• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That was an crushing defeat of the Roman fleet, a shame that they sneaked up on you later.

Indeed.

Is there any way to get the Parthians to attack the Egyptians? Other than that, I don't know how you could deal with the Egyptians in a straight-up fight.

You fared better against the Romans (especially in the beginning) than I would've expected, based purely on the size discrepancy on the map. It's really too bad that they decided to go after you, when Macedonia makes a far more logical target. I hope this was a little AI spasm, not a harbinger of future conflicts to come. If Rome has decided they now need to beat up on you, I fear the end game will be a cycle of Rome and Egypt playing tag team to body-slam you into the ground...

Luckily Egypt have not attacked me for quite some time despite actually having a casus belli (their claims on my starting provinces) and the occasional mission to do so. Somehow I doubt it will last. As for any possible Parthia vs Egypt wars, I'd rather not see them as the most likely result would be Egypt beating up yet another country.

That went less badly than I would have expected.

I think I agree with that assessment.

Some fantastic results in the opening battles there, and the political map at the end highlights how well you did to escape relatively unscathed.

Egypt and Rome continue to look very intimidating on either side of you however, hopefully they will turn their attention to each other. IF Rome would only expand in the Balkans and get a land border, you could get yourself a very useful ally.

It's been years since I played, when does a game of Rome finish?

730ish I think. Think it will be 727 but not entirely sure.

Between A Rock and a Hard Place
Civil Wars and Cliffhangers

It takes time to rebuild a fleet. Especially when you need a pretty large one and only have limited access to wood. So basically I build ships constantly in the provinces that can (3 (Leptis, Corniclanum and Barca), 4 if you count Crete, although construction is much slower there. Later I do manage to trade some wood to Cyrene as well). As for what happens outside the borders of Cyrenaica, well first of all Egypt is thrown into a civil war. Awesome.

efmjqa.jpg

While the rebels get the Cyrenaica province, the fact that a large loyalist army is sitting there means trying to grab it in a quick war is probably a bad idea. Two years later the Romans finally attack Macedonia. And a few months later suffer a civil war as well.

1ensrs.jpg

At that time Egypt has reduced to rebels to one province, but it takes almost three more years before they finish them off. In the meantime the Parthians suffer through a brief civil war as well, while I get the ability to construct the best possible walls in the game (which I promptly do, it is not like I lack the money). The civil wars all end the same year, first the Parthian, the next month the Roman and one month after that the Egyptian one. And as the time to end this update comes near the Romans declare war. They march an army to siege Sabratha but in the first month of the new year my closest army arrives and drives them away.

2h6vej6.jpg

As the year now is 670 AUC it is time to end this update. Silly Romans, could they not have waited, now we won't know how things will end until the next update. Well here is the world as it is at the current date.

swd3er.jpg

Macedonia is collapsing as Egypt and Rome have both expanded. The Parthians are occupying the eastern Seleucid province but no peace has been signed yet. We see a new country that managed to appear during the Egyptian civil war, Corduene. Cappadocia also made an appearance but was crushed after a few brief years of independence. Corduene is probably not going to last that much longer.

20,000 dead Romans is nothing to sniff at, so a pretty decent start (if we can say anything based on a single encounter).

Shame that all those civil wars didn't lead to more lasting damage, but I'd like to think it might have cost the Egyptians and Romans some much-needed money and manpower.

All set for the next update, with more relentless onslaughts by the Romans...

20,000 dead Romans is nothing to sniff at, so a pretty decent start (if we can say anything based on a single encounter).

Shame that all those civil wars didn't lead to more lasting damage, but I'd like to think it might have cost the Egyptians and Romans some much-needed money and manpower.

All set for the next update, with more relentless onslaughts by the Romans...

It is unfortunate that the Romans have as large armies and as much manpower as they do. It is difficult to do much damage before they actually get their few good and decent generals to the fight.

just been catching up ... you have continued a very elegant dance between all these huge powers who wish you ill.

Pity that those recent civil wars didn't deliver much you could snaffle, but at least it should relieve the pressure

One can always hope.

Those Romans

The war starts off well. The fact that the Roman generals we face are incompetent certainly helps. Lots of Romans dies, one Roman navy is sunk but after almost two years of war the good Roman generals arrive with their armies and things start to even out. After some initial even battles the Romans throw everything they have at my army (led by my king, he is a fairly good general) in Theveste. I win but not without losses.

2wrduoo.jpg

I retreat to my own territory but the Romans keep coming so after a few months I pay them 100 gold for peace. What follows is a few years of peace, I construct more ships for my navy and plan to raise another army as soon as my current armies have actually recovered. Four years after the war ended the Romans suffer through a civil war.

vgse4z.jpg

As civil war rages in Rome, Macedonia is, as always, beaten up by Pontus and Egypt. As we near the year 680 AUC the remnants of Macedonia tries to repeatedly get us to enter an alliance. I obviously refuse each time. So how does the world look by then?

xn876r.jpg

Egypt is bigger and Macedonia is smaller. The Parthians are still occupying the eastern Seleucid province. The Roman rebels only hold Sardinia and will soon be defeated unless something truly unexpected happens. As suspected Corduene didn't last very long and are now gone. There is also a civil war in the Bosporan Kingdom.

The Romans threw an army at you of 120,000 men (versus your 32,000) and they still didn't win? Good god, that's pretty atrocious. But half your army dead means it effectively is still a loss for you.

The blobs keep growing around you - it's a bit depressing, knowing that the pattern is pretty much set (war with Rome or Egypt, every few years) and your opponents keep getting stronger. If I were you, I'd be looking for a way to bequeath my kingdom to the Romans after my ruler's death, Pergamom-style. Thankfully, you're not me. :)

The Romans threw an army at you of 120,000 men (versus your 32,000) and they still didn't win? Good god, that's pretty atrocious. But half your army dead means it effectively is still a loss for you.

The blobs keep growing around you - it's a bit depressing, knowing that the pattern is pretty much set (war with Rome or Egypt, every few years) and your opponents keep getting stronger. If I were you, I'd be looking for a way to bequeath my kingdom to the Romans after my ruler's death, Pergamom-style. Thankfully, you're not me. :)

One can always hope that things will be better. Hopefully it doesn't get worse.

win battle, pay 100g, seems to be the pattern of these wars.

There does seem to be a definite pattern there I agree.

Hi, I was just browsing this forum out of curiosity. Please carry on playing, it is cool to see how Rome played.

Glad you enjoy it. And worry not the next update is coming soon, very soon.

The Final Decades

Considering how things looked I decided to actually play more then a decade before posting a new update, after all seeing an update looking almost exactly like the previous one isn't going to be that exciting. Well my sessions still have the same length but I played all the way to the end before writing the update you are now reading. So how did these final decades go?

Well the first one looked grim. While the Romans finally attacked Macedonia (and won, although that should not come as a surprise) the Egyptians decided to in the year 687 AUC to attack Cyrenaica. Fierce fighting ensued and after a few months the Romans also attacked. While I did eventually manage to pay them off, as the war ended in 691 AUC Cyrenaica was in shambles, one army lost, the others in a really bad shape and no manpower. Things were truly looking grim. As for the world in 691 AUC in addition to the reduction of Macedonia the Romans had also established a foothold in Britain.

nn8pyx.jpg

Ameinias died the next year leaving his second son, the 36 year old Agathocles, a shrewd, intelligent, just but also gluttonous man that had been wounded in the previous war that knew how to get things done although wasn't regarded as very charismatic (martial 6, finesse 7 and charisma 1) as the new king. And then in 693 AUC a great thing happened. At a first glance it might not have seemed important, Pontus declared war on Macedonia. However Macedonia was at this time allied with Rome, having been made a client in their war, so as Pontus called in their Egyptian allies the Macedonians did the same. Rome and Egypt was at war.

As the decade ended it had been a bloody war with still no end sight. Cyrenaica had recovered while the Roman and Egyptian armies had been reduced to a fraction of their former size (from 500% or so larger than the Cyrenaican armies to only around 20-30% bigger) and their manpower reserves had been depleted.

2rlywea.jpg

Cyrenaica declares war on Egypt. While the Egyptian armies aren't a real threat being off fighting Rome, their Armenian allies are not involved in that war so are free to send their fairly large armies to Egypt. It is not enough and the first war ends after only one year with the Cyrenaica province once again part of Cyrenaica as it should be. In the years of peace that follows Aqueducts are constructed but almost as soon as the truce ends war is once again declared on Egypt. This time the goal is to force them to give up all claims on my provinces. They put up more of a fight, but after the Armenians head home and the Egyptian army sent against me is running desperately away while most of Egypt proper is either besieged or already occupied they agree to my demands. So in the year 710 AUC things are certainly looking better.

33k9etc.jpg

An army is once again trained in Greece, I decide that the next goal will be the liberation of it from Egyptian oppression. An oppurtunity to do something in that direction arises as the Egyptians are thrown into a civil war.

1z6tz5t.jpg

A few months later the Romans also have to deal with the same thing.

10xt3bb.jpg

They sign peace with each other with Rome paying 20 gold but war still rages against and between the rebels. The Egyptian rebels manage to take control of Greece so I decide to attack them. In the end I only get Argolis (and Egypt once again will have a casus belli) which is decent enough as attacking into a civil war is always risky (as the side you are not at war with may simply march into a rebel-owned province you control and take it). Meanwhile the Romans took Olbia and Alazones from the Egyptian rebels. As the decade ends the Egyptians have their civil war under control, while in Rome the rebels are winning.

jhxxzl.jpg

In fact in october that year Imperator Gaius Fabius Pictor is the ruler of Rome and one of the most important men in the world. The Egyptians end their civil war the next year in the expected manner (the rebels defeated). And Agathocles dies leaving his oldest son Ariston a foolish and selfish lustful 41 year old glutton with limited charisma (4) almost no finesse (1) but who is a good military leader (9) as the new king.

The following years are peaceful for Cyrenaica, as both Egypt in Rome have seemingly their military in good strength after their civil war (of course it possible it may be large numbers of militia, but how much is proper heavy infantry raised by various people in the civil wars as well as how much of the original armies have recovered I do not know, I do know their armies are once again much larger then mine). But that does not prevent troubles as the Egyptian governor in Asia declares his independence and gets away with it (only ceding Phrygia in exchange for peace) while in Rome Carthage resurfaces, well I say Carthage although it mostly consists of Numidia although that war was still ongoing as the game ends in february 727 AUC (due to the patch that allows the enddate to be changed, it ties it with the date in definces that was originally only the last date you could start, not that playing four years less matters that much).

107uzyr.jpg

So in the end Cyrenaica survived. It did fairly well all things considered although I expect a better (or maybe just a more aggressive) player might have been able to conquer a lot more. A little surprised at the Seleucids surviving all the way to the end, those two disconnected provinces really helped out as no one managed to finish them off (although at the end they are completely occupied (Egypt in Antioch and Armenia in the east, the Parthians eventually decided to just take some money) and have massive debt). Good for Rhodes at surviving as well. And the british tribes, although the fact that Rome ended up more or less constantly occupied by other matters after having established their foothold in Britain was probably the most important reason.

14teu0.jpg

And my rulers with the stats they had at their time of death (except the second Ariston him still being alive as the game ended). Had three Ameinias and two Aristons (had a few more potential Ariston II but they all died before they got their chance). I hope you all enjoyed this as it is now at its end.

You survived until the very end! I did not expect that, so well done indeed! Not only are you still alive, you managed to expand Cyrenaica. Granted, you're squished between two Uberblobs, but you were never in a position to directly challenge either Egypt or the Romans, so the fact that you were able to keep them out of Cyrenaica (for the most part) and in the end even were able to backstab Egypt a few times (glory!) is very impressive.

Must say, that Roman Empire is scary, but seeing Egypt stretching all the way to southern Poland... That's just one of those "Really?" moments. I'd like to imagine Cleopatra visiting her summer palace in beautiful Krakow. ;)

Thanks for the AAR and thanks for seeing it through to the very end - there were many times that I would simply have thrown in the towel.

There's not a lot happening in the Rome AAR forum anymore, so this might be the last AAR finished, but if that's the case, then it's going out on a high note.

Hey, you to got Cyrenaica back before the end, as it should be indeed. Oh, would central Europe have turned into a bloodbath if the game had gone on. The logistics of some of these countries (Macedonia and Seleucia especially, but also the recent Roman acquisitions in the Black Sea) must be the stuff of nightmares. On the other hand, your borders look really nice.

Being a relatively small country trapped between giants provides for both an exciting challenge and an interesting narrative. You managed well such a complex country and kept the AAR very entertaining. This has been a nice ride :)

Well done! I've greatly enjoyed this AAR, and I'm glad you survived!

Congratulations on a fine AAR! Sorry I didn't comment more, but I fear I must admit that I had little idea of what was going on most of the time. ;) In any case, well done, and I'm looking forward to seeing more AARs from you.