• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

gabrielsagon

Private
3 Badges
May 20, 2020
  • Crusader Kings II
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Crusader Kings III
Due to the recent Brian removed from team, i'd like to see how many others have also decided to get a refund.

hippity hoppity, game return my monetary property.

Edit: this could be due to certain plans the company had to monetize the game with pointless dlc's or something, and Brian disagreed, nevertheless, most of the pre-purchases are from old fans who are here because Brian was going to deliver yet another masterpiece, this time without being rushed by valve due to "half-life 2 source engine superiority complex", which led to a buggy and unfinished bloodlines 1, and people still loved it. Brian spent 5 years building this game's story and it could have been GotY very easily. Such disappointment...

Last edited:
Reactions:
Due to the recent Brian removed from team, i'd like to see how many others have also decided to get a refund.

hippity hoppity, game return my monetary property.

Edit: this could be due to certain plans the company had to monetize the game with pointless dlc's or something, and Brian disagreed, nevertheless, most of the pre-purchases are from old fans who are here because Brian was going to deliver yet another masterpiece, this time without being rushed by valve due to "half-life 2 source engine superiority complex", which led to a buggy and unfinished bloodlines 1, and people still loved it. Brian spent 5 years building this game's story and it could have been GotY very easily. Such disappointment...

I don't tend to pre-order games until very close to release (if at all). I certainly don't pre-order until I know what the specs are and am certain what exact release date is. I still intend to follow the development of the game, though perhaps not as closely as before, & will pre-order when I see its close to actual release and if I am suitably impressed by any of the prior teases I have seen up until that point

No, I have not, but if this means that they will extend the game, with DLC, is that a bad thing?
Especially if one of them is a 3rd person DLC or a VR DLC?

Reactions:
preordered it the same day when it went up on steam, been following development ever since, none of the delays worried me particularly but I cancelled my preorder today after this news. I'm incredibly disappointed.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Out of the many reasons I don't preorder games anymore, this was the last I expected. I mean to fire the very guy who pitched the whole idea in the first place? The soul of the project? The guy behind it all? This is straight out ridiculous.
I hope they fail,and I hope they fail BAD with this game.

That would be the antithesis of what Brian has said he wants. Plus, there are loads of hardworking devs who would suffer for something they have no control over. Development of TLOU2 was an absolute garbage fire-especially in the final 8 months-yet it still sold like hotcakes.

• 3Like
Reactions:
That would be the antithesis of what Brian has said he wants. Plus, there are loads of hardworking devs who would suffer for something they have no control over. Development of TLOU2 was an absolute garbage fire-especially in the final 8 months-yet it still sold like hotcakes.
I honestly would feel dirty if I bought that game (TLOU2). I'm hoping that this project isn't requiring crunch. Though the delays paradoxically make me more confident that they aren't employing crunch.

Last edited:
I received my refund this morning. I haven’t preordered a game in close to 8 years, but I made an exception for this, due to my love of VtM and the fact that Brian was working on this.

As it stands now with Mitsoda off the project, and the dude they brought in to finish the project essentially being a big project stooge hired to rush games that are behind schedule out, my interest in this has dropped to almost nil.

I will keep watching the development of this though, and if by some miracle once it’s released it gets both good reviews and good word of mouth by non paid reviewers (average gamers), I may eventually pick this up, but I want to be clear, I certainly have lost any goodwill that I had recently gained for Paradox and Hardsuit Labs. Short of Brian doing something horribly illegal, he should have never of been removed from this project. Even if there was a conflict of direction or vision, Paradox used that man to market this game and give it legitimacy. What has happened, even without knowing all the details, screams corporate backstabbing or money saving bullshit.

I still hope this somehow turns out to be a great game, as I do all games. That simply benefits me as a consumer, but the events of the past few days have certainly colored my views of Paradox, and not in a positive shade.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
While I haven't preordered the game, I fully intended to buy it day 1. Now I'm going to wait a bit, see all the reviews to tell me what exactly the problems with this game are, that they had to delay it twice, and then fire the creative director.

There have to be some kind of problems, no question about it.

Since there is not a single word from paradox or hardsuit about why they fired Brian, all that is left is pure speculation. Have they fired him, because he wanted to do a political game, that explains both sides, instead of just catering to SJWs? Was he not *woke* enough? Was he opposed to the monetization? Was he simply not needed anymore? Did they want to cut costs? Was his vision too nieche and so they brought in a Ubisoft person to make it more accessable?

We simply don't know, we can just speculate. I wish they said at least anything.

Reactions:
I did not preorder but at the moment it seems very unlikely that I will buy it.

While I haven't preordered the game, I fully intended to buy it day 1. Now I'm going to wait a bit, see all the reviews to tell me what exactly the problems with this game are, that they had to delay it twice, and then fire the creative director.

There have to be some kind of problems, no question about it.

Since there is not a single word from paradox or hardsuit about why they fired Brian, all that is left is pure speculation. Have they fired him, because he wanted to do a political game, that explains both sides, instead of just catering to SJWs? Was he not *woke* enough? Was he opposed to the monetization? Was he simply not needed anymore? Did they want to cut costs? Was his vision too nieche and so they brought in a Ubisoft person to make it more accessable?

We simply don't know, we can just speculate. I wish they said at least anything.
Day 1 reviews, storywise, are fake, it takes at least 2 days to finish the game, and that is if you spend 15hours a day playing the game, ignoring side quests and rushing it. wait a few days (4 to a week) to get to know if the story was great, or just good. Brian was working on the story for 5 years, the game is based on the world of darkness which has extensive lore, so Brian made a great story i'm sure. let's hope its his story, not a Frankenstein between Brian and this new guy for the sake of maximizing dlc gains.

Day 1 reviews, storywise, are fake, it takes at least 2 days to finish the game, and that is if you spend 15hours a day playing the game, ignoring side quests and rushing it. wait a few days (4 to a week) to get to know if the story was great, or just good. Brian was working on the story for 5 years, the game is based on the world of darkness which has extensive lore, so Brian made a great story i'm sure. let's hope its his story, not a Frankenstein between Brian and this new guy for the sake of maximizing dlc gains.

You're forgetting, that review copies exist. Game studios usually send review copies of their games days if not weeks before launch to reviewers, so they can prepare their reviews for launch.
It's just the ones who don't get review copies, who have to buy it day 1, play it and then make their review. Angry Joe is an example of that. Game studios don't like him anymore, because he's one of the people who don't lick everyones boots. He gives credit where credit is due, and gives criticism where criticism is due, and both with a passion. But because of that they don't send him review copies anymore.

But I understand what you are saying, I didn't mean that I will still buy it day 1. Like I said, I fully intend now to way a bit and see all the reviews, before making a descision.

This is a fair point and its true Brian said he still wishes this game to succeed.
However what else can the average player do show corporate this kind of behavior isn't tolerable?

I am torn on this, I would encourage people to at least cancel their pre-orders (it's a bad consumer practice anyway if we're talking digital game copies) and wait for reviews or even a word from Brian.
My biggest fear is if they change plot points to fit waverer corporate needs, admittedly they can't change that much due to how little time they have, but I believe they still have plenty to change little enough to screw up the original vision...

Reactions:
You're forgetting, that review copies exist. Game studios usually send review copies of their games days if not weeks before launch to reviewers, so they can prepare their reviews for launch.
It's just the ones who don't get review copies, who have to buy it day 1, play it and then make their review. Angry Joe is an example of that. Game studios don't like him anymore, because he's one of the people who don't lick everyones boots. He gives credit where credit is due, and gives criticism where criticism is due, and both with a passion. But because of that they don't send him review copies anymore.

But I understand what you are saying, I didn't mean that I will still buy it day 1. Like I said, I fully intend now to way a bit and see all the reviews, before making a descision.
I am still getting the game, but reviews, that are not from players, tend to be biased, as if they give a game a bad review, they tend not to get another one pre game. So if its a bad game, they are likely to spin some more of the positive points, with a dash of the negative.