• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(61489)

The Stoker
Oct 5, 2006
I've been playing EU for a while now with no problems (On XP btw) but all of a sudden it started to blink at me. Every couple of seconds the screen would flash black for about a millisecond, just enough for it to be noticeable, and then go back to normal. It's bloody annoying and I wonder if anybody knows what's going on or how to fix it. I've already tried reinstaling the game and restarting my comp to no avail.

acci_dent said:
I've been playing EU for a while now with no problems (On XP btw) but all of a sudden it started to blink at me. Every couple of seconds the screen would flash black for about a millisecond, just enough for it to be noticeable, and then go back to normal. It's bloody annoying and I wonder if anybody knows what's going on or how to fix it. I've already tried reinstaling the game and restarting my comp to no avail.

Most likely it's a program running in background. Many people have problems with musicmatch. Check what program who is running in the background . Musicmatch is mm.exe.

You could also try the standard advice(TM)

Castellon said:
1) Make sure you have the latest patch for the game.
2) Rename the AVI folder to AVI_back
3) Set the color depth to 16BIT
4) Turn off everything in the background like E-mail/ICQ/Messenger, Virus protection and everything in the system tray beside the clock.
5) Run a Virus check and a Adware/Spybot checker
6) Update your Windows, update your Video card drivers and audio card drivers. Then repeat steps 1-4.

Tried all your suggestions but nothing changed, thanks anyway.

EDIT: Hmm, after I had braved myself through some very blinky empire building, the game stopped blinking at me. The crisis has been averted, it has gone as sudden as it had come.

EDIT2: Hell, it started again. This sucks.

Last edited:
There are a couple of causes that might be it:
1) Don't alt-tab
2) If you have something like MSN Messenger which will occassionally pop up alerts in the background, then turn it off. Even when you don't see them they are likely to cause this.
3) Restart computer