• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter I - Gearing up for war

Players: United Kingdom, France, Poland, Soviet Union, Germany, Italy, Japan

Prologue: It had been terrible years after that Great War. It had not been fair. Germany did everything right, but they had been abandoned. And then they were punished the hardest. A new man had risen. The man, the myth, the hero. He would set things right. The people could feel the smell of fresh air driving away the smog of poverty and disgrace from the streets of Berlin and all over Germany.

Learning from past mistakes, Germany’s set up of Allies were different, and Germany would not have to rely on them too much either. Japan was a naval giant who surely would give United Kingdom problems when the time was ripe… perhaps when France was gone and the Brits were all alone. And the Japs were already warming up.

1_zps7b298979.jpg

December 19th, 1938

Japanese forces are slowly cutting the Chinese defense in two. If that succeeds, they will have little chances left to resist the attackers. That is good. It is important Japan can focus on the international arena.

Authors note: Maxyboy is playing Japan. The Allied team chosen not to put a player on Nat China this time, even though we modded them up even more than last time (+10 in start up officer ratio). It is at least good to see it take more time to beat them in this version.

2_zpsd7111cac.jpg

January 2nd, 1939

As Germany obtained more than half of former Czechoslovakia the world perhaps though that Hitler was satisfied – but that was wrong. The Soviet Union played along the German script and accepted a pact. With the Italians part of the Axis, Germany had secured both the back and the flank. The show could begin.

3_zpsb05f8694.jpg

March 24th, 1939

Hidden behind a “transportation exercise” two army corps of totally 8 divisions and about 80 000 men, including veteran engineers and brand new artillery brigades, were moved into the center of Prussia and camped away far away from larger gatherings of populace. These forces had the extremely important objective of securing Warszawa and Grodno.

4_zps733035df.jpg

March 28th, 1939

Japan has conquered Nationalist China. Good news!

Authors note: Or actually not. It seem tricky to modd the Chinese to give the “proper” resistance. Guess we’ll make them even tougher next time….

Authors note II: As the game gets all confused by these two war goals we modded them to a proper "conquer".

5_zps26e94bee.jpg

March 29th, 1939

Will the average German lived on his life feeling things finally ere getting better, Hitler and his advisors knew harder times awaited – and behind the darkness was light. And the light was the Third Reich. But there were forces out there wanting to stop this from happening. The Allies worked furiously to paint Hitler and his fellow hard working Nazis like evil people and form up the world against them. Well, United Kingdom has had their shot at world dominance and little good came from it. It was time for Germany to show how it is done.

The Royal Navy had parked a heavy Battle Ship Task Force in Öresund trying to convince themselves they got it covered while babbling about protecting the independence of Denmark. The Danes had obviously believed their rant and granted them transit rights. As if it would help.

Even so, Hitler started to doubt his initial plan. He regretted once talking about how the Brits could stop Germany by Denmark with a Russian diplomat while drunk. He had stopped drinking now, but he feared the Soviets had told the Brits. The plan was to strike hard at Denmark while declaring war on the Poles. However, the Allies had clearly positioned themselves to stop that. Although Hitler was yearning to show them their error, he was advised by the delegates from Italy and Japan to wait and finish of the Poles first - although that would mean fighting the Poles with the Baltic Sea open to the Brits. He did not like that a bit. However, as the Allies clearly waited for him to strike at Denmark it could be good fun NOT to do it, only to force them to think again and think new. In any case, it was soon time to roll the dice.

1_zpscef803b4.jpg

April 17th, 1939

The Allies clearly expected Germany to attack the Danes and stationed troops, apparently only cavalry and perhaps a corresponding HQ. Germany moved a light panzer division to the Danish border to further bolster the belief of an eminent attack. Also, the Wehrmacht started to position themselves to be able to throw of an Allied landing on the North Sea coast.

2_zpse088e6ae.jpg

April 17th-19th, 1939

U-boats reported huge Royal Navy presence around the German coast. The Brits clearly did expect something and wanted to be ready. The question was what they were expecting. Hitler did NOT want to give them what they were expecting.

3_zps384d4341.jpg

April 28th, 1939

It was time to mobilize the few reserves. None of these would be used offensively, but it was unclear what the Allies would do – and how fast. Hitler expected a push over the Maginot and some kind of amphibious landing.

Against the North Sea, Germany was fairly well protected, at least against small and medium landings. The coast against the Baltic Sea was too long to be defended along the entire coast and they had to rely and a mobile reserves and troops actually in Berlin. It was not expected, however, that the Allies would dare some large operation inside the Baltic Sea as they could become trapped there.

…...................................

It all about guessing and deceiving. In any case, Germany would play the first card. It is time for action!

Next chapter: War!

Cunning pre emptive strategy by the allies.Really keeps the germans on their toes here.This is an ugly early lock.Will have to see if the luftwaffe can help though.Looking forward.

CTFs with proper light cruiser support aren´t easy to sink, however. But the damage will be worth it even then. However if the brit is focusing a lot in army then allowing invasions from Denmark might be troublesome. At least this time I hope they don´t allow SU to make a two front war.

The cards are played , SU won't move too soon with the pact , we'll see what will happen next ... even with a player , I expect Poland to fall quickly.

The new TFH wargoal for Japan in China might help here. It gives Japan the coast and forces a NAP. Keeps Japan on their toes in the East until the NAP expires!

I think there should be house rules on Allied aggression. They're supposed to be the good guys. :p

The new TFH wargoal for Japan in China might help here. It gives Japan the coast and forces a NAP. Keeps Japan on their toes in the East until the NAP expires!

I think there should be house rules on Allied aggression. They're supposed to be the good guys. :p

I think you're forgetting that, in real life, the Allies invaded Iran in order to supply the Soviets when the North Sea froze over.

There is. Each neutral the Allies/Comintern DoWs raise US neutrality by one.

There is. Each neutral the Allies/Comintern DoWs raise US neutrality by one.
How is that done, exactly?

Editing the save everytime a DoW goes out would be unpractical.. I would give the UK 2 decisions for it, one raising and one lowering USA's neutrality. They would be flagged as major decisions so that everyone would get the message whenever UK does it. And if the Brits don't want the "decision available" icon stuck there permanently, you could make the decisions check to see if Britain has a certain minister of intelligence to be available. Think of it as the flip-cover on the big red buttons for launching nukes.

How is that done, exactly?

We will edit it in the save file after the session - if it is not THE LAST point necessary. And maybe not even after the last session. We might wait and see if any faction do several DOWs or if various DOWs ballance each other out. Even if it might effect a few events, the really big event is the US entry.

subbed.

So much intel leads to the allies wanting to push from the north/baltic sea that it makes me wonder if it's not a sort of trap to lock divisions there.

This seems like a very good move by the Allies. Either you'll have to fight a British naval invasion close to Berlin, or you'll end up keeping a lot of reserves to counter an invasion that will not come. The troops in Copenhagen look like a decoy to me, though. Some HQ's and cavalry division(s)? Not exactly the elite stormtroopers you'd want to be using for an attack on the Reich. Unless, of course, they want to use the cavalry in a blitz... I'm confusing myself now, really :confused:, there are so many possible tactics!

I wish you, this game's Führer, a lot of luck though, and most of all a long and exicting game.

Hitler was not smoking and drinking, so that's unrealstic ;)

Which Hitler are you talking about? I hope you don't take me for the real one ;) This one happens to like a drink or two.

I was actually trying to describe that I told Zid about this plan when I was going to play Soviet. Now when I was Germany, I got to taste my own plan. It bothered me a little bit, but it also felt like playing against myself which was interesting in a way.

The troops in Copenhagen look like a decoy to me, though. Some HQ's and cavalry division(s)? Not exactly the elite stormtroopers you'd want to be using for an attack on the Reich. Unless, of course, they want to use the cavalry in a blitz... I'm confusing myself now, really :confused:, there are so many possible tactics!

Cav is strong enough if I would like to drop paratroopers on top of un-mobilized Danes. The Cavs would make the whole difference. So I don't see them as a decoy but a very efficient blocker of my plan. It is more or less impossible to launch an attack directly against Copenhagen now if I don't want to make a huge gamle.

I was actually trying to describe that I told Zid about this plan when I was going to play Soviet. Now when I was Germany, I got to taste my own plan. It bothered me a little bit, but it also felt like playing against myself which was interesting in a way.

In my defense, CptEasys fixation on Denmark is not unknown in our gaming group. Remember how he held Denmark in Royal Carnage? I was more than happy to let him be on the recieving end, if possible, this time.