• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Certainly! Great twist. I'm still rooting for the Boers regardless though :D

Terribly sorry for the general lack of activity in these parts but real world difficulties (uuuurgh) have been taking up alot of my time, however theres an update in the works, perhaps not with the utter shock value of killing off Britains most loved wartime PM but heck, I do my best :)

Defeat!

londres2.jpg

"This is a Goddamned dissaster!" yelled a red-faced British Colonial Secretary to the empty drawing-room. It was supposed to be a time of celebration, the dawn of a new century, however the first months of the new year had passed in a flurry of activity punctuated by sleepless nights despite the doses of valium prescribed by his doctor. Chamberlain had deteriorated both physicaly and mentaly over the last year, the man that had once been a veritable imiage of the trappings of Victorian high-life was now drawn and gaunt, his hair receeding and greying at the temples.

The war was over, the letter he had recieved, complete with the Queens personal wax-seel. He slumped back into the folds of the leather backed reading chair, covering his face with his hands. How had it come to this? For past month the British forces in the Cape Coloney had actually managed to regain some of the lost territory, breaking the Boer offensive only a hundred kilometres from Cape Town.

The war had been a fiasco of mistakes, Boer commandoes inside the Cape Coloney had rendered railways, telegraph lines and roads unusable through a new and unseen kind of warfare, one the British commanders simply could not combat resulting in massive British casualties as men charged into the crossfire of entrenched Maxim guns. Diplomaticaly too it had been a nightmare, all of Europe viewed Britain as a tyrannical deamon repressing the rights and freedoms of the "valiant" Boers. For heavens sake its been proved the Germans were activley trading with them for years, Chamberlain thaught.

Only a month earlier a former British POW named Charles Busbee had stumbled out of the grasslands after having treked for several weeks overland through Boer territory to reach the Cape Coloney. He had brought with him terrible news, the Boers were indeed making use of German-manufactured heavy equipment and indeed his very camp had been under the supervision of a German commandant.

Busbee was instantly made a national hero, the newspapers adored him and his story was out before anyone in the Colonial Office, or anywhere else for that matter, could cencor it, and it had been this that would seal the fate of the South African war.

The general public was incenced and immidiatly made calls to declair war against Germany, however the German Kaiser, accompanied by Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands had haistily visited the ailing Queen Victoria. Wilhelm had, or so Chamberlains sources indicated, outright threatened his Aunt with war, claiming that Austria, Italy, Germany and the Netherlands all stood ready to oppose British Imperialism on the Horn of Africa should the matter not be resolved imidiantly. Queen Victoria was an ailing monarch, seldom able to leave the confines of her bedroom and after threats of war from one of her favourite nephews, a war that could bring all of Europe together in a common cause against the Empire she had built, Victoria signed the orders to pull out of South Africa herself. Two days later Victoria died following a massive stroke brought on by a broken heart and spirit.

He had recieved the news of the Queens death two hours ago while the letter of surrender still lay freshly opened on his writing table. Chamberlain began to weep pitifully, silent sobs wracking his thin frame. All he had worked for, all he strived for, gone.

The thick oaken doors of the study dulled the thunderous crack of the ornamental revolver. It would be two days untill anyone found the body of the Colonial Secretary, once one of the most powerful men in the Empire, slumped over his desk in a pool of his own blood.

very nice update! and now the boers are independent!

Well for the time being all thats happened is the now dead Queen signed an order to pull out all British military forces from the Cape, the Boers will now have to move in, consolodate the take over, decide how to merge what was in practice three seperate nations into one and try to keep a disgruntled british civilian population in the provinces from revolting as well as gain international recognition.... its still all uphill for the Boers but the hill just got a whole heap easier to climb

Churchill... Chamberlain... :eek:

Who's next on the hit list? Wilson? Clemenceau? :D

Mmm, perhaps they will find the war the easy part, whatever it looked like. Peace can be a tricky thing at the best of times.

Pirate Z said:
Who's next on the hit list? Wilson? Clemenceau? :D

Hitler, I s'pose.

Yes, infant Hitler is one of the many German Colonists who emigrate to South Africa.

Yes, infant Hitler is one of the many German Colonists who emigrate to South Africa.

:eek: *steals the idea and runs off*

will the empire honour the dead queens last wishes

Queen Victoria was an imensly popular monarch and I believe most of the members of the British hierachy would see that a war invlolving the Central Powers (plus the Netherlands) without France taking a side would simply be too destructive....

Churchill... Chamberlain...

This Chamberlain actually happens to be the great mans father, dear Nevill has already been born so hes still hanging around in the wings

Thankyou all for the feedback, the backstory is almost complete and now I just need to start modding the game (which I have no idea how to do beyond replacing maps ect) to represent the changes in time-line between historic WWII South Africa and the new one... help would be appreciated

Great AAR! Actually it´s the first one I´ve read as I became curious by your flagrequest. Just a question are the Boer republics still soverign nations or have they formed an union?

Thus far the British have just recieved the order to pull out, political intrigue is on the horrison as the Boers try to figure out how to rule their new territories in South Africa

Iron-Chef said:
Thus far the British have just recieved the order to pull out, political intrigue is on the horrison as the Boers try to figure out how to rule their new territories in South Africa

So I can assume that Natal will win the showdown with the Oranje FS (the flag was a modified Natal flag).

So I can assume that Natal will win the showdown with the Oranje FS (the flag was a modified Natal flag).

I believe you mean Transvaal rather than Natal, as Natal was a British territory and the flag shown was that of the Transvaal Republic, which was always the dominant of the two Boer nations, being both larger, richer and more developed, that alone would warrant the choice of flag, however my creative mind is already kicking something around for how exactly this flag gets to be chosen

Iron-Chef said:
I believe you mean Transvaal rather than Natal, as Natal was a British territory and the flag shown was that of the Transvaal Republic, which was always the dominant of the two Boer nations, being both larger, richer and more developed, that alone would warrant the choice of flag, however my creative mind is already kicking something around for how exactly this flag gets to be chosen

My bad, but anyway it will be intresting to read how it all ends

bw0.jpg

The mounted collumn rode slowly through the quiet streets of the once thriving economic metropolis situated on the Southern tip of Africa. At its very head, resplendid in uniforms ordered soley for the day was the victorious President of the Trasnvaal Republic, Paul Kruger, flanked by his greatest Generals, De la Rey and Botha.

The British had only days after recieving the order from the now deceaced Queen pulled out en masse from their last bastions in the Cape Colony. The massive troopships that had brought the soldiers from Portsmouth only months earlier now ferried a cargo of soldiers and fleeing British settlers back to England.

On several street corners Boer citizens of the city cheered on their liberators, while the British who had decided to remain glared sollemnly out of closed windows, pulling their children close as the Boer cavalry and infantry marched towards the city centre.

The narrow streets opened up to a wide plaza and in the centre sat the Houses of Parliament, the administrative centre of the British holdings in Southern Africa. Kruger could only smile and shake his head slowly, the huge buildings were a testament to the vast riches and importance of the colloney to the British Crown, now however they were his, finaly his people were free of the enemies he had faught for decades, first the Zulu hordes and now the British overlords, the Boers had won, his desperate gamble started all those years ago when he had met the German Kaiser in Berlin had payed off.

Kruger dismounted his massive war-horse, muffling a grunt of pain as two foot-soldiers raced to aid the aging leader in his decent, Kruger couldnt help but curse the failings of old age as he climbed the steps to the Parliament building.

The square was quickly filling with people, not only Boers but Indians, Hottentots and British, curiosity outweighing their initial trepidation for their new rulers. There was a near carnival atmosphere among the usualy serious Boer soldiers.

On que two huge flags unfurled from the roof of the building, one of the Transvaal and the other of the Oranje Republic, bringing raucus cheers from the ammased Boer soldiers. Kruger, now flanked by a mass of aids held up a hand for silence, clearing his thoat.

"My dear friends, today we see the fruits of our labors, we have defeated the unwarrented agression of the British and emerged from our struggle victorious!"

Another round of cheering interrupted the bearded leaders speech, obliging Kruger to once more raise a hand for silence.

"Today is a proud day for all of us, for today I have the privilage, nay the pleasure to announce the creation of a new and proud nation, the Union of South Africa!"

With that the entire crowd erupted in cheers, the soldier and civilian alike hugging eachother with abandon.

De la Rey, concieled in the crowd, felt a tear slide unbidden down his rugged cheek, so, he thaught, we have won.... but at what cost?

3b40894r.jpg

The Houses of Parliament of the newly proclaimed Union of South Africa​

Last edited: