• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'd ask people who're outraged at this stuff and the recent controversies: what franchise were/are you a fan of?
This was in first & second ed. The really spicy stuff isn't from recent releases but from the 90s.

I really hope, once COVID passes, gamedevs sit down and figure out how to properly estimate release dates. Even pre-COVID AAA games and indie games alike were constantly being delayed, sometimes, like Bloodlines, to up to a year after the original release date. That isn't just "there were more bugs than expected". That's "we have no idea what we're doing and pulled a random date out of the sky". The delays, in addition to all the personnel changes and the history of Bloodlines 1, isn't exactly giving me a lot of confidence about this game.

I really hope, once COVID passes, gamedevs sit down and figure out how to properly estimate release dates. Even pre-COVID AAA games and indie games alike were constantly being delayed, sometimes, like Bloodlines, to up to a year after the original release date. That isn't just "there were more bugs than expected". That's "we have no idea what we're doing and pulled a random date out of the sky". The delays, in addition to all the personnel changes and the history of Bloodlines 1, isn't exactly giving me a lot of confidence about this game.

Though I understand your reasoning and agree, it's just not that simple in the industry. Whether it's in the game industry or software industry, release dates are always estimated (i.e. target dates). With any development, it is not a linear process. Too often, you won't know something until it happens. When this occurs, you can potentially get delays. Now, I do agree that having multiple delays does look bad, and the companies should not announce a release date until they are within 6 months of a high certainty of release, but marketing is a beast of itself. Drumming up excitement for the game to push sales can take a while, to let it soak in so to speak. It's a double-edged sword unfortunately.

Also, with the type of issues that this game has gone through, these risks and ultimately the issues that happened, could not have been foreseen honestly. At least, not until it was too late. So though I agree with your sentiment, I think Bloodlines is more of the exception and not the standard. You don't usually see games get delayed for over a year like you did with this. At worst, you usually only see a 6-8 month delay from a definitive date. It's unfortunate though.

Although I believe that the whole situation around COVID has definitely not helped the development, I personally have doubts that it would be the main cause.
It is necessary to keep in mind that we received the first notification of delay in October 2019, ie 5 months before the pandemic started in Europe (not sure about America, but i think that was around month later). So either the paradox employs seers, or the first reason will be elsewhere.

Personally, I would see him in that the first delay was announced shortly after the first demo saw the light of day. (or nights)
And I can't shake the feeling that if those reactions were more positive (read like: if nostalgia prevailed over quality) the game would have been released a long time ago.
But the situation, as we all remember, was different, the product they was offered clearly did not reach the standard of today, so the studio decided to improve it ... which of course requires additional time, resources and the like.
That's when COVID comes into play.

Personally, I have no problem with waiting for a (perhaps better) product a little longer ... and I would probably be able to come to terms with the fact that no one can tell me how long.
What I would see as the main problem with this particular game is that we don't really know what game to expect. :(
And that could definitely be changed, regardless of the pandemic, it would be enough to talk a little openly about what the game should look like when one beautiful day (or night) comes out.

Do not forgot the game has a x-mas theme and the game was NOT announced as a Q4 release first time around.

That pretty much tells us that the original attended release date was pushed even before it was announced to the public...

Reactions:
Game has Christmas theme, because Seattle have extremely short days in winter ...
So it fits better for Vampires, that much was allready told last year.