• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Introduction

Flinteroon

First Lieutenant
37 Badges
Jun 11, 2021
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
Emirate.png

Introduction

After I was forced to abandon my Basque/Navarra playthrough due to mods becoming incompatible following an update, I saw fit to download and save the mods locally so no such thing could occur again. As I was unable to fullfill my goal of seeing the run through the end-date, I decided to start anew with a new run. I was unsure of where to play as I had a few good choices in mind, but ultimately settled for the Emirate of Bari.

This short lived Emirate would have its fortunes ended by 871 in our timeline as a coalition of Frankish and Langobard armies rained down upon it with the assistance of Croats and the Republic of Ragusa from across the Adriatic Sea, ending with the Byzantine Empire reclaiming the lands after Emperor Louis was unable to hold it. Emir Sawdan was chained and taken to Benevento where he was executed and never again would those parts of Italy be under Muslim control. I thought it would be fun to reverse its fortunes and see a Muslim kingdom flourish out of Southern Italy.
I don't really have any set goals for this run other than establish a Kingdom and survive as long as possible. Crusades will likely be a problem, and I installed a mod called "Historic Invasions" which has, as the name suggests, implemented many historic invasions. Among these are the Hauteville Normans, which will likely strike at my Kingdom and topple me, but I hope to be strong enough by them to resist them, or at least have lands outside of the Kingdom of Sicily to flee to. This invasion may or may not happen, as the Normans never did settle in Normandy in my run as they normally do, so without Normans in Normandy I don't see how there can be Normans in Sicily. We shall see.

As with my previous run I won't be playing in Ironman, however I don't plan on using any cheats to improve my station, I only use the console to fix extreme border gore, usually by exchanging provinces among the guilty to have a more fun playthrough, especially because the 867 start date can be too chaotic at times. I also like to give the Carolingian heirs claims to their neighbor Kingdoms if they happen to lose the claims after a few inheritances. This usually prevents Carolingian bordergore and leads to an Empire forming, either Francia or Germany/HRE. Only to Carolingians though, as its their "birthright." If an usurper were to seize the Kingdoms he wouldn't get those claims, nor would I give them to the Carolingians. A lost Kingdom is a lost Kingdom.

If you were wondering what other options I considered for this run, my options were:

-An uprising out of North Africa by the Afri, the native Christian Romano-Berbers who still inhabited the region at the time and spoke Latin. They were still majority in many towns and cities across Morocco, Algeria, and Tunis, mostly along the coastline. This run would have forced me to use the character editor to create an Afri ruler since no such rulers existed at the time. These Romano-Berbers would last be spoken of in the 12th century by the Geographer al-Idrisi, claiming that the city of Gafsa was still mostly populated by them, probably their last refugee as they were assimilated by Muslim Berbers and Maghrebi Arabs.

Queen Kahina.png

Queen Dihya Kahina led the Berbers in battle against the Umayyad in the 7th century, defeating them in numerous occasions before being defeated. Perhaps a reincarnation of her could've been my first character through the editor

-The principality of Pagania on the Adriatic coast, populated by the Slavic Pagan Narentines. These Narentines were renowned pirates and fierce rivals of the Republic of Venice, and would be the last of the South Slavs to embrace Christianity long after the Serbs and Croats had already done so, and only doing so after being conquered by a joint Croat and Venetian force at the start of the 11th century.

Pagania.png

The Principality of Pagania and neighboring South Slavic states in the 9th century. Despite its small size, the Narentines of Pagania were feared reavers who pillaged all across the Adriatic and defeated the Venetians aplenty. Basically Slavic Adriatic Vikings, or like the ancient Illyrians.

-The alleged colony of Nova Anglia, or New England. While its existence is only attested in two much later sources, many modern historians have embraced its historicity as certain nameplaces have granted credence to this Anglo-Saxon colony in the Crimean Peninsula, founded by refugees fleeing from the Norman Conquest of the Bastard William. Around this time the Byzantine Varangian Guard had become mostly of Anglo-Saxon stock, and its alleged that after defending a siege from heathens many of these refugees were granted lands in the Black Sea, reconquering them and renaming them New England.

1665293310240.png

Anglo-Saxon Varangians riding alongside Emperor Alexios I

All three are as far as I know largely unknown and very interesting, and I perhaps chose the least interesting among them, but only Bari and Pagania would allow me to play without creating a character and doing some light modding, of which the Nova Anglia run would have required me to do the most of. In the end I settled for Bari since I never really play Muslim characters. Anyways, I hope y'all enjoy reading this run, thank you. Maybe after I'm done with this run I'll go back and play one of the other three.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 0 - The Birth of the Emirate of Bari (827-867)
Chapter 0 - The Birth of the Emirate of Bari (827-867)

It had been more than two and a half centuries since that fated day that the angel Gabriel descended upon Jabal-al-Nour (the Cave of Light) to meet with the holy Prophet Muhammad and began revealing to him the Quran, the word of Allah. From humble beginnings on the arid sands of Arabia, these words would rapidly spread all throughout the known world, whether by arms or otherwise.

From the Pyrenee Mountains that divided the lands of Francia and Hispania, all across the Maghreb and Egypt, through the Levant and Mesopotamia, reaching across the Zagros Mountains into the ancient lands of Persia and beyond, Islam reigned supreme. The armies of the Caliphate had made sure of that. Yet the authority of the Caliphs had come into question far too many times, leading to a myriad of revolts, uprisings, and civil wars. These series of conflicts would exhaust the caliphal armies, and further defeats against the Romans (at the failed siege of Constantinople), and the Franks (at the hands of Charles Martel) would greatly halt the expansion of Islam across the Mediterranean.

As the Ummah (basically the Muslim World) begun to crumble, ambitious warlords and populist heresiarchs began to carve out independent emirates for themselves and their families out of the weakened Caliphate, with some even claiming the title of Caliph themselves. These quarrelsome independent realms would continue to squabble among themselves even as the Christians began to recuperate their strength.

In Hispania, the unruly Astures, Cantabri, and Vascones of the northern hills and mountains had welcomed and integrated the fleeing Visigothic nobility after Tariq ibn Ziyad landed in Gibraltar and conquered their Kingdom. From this rugged land they had forged a powerful Kingdom rooted in their mutual Christian faith from where to oppose Muslim rule, and with support from the Franks across the Pyrenees they began to launch attacks against the Umayyads of Cordoba. Across the Caucasus the Khazars had embraced Judaism and fervently opposed Islamic expansion across Armenia and Georgia. Meanwhile North of Persia a myriad of Oghuz, Karluk, and Uyghur peoples had began to oppose any further incursions from Baghdad, marking Transoxiana the border between those wild lands and the Ummah. In time these Turkic peoples would begin to embrace Islam as well, but in these early days their armies would cease all caliphal expansion northward.

The Romans in Anatolia remained stalwart in opposition to Islam, the Sahara made expansion into the gold and salt rich lands of West Africa excruciatingly difficult, as did the Taklaman desert and the Himalayas to the East of Persia. The princely states of India were as numerous as they were troublesome and their faiths were too deep-rooted to easily topple. Only one avenue of expansion remained for the armies of Islam: The Isle of Sicily and the Italian Peninsula.

Berber Pirates.png

Berber and Arab pirates assaulting a Frankish vessel in the Mediterranean

Since the first Arab armies took to sea their fleets had plagued the Christian realms of the Mediterranean, nigh unstoppable bar the presence of that damned Greek Fire. The Aghlabid dynasty of Africa were avid reavers, raiding all across the isles of Sardinia, Sicily, and the Adriatic Sea. Although raids in these lands had begun as far back as the 7th century, the conquest of Sicily would not begin until 827 AD when a local Roman commander revolted against his emperor and sought the aid of the Aghlabids. Championing Jihad they dispatched an army to aid this commander, who was quickly sidelined once this army landed. They failed to take Syracuse, but resisted the Roman counterattack and with the aid of Al-Andalus they were able to seize Palermo, which would become the capital of the new Muslim province of Sicily.

Since then Muslim control over the island only grew and its people soon began to prosper under the enlightened rule of Islam, free from the despotism of Constantinople. In time, these Sicilian Muslims would begin to establish footholds in the mainland, albeit with little success as they faced the Southern Langobards who resisted them with wrath. It would take two whole decades and an escaped slave before a permanent foothold was established in the peninsula.

In 847 AD a malwa, an escaped slave of Berber descent named Khalfun would gather supporters in Sicily and launch an independent strike against the Roman garrisons posted at the walls of Bari, conquering the city and establishing an independent emirate from within. The conquest was seen by contemporary Muslims as unimportant, having been carried out by a minor figure without the support of any Muslim state, however his successor Mufarrag would send requests to the Abbasid Caliph in Baghdad as well as to his provincial gorvernor in Egypt asking for recognition of his conquest with the title of wali, a provincial governor of one of the Caliphate's provinces, which was granted. Mufarrag would expand Muslim influence in the region and enlarge the territory of the Emirate.

Emir2.png

Emir Sawdan "al-Mawri," the third Emir of Bari

Ten years later in 857 AD Emir Sawdan dubbed "al-Mawri" or "the Moor," would come to power after the murder of his predecessor at the hands of Prince Adelchis of Benevento and his Langobards. Emir Sawdan would invade the lands of Adelchis and force the Prince to pay tribute to Bari. In 864 Sawdan would finally receive the official investiture from the Caliphate that Emir Mufarrag had requested before his passing. Despite now being de jure a governor for the Caliph, Bari remained de facto independent from Baghdad as was common practice among the myriad of independent Emirates across the Ummah.

Sawdan continued the work of Mufarrag and expanded the emirate further beyond the walls and farmlands of Bari, seizing Taranto from a neglected Roman garrison, and conquering the lands of Melfi away from the Prince of Salerno. The markets of Bari bloomed as the emirate grew prosperous with the influx of captured slaves, bountiful vineyards, and the growth in pottery-making. Despite the frequent attacks out of the city, the Emirate began establishing diplomatic relations with its neighboring states, solidifying itself as a permanent fixture in Southern Italy.

By the 860's Frankish monks began to frequent the roads of the Emirate of Bari asking for letters of safe-conduct from Sawdan himself, granting them safety as they journeyed through the lands of the Ummah on pilgrimage to Jerusalem. Sawdan established amicable relations with Jewish communities across Southern Italy, becoming well acquainted with prominent Jewish scholars and merchants. As Sawdan's influence continued to grow, more and more Barese ambassadors began to establish themselves in the neighboring polities, with one of particular notice taking residence in the episcopal palace of Salerno, much to the dismay of its local clergy. The city of Bari also became a refuge of sorts, hosting various political dissidents and rivals, particularly ones from the Frankish Emperor Louis II.

The Pope in Rome did not fail to take notice of the growing power of Emir Sawdan and Bari, and grew uneasy with the rise of a Muslim state so close to them right in Italy's midst. In 865 AD envoys from Rome arrived in the court of Louis II, pressuring the young Emperor into launching a war against Bari to dislodge Sawdan from the peninsula once and for all. For two long years Louis II prepared his armies, and finally in January of 867 AD his forces began marching South, determined to kill or capture this "Moor" who'd dare to try to reign as King in his peninsula.

867 Mediterranean.png

The Mediterranean Sea and its polities in the year 867 AD, note "Al-Mawri" in Southern Italy, denoting the Emirate of Bari. Emperor Louis II reigns from Italy.

Last edited:
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Glad to see you starting another AAR!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, your best chance probably is sicily plus the med islands, but crimea sounds promising, balkans too (that would be easier).

• 2Like
Reactions:
This is interesting. Thanks for catching us up on Bari's history.

That seems like a harsh starting position - let's hope that you can defeat the Carolingians...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Count me aboard as you try to outwit the god-less Greeks and Lombards. I am already a winner as I learned about four new groups. The voyage of the Anglo-Saxons sounds to be lifted from Greek mythology. It would be the natural successor to the Basque/Bretons of Britannia. Are you going to try to become a vassal of Baghdad/Egypt as Mufarrag wished? Thank you for linking and starting a new journey. May RNG smile at and bestow its bounty on this work.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Chapter 1 - Between an Anvil... (867-875)
Chapter 1 - Between an Anvil... (867-875)

Sawdan.png

Emir Sawdan of Bari in 867 AD. Gregarious, Just, Brave, with a 3/4 education in Stewardship and a self-procclaimed Holy Warrior

The Emirate of Bari was not one to lack in spies or scouts. As its influence across the southern reaches of the peninsula grew, its network of informants grew alongside it. Emperor Louis and his Italian host were unable to take even a single step without Emir Sawdan being informed of it. The forces of Sawdan could scarcely muster around 2,000 swords, and while such numbers allowed Bari to flex its strength against its Christian neighbors, they would be hard pressed to face the 4,500 strong host of the Frankish Emperor.

Ten years had passed since Sawdan became Emir of Bari and since then he had come to learn the lay of the land like the palm of his hand, as had done most of his warriors. The bulk of Sawdan's army was composed of Berber Abudrars, or mountain-men, who had come to the Emirate of Bari from Africa in search of a new home. These mountain men felt right at home amidst the woods and mountains of Lucania, from where Sawdan planned to launch his campaign of resistance against the host of Emperor Louis.

Lucania.png

The area in orange is roughly the region of Lucania, from where Sawdan would fight his guerrilla campaign against the Italians.

At the first word of the Emperor's advance South, Sawdan and his Abudrars abandoned the cities the East. Even the city of Bari itself was devoid of its defenders as they all marched in haste toward the western hills. Before they had left however, Emir Sawdan arranged for a ship to sail to sail out of Bari toward Alexandria, sending envoys to the court of Tulunid Egypt. There laid the lands of Sultan Ahmad, son of Tulun, who had recently became de facto independent from the Caliph of Baghdad and established the first independent dynasty to rule Egypt since the time of the Ptolemies of Macedonia.

Emir Sawdan requested the aid of the Egyptian Sultan and his armies to defend the Emirate of Bari and Islam itself as the swords of Rome threatened its existence in Italy. It would take roughly three years of savage guerrilla fighting before emissaries from Cairo returned back to the peninsula to relieve Sawdan. Three years of campaign had left the Emir exhausted, but the envoys bore good news: Sultan Ahmad was currently sailing toward Bari with the men of Egypt at his side to join his coreligionists in their struggle against the Italians. The Tulunid armies would land off the coast of Taranto in early August of 871, bearing 3,000 swords to join the 2,000 of the Barese. Due to the mobile nature of Sawdan's court during his time in Lucania, the men of Ahmad would struggle to make establish a line of communication with Sawdan, but by mid-September they would finally devise a plan to defeat Emperor Louis II.

Emir Sawdan gathered his men and began a swift march back to Bari, leaving behind the safety of the hills and exposing themselves on the Barese plains. Upon hearing of these news, Emperor Louis and his men marched in force to meet Sawdan's armies, assured that this battle would finally end the war, allowing him to return North to deal with his dynastic rivals who had all become de facto independent from his imperial court, effectively dissolving the Frankish Empire.

Emperor Louis had been right about one thing, the Battle of Gravina would conclude the war, but he had been none the wiser to the arrival of the Egyptians in the South. Sawdan and his men planted their feet and baited the Italians to attack them by approaching the Basento River, acting as if they would attempt to ford it. Outnumbering the Barese two-to-one, the Italian host soon lost all semblance of cohesion as they wildly launched themselves at the Barese who they believed trapped.

It did not take long for this chaotic army to succumb upon the arrival of Sultan Ahmad at their backs. The Italians found themselves trapped between the Barese and Basento River on their front, and the Egyptians on their backs, and soon their lines collapsed. Those who ran were met with a spear to the rear, while the ones who surrendered would find themselves in chains atop the Egyptian vessels, ready to be shipped and sold at the slave markets of Alexandria. Emperor Louis narrowly escaped the battlefield, leaving behind a trail of corpses as his imperial guard met their end facilitating his retreat.

Battle at Melfi.png

The Battle of Gravina, with the outnumbered Barese defending against the Italian advance moments before the Egyptians encircled them; 19 of September of 871 AD.

When the dust cleared, half of Sawdan's Abudrars laid dead, with the remaining half still bloodied from the fighting. While their losses had been severe, the Italian army had been destroyed down to the last man putting Emperor Louis' hopes of restoring the empire to rest. While the provinces of Melfi and Gravina had been mostly spared from the fighting, Andria, Bari, and Taranto had been nearly razed to the ground in the four years of fighting, with Sawdan unable to defend them from the Italian onslaught. A myriad of peasant revolts had also risen up in those provinces, but they had all been defeated by Emperor Louis who attempted to hold them in vain. By the end of the war much of these lands laid depopulated, with its dead and displaced Langobards and Greeks being replaced by incoming Berbers from the mainland, drastically changing the cultural and religious makeup of the region.

Right before departing from the ports of Bari with ships full of seized loot and slaves, Sultan Ahmad agreed to link his line with that of Sawdan by offering his daughter Fatima in marriage, establishing an alliance between the far-flung emirate and the powerful Sultanate of Egypt. The Egyptian Sultan promised to come to his defense if the Christians again chose to invade his lands, so long as his traders were exempted from taxes while in the city of Bari. Egypt would grow richer as a result of this agreement, further strengthening the Sultanate.

While the survival of the emirate had been secured for the time as the Italian threat had been vanquished, its borders were far from secure as its neighbors eyed it with ambition. Prince Guaifer of Salerno had assisted Emperor Louis during his disastrous campaign down South, supplying his army and providing sellswords for his campaign. Guaifer had not joined Louis' campaign in earnest however, for despite abhorring having a Muslim state for a neighbor having the Frankish Emperor in its place would be far worse. The Prince hoped for both sides to bleed each other so harshly so that he could come down and seize the lands of Bari unopposed, but just as the war concluded his Principality would enter its own conflict against the Republic of Amalfi, foiling his plans to invade the Emirate.

The Republic of Amalfi had long been rivals with the Principality of Salerno, only recently having freed itself from Langobard domination in 839 AD after suffering a sack of their city by the Langobards of Prince Guaifer's father. Believing Prince Guaifer weak, the Amalfitans striked switfly at Salerno in force but were unable to take the city and soon found themselves overwhelmed by the bellicose Langobards. Despite this early failure, the war would stretch to four arduous years, reaching a stalemate. While the Salernitans dominated in land, the Amalfitans reigned at sea and established a blockade of Salerno, isolating them from trade and any aid they may receive from abroad.

Both sides grew weary unable to break the deadlock, but eventually Prefect Marinus of Amalfi sent envoys to Bari seeking the aid of Emir Sawdan, asking for arms and men to defeat the Langobards of Prince Guaifer. Emir Sawdan had no love for the men of Amalfi, who often refused his traders at the gates of their city due to their faith, unwilling to let Muslims into their markets. Still, with the Romans looming large in Lecce and Calabria to the South, and the Langobards of Benevento to their North, getting rid of a rival would be greatly beneficial to ensure the survival of Bari as an independent Muslim state.

Sawdan agreed to join the forces of Marinus in battle to break the forces of Salerno, but in the end chose to betray the Amalfitans by delaying his march and ultimately missing the battle, leading to their slaughter at the hands of Prince Guaifer and his armies. The Langobard Prince would go on to sack the city of Amalfi, the second time the men of Salerno would do so. Guaifer would leave behind a cousin of his to rule the city in his name, and began marching back to Salerno in October of 875 with a long train of loot seized after their victory. This loot would never reach his city as Emir Sawdan ambushed his armies on their way back, wholly unaware that the Barese had ever gotten involved in the conflict.

Prince Guaifer's host would be slaughtered, his riches seized, and the Prince himself would be captured by Sawdan's Abudrars. For his freedom, Guaifer would capitulate to the Emir's demands, being forced to cede the province of Marsicovetere and promising a yearly tribute to Bari. These news would reach Amalfi the following day and Guaifer's cousin and his garrison would be ran out of the city, re-establishing Amalfi's independence, albeit in a very, very weakened state. In one stroke Sawdan had broken the power of two of his rivals, filled his coffers with the riches of Marinus' city, and greatly expanded his power across the South.

Salerno.png

Emir Sawdan and his men ambushing Prince Guaifer's host on the way back to Salerno; 30 of October, 875 AD.

After Marsico.png

Southern Italy at the turn of the year 875 AD, following the conquest of Marsicovetere by the Emirate of Bari

Last edited:
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Glad to see you starting another AAR!
Thanks for tuning in, I'm glad as well :).
Looking forward to this. Last AAR was fantastic.
Fantastic is to have you following along, thank you! Sorry that it was cut short.
When I think of Bari it makes me think of the Caspian Persian province, but I forgot Bari is a county in Sicily. And I am playing a Haesteinn game in Sicily.
There are many such places where names repeat. During my research I found out that not only was there a Ragusa in the Dalmatian Coast, but there's also another one in Sicily. Humans just aren't as creative as we think we are ;).
Well, your best chance probably is sicily plus the med islands, but crimea sounds promising, balkans too (that would be easier).
I think so too, so long as I can get off on the right foot. The Emirate of Bari starts at war with Italy so it can be hard, but thankfully its just Italy and not Italy and all the Lombard/Langobard states, and the Croats, and the Dalmatians, and the Byzantines as it was in real life o_O. Pagania in the Balkans would probably be impossible if I remained pagan, but turning Christian would basically invalidate what made the Narentines cool so I probably wouldn't wanna do that. The Saxons in Crimea are by far the most interesting I think, maybe that'll be my next run.
This is interesting. Thanks for catching us up on Bari's history.

That seems like a harsh starting position - let's hope that you can defeat the Carolingians...
No problem. I feel like I always gotta help people catch up on the history since I like to pick obscure places to play in. If I were to play as Hasteinn or William the Bastard I there would be no such need, but then it wouldn't be as interesting I think, at least not for me since I've played those starts to death.
Count me aboard as you try to outwit the god-less Greeks and Lombards. I am already a winner as I learned about four new groups. The voyage of the Anglo-Saxons sounds to be lifted from Greek mythology. It would be the natural successor to the Basque/Bretons of Britannia. Are you going to try to become a vassal of Baghdad/Egypt as Mufarrag wished? Thank you for linking and starting a new journey. May RNG smile at and bestow its bounty on this work.
I know right? I'm always fascinated to learn about these interesting and ephemeral groups in history, we seldom hear about them and yet you can find thousands of books about Rome or Victorian England in libraries and bookstores. Other than by accident it's hard to stumble upon these more obscure peoples and/or events. I also thought about how fitting it would be to play as the Saxons of Nova Anglia since I did displace the Saxons from England in my last run, but alas maybe next time.

I won't become a vassal of anyone, not willingly at least. Asking for recognition to the Caliph was by this point a formality, many de facto independent emirs and sultans continued doing so but only paid lip service to the Caliph, especially during this time as the Kharijite Rebellion (866-896) and the Anarchy at Samarra (861-870) were both going on, leaving the Caliphate toothless and unable to function properly.

Thanks for reading everyone!

Reactions:
Massive victory. Can you provide more detail on Emir Sawdan either screenshot or prose (preferably)? Thank you for the update.

The Egyptians came through.
Thanks for reading! I did forget to add a picture of him, it's been added to the beginning of Chapter 1. I'll write more about him in the following chapter.

Reactions:
A guerrilla campaign was a good idea.

Alliances with others are a good idea. Will there be other alliances with Muslim powers? Do you expect the Tulunids to drag you into their conflicts?

Also, helping other small states that don't share your religion... well, that's Realpolitik for you.

Reactions:
Hmm. Seems like a good start. Need to start edging towards Sicily ASAP though before either the byzantine or much stronger Muslim empires swallow it up.

Reactions:
Chapter 2 - ...and a Hammer (875-883)
Chapter 2 - ...and a Hammer (875-883)

The struggle for dominance across South Italy went beyond the borders of Langobardia and the Emirate of Bari, further to the South and across the Sea, the Aghlabid Sultanate of Ifriqiya, or Africa, had been busy expanding its power through the last decade under the watchful eye of Sultan Muhammad II. The Aghlabids had first sailed out of Africa in the year 827 AD, determined to make the isle of Sicily their next acquisition. Their armies first launched themselves upon the provincial Roman capital of Syracuse, descending upon its walls fiercely all to no avail. They had overestimated their abilities and lacked the proper siege equipment to bring its walls down, and so it would remain unconquered. The same could not be said for the other Roman holdings in the island however. One by one they had all fallen like dominoes to the mighty warriors from Ifriqiya, and by 867 only Syracuse remained under Roman control.

The Roman Empire still stood as the preeminent power in the Mediterranena, but had been slow to respond against this threat out of Africa. Far to the East, Emperor Basil I "the Macedonian," had been contending with Paulician heretics in Eastern Anatolia for the past decade, struggling to defeat them due to the support provided to them by the Muslim Arabs at the Empire's borders, eager to support the chaos brewing within the Empire. Well aware of this conflict, Sultan Muhammad II would launch one final campaign against the Romans of Sicily. Like a lightning strike the Aghlabids would coordinate a two-pronged attack upon the fortress, raining upon both the Roman garrisons at the walls and their fleet off the coast of Syracuse simultaneously, ensuring no defenders could escape of seek aid from their nearby holdings in Calabria or Malta.

By 870 AD the walls of Syracuse would finally give in, concluding the Aghlabid conquest of Sicily, but their attacks did not cease. They would continue their campaign against the Romans by laying siege to the city of Melite in Malta, capturing it by 872 AD and completely depopulating it through the savage murder and enslavement of its people. Muhammad II had hoped to continue his streak of successes across the mainland, but his transport fleet heading to Calabria would be struck by a freak storm within the sight of the coast, sinking the vast majority of his fleet. What few men remained alive after that ordeal soon found themselves put through the sword as they washed up at the beach where eager Romans awaited them sword in hand. Despite that disastrous turn of events the Aghlabids still had much to celebrate as their conquest of Sicily had been finally achieved, even seizing the key ports of Malta in the process.

Aghlabids Malta.png

The Aghlabid Siege of Melite in Malta, March of 872 AD.

Just as the events of the Siege of Melite were unfolding in Spring of 872, in the province of Sebasteia the armies of Emperor Basil I had begun clashing against the Paulician rebels in one last flurry of steel. The combined Paulician and Arab combatants outnumbered the Imperial host gathered there but their numbers proved useless as the heavily armored Cataphracts cut through them like butter, putting an end to their rabble once and for all.

The loss of Syracuse and Malta greatly hampered Roman ability to control the Mediterranean, and Emperor Basil was well aware of the part luck had played in the defense of Calabria. Had the storm not occurred Calabria would have likely fallen prey to the Aghlabids as well, all but putting an end to Roman presence in Italy (albeit their sole fortress of Lecce at the heel would remain). With so many troubles back at home it would only be a matter of time before he found himself distracted again, providing the Aghlabids another opportunity to strike at Calabria.

The Emperor could not allow such a thing to happen and thus he sailed for Italy with a great host of men to strengthen the garrisons at Reggio, Catanzaro and Cosenza, ordering the construction of several new towers and fortresses to better defend these key cities of Roman Calabria. The Emperor wished to take the fight back to the Aghlabids in Sicily, but recent defeats off the coast of Syria against the Caliphate's navy had left the Imperial fleet severely weakened and it would take nearly a decade before such a campaign could be launched. Waiting that long would make the Empire appear weak against its enemies, inspiring foes to launch new strikes at the fringes of the Empire they believed weak. With Sicily out of his reach, Emperor Basil I began planning instead to strike at the upstart Emirate of Bari, wishing to break it before it could materialize into yet another rival of the caliber of the Aghlabids.

ships.png

The Roman reinforcements sailing to Calabria, 873 AD

When Sawdan had been chosen to succeed Mufarrag as the third Emir of Bari, one of the key reasons for which he had been selected were his ties with all three religious communities within the great city. He had been born a Muslim of Amazigh (Berber) descent and so he was a member of the ruling class of the great city, making him eligible for the title. During Mufarrag's reign he had served as ambassador to the neighboring states of Benevento, Salerno, and even the Roman city of Lecce, and thus was well known to the Christian rulers of the region which would find engaging in diplomacy with him far more favorable than with an unknown Muslim fresh off the mainland. Sawdan had also become acquainted with the local clergy of Bari and reassured them of their rights were he to ascend to the throne, and their riches helped Sawdan convince some of his fellow Muslims to side with him. Lastly, Sawdan was known to frequent the Jewish quarter of the city often, engaging in board games and philosophy with the scholars of the time. He was not bright enough to bring forth any of his own teachings, but he knew well enough how well these learned men enjoyed the sound of their own voice and thus he listened well, earning their friendship through the years.

As Emperor Basil I's activities in Calabria intensified, he and his men came into conflict with the local Jewish communities. Many of his men came with great zeal to defend their lands from the heathens, and paid little mind to the difference between Jews and Muslims, engaging in violent attacks against them. Entire towns were cleansed off their Jewish population as they were killed or driven off as they fled persecution from Basil's men. It was here that Sawdan's ties with the Jewish community allowed him to attract the bulk of the fleeing refugees, refugees that in due time would gladly participate in the defense of their new home Bari.

At first Emir Sawdan had only seen the Emperor's prescence in Italy as a response to the Aghlabid conquests, but as more and more refugees arrived to the city they carried with them word of his plans to strike at Bari, which the refugees had heard slip out of the mouths of their harassers. Phrases like "there's no point in fleeing North, we shall soon strike there and deal with you all over," were common enough among the Romans, forcing Sawdan to once more send word to Egypt requesting aid from Sultan Muhammad Tulunid, his father-in-law.

The Egyptian Sultan did not hesitate to respond and once again sailed from the East to assist his daughter's husband and defend the Ummah in Italy. The Egyptian host arrived in the autumn of 876 AD, and with the combined forces of Bari numbered nearly 7,000 swords, about 2,000 short of what Emperor Basil I could muster if he gathered all the imperial forces for an attack. While Sawdan remained cautious at the face of their numerical inferiority, he was confident the defender's advantage would grant him the edge needed to defeat the Romans. They'd be unprepared to assault the Barese in their home territory, especially those heavily armored cataphracts of theirs.

Much to the chagrin of his generals who insisted he waited for the Spring, Emperor Basil I launched his campaign in the Winter of that same year, 876 AD. Emperor Basil crossed the Adriatic and landed in the port of Avlona in Northern Greece, where the bulk of the imperial armies had gathered and awaited transport to Lecce, the Roman holding sitting at the heel of the Italian peninsula and from where they would launch their attack on Bari. His naval officers had warned him that such an operation could be treacherous as Winter storms were oft to blow ships off course, but Basil I had become aware of the Tulunid landing in Bari and of Sawdan's construction of defenses along their border and hoped he could strike before they could truly dig in and become a problem.

It is often said that the human spirit is indomitable, but even it cannot fight back against the forces of nature. Just as his officers had foretold, Basil I's invasion fleet was blown off course several leagues to the North, and rather than landing in the Roman holdings at the heel, his forces were met with the coasts of Bari, just a mile or two outside the city. They were easily spotted along the way by fishing vessels who alertted the Emir promptly, and when the Romans disembarked they were met with the combined Barese and Egyptian armies, leading to their slaughter.

Byzantine Battlee.png

The disastrous Roman landing and charge at the Battle of Bari, with the walls of the city on the background; 31 of December of 876 AD.

The fighting at the beaches of Bari proved fierce, and soon sand and sea alike were dyed red with the blood of fallen combatants. The Romans were weary from their journey at sea, but the impromptu manner in which the battle unfolded left the Barese with little time to mount any sort of palisade or defense at the beach that could provide them a bigger advantage. Bogged down by mud and water, and weighed down by their soaked cloths and heavy armor, the Romans were unable to dislodge the Muslim faithful from the beach however, and were cut down where they stood. Only a a meager fraction of the original Roman forces remained standing when the Emperor gave the order of retreat, and even fewer would actually leave the beach alive as they were left behind by the frightened Emperor who chose to flee in a hurry rather than wait for his men to board, fearing that the Barese would too board and give pursuit.

News of the Roman defeat at the beaches of Bari soon spread all across the East, eventually making their way to the ears of the Bulgarian Tsar Boris who did not delay to make preparations and seized the chance to strike at their rivals to the South. The Bulgarian Tsardom had recently undergone baptism and embraced Christianity in order to find acceptance with fellow rulers in Europe, leveraging the support of the Kingdom of East Francia and the Pope in Rome against Constantinople and Emperor Basil. While Tsar Boris I had left behind his heathen ways, the Romans remained his enemy and thus he launched an invasion of his own in the Balkans. Boris would unsuccesfully lay siege to Constantinople, who stood fast behind its Theodosian Walls despite the might of the Bulgarian host. Despite their failure to take "the City of the World's Desire," much of the Empire's lands this side of the Bosporus had been put to the torch. By Spring of 880 AD Emperor Basil would sue for peace against his Bulgarian foe and cede the lands around Adrianople and beyond, granting the Bulgarians a port on the Aegean and cutting off Thrace and Constantinople from Thessalonika and Greece proper.

Boris I.png

Tsar Boris I cutting down some fleeing Romans in flight after a victory in the plains of Thrace; Winter of 879 AD.

Had the Bulgarians not chosen to strike so soon, Emperor Basil may have been able to gather the Calabrian garrisons and strike back at the Emirate of Bari, as these men never made it to the battle at the beach nor suffered under the Bulgarians' attacks and thus remained unouched by war. Instead Emperor Basil was forced to respond to the much more pressing threat in Greece and abandoned the Calabrian garrisons to their fate. For the next six years the Barese and Egyptian armies would put many of the recently constructed fortresses of Calabria to the torch, looting and pillaging as they went. Where towns and villages once stood only the black scars of fire and ash remained. Despite this wanton brutality, Sawdan earned a reputation as a just monarch for allowing any Romans who yielded without a fight to be spared and resettle within the walls of Bari. Those who faced the swords of the Tulunids however were not so lucky and would be harried off to be sold in the markets of Alexandria as slaves.

As these events unfolded in Calabria, Caliph Abdallah of the Abbasid Sunni Caliphate had began marching his armies deep into Anatolia, exploiting the recent Roman defeat in Thrace at the hands of the Bulgarians. The Empire had descended into a state of anarchy without any semblance of an imperial army to speak of. Local garrisons had been forced to organize among themselves for their defence as Emperor Basil jumped from one crises to another. By January of 883 AD the last of the Roman fortresses in Calabria had fallen and more than a year had passed since there had last been reinforcements sent from across the Adriatic, for they had been too busy dealing with Arabs and Bulgarians at their borders.

Emir Sawdan had attempted to sign peace with the Romans, sending envoys to Constantinople more than once but none had managed to make their way back. Whether it had been a storm that took them, caliphal raiding vessels, or even the work of Roman Aegean pirates reveling in the chaos of Imperial anarchy, only God could know. By August of that same year Sawdan had grown tired of awaiting for diplomats to settle a peace deal and simply took on the title of the new Emir of Calabria, and garrisoned the cities of Reggio, Catanzaro and Cosenza bringing along with them Muslim settlers from Bari to make up for the many losses during the war and ensure these cities remained loyal to their new ruler.

South Italy.png

Southern Italy at the end of the year 883 AD. The isle of Sicily is now fully under Aghlabid control. while the lands of Calabria now form part of the Emirate of Bari

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
One more push to get the Romans out of Italy entirely and you might be left alone for a while by the empire, who have bigger things to focus on.

Sicily on the other hand might become something of a problem...

• 2Like
Reactions:
Conquering southern Italy is good, but I worry that the Byzantines will be desperate for revenge...

The best move there is to point them at Sicily and pray that the island satisfies them.

• 2Like
Reactions: