• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Let them in, let them divide their forces, watch winter kill many, then combine your armies, loan a lot, recruit some mercenaries and start hunterkilling their siege forces. :p

Whatever happens, make sure they bleed more than you!

In June, a Livonian army under Konrad von Vietinghof, veterans of the campaigns in Osel and Finland, bypassed Pomerania and Neumark to besiege Breslau. Home within the year certainly, perhaps even by Christmas.

When you add that last sentence, we all know that the other shoe is about to drop. The other shoe being Poland, in this case. Whoopsie.

Follow Enewald's advice, roleplay Von Plauen's stubbornness to the hilt and drag it out, make it ugly - if you can. Alternately, a slightly humiliating white peace or concede defeat might be more prudent at this time.

Good luck! You do the hard work in fighting the war, we'll sit back and enjoy the results from a safe distance. ;)

The Poles just aren't sporting, are they? Don't they know they are supposed to let you finish one war before involving you in another. You are a tad outnumbered. I counsel you to pay attention to Moldavia. They and Masovia are the annoyances that can throw a strategy off. I'd be very tempted to go take Moldavia and annex, if it's not a vassal. Knock out masovia, again if it's not a vassal.Then play connect the dots - oh that is Poland - in subsequent wars. Any rebels to raise in Poland and Lithuania. Getting Novgorod back as an ally; better Hungary.

First finish that war with Pommerania, get the province - core and culture - and as much money as Bohemia has. I'd rather spend that money on province improvements rather than mercenaries.

Remember that burning the fields is extremely effective when combined with winter campaigns. You just need to hold them in place long enough for their armies to melt away.

Good luck!

Nice to see the legend continue, CatKnight!

Enewald: That was the idea. It even worked for awhile.

Stuyvesant: Hm, I can do slightly humiliating also. :)

Chief Ragusa: Winning with my regular troops alone (sans mercs) was never a real option. I started the war with 2,000 manpower - enough for two more regiments. Perhaps a luckier player could have pulled it off. You know my luck.

Ashantai: It was a very effective trick!

coz1: Good to see you, my friend.

We might be near the end of this run, my friends.

No, no, the save file is fine. I'm fine also, if maybe a little disspirited.

Nope, you may be on the verge of watching the first documented EU IV DEFEAT.

I suppose I better let the facts speak for themselves.

In 1419, on the brink of total victory over Pomerania, the Poles declared war.

III: In a Blaze of Glory

Warm Unwelcome

On paper, Wladyslaw II of Poland declared war on the Teutonic Order to 'remind them of their duty.' (Polish mission: Remind the Knights of their Duty - Terms: Vassalize TO) He argued that the Order had been invited to Prussia at the behest of the Duke of Masovia two hundred years ago. Because of that, they owed fealty to Masovia (and so to Poland) for any lands converted and claimed.

This directly contradicted the Golden Bull of Rimini signed by Emperor Frederick II as well as treaties and statements made by Popes Honorius III and Gregory IX, and at virtually any other time Wladyslaw's claims would have been dismissed as ridiculous and possibly heresy. Now matters were different: First, the Teutonic Order happened to be at war with the Holy Roman Emperor in the form of Bohemian King Vaclav IV, and he was open to punishing his newest enemy. Second, the popes of the fifteenth century were substantially weaker than before: It had only been two years since the Council of Constance did away with the last antipope, Benedict XIII. Further, the Napolese had successfully seized Rome forcing the Vatican to set up in Romagna.

The Marienburg Chronicle, somewhat given to bragging about the Order's virtues, invoking the Holy Spirit, and reporting miracles at every instance but very seldomly completely in error, reported Heinrich von Plauen had fits when he heard of the Polish declaration including frothing at the mouth. He promised the grossgebetiger he would see Wladyslaw dead, that he would bleed Poland dry, and send the 'devil's serpent' slithering for cover.

This would require careful planning however, and the destruction of all his hard work rebuilding the Order's finances. He redirected barques meant to protect Baltic trade to keep the Pomeranian fleet busy while cogs headed for Teuton shores to pick up newly raised mercenaries. Von Plauen made his own deal with the devil, sending spies and smugglers deep into Polish and Lithuanian territory to stir up Orthodox zealots and Smolensk separatists.

141908ThePlan_zps20a52546.jpg

Raising, training and equipping the mercenaries as well as 'home' defense fell to Immanuel von Altenburg (0F/3S/2M/0Sg), the Komtur of Warmia. Altenburg was a cruel man, though eager to please, and trained his men in defensive fighting through the novel technique of 'acquiring' food and cattle from Teuton peasantry and beating anyone who resisted. By October a total of 9 mercs to go with my 10 regulars were raised. We burned Warmia and Danzig.) Naturally burgher and peasant alike resented these actions, but the former comforted themselves with thoughts of interest from the large number of loans the Teutons would need to survive this war, while the peasants simply hoped the mercs would go away.

The mercenary 'army' then split into two, half boarding ships to await attacks of opportunity, the other half to join the subjugation of Pomerania.

Linking the Neumark

Though some would beg to differ, the Pomeranian war was already decided. Grand Marschall 'von Jungingen' left the siege of Stettin, the Pomeranian capital, to a subordinate while he patrolled Hinterpommern in case of trouble. It would take months for the Polish/Lithuanian alliance to make good on their declaration of war, as they dealt first with a Smolensk insurgency, then a surprising invasion by 3,000 Rigans.

In September Burgundy and Hungary ended their war with Bohemia, settling for humiliating the emperor. Even then Vaclav's response would be slow and tentative: 4,000 men marched into Vonpommern to attack the 2,000 Mecklenburgers. 2,000 Teuton mercs detached from Stettin to join the fighting, arriving just in time to prevent an embarassing retreat and break the Bohemian forces.

141910SaveMeck_zpsb122f725.jpg

Smugglers managed to bring food into the town while the army was away however, undoing months of progess. (I moved my army away to chase the Bohemians figuring the Mecklenburgers would maintain the siege. Nope, they'd attached themselves to me.)

In November 1419 Stettin fell, forcing the Pomeranian navy out of dock to risk the throw. Seven of theirs encountered fourteen Teutons. Six slipped into the relative safety of Hinterpommern's reefs while the Order acquired a beaten but still functional galley.

By now the Poles had awakened, sending 7,000 men to siege Danzig and 25,000 men to the Dobrinland. In both cases local farms were taxed beyond their ability, and so both armies went hungry.

In February 1420, Komtur von Welf of Danzig, depressed perhaps at having his city sieged, his fields ruined, and his merchant marine pressed into war, announced he'd seen a great comet that promised doom and despair. Von Plauen's angry retort? "Stop looking at the sky!" (Comet: -1 Stab, to 0. Immediately paid to get it back to 1)

Hinterpommern fell in March. The tiny Bohemian army reappeared outside of Mecklenburg's walls, but with that city state showing no interest in the Polish-Lithuanian war, von Plauen saw no need to help them and forbade interference. Instead it was up to the Livonian Konrad von Vietinghof to end the fighting. He conquered Breslau in May, forcing the Bohemians to the table.

142005PeaceBoh_zps9cc075b0.jpg

To Krakow with Undying Hate

Up until now the Polish war, while low key, had been run more or less successfully. True, Riga and Wenden in Livonia were under siege along with Danzig, but attrition bit the Poles much more heavily than the Teutons. The Order's luck seemed to hold until June 21, when 13,000 Poles arrived in Hinterpommern.

Jungingen's 11,000 men held the defensive advantage, and when reinforcements came by ship the next morning victory seemed certain. Perhaps it was, until the fog lifted to reveal another 5,000 Poles under King Wladyslaw. What followed was a more or less direct clash of arms with Polish cavalry turning the Teuton flanks. The results, some 9,200 Teutons dead or captured, are comparable to the disaster at Tannenberg with much the same effect.

It wouldn't be the last.

With von Jungingen retreating towards the Livonian border with all haste, pursued by Wladyslaw who sought a decisive victory, 2,000 mercs across 5 banners were detached by ship. This army, under von Altenburg's command, descended on Hinterpommern and repelled the sieging army under Grzegorz Kedzierzawy. Initally they were to be carried away again, but the Teuton admiral received an urgent request to return to Memel and pick up the rest of Jungingen's army. Altenburg therefore took it upon himself to thrust deep into Polish territory, siege Krakow, and perhaps surprise them or at least force them to divert valuable resources from the front.

In the meantime, Wladyslaw caught Jungingen before the ships could rescue him inflicting a devastating blow.

142011Battles_zps7d365008.jpg

Here a reasonable man would have conceded defeat and expected reasonable terms, however von Plauen was not a reasonable man. Wladyslaw wasn't a reasonable man either and wanted nothing less than the Order's surrender. As for alliances, no one saw an advantage in helping the beleaguered order.

Mercenaries were still to be had though, so von Plauen arranged contracts with some 5,000 more. Their mission: To catch von Jungingen's army in Neumark if not before, regroup and strike at Poland. It might have worked, if the Lithuanian Jonas Gostautas didn't meet them in the Dobrinland once more forcing a cross country flight.

142012Chase_zpsc6658992.jpg

Von Jungingen's army regrouped at Warmia in March 1421 to find Hochmeister von Plauen waiting for them. Knowing Gostautas was days away at best, Von Plauen boarded ships with 5 (understrength) regiments and asked Jungingen to buy him time. Jungingen did better than that, throwing the rest of his army into Gostautas' teeth. He lost, he had no choice but to lose, but managed to preserve enough of his army to retreat and bought the transports time to get away.

Unfortunately, the Hochmeister threw away any advantage Jungingen's sacrifice might have bought. He descended on Memel hoping to break the siege despite being outnumbered 4:3, and lost three fourths of his men. The rest, like Jungingen, retreated to Hinterpommern.

By April 1421, Altenburg's quiet siege of the Polish capital was five months old. He finally attracted attention: 5,000 men under Szymon Posatowski. It was a close, hard fought battle and for awhile the Teutons prevailed, but at a crucial moment the Krakow defenders opened the gates and their garrison funneled into Altenburg's flank. Surrounded and in hostile territory his army broke, never to reform.

In June, Chelmo fell as Wenden in Livonia had before it. The Rigans peaced out in exchange for repudiating any treaties with the Order. Late in the month Zawesa Czarny, the 'hero' who broke Chelmo, arrived in Hinterpommern with 8,000 men against Jungingen's shattered 5,600. The Teutons stood for two hours before that army, also, collapsed.

During September, a galley smuggled von Plauen home hours ahead of a Polish army. Yet again he called for mercs, 4,000 this time. This time they barely had time to form in various Teuton towns and villages before Wladyslaw's victorious army thundred through crushing all comers.

142112Sigh_zpsd19f202e.jpg

The grossgebetiger met in December to review the situation and force von Plauen to capitulate. Multiple towns under siege. No army, no men to fill it with, and no money either. (Manpower 120, Loans 18/20) No native food thanks to crop burning, though at least the seas remained open. Peasants neared open revolt. (War Exhaustion 18.89/20)

Komtur von Sternberg of Neumark summarized the position and informed his Hochmeister there were two choices: He could come to terms, or the grossgebetiger would imprison him and surrender in his name.

Von Plauen never cared for ultimatums, but he too could read the signs. Drawing it out now wouldn't hurt the Poles much and make the resulting peace that much more humiliating. (Peace with Poland: Release Livonian Order as vassals)

He would not forgive though.

He would not forget.

I commend you for roleplaying von Plauen so superbly. The man would have hired mercenaries, burnt his own lands, fought until the last man and lost.

You've no manpower, huge war exhaustion and loads of loans. Likely to have loads of revolts. A pretender rebel and bankruptcy loom. None of that would bother von Plauen. He'd look to be revenged upon Riga and conquer them. Of course the Order should rebuild and the council dismiss von Plauen. I think the Order would develop two different groupings -one in the west based on the Komtur of Neumark looking for a concentration on a German state and the other centred around von Plauen and the expelled "advisor" Komturs from Livonia looking to re-focus on the Baltic Crusade.

A very rocky road, but revenge shall be yours in time!

Ouch! That must've been a hard session (or sessions?) to play. I salute you for playing through it.

A bitter defeat. I hope the future holds better news for the Knights, but I must admit I'm pessimistic (of course, I'm always pessimistic, so that doesn't really prove anything).

Enewald: I have no cores on LO lands. Can't really go that way - at least quickly and without attracting attention.

Chief Ragusa: I did take some of your advice in the writeup. The emperor hates me (I don't blame him), making it hard for me to go that way unless I want to beat up on German minors. Which is an idea.

aldriq: I thought I was dished, especially since Poland's wargoal was subjugation, and that would have been 110%. I couldn't give it to him if I wanted to. (I don't think) Losing the LO was the only alternative to losing A LOT of land.

GulMacet: There's always the next war.

Ashantai: Indeed. The Order is very good at revenge.

Stuyvesant: The playthrough wasn't easy, especially when everyone's excellent advice for killing the Poles through attrition began breaking down. Once I had no army, it became a case of 'what do I do now?' I think the writeup was harder, since as you'll read I expected to be dogpiled in this session and more or less erased. Still, after three aborted attempts the Knights deserve an ending. Even a bad one.

In 1421 the Teutons signed a humiliating peace with Poland, releasing the Livonian Order to their own fate.

IV: Bowed, but not Broken

Aftermath

It was a bitter peace, bitterly signed and the result of an equally bitter war. For the first time a Teuton grandmaster had to acknowledge Polish superiority, meaning until this time the Ordenstaadt could stand safely behind an Imperial or Papal shield and look down on their southern neighbors. Said shield was gone forever: The Bohemian emperor hated the Teutonic Order as regional rivals who'd made him lose face before the electorate, while the Pope's power to do more than condemn and admonish was fading rapidly. The Vatican had relocated to Romagna and the Ottomans had taken Constantinople and were consolidating in both Europe and Anatolia. Christianity had bigger issues.

Article VI of the treaty specifically forbade appeal to either body, going so far as to state such an appeal would be a breach. Articles IX-XXIII went to the heart of the matter, taking the necessary steps to separate Teutonic and Livonian holdings, redrawing lines of organization and fealty, and formally dissolving the ties that unified the two Orders since the Brothers of the Sword joined the Teutons in 1237.

For the Livonians these were their first, uncertain independent steps in a very long time. True, they never lost their autonomy and Landmeister (now Herrenmeister) Konrad von Vietinghof was only de jure subordinate to Prussia, but there was always a certain comfort in knowing every major decision would be reviewed by Marienberg for possible strategic or ecclesiastical considerations. Their shield was also gone.

In Marienberg the peace was even more bitter because it nearly broke the grossgebetiger, the Order's ruling body. As a body they'd threatened to imprison their grandmaster, an injury Hochmeister von Plauen wasn't likely to forget. Further, with the immediate crisis passed a few members recanted their 'disloyalty' and stood by von Plauen as he immediately prepared for the next war. The Order still possessed outstanding land claims in both Poland and Lithuania. Now they had three or four 'Tannenbergs' to avenge. His ideal plan called for gathering allies and striking into their heartland, sticking Wladyslaw's head on a pike and parading it around, burning and salting Krakow, then claiming some disputed territory. In that order.

The rival faction, led by Michael von Sternberg, wanted to look west. They'd taken a chunk of Pomerania, and while fighting their way across the Empire wasn't on the agenda, quietly 'absorbing' land as opportunity permitted promised a more favorable outcome than fighting Poland. The Empire was made up of mostly Germans, people who acted, thought and talked more or less as the Order did. Integration would be easier, and in time a new identity as a Germanic emperor's militant shield arm might emerge.

Noticeably absent from their rancorous debate were Pagans (now gone except for isolated pockets) and Orthodox 'schismatics.' An independent Livonian brotherhood meant no eastern crusade could benefit the Order, and the Polish war taught them the Ordenstaadt needed to strengthen and grow to survive its lonely Baltic vigil.

Most of the council struggled with the paradox of a militant crusading order with no likely targets, von Plauen harbored no doubts as to his future. He, alone, kept the Order forging ahead through those first few months: Diplomats signed an alliance with the Livonians almost before the treaty's ink died, while one with Hungary followed weeks later. Docking rights in Mecklenberg, a privilege so useful during the long struggle with the Danes, held little value now. Attempts to smuggle equipment to and pay off schismatics within Poland, while a balm to his wounded spirit, proved to be a luxury the Teutons could no longer afford.

Sternberg's faction faced a crippling setback as Emperor Vaclav, convinced of Teuton weakness, asserted his rights as emperor.

142112EmperorisFink_zps582d5345.jpg

Tressler Immanuel von Roth (a member of said group) asserted that submission to the Emperor was the only way to assure Teuton survival. Following a stern rebuke, Hochmeister von Plauen answered the diplomat. His response survives in the Marienburg Chronicles.

von Plauen said:
Tell that pox-faced, drunken son of a whore and a goat that if he wants Pomerania, he can very well get off his fat rump and try to take it from me, if he can find a horse who can bear his weight. Tell him we fought the Poles, who if little else are fair fighters, and the Lithuanians, who are bewitched apostates, and from what I have seen a Bohemian can't hold a candle to either. If he thinks to nip at our borders like a carrion eater, he will find the Order is still very much alive.

No doubt the diplomat softened von Plauen's response, for no declaration of war came from Prague. Von Plauen dismissed the tressler a week later. (Cancel Army Organizer)

By the first thaw of 1422, with no fresh attackers on the horizon and the budget stable-if-not-healthy, those who feared a defenseless Order would be dogpiled (Like me!) breathed a sigh of relief.(Stab 2) Danziger merchants went so far as to cancel several interest payments on outstanding loans, not out of any great love for the Order so much as to convince von Plauen not to think of them as enemies, and to pay up. (Gift to the State: 9.55d)

New World Order

The Hochmeister's devotion to stabilizing the economy didn't distract him from his true purpose.

142202PolCoalition_zps59916b82.jpg

Every silver coin that entered the treasury went right back out into slowly rebuilding the Teuton army. Indeed, if the economy broke under loan payments, so be it. He hadn't forgiven the Danzigers for rising up after Tannenberg and resisting new taxes. Further, most of his creditors, like elsewhere in Europe during this period, were Jews: Repudiating a few loans presented no ethical dilemma.

In May 1422, riders from the Livonian Brotherhood raced to Marienberg with urgent news: The Danes were back for Osel, and while the Order no longer had direct interest in Livonia, there was the matter of an alliance.

It would not do. May finally saw Teuton ships repaired enough to begin escorting trade convoys again. The Teuton army still only existed on paper, with Grand Marschall Jungingen training the first banner of horsemen himself. The Teuton navy could try, but the last war proved the Kalmar Union could control the Baltic with ease. The Livonians would be sent away empty handed and empty hearted. It didn't help matters when Danish king Erik VII lamented von Plauen's decision:

And here I was hoping for a rematch. I did not know the Order breeded cowards.
(Insult)

Ten months later, following a stubborn defense, Denmark signed peace in exchange for fishing and trading rights. (I didn't see their war end so I'm not certain of the terms, except no land exchanged hands and the LO is still independent.)

As the Livonians struggled, the Order continued to quietly strengthen. Deep rifts still needed to be healed: Peasants resented draconian taxes that only went into replenishing the army. Pomeranian dissidents in Hinterpommern longed to return to Duke Wroclaw despite the fact Castillans were overwhelming his lands, one of the odder side effects of a Bavarian/Austrian disagreement that got out of hand. Some in the Neumark thought they'd do better reunited with Brandenburg. With tension mounting through 1423, the Order's new tressler (treasurer), Anton von Freiburg, authorized a general amnesty for 'misplaced' tax records. (Stability 3)

The effect wasn't quite as intended: Merchants hailed the amnesty. Pomeranian nobles in particular loved it as this erased a number of 'excises' and other poorly hidden penalties resulting from their resistance during the war. (Hinterpommern becomes Core) Local nobles, already taxed lightly as much of their holdings were held in the Church's name, applauded the effort. If Freiburg expected the effect to trickle down to the commoner however, he'd be disappointed. So would the peasants, but without backing from even the burghers to fund mercenaries they held their peace. Freiburg learned his lesson well however, taking time during the amnesty to update his records and so tax more efficiently in the future. (Improve Government Tech: +0.5 inflation, +50 Admin points)

Politically the Order strengthened as well: An alliance with Novgorod replaced the Livonians, a necessary step to contain Lithuania. For their part, the Lithuanians described their relationship with the Order as 'cordial' despite deep seated cultural and religious differences, while Wladyslaw repudiated his interest in forcing von Plauen to 'bend his knee.' (I guess Poland has a new mission, as their subjugation CB ran out in 1423) Perhaps this was the beginning of a thaw, though it would take longer to reach Marienberg.

Decision at Kulm

Jungingen's efforts to rebuild the army proceeded, though to his distress he couldn't convince his new recruits to do more than defend their home villages. (My morale is crap due to high War Exhaustion, which isn't going down very fast due to von Plauen's Dip 0. They're locked in place.) He appealed to his lieutenants, who reported wide spread unwillingness to serve as more than a defensive local force. A Teuton serjeant, later disciplined for insubordination, bluntly said:

Serjeant said:
We know what happens when you bring together men from all over and try to lead them, Grand Marschall. They die.

Jungingen didn't need help feeling guilty about his misadventures during the last campaign and ultimately stepped down. Immanuel von Altenburg succeeded him with eloquence:

Altenburg said:
You will stand up and report to Marienberg, or I will kill you myself.

This failed to have the desired effect, and since it turned out Altenburg wasn't willing to murder his own troops (or get murdered by them), the impasse continued into 1424.

Poles in the Kulmerland (Chelmno) didn't appreciate the Order's strengthening. Duke Konrad of Masovia ceded the region to the Teutons in 1226 and even sponsored German settlers, but the Poles always held the majority and never forgot their identity despite centuries of pressure from their Teutonic overlords. They'd enjoyed a few repatriation attempts: A widespread, bloodless revolt followed Tannenberg with the organizers dissolving following the Treaty of Thorn. Pole commander Zawesa Czarny briefly conquered the region during the last war, but again it didn't last. By 1424 dissidents throughout the region were convinced there were only two things for it: First, they could come to more amenable terms with the Knights, second they could revolt and join Masovia while the Teutons were still too weak to resist.

Von Plauen didn't do amenable.

142405Revolt_zpsb0f9fb5d.jpg

At the outbreak of hostilities, the Teutons had 4,000 men under arms, and Altenburg still wasn't having any success in organizing them. The grossgebetiger reluctantly authorized an additional 3,000 mercenaries - only to find they wouldn't move from their staging ports either!

Mercenary Captain said:
We know what happens to mercenaries when the Teutons go on campaign.

Masovian diplomats offered to serve as mediators, but von Plauen sensed a trap and rebuffed them. (Masovia asks for MA) With the Order unwilling to accept help and unable to stem the rebellious elements in their army, towns throughout the Kulmerland surrendered in August.

Altenburg finally spurred his army into motion, promising the spoils of the Kulmerland 'as if they were freshly conquered' as well as appealing to ethnic fears.

Altenburg said:
And if you won't defend the Order, what then? Do they march on Marienberg? Will you bend your knee to a Polish hochmeister?

Over the next few months the 'regulars' convinced the squatting mercenary companies to see things their way, and on November 16, Altenburg descended on the Kulmerland.

He wasn't ready. The Order wasn't ready. (I realized as the fighting began that I was still at half military maintenance.)

The army's 'revolt' had cost it months of training and perhaps a year's worth of cohesion. Every man fought for himself. Fortunately the rebel 'commander', a Polish soldier named Bogumil, knew nothing of tactics and so the two armies engaged in a frontal brawl. The armies were even, 7,000 a piece. As it turned out losses would turn out to be equal as well, some 1,100 wounded or dead. Altenburg lost his flanks though and had to withdraw.

Bogumil triumphantly led his 'army' into Poland to swear fealty. He had reason to be confident: He could simply hand the Kulmerland to Masovia or Poland, and had just bested the Teuton army to keep it.

Wladyslaw didn't see it that way: Despite von Plauen's intractibility, he still saw the Knights as a valuable northern buffer that could be incorporated peacefully. Whereas Sternberg once imagined the Order as the Emperors' militant arm, Wladyslaw wondered if the Ordenstaadt would like a job as his 'ace in the hole', his last resort army when the Polish (or Lithuanian) nobility grew uppity. Von Plauen wouldn't live forever, his council might be more obliging, and anyway the last thing he needed was Bogumil's renegade army encouraging other nobles to raise armies of their own. (Odd. With Chelmno in rebel hands my country was 50% broken, and their demand was to be 'given' to Masovia. Then rather than go for Marienberg or chase my army down, the rebels went to Kalisz. Wladyslaw showed up with his army.)

He executed Bogumil in early January. Altenburg returned to Kulm later that month and claimed the last town of the dying rebellion by August. Before the usual (and promised) atrocities occured, Hochmeister von Plauen stopped them.

In 1425, von Plauen was 55, in the mood to reexamine his life, and fairly secure atop the Order. Though not at all convinced of Wladyslaw's trustworthiness, executing Bogumil had been a solid first step. He was willing to wait and see. (And remove Poland/Lithuania as rivals. For now.)

COMMENTS: Well, I fully expected to be dogpiled with 0 army. I'm not sure it's good for the AI that I wasn't, but I'll take it. The next test will be December 1426 when the Poles decide if they'd like to try again. They don't have a CB though.

I wanted to discuss the economy. As I wrote last time, I thought the Order had 18/20 loans and 18.9 war exhaustion. It turns out I read the screen wrong, the 18/20 was also a reflection of war exhaustion. I kept spending money (and taking loans for those mercs) expecting to go bankrupt in September 1424 and living with the consequences. Nope.

Actually, the EU4 wiki says you don't go bankrupt unless interest payments > income, and I'm a long ways from that. I am gaining 0.1 inflation every time I renew though, and between that and my 'Improve Tech' events I'm up to 4 inflation. I'm hoping the AI continues to leave me alone, because I need to take a few years and try to deal with this. There are 17 loans pending.

BONUS FEATURE:

And now, as some reward for hanging out with me: Europe in 1425.

142512EuropeMap_zps8577e710.jpg

A few random comments:

• Constantinople is Ottoman a few years early.
  • Naples looks like they want to form Italy.
  • From a territorial standpoint, I don't think the east has moved. If so, very little
  • A weak emperor and EU4's tendency to blob means lots of Imperial consolidating.
  • With a 1399 start France is going to have a little extra trouble.
  • At least England's almost off the continent.
  • Castile took a chunk out of Aragon.

Well written, interesting and a pleasure to read! Keep it up =)

Well, I fully expected to be dogpiled with 0 army. I'm not sure it's good for the AI that I wasn't, but I'll take it.

I don't know, after peace with Poland/Lithuania the only nations that could have gone for you where Denmark/Sweden (who decided on the LO as maybe a softer target) or Bohemia (who were probably still badly worn out by their previous war), so I see it as a fortunate circumstantial reprieve for the TO... That you'll be lucky like this a second time, I wouldn't bet on it :)

Amazing you survived and only one revolt. Guess that's an action to core, although it probably is already, and culture flip in Chelmno. How much does the Order owe? 150 ducats? That's a few weaker states than the Teutonic Knights, like Riga (try to get with a dishonoured call), Masovia (when it's on its own as Poland likely has take Warsaw as its mission) and Pomerania (hopefully alone, but you've Hungary if the Emperor gets frisky) and use the proceeds of the raids to pay off loans.

Masovia may offer an opportunity, if Lithuania fights alongside Masovia against Poland. The Order is part of an anti-Polish Coalition. The Order might be torn between helping to dismember Poland and take Kalisz or seeking to retake Samogitia, its new core Grodno and perhaps Kuvdno to open up a route to Riga. von Plauen may place retaking Order land lost in previous wars to revenge against Poland.

The alliances with Hungary and Novgorod provide the necessary diplomatic and military counterweight to Poland/Lithuania.