• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

markkur

General
9 Badges
Jan 30, 2015
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
Chapter 1
“A Meeting”

bfw.jpg

1 January, 1936, a group of men gather together to discuss the direction of their nation.

Head of Government: “In this turbulent time, I for one, would like our nation to be more decisive and not a doormat.”

Chief of Staff: “You stated my thoughts as well; why should we listen to anyone else but ourselves? Why should we not make our own plans?”

Head of State: “I agree with you both for the most part but I must emphasize we need to exercise a strong caution.”

Foreign Minister: “Yes, yes of course caution must be considered but we should think better of ourselves, than merely doing what another nation expects from us.”

Armament Minister: “While I applaud choosing our own path, there seems something very risky about our collectively bucking the trend, so to speak.”

Chief of Staff: “You and I will work closely together and make sure we minimize risk.

Minster of Security: “I must admit, this discussion worries me quite a lot.”

Head of State: “What exactly is troubling to you?”

Minster of Security: “The fact that I do not know what this cabinet is suggesting for our country’s future, makes it very difficult for me to imagine how to keep us secure. It is a matter of seeing a clear-picture of my future role.”

Head of State: “Worry, not about that for now; as time passes, your role will develop clearly and I am sure you will easily see it.”

Head of Intelligence: “I am here to serve, so just give me my marching orders and I will do whatever is necessary for success.”

Army Chief: “It is apparent that I will need to make very flexible plans and be ready for anything.”

Navy Chief: “I am not sure what you might want me to think. As we have no Grand-Fleet, I would not recommend anything.”

Air Minister: “I see that the Air-Force and the Navy share the same opinion; we have not a large enough number of planes to throw our weight around, so I cannot commit to anything.”

Chief of Staff: “Could you describe our goal for our more cautious members?”

Head of Government: “Certainly. We will go with our own flow. What that will be, I do not know yet; however, whatever it later proves to be, we will do it together.”

Who could it be, hmmmm.

Having Europe as the background might suggest it is a European nation, though thats where the game opens so it might not mean anything.
No grand fleet. Well that rules out the British, and possibly also the USA and Japan.
A quick search gives me 1 lead: a song about the US coup in Guatemala in '82. Maybe you plan to coup a nation into another faction, like France or Italy?

Intruiging, I will have to wait and see :)

Who could it be, hmmmm.

Having Europe as the background might suggest it is a European nation, though thats where the game opens so it might not mean anything.
No grand fleet. Well that rules out the British, and possibly also the USA and Japan.
A quick search gives me 1 lead: a song about the US coup in Guatemala in '82. Maybe you plan to coup a nation into another faction, like France or Italy?

Intruiging, I will have to wait and see :)
Hey old friend! Glad you took the plunge.

Fog to be removed very soon.;)

@markkur, count me in for this one! I like the very special voice that you have in your AARs, and this premise already intrigues me. I am currently trying to find a balance in how many AARs I can read simultaneously, but believe me when I say this one will have high priority!:)

I have no good idea of what the nation will be, but I will give my two cents. Slovakia is a very standard example of an underdog, but since El Pip is writing on that (and since you are starting in 1936) I doubt you will do that. Another country which seldom sees any greater attention from its neighbours, perhaps because itself does not pay them much notice either, is Switzerland, but they have no history of being a "doormat". It will at least not be a great power, as we hear from "would like our nation to be more decisive and not a doormat.”, "we have not a large enough number of planes to throw our weight around," and "As we have no Grand-Fleet,".

To be honest, I am only fumbling in darkness right now. @sebas379 could have a point or two (by the way, I'm glad to see you still hanging around in AARland!:)), but I am not the one to add anything useful, I think.

In any case, looking forward to see what this develops into!:)

Subbed!
Also I am trying to find out which nation will it be, as @sebas379 pointed out, it will not be a land locked nation, but the definition of a Grand fleet is different for me, I would also take Italy out of this. Perhaps you will try as Spain, Romania?
We shall see :D anyway I wish you all the luck with it!

Great to see you on the AAR warpath again my friend. Subbed, even before I’ve read your introductory post! :D

I will wonder but not really try to guess who you are playing - the fog will be parted and the curtain raised soon enough - but an imaginative teaser!

I don't think it will be Switzerland, because it wouldn't make sense for the Swiss to have a Head of Navy. Yugoslavia is a possibility, but I think the 'what another nation expects from us' line will mean that this will be some sort of alternate Italy game.

I look forward to being miles wrong!

I'm subbing in as well...

subbed

I am going to say Denmark.

Perhaps Sweden or Norway?

Markkur writes again! :D And I get to follow in real time! :D :D

I'm going to make an educated guess that the reference to the country being "a doormat" means that the country has been invaded within living memory, for a doormat is trodden upon by many muddy feet, and what has more muddy feet than the marching columns of an invading army? I am therefore tentatively putting Belgium as my guess.

Regardless, I'm awaiting the next chapter with eager anticipation :)

Excellent setup. I look forward to the great reveal. My guess would be Romania but I am sure it will be a quality story regardless of the lucky vehicle of state.

OK, I can't resist. It's ridiculous I know, but how about Austria, rejecting the Anschluss?

@markkur, count me in for this one! I like the very special voice that you have in your AARs, and this premise already intrigues me. I am currently trying to find a balance in how many AARs I can read simultaneously, but believe me when I say this one will have high priority!:)
Great to have you here Macke11

I well understand following several AARs, many I follow have Epic single chapters.;)

I have no good idea of what the nation will be, but I will give my two cents. Slovakia is a very standard example of an underdog, but since El Pip is writing on that (and since you are starting in 1936) I doubt you will do that. Another country which seldom sees any greater attention from its neighbours, perhaps because itself does not pay them much notice either, is Switzerland, but they have no history of being a "doormat". It will at least not be a great power, as we hear from "would like our nation to be more decisive and not a doormat.”, "we have not a large enough number of planes to throw our weight around," and "As we have no Grand-Fleet,".
Slovakia is sacred ground I think.:)

I love the Sherlock in you..."What do you think Watson?" "Well it is not Elementary; because I do not trust the sole clue provided." <LOL>

In any case, looking forward to see what this develops into!:)
I hope I do not disappoint.

Subbed!
Also I am trying to find out which nation will it be, as @sebas379 pointed out, it will not be a land locked nation, but the definition of a Grand fleet is different for me, I would also take Italy out of this. Perhaps you will try as Spain, Romania?
We shall see :D anyway I wish you all the luck with it!
Thank you very much and very glad to have you.

Great to see you on the AAR warpath again my friend. Subbed, even before I’ve read your introductory post! :D

I will wonder but not really try to guess who you are playing - the fog will be parted and the curtain raised soon enough - but an imaginative teaser!
TY Yeah now I fear imagination again. A potent wave just flattened me. Hopefully my "misdirection" does not make my reveal...bitter fruit in an unforeseen way.

I don't think it will be Switzerland, because it wouldn't make sense for the Swiss to have a Head of Navy. Yugoslavia is a possibility, but I think the 'what another nation expects from us' line will mean that this will be some sort of alternate Italy game.

I look forward to being miles wrong!
Great to have you here. Nice tries there; and you are many kms off.:D

I'm subbing in as well...
Excellent!

Greetings my old Field Marshall!

I am going to say Denmark.
Oh man; you guys make me wish I could do ten nations at once.:)

Perhaps Sweden or Norway?
Welcome on board - great to have you here. You would have been spot-on with Norway had I not restarted. :)Fyi, I had Viking names and decent pics but in the end I couldn't make the Ragnarr work as well as I desired.

Markkur writes again! :D And I get to follow in real time! :D :D

I'm going to make an educated guess that the reference to the country being "a doormat" means that the country has been invaded within living memory, for a doormat is trodden upon by many muddy feet, and what has more muddy feet than the marching columns of an invading army? I am therefore tentatively putting Belgium as my guess.

Regardless, I'm awaiting the next chapter with eager anticipation :)
Excellent you made it!:)

Seriously, with the high-quality of suggestions, I fear I will let you all down.<grimaced-shudder>

Excellent setup. I look forward to the great reveal. My guess would be Romania but I am sure it will be a quality story regardless of the lucky vehicle of state.
Welcome and thank you very much. I am now fearing that my trisky-screen may have dismasted my ship-of-state choice. Arrgh, I hope not.:)

Of course, I'm reading here as well. And perhaps I can help again a little .
Great to have you again my bear-drinking bear, that wears Scotch-plaid.:) Not sure what will happen but hopefully we can make at least a few choices...together. Salute!

OK, I can't resist. It's ridiculous I know, but how about Austria, rejecting the Anschluss?
Simply Brilliant! But after being a quick CK2 snack called Kernev for a Viking-muncher...nah....just nah this time.:D

As I said...I sure hope my nation is not a huge disappointment for you all; those were some great ideas. What a group of fine-mindzzz!

Onward through the fog!

Last edited:
Chapter 2
“The Beginning”

bf.jpg

Well dear readers, you can now see above, that our generic first cabinet meeting took place in New Zealand. The title of this AAR I admit is a wee bit cheesy but it does convey my denial of following the typical historical unfolding. My imagining our NZ outside of the world-factions is no great leap; we have our reasons of which I will not discuss at the present...if ever.

So what will this New Zealand story be? As usual for me, especially nowadays...I do not know. All I can say for now is - we Kiwis will be no factional-gimme. :)

Gov.jpg

Here is our glorious Government and there is a small thing I should point out about the generic-speaker conversation inside our first cabinet-meeting; I think it very interesting that our Head of Government and our Foreign Minster are the same fellow. (seems a blend like today) And just as sweet, our two posts of Chief of Staff & Army Chief are also one man. Therefore, I have two heads representing four heads and that fact could change how that first meeting might read but don’t bother backtracking, because it doesn’t matter. These two men are going to drive this AAR-train and hopefully I do not suffer another coup like I did in U4U.:eek: If that happens? I reserve the right of purge.

What I will do going forward, is give my readers the necessary game-details of what I do with our tiny nation. However, the first item on my agenda is to get NZ up and running in the best condition possible and make us a feared military powerhouse – yeah, right.

What roadblocks will we encounter? I have no idea, I have never even considered playing a micro-power island-nation before. Fyi, I am expecting a lot of roadblocks.

One last thing; the narrative I plan will be no grand invention this time around but I will endeavor to make it interesting by creating the conversation inside the necessary game mechanics; and of course something different may materialize. (probably not next to a stone-vault) I will not be tagging a grand tale, as I have twice before but will only tag i.e. to get necessary names inside other countries. If I give NZ a gift of any sort - I will detail that action. I.e Depending on what happens I may need a little more MP?

Please note: I will use the in-game names provided but they will not be historical portrayals by any stretch of “my” imagination.

Onward!

Sneaky!