• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Election of 1909

The election of 1909 was marked by a number of surprises, including a startlingly vicious election campaign launched by the DDP against its coalition allies – somewhat souring relations – and even more astonishingly a series of amateurish blunders on the part of the Communist Party involving scandal, internal divisions, a lack of direction and a number of much publicised defections to the Social Democrats.

1909 saw the Weimar parties who had formed the Republic in 1898 and dominated its politics thereafter retain a substantial majority – even making gains in light of the collapse of the Communist vote. The Populists suffered minor losses, weakened by a resurgent Centre Party whilst the DDP’s vote lost around ¼ of its vote – pointing towards the failure of its prominent propaganda campaigns during the election. Alongside the Centre Party, which increased its share of the vote more than any other party save the recently formed DAP, the SPD was the biggest winner amongst the Weimar parties – the KPD’s collapse sending a significant share of the vote over to the Social Democrats. The disastrous nature of the Communist showing in 1909 is hard to exaggerate, the party saw its share of the vote fall by 9% to around 2% - leaving the party with a paltry 11 seats in the Reichstag and sending German Communism into a period of introspection and internal conflict as the party sought to renew itself. From the horrendous showing of the far left, the extreme right was triumphant. The fascistic German Workers’ Party won more votes than anyone had predicted as it secured 59 Reichstag seats, leading some to predict the party’s future emergence of the leading anti-Republican force on the German right. Despite its losses to the DAP seeing it fall from the position of the Reichstag’s largest party, the DNVP had reason to be confident following 1909 as the share of the assembly held by the anti-Republican right actually increased to an all-time high not far shy of 1/3 – it was clear that there existed a genuinely powerful threat to the existence of the German Republic, but no longer did it come from the left, but the political right.

The emergence of the German Workers’ Party had made cooperation between the ‘bourgeoisie’ Weimar parties (the DDP and DZP) with right far less attractive than in the past, making the continuation of the pre-election coalition little more than a case of renegotiating the coalition. With the retirement of reigning Chancellor Eugen Richter, and the fall in the DDP’s share of the vote, not to mention the sores left by the election campaign, a new Chancellor had to be appointed and President Stegerwald was determined that he not be another Liberal. Although Stegerwald and his party were keen on retaining the allegiance of the DDP to the governing coalition, they were no longer necessarily required for a majority (the SPD, FVP, and DZP being capable of forming a majority on their own) freeing the Populists to appeal to their less abrasive allies. The SPD was satiated with a promise of further reforms in the form of a limit to the working day at 12 hours and funds for the improved provision of healthcare whilst former President and Centre Party leader Konstantin Fehrenbach was offered the Chancellery alongside a commitment to offer funds to religiously controlled hospitals (particularly common in the Catholic South) – improving Church controlled facilities rather than aiming to replace them with secular, state controlled institutions. With the Centrists and Social Democrats satisfied the three parties all enthusiastically backed plans to leave the present, apparently highly successful, economic policies in place.

Having suffered losses at the polls and been shunned by their allies, the DDP was faced with an unenviable choice. On the one hand many within the party, including its leader Naumann, were eager to remain in government and attempt to reign in the reforming ambition of the left wing parties. However, rank and file pressure from market evangelists influenced by the emerging Austrian school of economics, and Liberal Nationalist historians made participation in government unfeasible. Caught within a rock and a hard place Naumann led the DDP out of government for the first time since the foundation of the Republic – promising to protect any Republican government from the right but finding himself unable to participate in a government than called for social reform and heavy state intervention in the economy.

I for one would certainly vote for this Freie Zentrumspartei, oder so etwas.

Naturally, in the spirit of anschluss merger, the party's name would be a portmanteau of the two existing names. From the FVP we shall take the words "Free People's" and from the Centre Party we shall take the word "party." So, we'll be called the "Free People's Party" then.

There is. ;)

I was more going for "obvious" in my query. ;)

((I hope you all know that I'm not serious - most of the times ._. ))

Don't worry, we do. Just like we know various Estonian beflagged gentlemen aren't actually paper-hat-wearing fascists. :p

I will sport the rank "Offensichtlichhauptleute" with pride. ;)

I applaud this new government, free of outside intervention the Old Alliance of FVP and SPD has resumed the reigns of power. Ten More Years! :)

Don't worry, we do. Just like we know various Estonian beflagged gentlemen aren't actually paper-hat-wearing fascists. :p

Yeah, the paper hat part is obviously not true.:)

Also, the post-election weather from this side of the room is looking "cloudy with a chance of coup d'etat".

Why do I get the feeling that I'm partly affecting the outcome?

Bah! I miss the days when Tommy would actually write his readers into the AAR itself. Who could forget Che Kadon and anarcho-cannibalist Enewald? :)

I actually do wonder why we still have a Zentrumpartei in this day and age. The party has no policies, no vision and no chance of winning an election. Its only function over the past few elections (and possibly this one too) has been to let the DNVP form a government. If the party is prepared to give up its silly outdated views on protectionism, social reform and such, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't have the honour of being amalgamated into the FVP.

I chuckle reading this before and after the update. :laugh:

I chuckle reading this before and after the update. :laugh:

There are longer AAR-related posts involving fictional Italian republics you could have read and commented on instead. :p

There are longer AAR-related posts involving fictional Italian republics you could have read and commented on instead. :p

I checked three days ago or so you still hadn't updated. Or maybe a week ago during my cold. So there is an update?!

How about British monarchies? :p

Oh but I am reading it - I just got somewhat sidetracked by the need to confirm that Victoria and Albert were indeed, legally able to marry. :)

Why do I get the feeling that I'm partly affecting the outcome?

Anyway, I'm representing the radical wing of the DDP :(

I always pay attention to what people are discussing in the threads of these AARs for ideas and direction. It seemed that the most vocal DDP supporters of late have been very militant in their opposition to the economic interventionism which seems to becoming orthodoxy amongst the Weimar parties - making a partial break with them, and dropping out of government make sense.

You never know, being in opposition could be a good thing for your party.

Wait, I'm not clearly sure what the coalition is. Is it a FVP/DDP/DZP or a FVP/SPD/DZP coalition?

EDIT: Re-read the thing. It's FVP/SPD/DZP. Okay.

Yeah, its FVP-SPD-DZP.

I'm quite busy tomorrow so I'm not sure if I'll be able to play through the game a write the update, so we might have a schedule similar to last weeks' with the gameplay update coming on Wednesday and the election opening on Thursday.

It seemed that the most vocal DDP supporters of late have been very militant in their opposition to the economic interventionism

Yes, both of them. :p