• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Altipueri

Captain
35 Badges
Mar 14, 2009
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • March of the Eagles
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
Finally decided to try out the most derided Paradox game - and had some fun.

Tips:

Turn off the dreaded avatars and their grunting.
Turn the sound effects down - again so you don't hear the grunting.
Turn on instant resolve.

Result: an OK series of strategy puzzles for those of us easily satisfied.

I play Diplomacy when I don't have time for anything heavier, it's even shorter to win than Crown of the North or Two Thrones, so it's perfect for coffee breaks.

I got this just because i used to be a fan of the board game...Can't say i enjoyed the game equally though. I guess what made the board game fun was the company rather than the game itself :).

I got this just because i used to be a fan of the board game...Can't say i enjoyed the game equally though. I guess what made the board game fun was the company rather than the game itself :).

I have to say that you're absolutely correct. Besides quick fun, the only thing which the computer game can offer is the understanding how the rules work. The AI won't hold the alliances long enough that they would actually work and you can't make complicated deals with it.

In my first board game ever, I (Austria) allied myself with Russia against Turkey and with Turkey against Russia and I made non aggression pacts with Italy and Germany. While Western powers focused to fight against each other I ended up being ruler of Constantinople and Moscow before they figured out that I betrayed both of them. :D

AI can never offer experiences like that.

In my first board game ever, I (Austria) allied myself with Russia against Turkey and with Turkey against Russia and I made non aggression pacts with Italy and Germany. While Western powers focused to fight against each other I ended up being ruler of Constantinople and Moscow before they figured out that I betrayed both of them. :D

AI can never offer experiences like that.

I suspect those two players are rather unlikely to be willing to offer such experiences again too ;)