• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That was probably your best option. To bad the supply system is so bad you had to do it in the first place. However, that should help you out a lot when trapping big Soviet pockets.

Now I can manually build infra, deploy troops closer to the frontline and I don't have to worry about oddities of the supply system so much. I got some dissent and threat (manual event), lost 100+ Polish brigades, their airforce and got some new non-core provinces to guard, so I think that it's fair.

No, I was noticing your German army counters (possibly others as well) are a lot darker than they are in my game. Maybe it's just my imagination. In any case, it's not that important. Great AAR, mate. I'll definitely be following this one.

Very interesting, subscribed!

Question about an earlier chapter: I noticed that France had almost no armored divisions is this a bug or what? In reality (and contrary to what many people think) France had more and better tanks then Germany in 1940, the difference was the way they where used.

Keep it up!

Very interesting, subscribed!

Question about an earlier chapter: I noticed that France had almost no armored divisions is this a bug or what? In reality (and contrary to what many people think) France had more and better tanks then Germany in 1940, the difference was the way they where used.

Keep it up!
Yeah, lack of tanks wasn't a French problem. However, they were still used as infantry-support and it's represented in HPP by Infantry Support Tank Brigade (IST). France used them ingame in their infantry divisions.

I will post an update during this weekend :)

Cybvep: With Eastern Front fully stabilised and situation in the West secured, German leadership could take firm steps against the Poles. .. - Poland became part of the Great German Reich.

good move, nothing else makes sense ! ! :)

Cybvep:
...My army is undergoing reorganisation before the final strike on the Soviets. It's time to tame the Bear!

splendid ! ! :D

Narkaz:
...I noticed that France had almost no armored divisions is this a bug or what? In reality (and contrary to what many people think) France had more and better tanks then Germany in 1940, the difference was the way they where used.

what you say is correct ! however, IRL the French did not have any armored divisions, so why should the game give them any ? ? ;)

IIRC, in 1940 the French Char B tank was the best tank in the world. period. except for two things. first, French doctrine split the tanks into their infantry divisions. second, the Char B had one AM radio per platoon, compared to the German practice of having one FM radio per tank ! !

oh, the French platoon commander was expected to use naval signals {you know, those funny looking flag things} to convey information to the rest of his platoon. needless to say, it did not take long for the German infantry snipers to figure out what to do ! ! :eek:

Cybvep:
Yeah, lack of tanks wasn't a French problem. However, they were still used as infantry-support and it's represented in HPP by Infantry Support Tank Brigade (IST). France used them in game in their infantry divisions.

on the money ! ! :D

excellent updates ! !
:cool:

The Crusade Continues

Western Diplomacy

HoI3_405.jpg

In March of 1943 the United Kingdom decided to beg for peace with the Greater German Reich. With their navy completely destroyed and merchant fleet decimated, our western enemy was in a bitter position, indeed. The offer was met with great enthusiasm in the Reich, as the common interpretation was that the Allies were surrendering.

HoI3_406.jpg

The German leadership tried to take things one step further and offered an alliance. Not only the Lufwaffe would no longer have to fight on two fronts, but also the Soviets would have no chance of standing against the combined might of both empires. Unfortunately, the British leadership was too short-sighted to realise that and they stood by their original proposal.

Therefore, on 16th of March 1943 war in the West had at last come to an end. From now on this day was to be known as the Western Victory Day or The Day the West Crumbled.

HoI3_407.jpg

HoI3_408.jpg

However, the French leadership refused to give up. Most Frenchmen considered the Anglo-German treaty as an act of betrayal. Their former ally - the United Kingdom - left entire France to our mercy.

A small rouge state was established in the former south-eastern France, but it was quickly brought down. The incident went largely unnoticed.

HoI3_410.jpg

HoI3_412.jpg

The German Reich has been greatly expanded. Belgian and Dutch authorities relinquished control over Congo and Indonesia to us. Therefore, we have finally re-established our footholds in Africa and Asia. A puppet government is being installed in Indonesia and German administration is being established in former Belgian Congo as we speak.

Those colonies have greatly improved our resource situation. Tons of vital rare materials were transported from overseas territories to Germany and more will arrive. It is expected that those goods will meet our demand for several years. Moreover, the Atlantic Ocean now lay open to us, as our merchant navy is no longer at risk of being attacked by the Allies. New trade lines will be established in the future.

-----------

The Operation Red Carpet

HoI3_414.jpg

HoI3_415.jpg

HoI3_416.jpg

In late March (two months ahead of schedule, as the weather was surprisingly good) the Eastern Front (now the only one) became active again. Our armoured and motorised divisions attacked the enemy with unstoppable might in Goldap and Kalvarija. Great clashes were made on the land and in the air and when the dust settled, we were clearly victorious.

HoI3_417.jpg

HoI3_421.jpg

In accordance with our revised doctrine, our infantry divisions fight in close cooperation with our armoured and motorised divisions. The breach in the enemy lines is quickly exploited and the rest of enemy forces are being attacked on a broader front. Air support is absolutely vital to our success. We are reaping the benefits of both our increased aircraft production and the lack of another front.

HoI3_423.jpg

Soviet forces were clearly shocked by our performance. It seems that they were preparing their defence lines in Ukraine, where the bulk of their forces are located. They did not expect a concentrated attack in the northern forests.

HoI3_424.jpg

HoI3_425.jpg

As the Memel pocket is almost formed, our landing party started an attack on Riga from the sea. Our cruisers and carriers are supporting our land forces both in Riga and in Memel. Our enemy must not be allowed to recover - we intend to the exploit the northern breach to the fullest!

HoI3_427.jpg

Pathetic attempt of the Soviet navy of an attack on our fleet are quickly and mercilessly crushed. Our seamen obliterated the Royal Navy and gave us the victory in the West. They will not succumb to a bunch of Bolsheviks.

HoI3_428.jpg

HoI3_429.jpg

The remnants of the Soviet army in the northern region are encircled in Laukuva while the Battle of Riga rages on. Soviets are attempting to reorganise and stretch their lines, but we won't let them.

HoI3_430.jpg

Our mobile forces continue to put pressure on the Soviet defenders. Despite the large number of tanks, the armies of our enemy are too slow and disorganised in order to stop our push.

HoI3_432.jpg

Our naval bombers pound the enemy ships docked at Tallin. The fleet stationed there is probably the largest enemy naval force in the region, so if we destroy it, we will gain naval supremacy in the Gulf of Finland. This may aid us in the future ride to Leningrad.

HoI3_433.jpg

Finally, the pocked in Laukuva is destroyed. During combat we lost about 3000 men, while almost 12 thousand enemy troops were killed (a ratio of 3:1 in our favour) and about 170 thousand surrendered. This was a decisive Axis victory.

HoI3_435.jpg

Riga is encircled and the Soviet defenders are starting to crack. Urban combat is never easy, but we are attacking the enemy troops from the land, the sea and the air. It is only a matter of time before they surrender.

The ending Battle of Riga marks the end of the RED phase of the operation. It was an astounding success. In less than a month the Axis regained the initiative and inflicted heavy casualties to the Soviet forces. Now the BLUE part of the operation can begin.

HoI3_434.jpg

While some of our forces will continue their push to the north, the main part of the northern army will attempt to encircle the majority of the Soviet troops in the region. Strategically, we will try to from a giant pocket stretching almost from Riga to Minsk, but tactically, we will create several smaller encirclements inside the big pocket.

It is presumed that the destruction of the potential pocket will take more than a month, so it is likely that the enemy will try to redeploy troops from Ukraine to the the north. Therefore, our forces stationed in south-eastern Poland will look for the window of opportunity to strike.

We are just about to enter the most crucial days of war.

You got lucky with the Allies! That may just be the help you needed to take on the buffed-up Soviets! By the way, is your propaganda really strong again, or was it really that easy to win that pocket in the North? :) How are your Divisions experience- and strength-wise? They should have a lot of exp by now, but they shouldn't be on full strength with that amount of constant fighting...

You got lucky with the Allies! That may just be the help you needed to take on the buffed-up Soviets! By the way, is your propaganda really strong again, or was it really that easy to win that pocket in the North? :)
Both. Soviets were pushing in Ukraine in late 1942 before the arrival of my panzers stabilised the frontline. They still have most of their forces there. Obviously, not every battle had a great casualty ratio, as the region is heavily forested, but the cooperation of my mobile and infantry components of the army was really effective. Moreover, I had the time to reinforce and modernise my forces during winter, when front was passive. My airforce is stronger, too.

How are your Divisions experience- and strength-wise? They should have a lot of exp by now, but they shouldn't be on full strength with that amount of constant fighting...
The situation looks good and while not 100% fresh, my troops are in good condition. Also, because of the good infrastructure in the region, I have few problems with supply. I'm using a good chunk of my IC on reinforcement, though, but that's to be expected. Fighting for air supremacy is really fierce and planes are costly to reinforce.

I'm happy with the results so far, but I try to restrain my optimism. Remember that the situation was good in 1942, too, until the Soviets reorganised, brought many tanks and created a proper frontline.

Oh, and your Hungarian brothers are now helping their German friends on the front, too ;)

What a great slug-fest. Great spearheads and pockets -looks like some pow's headed west.
Yeah, I'm really learning the importance of force concentration in this game. Since I now have a grand army, it's easier to attack in several places at once, but I'm still very cautious and try not to be overly ambitious. My ambition failed my once and I don't want that to happen again :)

My army and airforce on 14th of April 1943:

EDIT: From now on pictures will be clickable. You can therefore increase their size if you wish to look for details.

Last edited:
Just caught up and it was a great read :)

One question though. Are the images to small to read for everyone else or is it just me? If I right click them and click view image they become a better size but this means constantly reloading the page.

The forum has a maximum picture size. Cybvep could fix the problem by making his pictures that have text be click-able by putting the IMG tag inside a URL tag.

I will do it if TheBromgrev explains to me how to do it correctly ;)

EDIT: OK, now I know.

EDIT2: Just because I have some time...

As you can see, the Reich is getting stronger and stronger with each year. My IC has been increased by more than 40% from April 1941 to April 1943. My production capacity is even greater than that, because my practicals are much higher than they were two years ago (although the effects of recent naval negligence are starting to appear...). Moreover, I have over 700 MP and I'm still on the "medium" draft law. Gosh, those are things you don't notice directly when playing the game. I always have too little IC and MP for my projects :p

However, a good chunk of IC must be spent on supply production, army upgrades and reinforcements...

Last edited:
Just caught up and it was a great read :)

One question though. Are the images to small to read for everyone else or is it just me? If I right click them and click view image they become a better size but this means constantly reloading the page.

Not sure what browser you're using but just about all the newer ones use a tab system...should be able to right click the image and "view in new tab" or something to that effect.

is that british surrender event HPP HOI3 only? or is that in vanilla HOI3?

I have yet to buy HOI3. Great AAR though! I love how you smashed the RN and are crushing the Red Army