• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, off to a very provocative start there! I will look with interest to see now NZ goes against big brother across the Tasman Sea! I will set my national preferences aside to support this markkur-madness attempt to build an Oceanian Empire! ;)

Well of course one can trust the Aussies. Convicts the lot of them.

:D Steal a loaf of bread to get out of the impoverished underclasses in 19th century England and off the prison hulks? They must have been queuing up! :) The few years spent as a convict don’t seem quite as harsh in retrospect when you compare it to what they were leaving! Disclaimer: my Mum took until the 1950s to make the same trip, but as a free woman ;):cool:

:D Steal a loaf of bread to get out of the impoverished underclasses in 19th century England and off the prison hulks? They must have been queuing up! :) The few years spent as a convict don’t seem quite as harsh in retrospect when you compare it to what they were leaving! Disclaimer: my Mum took until the 1950s to make the same trip, but as a free woman ;):cool:
One of the little facets of late 18th/early 19thC I like to point out to people (because I am a historical bore) is that during the Great Mutiny of 1797 a lessening of the flogging regime of in the Royal Navy was nowhere near the mutineers list of demands, and for good reason: back then flogging was the humane punishment (given how much else you could be hanged for). Transportation likewise (though one most definitely shouldn't sugar-coat it).

Sometimes I dive into The Proceedings of the Old Bailey - which make fascinating, if sometimes frightful, reading.

It's worse than that; given the terribly low detection rates in those days they weren't just criminals, they were the rubbish thieves who were incompetent enough to get caught.

I fully expect the AI to accurately model that intellectual legacy in the coming war; the Australian defence will be utterly useless. :D

if I dont recall wrong, NZ only fielded one infantry division outside the islands... I dont know how big your MP is

It's worse than that; given the terribly low detection rates in those days they weren't just criminals, they were the rubbish thieves who were incompetent enough to get caught.

I fully expect the AI to accurately model that intellectual legacy in the coming war; the Australian defence will be utterly useless. :D
1. I think many must have either wanted to get caught, didn’t care any more or were (as you say) the ones that got caught due to low crime skills - probably because they weren’t criminals at all, just poor and excess. I think it was probably more a forced migration program than an attempt to stop petty crime.

2. Given how regularly Australia in this game lets the Japanese walk into Sydney then conquer them, the anti-Australia AI bias is (like with France and Poland) already built in! I think markkur is likely to have no problems at all. The Kiwis will land at Bondi and no-one will even notice they are invading militarily until it is too late! :oops:

One of the little facets of late 18th/early 19thC I like to point out to people (because I am a historical bore) is that during the Great Mutiny of 1797 a lessening of the flogging regime of in the Royal Navy was nowhere near the mutineers list of demands, and for good reason: back then flogging was the humane punishment (given how much else you could be hanged for). Transportation likewise (though one most definitely shouldn't sugar-coat it).

Sometimes I dive into The Proceedings of the Old Bailey - which make fascinating, if sometimes frightful, reading.

Got to love the Bloody Code -- because if you don't, that's a hanging offense ;)

Certainly an audacious move on New Zealand's part, and one that could pay some sweet dividends if it succeeds -- and if they can get away with it without drawing Westminster's ire.

Well, off to a very provocative start there! I will look with interest to see now NZ goes against big brother across the Tasman Sea! I will set my national preferences aside to support this markkur-madness attempt to build an Oceanian Empire! ;)
With "my" warmongering NZ defying all logic and protocol inside some weird alt-universe. I should hope so.:D

:) Well, that is the way of story-telling the actions of the A.I. Akin to explaining WTH? moments.:)

if I dont recall wrong, NZ only fielded one infantry division outside the islands... I dont know how big your MP is
I posted the national stats before the DOW. iirc, MP was 98 at that time. Also, iirc I think Bullfilter told me a while back that division was stationed in Australia? idk for sure. This AAR will have little to do with facts.:)

Certainly an audacious move on New Zealand's part, and one that could pay some sweet dividends if it succeeds -- and if they can get away with it without drawing Westminster's ire.
Yes, I have to admit it was and as has been said; it is the logical 1st-step to whatever else we do. However, if we do win, where we go from there should be very interesting.

Also, iirc I think Bullfilter told me a while back that division was stationed in Australia? idk for sure. This AAR will have little to do with facts.:)
Two full divisions eventually served in Greece, Crete, North Africa and Italy, as part of the British 8th Army. A few troops raised (couple of brigades, later disbanded) for some garrison work in the South Pacific, but didn’t do much there. Nothing in Australia. Well, until the alt hist of Bitter Fruit, anyway! :D

Chapter 5
1 bf war.jpg

“The Gamble”

E. R. Drummond, NZ-Navy Chief: “Did either of you brilliant war-hawks trouble to see in what port our most serious threats are anchored?”

Neither Mike nor Bill could answer the Admiral’s question but Bill, leading the ground forces, did quickly ask; “What threats?”

Threats like the big-guns of the Heavy-Cruisers HMAS Australia and HMAS Canberra? I have only two DD Squadrons and if we meet either of the CAs, we will be blown out of the water and our troops will become instant fish-food; we could leave our islands defenseless!”

Mr. Savage was visibly shocked and stumbled into a dazed reply; “Oh my God, I did not think of Australia’s warships!”

General Sinclair-Burgess tried to cover the dangerous miscue; “E. R. we have no planes to scout anything, so we went with the roll of the dice.”

The admiral was incensed; “Good grief man! You could have at least asked me for my thoughts; I could have sent a DD-group to the waters off Sydney and checked if any large ships were there!”

Bill responded honestly; “It’s too late now...the transports are on their way.”

Dammit!” The Admiral dashed to a car and quickly rushed to the Naval-base in Wellington.

Drummond soon telephoned and explained his desperate plan to his renegade counterparts; “I’ve ordered 1st DD to run interference for the troop transports and I am on a course to do the same on-board 2nd DD. If the Australian fleet is at anchor to the north or south of Sydney, hopefully we will delay the Heavy-Cruisers and prevent the destruction of our transport-fleet. However, if those guns are at anchor, as I suspect they are, you better get down on your knees right now and pray till you sweat blood. You two may lose this war before our soldiers step foot on land.” <dial-tone> After the call, Mike and Bill, our bold and zealous duo, now looked as if they stood in front of a firing-squad and were about to be executed for utter stupidity.

2 landing.jpg

3 sb.jpg

4 15 Battered.jpg

5 2nd landing.jpg

The second-landing

6 supplies.jpg

7 1st advance.jpg

The 1st advance starts and thankfully, we prevent enemy bombing-runs for the moment.

8 end.jpg

We have a secure beachhead and a supply-convoy up and running, when the following conversation takes place sometime later.

Savage gives the Admiral a slap on the back: “Very fine job there, keeping all our vessels afloat E. R.! You should get a medal for your actions on 2nd DD.”

Drummond ignored Mike’s flattery: “Gentlemen, make no mistake, we are very lucky we are not about to be exterminated in short order. You two had better learn to coordinate with the rest of this, our government and create strategies that minimize risk to our meager forces, or your bold-butts will soon be behind bars, or worse.”

Bill, the Chief of Staff & Army-Chief accepted the stern rebuke without objection; he knew he had entirely focused on his infantry alone. He now turned to another cabinet member we have not heard from in a while; “Fred, what intelligence-reports do you have concerning Australian forces we might meet on the battlefield now?”

Mr. Freeman always wore a very serious face but now he appeared concerned and afraid; “We have no firm knowledge concerning the enemy’s land forces nor their possible locations. We have only heard outside rumors, that the Australian government has placed units on their various islands but we have not verified a single instance anywhere. And we are just as blind to the locations of their forces on the mainland.”

Behind another fear, Fred Freeman turned back to Michael; (Mr. Savage also holds the post of Foreign Minister) “What has been the received reaction from the U. K.?”

No change. I’m sure they are not happy with us, since we have refused their offers for us to join the allies a great many times now; but as yet, they have made no move for us to worry about.”

The Admiral now made sure he was a part of whatever future plan; “What is the grand plan for your infantry Bill?”

The Army-Chief did not appear confident by any stretch; “We do not know what is in front of us and can only respond to what we meet. The plan is a simple one and that is to take the Capitol and then advance and capture Sydney. Once we meet those objectives, then we need to decide from there.”

E.R: “Good enough but remember, no more “rolling of the dice.” With our small forces, defeating Australia is not going to be simple and we had better plan-well whatever future actions we take because we can meet disaster in an instant; those Heavy-Cruisers are still in the water and we have no naval-guns to match them.”

The Admiral had made his point frighteningly clear and he now walked over to a long wall that held a very large, framed-map of the greater-Pacific and he began to study much more than islands belonging to Australia.

I am delighted to see the Australian AI has lived down to my expectations.

Having considered the matter carefully, I feel sure London has not reacted as they are secretly rooting for a Kiwi success/Aussie defeat here. I know I am.

Having considered the matter carefully, I feel sure London has not reacted as they are secretly rooting for a Kiwi success/Aussie defeat here. I know I am.
Hear Hear can not doubt be heard from all sides of the House

Advancing blindly against a superior foe while not even bothering to make sure everyone is on the same page of the playbook -- General Sinclair-Burgess must be a brilliant strategist indeed, because the only other explanation for that plan is that he's utterly bonkers ;)

Though he does seem to have the Devil's own luck in either case, what with Australia's lethargic response. Perhaps most of their forces are tied up watching the emus for signs of another uprising...

I am delighted to see the Australian AI has lived down to my expectations.

Hear Hear can not doubt be heard from all sides of the House
:) I see it more as...outta sight outta mind. We are a very small potato inside the world-stew.:D

Advancing blindly against a superior foe while not even bothering to make sure everyone is on the same page of the playbook -- General Sinclair-Burgess must be a brilliant strategist indeed, because the only other explanation for that plan is that he's utterly bonkers ;)

Though he does seem to have the Devil's own luck in either case, what with Australia's lethargic response. Perhaps most of their forces are tied up watching the emus for signs of another uprising...
:D The honest answer is, the poor man answered for my own error...someone had to take the story-fall.;)

Very lucky to have survived that first battle, and (as usual) a ridiculous follow-up when, now clearly alerted to the threat, they let a bunch of rusty and mainly-sunk ships land their invasion force in Melbourne! But well done, your only viable course here is rashness and complete disregard for the consequences. That and a healthy side-bet on the negligence of the AI! ;)

No wonder Japan usually conquers Australia. I blame former Swedish fruit-picking backpackers returning from Australia to work at Paradox with some kind of vendetta in mind for this! :mad::p

PS: loved the angry and bitter-looking kiwi fruit soldiers. :D

Scott Morrison and Peter Dutton would have turned back the boats!

Also, definitely research Agticulture. You can start earning some serious coin once you unlock the Cabernet Sauvignon and Pinot Noir vineyards in the South Island.

This is greatly entertaining. Catch the Aussies while they're asleep and this is what happens, tactical defeat to the Kiwis... I should imagine the Australian government must be livid... I remember seeing an Australian conquest of New Zealand before, but the reverse is quite a bit more interesting... Just letting you now that I'm along for the ride.

Very lucky to have survived that first battle, and (as usual) a ridiculous follow-up when, now clearly alerted to the threat, they let a bunch of rusty and mainly-sunk ships land their invasion force in Melbourne! But well done, your only viable course here is rashness and complete disregard for the consequences. That and a healthy side-bet on the negligence of the AI! ;)

PS: loved the angry and bitter-looking kiwi fruit soldiers. :D
Yeah, luck is right. I could not believe I had the transports running and had not bothered to see if those CAs were there! I'm not exactly in fighting-trim but it became a great scene to find a way to write.

Thank you for the notice of my art-work. I keep exploring Paint here and there. That is one drawing, copy&pasted and then resized for anyone interested. Fun to do, even if not the best artwork.

Also, definitely research Agticulture. You can start earning some serious coin once you unlock the Cabernet Sauvignon and Pinot Noir vineyards in the South Island.
Yeah, we will grow more and more food...just in case. But we have to steer clear of the wine - there are just too few of us.:D

This is greatly entertaining. Catch the Aussies while they're asleep and this is what happens, tactical defeat to the Kiwis... I should imagine the Australian government must be livid... I remember seeing an Australian conquest of New Zealand before, but the reverse is quite a bit more interesting... Just letting you now that I'm along for the ride.
Welcome rover...glad to have you. Once this war ends, the readers will have a chance to weigh-in regarding what this madcap nation does next. I have a idea, that I believe I can sell but we'll see.