under Count Herbert was spotted having slipped into Vermandois (all of which was currently under Russian control). Two of the three Russian armies then in France were near the end of their current sieges, so no move to confront them was made immediately.

The first to finish was the siege of Arques in Rouen on 9 June [70% warscore]. Botulfr’s army of almost 9,000 men would first march to Calais, where a force of just over 1,000 French troops had been spotted, then across to Vermandois if still required.

It would not be needed after all: the main keep in Reims fell just five days later. Nuyaksha (with his substantially allied army) would march north back to Vermandois while Botulfr dealt with the smaller French force in Calais.

nqsiPV.jpg

The perceived threat posed by Russia ebbed by 23 June and the pacts against it rapidly disbanded in the coming days. On the battlefield, Nuyaksha closed with the French (whose army had grown to 3,000) in Vermandois on 24 June at the Battle of Laon. With excellent timing, one of the recently volunteered allied forces from Westfriesland joined Nuyashka from the north the very next day. So despite attacking across a river, the result was not in doubt.

Bk0T9Z.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

July-September 992

While the Battle of Laon was being fought, a much easier one was resolved in Calais from 3-14 July, with the badly outnumbered French force routed by Botulfr for casualties that could literally be counted on one hand.

ssIJiz.jpg

Botulfr was soon heading back south to finish his work in Rouen.

Back home, an opportunity arose to threaten the thoroughly disliked (by the Rurikids as a whole) King Hjalmar of Sviþjod. Styrbjörn gleefully proceeded with this course and was gratified by a grovelling letter that Hjalmar would write in reply, pledging to refrain from factional agitation. For a while.

oHRESi.jpg

On 6 July, Jarl Ormr of Brabant won yet another one of his conquest wars, this time against King Hysing of Éire for the county of Fìobha. This tipped Russia’s threat level over the [5%] threshold again that re-started the formation of defensive pacts.

In mid-July, there were still only seven factions but one of them (Elective Succession in Finland), now led by Jarl Ormr, had a plot strength of 23.6%. He had a relatively positive opinion of his Fylkir [+30], but a bribe for such an powerful magnate would have been expensive (around 150 gold), while the nature and size of the threat posed was not deemed serious enough for action to be taken as yet.

Of interest around this time was the end of a war where Byzantium extended its empire further north at Hungary’s expense. The same day, word came from King Leopold of Denmark that yet another invasion of Poland was being planned. The Danes were nothing if not consistent: but this time, Russia was not a formal ally.

wc6eIm.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

For some reason, factional growth in Russia exploded from July to August: by 5 August, there were 13 in operation! One of them was led by Prince Karl – the Spymaster – with a couple more with support at around 16-19%. Again, none were a direct threat yet, but their profusion was a little concerning.

9cz8Rt.jpg

Therefore, a month later, Karl’s efforts were redirected to building a domestic spy network, in the hope of discouraging vassals from joining such ventures. And he was given a gift to ensure greater loyalty, which had fallen slightly into negative territory. Never good for a Spymaster who was a close relative and potential claimant (his small faction of himself only seeking the throne of Garðariki).

Back in France, Meaux in Reims fell to Russian siege on 7 August [83% warscore]. Nuyashka would stay there to besiege the next holding.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

The ever-eager and grasping Jarl Ormr ‘the Holy’ of Brabant soon had new project to occupy his energies: a conquest of Friesland against Count Antoon ‘the Liberator’ was declared on 6 September.

Mid-September brought news of drunken hijinks down in Vyazma: Jarl Klas – one of those ‘colourful’ de Normandie brothers – had been behaving badly. But he was a supporter of Styrbjörn and the Fylkir was willing to pay some gold to ensure the peace; and have the unstable Klas even more obligated to him.

00pJbG.jpg

Fecamp in Rouen fell to Botulfr’s army on 21 September and French despair grew ever deeper [88% warscore]. Four days later, he was ready to assault the weakly held walls of Lillebonne to help speed the process.

FAoaHN.jpg

By 27 September Botulfr’s work was done and he was marching the army to Eu, though those leading both sides now expected the war would be over fairly soon.

Back in Russia, Seeress Ulfhildr was sent down to proselytise in the border county of Sarpa, to push back the encroachment of Orthodox Christianity from the neighbour Byzantine Empire.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

October 992

The next French holding to fall was Provins in Reims on 20 October. It cost 432 Russian soldiers to take the 1,354 man garrison, but when it was in Russian hands, French despair was palpable [warscore 98%].

At court in Nygarðr, Jarl Klas was having a convivial dinner (and many drinks, of course) with Styrbjörn one evening when the conversation strayed into an area the new Fylkir (unlike his depraved and villainous father before him) was unwilling to go.

OKhCVG.jpg

Klas’s none-too-subtle overture to sound out membership for what Styrbjörn assumed to be the Fellowship of Hel was politely but firmly rebuffed.

Just a week later, Count Herbert was on his way back to Vermandois with the remnants of the main French army. An allied force was already there and a small levy contingent making its way from Hainault rushed to reinforce these fellow holy warriors. They were due to arrive eight days before the enemy and their numbers may help tip things in the Norsemen’s favour.

nQ5kSQ.jpg

But as it happened, the battle never began. Just two days later, Monfort-l’Amaury fell to siege in Reims, though with some appreciable Russian losses in the siege camp. With its loss, the French were ready to acknowledge their defeat.

King Valeran admitted his defeat after an unreleived series of battlefield defeats and lost holdings. Early in his reign, Styrbjörn’s prestige was raised higher and his piety even more so. The moral authority of the Reformed Germanic Faith rode very high indeed.

f1BSx6.jpg

The French King and a raft of his Dukes were displaced, forced to usurp titles from their vassals to remain landed nobles.

EBqVS5.jpg

And a truly massive transfer of titles initially into Styrbjörn’s name followed – more than he could ever directly control comfortably. Something would need to be done about that soon, but he awaited advice from the Þing as to the best way to handle their disbursement.

hgI5yA.jpg

As the spoils were handed out, his support among his vassals – existing and new – was bound to be enormous. But there was also danger in creating magnates who may become too powerful. And also the question of whether some of the best and richest holdings should be kept for the Imperial demesne, or all the new French lands fully released to others.

A great many of these (cities and temples) could not be gainfully held anyway.

FMCd6j.jpg

While the possibility of creating two new Duchies also beckoned – perhaps part of the solution for the disbursement of the vast territory Russia had just absorbed.

Meanwhile, the once powerful Kingdom of France still notionally existed, but had been gutted by its catastrophic loss.

eGzqUQ.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

The Wider World

As at 31 October 992, the borders of Western Europe had been significantly rewritten by the Russian victory in its Great Holy War against France. This great conquest had the effect of rocketing Russia’s threat levels: large opposing defensive pacts would no doubt soon be burgeoning again … even as the Byzantine Empire expanded along the south-eastern border near the Caspian Sea and further into the Balkans.

P2z7TQ.jpg

The Reformed Germanic Faith would now have a whole new area to begin expanding into – enough to keep proselytising Seers and diligent vassals occupied for years to come.

pgFurL.jpg

And of course this latest victory further boosted the position of Germanicism as a strong religion. In time, the last Holy Site under heathen control in Paderborn might come under the auspices of the True Faith. Perhaps as part of a land bridge between Father Russia and Western Europe.

jN8gTS.jpg

But cultural change was far slower, with pockets of Norsemen living outside the main original strongholds of Norway and Sweden, including that centred around the core Imperial demesne in Russia, but also spread from England to Cumania.

Tkn5ZN.jpg

Two separate outbreaks of consumption were affecting the margins of the Empire, including that which had spread from its recent source in Zeeland, while northern Italy coped with a measles outbreak.

3A6Vo4.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Questions

I paused the game here, mainly because I wanted some advice on how best to go about distributing the vast new hoard of holdings that the conquest of France has brought. Also because I’m going to try keeping the chapters a little shorter and punchier from here and (to get through the game and AAR before CK4 is released :D) to get through longer time periods as well in a broader historical sweep. So I actually included a little more detail and background screenshots in this chapter and covered a far shorter time period than I intend to going forward.

Ch 143 Q1. I’d be interested in broad guidance and principles for breaking up this new largesse. Create lots of new nobles? Reward some existing ones with a title or two to ensure vassal happiness? Recruit more Norse characters to the realm if needed, to make them nobles? Worth giving anything to Styrbjörn’s sons yet, or hold off lest they become targets of plots and rebellions?

Ch 143 Q2. Given I can’t use/create the kingdom of France title (Valeran remains King of France, despite his loss), there are at least the two Duchies I can create. I intend to do so – does that seem wise? Or should I give the relevant counties to a single noble and let them create it?

Ch 143 Q3. They don’t register as much in the ledger yet, given the recent damage and occupation, but should I consider swapping out one or two (or even three) of the current Imperial demesne counties in Russia for a couple of the ones with the greatest potential in France? Even consider taking one of the French Duchies (say Valois, three counties including Paris) for Styrbjörn?

Any other advice or comment most welcome, as always.

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
No, but I haven't played around with Adblocker plus and some other anti spam I have installed.

I see only this.View attachment 820995 where should the link go to?
To an image host where they are all stored for web access. I suppose you’ve tried simple refreshing etc? Sometimes that does the trick for me.

ps: for me, the image appears ok in your quote of my image if it was the threat map you were showing!

Reactions:
At that time, various surrounding realms, from kingdoms to smaller independent holdings, were sounded out as vassalisation prospects, but none were able or willing to to do so (they were at war, or resisted strongly as kingdoms, had cultural and religious differences, and so on).
Kingdoms hardcoded never accept but I was quite hopeful about smaller realms, but didn't work :/

Of interest around this time was the end of a war where Byzantium extended its empire further north at Hungary’s expense. The same day, word came from King Leopold of Denmark that yet another invasion of Poland was being planned. The Danes were nothing if not consistent: but this time, Russia was not a formal ally.
We need to eat them one way or another, what is their succession status? maybe some strategical betrothals (maybe followed by some assassinations) might bring them under our banner after a generation or so

Ch 143 Q1. I’d be interested in broad guidance and principles for breaking up this new largesse. Create lots of new nobles? Reward some existing ones with a title or two to ensure vassal happiness? Recruit more Norse characters to the realm if needed, to make them nobles? Worth giving anything to Styrbjörn’s sons yet, or hold off lest they become targets of plots and rebellions?
And a truly massive transfer of titles initially into Styrbjörn’s name followed – more than he could ever directly control comfortably. Something would need to be done about that soon, but he awaited advice from the Þing as to the best way to handle their disbursement.
No amount of stewardship will save this :D I'd say distribute the titles to many people, and if somebody will receive multiple titles it should be from separate duchies so nobody can collect a lot from the same duchy and ask for bigger titles / kingdom title. So definitely invite some more Norse characters to make nobles, but also throw some bones to the current ones but without letting anybody collect power in a location.

Ch 143 Q2. Given I can’t use/create the kingdom of France title (Valeran remains King of France, despite his loss), there are at least the two Duchies I can create. I intend to do so – does that seem wise? Or should I give the relevant counties to a single noble and let them create it?
whether some of the best and richest holdings should be kept for the Imperial demesne
Ch 143 Q3. They don’t register as much in the ledger yet, given the recent damage and occupation, but should I consider swapping out one or two (or even three) of the current Imperial demesne counties in Russia for a couple of the ones with the greatest potential in France? Even consider taking one of the French Duchies (say Valois, three counties including Paris) for Styrbjörn?

they indeed have some very juicy provinces, this is really a tough decision to make. I wouldn't want to lose core counties or the silk road trade post, but the creme de la creme of the French counties are really something. To avoid demesne limit, I might consider giving a part to the heir so after a succession still all is in one piece.

I like hoarding titles so I'd create and not give to a single noble and like I said before distribute the titles under to separate nobles so none of them has an idea to claim the entire duchy.

And of course this latest victory further boosted the position of Germanicism as a strong religion. In time, the last Holy Site under heathen control in Paderborn might come under the auspices of the True Faith. Perhaps as part of a land bridge between Father Russia and Western Europe.
I endorse this

• 1Like
Reactions: