• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
May 27, 2016
Blood & Iron merges the best modders work for Darkest Hour from the past years and expands on it for an immersive WWII and WWI grand strategy experience.

Features:

- Mod built on World in Flames 2 latest version which includes WWI scenario with a ton of new events for both WWII and WWI. Also new special units like SS, kamikazes, ghurkas, rangers, ski infantry and great war tanks. Merged many of Edge of Darkness events, game balance and AI. Game balance is a bit of WiF2, EoD and my own. 1933 and 1914 scenarios available.

- Sprites ranging from WWI to the first jet fighters all carefully selected from the best work made through the years from several modders (Imperator/Chicken Spadge, BeBros, Puma, Odecca, Dima Strannik). I've also improved, fixed, reworked and expanded on it, so that all sprites look good together and that none feel out of place.

- Francesco's Models Mod that replaces the vanilla black & white model photos with coloured drawings. I've also updated it to the 1.05 version of DH as there was ID changes and other changes, I've also added appropriate images to the extra brigade divisions and also replaced the vanilla for generic ones so no more vanilla images.

- Kazoo's SKIF style icons mod that replaces the vanilla unit icons models.

- Decriser's DEC Map mod that adds terrain information on political map mode.

- Official Graphic Pack that overalls most of the UI and flags, I've also used some bits of Horton13's Graphic Improvement Project.

- tioperete's ProvincePics Project mod that adds a ton of new province pictures.

- Map icons from Total Realism Project that goes very well with the sprites, I've also used the topbar_folder file for the main interface buttons which merges perfectly with the UI.

- Replaced many of the small UI icons.

- Immersive WWII and WWI era music playlists for the major factions and alternative classical music playslists, all volume leveled to 91db in Mp3Gain. You can also add your own music easily.

- Add your own music easily: just copy your own mp3 to the music folder in Blood and Iron's folder and add the mp3 names to My_Music text file (1 name in each line, game reads from top to down), names should not contain spaces. Then in game just choose My Music from the Playlist event.

- Historical speeches and music for some important events.

Credits:

Events, game balance and AI:

- World in Flames 2
- Edge of Darkness

Sprites:

- Imperator (sprites creator) / Chicken Spadge (conversion to DH) - Infantry and cavalry sprites.
- BeBros - Ships, motorized and mechanized sprites.
- Puma - Tanks, helicopters, rockets, most WWII aircrafts.
- Odecca - WWI aircafts, German naval and jet aircrafts, some tanks (Tiger, Leopards, AMX30, A7V-U, Bison).
- Dima Strannik - Most Japanese aircrafts.

UI and overall graphics:

- Total Realism Project - Map icons and topbar_folder file.
- Francesco's Models Mod
- Kazoo's SKIF Style Icons
- Decriser's DEC Map
- Official Graphic Pack
- Horton13's Graphic Improvement Project - Main menu, loadscreen.
- tioperete's ProvincePics Project

Some pics:

BzcBBJD.jpg

8AXDBVW.jpg

3n8g8MM.jpg

sGLccCv.jpg

w92kETp.jpg

bY7R8XD.jpg

s6c5PkA.jpg

Installation:

- Extract to your Darkest Hour/Mods folder
- Choose Blood and Iron v1.1 on the launcher mods list (also check Unit sprites and Country-specific graphics)
- Play and have fun

(Note: the game might take up to around 1min and 15sec to launch due to the huge amount of sprites and events)

Darkest Hour 1.05 required
Checksum: MCIQ

Blood and Iron v1.1 DOWNLOAD

Last edited:
  • 15Like
  • 9Love
Reactions:
Blood & Iron merges the best modders work for Darkest Hour from the past years and expands on it for an immersive WWII and WWI grand strategy experience.

Features:

- Mod built on World in Flames 2 latest version which includes WWI scenario with a ton of new events for both WWII and WWI. Merged many of Edge of Darkness events, game balance and AI. Game balance is a bit of WiF2, EoD and my own. 1933 and 1914 scenarios available.

- Sprites ranging from WWI to the first jet fighters all carefully selected from the best work made through the years from several modders (Imperator/Chicken Spadge, BeBros, Puma, Odecca, Dima Strannik). I've also improved, fixed, reworked and expanded on it, so that all sprites look good together and that none feel out of place.

- Francesco's Models Mod that replaces the vanilla black & white model photos with coloured drawings. I've also updated it to the 1.05 version of DH as there was ID changes and other changes, I've also added appropriate images to the extra brigade divisions and also replaced the vanilla for generic ones so no more vanilla images.

- Kazoo's SKIF style icons mod that replaces the vanilla unit icons models.

- Decriser's DEC Map mod that adds terrain information on political map mode.

- Official Graphic Pack that overalls most of the UI and flags, I've also used some bits of Horton13's Graphic Improvement Project.

- Vanadio's Province Pictures Pack mod that adds a ton of new province pictures.

- Map icons from Total Realism Project that goes very well with the sprites, I've also used the topbar_folder for the main interface buttons which merges perfectly with the UI.

- Replaced many of the small UI icons.

- Immersive WWII and WWI era music playlists for the major factions and alternative classical music playslists, all volume leveled to 91db in Mp3Gain. You can also add your own music easily.

- Add your own music easily: just copy your own mp3 to the music folder in Blood and Iron's folder and add the mp3 names to My_Music text file (1 name in each line, game reads from top to down), names should not contain spaces. Then in game just choose My Music from the Playlist event.

Credits:

Events, game balance and AI:

- World in Flames 2
- Edge of Darkness

Sprites:

- Imperator (sprites creator) / Chicken Spadge (conversion to DH) - Infantry and cavalry sprites.
- BeBros - Ships, motorized and mechanized sprites.
- Puma - Tanks, helicopters, rockets, most WWII aircrafts.
- Odecca - WWI aircafts, German naval and jet aircrafts, some tanks (Tiger, Leopards, AMX30, A7V-U, Bison).
- Dima Strannik - Most Japanese aircrafts.

UI and overall graphics:

- Total Realism Project - Map icons.
- Francesco's Models Mod
- Kazoo's SKIF Style Icons
- Decriser's DEC Map
- Official Graphic Pack
- Vanadio's Province Pictures Pack

Installation:

- Extract to your Darkest Hour/Mods folder
- Choose Blood and Iron v0.5 on the launcher mods list (also check Unit sprites and Country-specific graphics)
- Play and have fun

(Note: the game might take up to around 1min and 15sec to launch due to the huge amount of sprites and events)

Blood and Iron v0.5 can be DOWNLOADED from MODDB, I can't provide a link probably because it's my first comment in this site.

Darkest Hour 1.05 required
Checksum: ZEEO

Very impressive! And welcome to the forum!

Here's the Download Page for anyone interested: https://www.moddb.com/mods/blood-iron-for-darkest-hour/downloads/blood-and-iron-v05

• 1Love
Reactions:
Hello Knight, great work so far!

My questions: Are there interwar events for victorious central powers in the WW1 scenario - and up to which year do they range?

As of now the only extra events for 1914 scenario are the ones from WiF2, the end date is 1921.

For the 1933 scenario there are also a ton from Edge of Darkness however it's only the ones from the Add_on (with the exception of ministers and extra brigade units events as I didn't added those) and the extra events in the WiF2 Gameplay file. I did made their changes to the special units added by WiF2 so the units are all recruitable instead of only being added some by their related events.

The Great War tanks in the 1914 scenario I've left as they are in WiF2 were you only get some dependending on the faction as Germany for example only built 20 operational.

The graphics part of the mod was a ton of work especially the sprites were like 90% of the total work and time so between the graphics and merging Edge of Darkness events, OOB and AI balance, didn't got much time left. The most important now is to get feedback on the mod to know if the balance is right and if there are any bugs. Then I guess I can add new events for both scenarios.

This was more than what you asked but it gives an idea for someone wondering about the events and extra unit divisions in the mod :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Thanks, do you know how many comments I need to be able to post links?

No idea and I never realized that is a rule. Maybe ask a moderator on here. Let me know if you need anything else posted in the meantime.

Screenshot (2).png

you asked for bugs, so here is one but i am not sure if it is from this mod or the edge of darkness event being already broken

Edit: I checked Edge of Darkness and yes it is this mod not the event

Last edited:
you asked for bugs, so here is one but i am not sure if it is from this mod or the edge of darkness event being already broken

Edit: I checked Edge of Darkness and yes it is this mod not the event

Thanks for report, it seems I forgot to add a lot of EoD events to the mods in config folder, I'll release a fix. You shouldn't show swastikas in this forum though.

Last edited:
I've took a look at The Grand Campaign mod events files and I've got this idea of adding a new third scenario which will be a grand campaign from the start of 1914 scenario to the end of 1933 scenario, I'll use TGC interwar events to link both scenarios.

I've also took a look at the minister files from EoD, it shouldn't be hard to implement their changes and all the other events, including the ones from the Generalplan_Ost to bring a better end game as it seems to be only small changes. I'll need to take a look at what changes they've made to the countries as they seem to have changed some stuff to add the Generalplan_Ost events. I'll still leave out cold war stuff and their added brigade divisions.

Btw I've seen people complaining about the Italian pictures of ministers not showing up in EoD 2.3, this is because they've changed the pictures names to something that doesn't exist in the the pics folder, I guess they were going to add new pics and forgot to add them to that folder.

Edit: Apparently the minister pics they wanted to add are the ones in TGC mod, but yeah they just forgot to add the pics themselves xd

Last edited:
Reactions:
Here is a correction to militia WWII sprites coming 1 level later than what they should (just extract to the Blood and Iron v0.5 folder, merge and replace when asked):

Attachments

• gfx.7z
    4 KB · Views: 0
  • 3Like
Reactions: