• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tommy4ever

Papa Bear
43 Badges
Sep 13, 2008
  • Rome Gold
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Diplomacy
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines

January, 1861, just over a decade on from the Revolutions of 1848 Prussia has crowned a new King for the first time since 1840. Dividing sharply between a liberal and democratic Left and a traditionalist, aristocratic Right the country is set to enter its first elections under the new King. With the pull towards German nationalism and unification causing fissures among both conservatives and liberals the Kingdom of Prussia is entering what could be the most decisive moments in its history and that of all Germany.

Hello and welcome to Blood and Iron! This is my third attempt at an interactive AAR after Let the Ruling Classes Tremble and Vive La Republique, and hopefully the first I will actually complete :p. Here we will be following Prussia and any successor states ie NGF and Germany that might arise (although your votes could potentially halt the drive to German unification altogether!)

Unlike most interactive AARs on this forum the directly interactive portion of the AAR is limited to elections, although free debate among readers is encouraged and is one of the things that makes interactive AARs so great. I will also be influenced by the debates you guys have in this thread - if you've read any of my previous interactive AARs you will know that user demand can greatly effect the direction I go with this (for example high demand in Vive La Republique saw me introduce Bonapartists when I hadn't planned on doing so).

Elections should occur every 5-6 years or so, although the constitution of Prussia/NGF/Germany may well change and the form and frequency of these elections could differ (we could change from a parliamentary system to a presidential system for example). However the interactive element of the AAR will always remain. In the first election you shall be electing the Prussian Landtag.

There will be a bolded section at the end of each election update giving specific instructions on how to place your vote and also details of when the polls close. I will post in the thread, RL allowing, when the polls are closed and after that no further votes will be counted.

When you do vote I ask that you either place it in an entirely seperate post or bold it to make it easier for me to tally them.

Now on with the rules.

The Rules

- I as host reserve the right to veto any action any player wishes to undertake: To consolidate the stability of the AAR, to stop interference with the normal functioning of the thread or simply because I feel like it.

- You may not create your own political parties, militias, rebel groups or anything else. The only such groups that exist within the AAR are the ones I present.

- I ask that roleplaying is limited and that people use their own forum nicknames in the thread so as to avoid confusion.

- Campaigning outside the thread is forbidden.

- Refrain for spamming, inciting hate or otherwise harassing people within the thread.

- If you want to contact me I would prefer if you used my profile visitor message board rather than PM me, I usually have quite a full PM box.

- By taking part in this thread I assume you have read these rules. If I feel that these rules are being broken I will first post a warning in this thread, if the offending behaviour continues I shall not hesitate to inform a moderator.

- This AAR has been approved by Qorten.

Contents

A Brief History of Prussia to 1861

The Election of 1861

The Election of 1861 (Conclusion)

1861-1863 - Gott Mit Uns

The Election of 1863

The Election of 1863 (Conclusion)

1863-1869 - Blood and Iron

The Election of 1869

The Election of 1869 (Conclusion)

1869-1873 - Three Hurrahs!

The Election of 1873

The Election of 1873 (Conclusion)

1873-1878 - A Place in the Sun

The Election of 1878

The Election of 1878 (Conclusion)

1878-1883 - Darker Clouds

The Election of 1883

The Election of 1883 (Conclusion)

1883-1887 - Dawn is Breaking

The Election of 1887

The Election of 1887 (Conclusion)

1887-1893 - The Eagle Has No Fear

The Election of 1893

The Election of 1893 (Conclusion)

1893-1896 - Into the Abyss

1896-1898 - The End of the Beginning, Part One

1896-1898 - The End of the Beginning, Part Two

The Election of 1898

The Election of 1898 (Conclusion)

1898-1903 - Let the ruling classes tremble

The Election of 1903

The Election of 1903 (Conclusion)

1903-1909 - The Golden Noughties

The Election of 1909

The Election of 1909 (Conclusion)

1909-1914 - The German Century?

The Election of 1914

The Election of 1914 (Conclusion)

1914-1920 - Dancing on a Volcano

Germany and the World in 1920

The Election of 1920

The Election of 1920 (Conclusion)

1920-1925 The Republic is evil, the Republic is death

Men have grown tired of liberty 1925-1928

The Election of 1928

The Election of 1928 (Conclusion)

Blood and Iron - Germany's road to modernity (Part One)

Blood and Iron - Germany's road to modernity (Part Two)

The Hall of Fame

THE END

Last edited:
A Brief History of Prussia to 1861

Emerging from the fusion of Ducal Prussia (which was itself a successor state of the Baltic Crusader Teutonic Order) and the Magraviate of Brandenburg, Prussia rose to the ranks of the Great Powers through military conquests in the 18th century. By the outbreak of the Napoleonic Wars it had emerged as Germany’s second power, behind only Austria. Participation in the Napoleonic Wars, saw Prussia’s star rise yet further and at the Congress of Vienna it was awarded the potentially invaluable Rhineland as a buffer against French ambitions in the newly formed German Confederation.

As Prussia began to emerge as a genuine challenger to Habsburg Austria for hegemony in Germany the old order was shaken by the tumultuous events of 1848. In the revolutionary wave that swept across Europe few countries were effect so deeply as Germany. Here liberalism combined with demands of German Unification – the Frankfurt Assembly even offered the German Crown to the King of Prussia, who rejected it. When the dust finally settled on the Year of Revolutions the Prussian regime had survived – although it now had a new constitution. This new constitution allowed for a potentially powerful elected chamber, the Landtag, to emerge – even if real power continued to rest in the hands of the monarchy.

Left - King Wilhelm I of Prussia , Right – Prince Karl Anton, Minister-President​

With the ascension of the new King of Prussia – Wilhelm I – the country was run by centrist leaning conservatives – Prince Karl Anton heading the government as Minister-President. Rather ambivalent towards the idea of unification, the government of the day was lackadaisical at best. It had certainly not caught up with the changing political and diplomatic realities of the latter 19th century. The lazy world of aristocratic Prussian politics was about to face far more dynamic challenges from both right and left.

Left -Max von Forckenbeck, DFP founder and leader , Right - Otto von Bismarck, leading light of the Conservatives

From the Left the powerful political forces awoken during the 1848 Revolution had never gone away. In 1860 Prussia’s liberals had taken a quantum leap forward in political organisation with the foundation of the German Progress Party by Max von Forckenbeck and his allies. Now grouped into a single powerful party, with a single platform on which all its candidates looked to stand on, not to mention a central leadership the German Progress Party was the first real modern political party in all of Germany, and was a vastly more advanced organisation than anything else existing in Prussia.

The Conservatives, in stark contrast, were little more than a loose collection of right leaning aristocrats – essentially an alliance of all forces opposed to liberalism and 1848. With groupings of German nationalists alongside Prussian opposed to unification, of arch reactionaries and more pragmatic figures the Conservatives look ill-disposed to compete with the modernising liberals in the coming elections. However, the dusty centrist conservative leaders heading Prussia’s government did face real opposition within their own political block as the dynamic figure of Otto von Bismarck continued to rise in prominence. Perhaps the future of German conservatism lay with men like Bismarck rather than the more moderate and stated figures heading the King’s government?

And so it begins...

The Election of 1861

The emergence of the organised liberal DFP there seemed to be tangible hopes amongst progressives in Prussia that the conservatives that had ruled for so long might be replaced with a reforming and pro-democratic government. However, the powerful forces of tradition and the Prussian military aristocracy stood in opposition, with the King behind them they felt confident the liberals could be held at bay.

Conservative Party (Konservative Partei)
- KP

Political Position: Right

Description:

The Conservatives are in reality not a party but rather a loose faction backing the King and the existing order. Opposing reforms the Conservatives have no clear position on German unification with substantial elements openly opposed to unification (certainly with the Catholic South) whilst others are strongly German nationalist. However, the King has traditionally looked towards the Conservative factions for support for his government and it is from the Conservatives that the ruling Minister-President – Prince Karl Anton – is drawn.

Party Leader: No clear leader, although Prince Karl Anton and Otto von Bismarck are perhaps the most popular figures

Foreign Policy:

Prussia should pursue a sensible foreign policy aiming to totally avoid conflicts that involve more than a single major power. Any moves towards German unity must only be taken with total Prussian supremacy assured. However, Prussia shall unconditionally support members of the German Confederation against acts of foreign aggression – this included but is not limited to attempts by the Danes to integrate the Duchies of Schleswig and Holstein. Prussia must also make motions to ensure its primacy as the leader of the German Confederations – ahead of Catholic Austria.

Military Policy:

Helmuth von Molke and Albercht von Roon have set out a plan for the reorganisation and expansion of the Prussian Army so that we might continue to field the greatest of all Europe’s armies. Funds will be direly needed for this project, invaluable to the security and prestige of the Prussian nation – the Conservatives will back the reforms without exception.

Economic Policy:

It is agricultural, not industrial or commercial power upon which a genuinely lasting economy is built. We must support our native agriculture with a minimum tariff of 10% - the funds raised from tariffs may be used to reduce the taxes on our citizens. We should use subsidies to support any valuable war industries in order to ensure independence from foreigners; such industries might be expanded to meet the increased demands of our military.

Proper education is extremely important; the Prussian state shall back the education programmes of the Lutheran Church, and involve itself in areas in which the Church is unable to step in.

With the need for economic development in the countryside and improved education the Conservatives would ensure a minimum of 3 National focuses on encouraging clergymen and railways or war industry.

Political Reform:

The Conservatives oppose any political reforms.

German Progress Party (Deutsche Forschrittspartei)
- DFP

Political Position: Left

Description:
The DFP is the first real political party in German history with a central leadership and unified platform. Supporting unification (through diplomacy or popular action) based upon a Prussian leadership and the democratisation of Prussian and German society alike, the party seeks to make a genuine liberal challenge for power for the first time since 1848.

Party Leader: Max von Forckenbeck

Foreign Policy:

Prussia must seek the unification of the German nation under her own leadership. The German people demand a nation to call their own – only Prussia has the means and political will to accomplish this feat.

Long Live Germany!

Military Policy:

The DFP will oppose any attempts to draw further much needed funds towards the army. The Prussian army may seek modernisation and reforms – but it shall not make the Prussian state its servant and leave our government with an even greater financial burden.

Economic Policy:

The DFP knows that the future of the German economy is the development of a vast and powerful industrial base – this can only be secured by the growth of a thriving entrepreneurial community and a strong work ethic amongst the German people. Moreover the party is firmly committed to free trade policies that ensure the upmost freedom for the market and Prussian industry.

We therefor commit ourselves to abolishing all tariffs on foreign goods and a maximum tax rate of 25% for the wealthiest in order to encourage investment in our industry.

The DFP will have a minimum of three national focuses encouraging capitalists and or clerks at all times.

Political Reforms:

Prussia must transform herself into a constitutional monarchy on the British model in which the elected legislature, the Landtag, maintains control of government and political supremacy. We must also seek improved freedoms of the press and of assembly whilst constraints of political parties must be removed. The Upper House shall not be reformed, in order that the King might continue to have an important role in Prussian politics – simply a less supreme role.

Democracy is the future of both Prussia and of Germany.

All reader must either vote for:

Conservative Party

DFP

! You may write the full name, shortened name or the German name of any party, so long as it is clear to me who you are voting for !

Please place your vote in a separate post or bold it within your post so it is easier for me to keep a tally.

Once again, spamming is not tolerated, you may not campaign outside this thread and I ask that you remain civil with each other.

Voting will close on Monday at 10 AM, I will post in this thread to officially close the polls and return with the results shortly later.

Interesting idea Tommy. Seems you need a little bit of support, so I'll put my hat into the ring and vote Deutsche Fortschrittspartei, chiefly because I could never vote Tory! ;)

An intriguing take on the interactive AAR, for sure. I haven't read either of your previous attempts, but I'll be sure to follow here as best I can.

Good luck!

I vote for the DFP!

Mainly because this seems to push Prussia in a different direction than it historically went, and a more liberal Prussia could (?) eventually lead to releasing part of the Polish state (small chances of that, though ^^). Mostly, I'm interested to see how Prussia is influenced by their policies and hope to see it become the oasis of liberalism by the end of this.
Mind you, I have no clue as to how Vicky 2's mechanics work as I've not yet played it. DFP seems like the worse option at the start from the player's standpoint, but I do not know that for sure. I kind of hope that it is, because it means more struggle and a more interesting AAR.

I VOTE THE DFP TOO
Is this how it is done in interactive AARs?

I must say that with only two parties this election looks as if it it'l be quite one sided... I concur with my Prussian brethren and cast my vote for the FDP, er.. DFP. For Empress Vicky!

Is this how it is done in interactive AARs?

Only in the proper ones. :)

I vote the KP.

Already too many liberals...such terrible creatures.

Already too many liberals...such terrible creatures.

Bah! Were it not for the action of such so-called "terrible creatures" during the Spring of '48, neither of us would have the freedom to cast such a vote! Do you not feel that the German people have been subjected to enough equivocality from your party in regards to the all-important German question? I say we owe our collective masters a better answer than that.

Konservative partei.

By the way, Tommy; if the DFP are anti-military (and I'm assuming a very mild anti-military stance considering the fact that they're, well, Prussian) how do they propose German unification? Shrewd diplomacy and tact?

I'm not as acquainted with latter-game Vicky mechanics as I could be (meaning I've only just installed Windows 7 and haven't yet had a chance to play AHD and HoD...) – is an EU-esque diplo-annexation possible?

By the way, Tommy; if the DFP are anti-military (and I'm assuming a very mild anti-military stance considering the fact that they're, well, Prussian) how do they propose German unification? Shrewd diplomacy and tact?

I'm not as acquainted with latter-game Vicky mechanics as I could be (meaning I've only just installed Windows 7 and haven't yet had a chance to play AHD and HoD...) – is an EU-esque diplo-annexation possible?

Technically no, but there is an event/decision which allows any (culturally) German nation to diplo annex the rest of Germany if the right conditions are met. (ie. have enough German territories, incl. Alsace-Lorraine in your SoI) Regardless, if Prussia wishes to trigger the "Three Hurrahs" it has to take Alsace-Lorraine off France first, and that would require force.

Technically no, but there is an event/decision which allows any (culturally) German nation to diplo annex the rest of Germany if the right conditions are met. (ie. have enough German territories, incl. Alsace-Lorraine in your SoI) Regardless, if Prussia wishes to trigger the "Three Hurrahs" it has to take Alsace-Lorraine off France first, and that would require force.

I had thought as much – hence my confusion at the anti-military stance.

Of course, anti-military isn't pacifist...

I had thought as much – hence my confusion at the anti-military stance.

Of course, anti-military isn't pacifist...

Tommy correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I interpreted the DFP's military policy was that is was more against excessive militarism and equally excessive military spending than against any military advantures or indeed the military itself.

Tommy correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I interpreted the DFP's military policy was that is was more against excessive militarism and equally excessive military spending than against any military advantures or indeed the military itself.

That's how I tend to interpret it. I think the DFP would see war with France for Elsaß as a necessary 'struggle' (for want of a better word) and rather be opposed to uniting all of the Germanic states by force. My initial confusion was really more to do with whether or not an 'anti-military' option was available to Prussia in uniting Germany.

Yeah, the DFP doesn't want to spend funds on allowing for further expansion of the military and would rather like to see the army's influence decline but is by no means pacifist. They would be less keen to use their army to unite Germany but not totally opposed to the idea.

In RL the DFP's stance was a major political issue.

To form the NGF a war with Denmark is necessary, to form Germany I at least need to fight France and maybe Austria too if I can't outmanoeuvre them in Southern Germany.

That's how I tend to interpret it. I think the DFP would see war with France for Elsaß as a necessary 'struggle' (for want of a better word) and rather be opposed to uniting all of the Germanic states by force. My initial confusion was really more to do with whether or not an 'anti-military' option was available to Prussia in uniting Germany.

That's a definite no, because you can't "trade" states outside of a peace deal, and E-L is a prerequisite to forming Germany. He can however, form the NGF without it IIRC.

In RL the DFP's stance was a major political issue.

Not to give the game away or anything, but wasn't it one of the main reasons why the party split?