• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Count of Reval

Colonel
7 Badges
Apr 14, 2009
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Deus Vult
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • 200k Club
Hi! Has anyone noticed the issue that some of the images, attached to previous posts, have become "blurred"? It has probably something to do with resizing, as I have noticed that at least one image for fact has been "shrunken". It's a pity as many AARs has to be affected probably by this effect as well...

Could you link to an example?

There are two problems with a possible example... First, I can provide only "after the change" images now and not "before the change" images for comparison. Second, as the loss-of-sharpness-caused-by-resizing effect will most likely be dependent also on the size of the screen, it's completely possible that something which looks like a visual problem in my laptop may look fine in top-notch office computer.

But nevertheless, I can give one 100% sure example, as this image was posted by myself and I know/remember how the now resized and blurred picture looked in an original during a couple of days before the forum update. In the post, resized is the last image, the one at the bottom (as it was the widest and probably didn't fit into altered posting area anymore). Its quality was (and still is, if you copy and paste it) the same as the quality of the images above and Excel cells in all images had the same size in the post before the forum update.

I checked AAR sub-forums and according to my opinion all the widest pictures have been blurred/resized, often rendering the smaller texts and numbers on them almost unreadable. One could compare their quality with other, smaller images in the same threads.

I don't see it I'm afraid. I can see that the image is the same size as the others, so resized I guess, but it does not look any more/less blurry than any of the others. It is not something I've noticed when just looking random at other images either. I tried resizing the window and a couple of other browser, but I really can't see it.

Clear then. Thanks for investing your time in studying the problem and replying, and sorry for the inconvenience.

In my computer the visual difference is rather obvious and appeared first time right after the forum update. I haven't upgraded my main browser (Firefox) meanwhile or changed any of its settings - so the visual change can't be caused by that. I tried other browsers as well - Google Chrome yielded a result exactly the same as Firefox, Opera auto-sharpened the image (but the result remained "odd"), Windows Internet Explorer distorted the image beyond recognition.

As I'm apparently the only one who has complained about the issue, I suppose the problem has to be somewhat computer specific and there's nothing you can or should do about it [no irony involved]... Thanks once again.

PS. I will attach an Internet Explorer's screen save only to show that I didn't just whine in vain. :)

internetexplorerquality.png

Oh, wow! That looks awful! I admit, I was thinking that maybe you were just very sensitive for a reduction in quality so small I could not detect it, but the pic is really, really awful.
If you tell me what resolution and what version of ie you run I could test in the same circumstances and we will know if the problem is with your computer or the forum for sure?

1280x800 and IE7.

Maybe that's why I could not see it then. How come you have such an old version? Less than 3% of all internet users use ie7 I was told just today. :)

In fact, I don't use IE at all :) - that's also a reason why I have an unupgraded version of it (it just came with a laptop). I used IE only this once to see how various browsers compare - it gave the clearest "bad result" (and I had to convince you there might be a problem). Initial blurred/resized images occurred with a Firefox 8.0.1, the browser I use daily. The quality was much better than with IE7, true, but still not as good as it used to be before. I add 2 more screen shots.

Image after the forum update via Firefox 8.0.1:
firefoxng.png

Exactly the same image before the forum update (also via Firefox):
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8788/originalme.png

I had to attach the "before image" as a link as it got distorted as well when I tried to attach it as an image. The linked picture has precisely the initial quality and size - how it looked before the forum upgrade inside the forum post.

I understand this issue can't be something which covers wide customer masses, as I'm the only one who has reported it.

Last edited: