• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Fire and Ash

Lt. General
105 Badges
Dec 4, 2009
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Gettysburg
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • East India Company Collection
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
This will be an unhistorical AAR as Afghanistan. This will by my first AAR in Viky 2 and I will be telling the tale of Afghanistan rise to power in Victorian Age, from an uncivilised nation to a leading nation in technology and culture. The challenges the nations faces and the events that make it what it is today.

This AAR is also apart of Alexspeed's contest and I hope you all enjoy it. Without anything further I give to you...

“Better to send 5 lions than 500 sheep.”
300px-Flag_of_Afghanistan_%281919-1928%29.svg.png

An Afghanistan AAR

Prologue.

200px-Ahmad-Shah-Durani.jpeg

Ahmad Shan Durrani

The Durrani Dynasty. The first dynasty to unite the whole of Afghanistan. It was a proud a moment in history. The tribes were united for the first time since the days of Mongol Invasion. This unification of Afghanistan hadn’t been without obstacle though. For years the tribes were leaderless after the death of King Nadir Shan. His death had shattered the fragile peace between the tribes. Infighting, murder and betrayal were a daily occurrence throughout the land. In this time of fear and division a man, once of Nadir’s Army, one of his most loyal officers, known as Ahmad Shan Durrani rose to power. The four thousand strong warriors loyal only to him made him a force to be reckoned with so much that when a call came out for a Grand Amassing of Tribal Leaders to decide the new leader of Afghanistan. His action during the war were nothing short of heroic , his seizing of a Indian convoy laden with riches made him wealthy and the command of over four thousand of the finest warriors in Afghanistan, it was not difficult to foresee the outcome of the vote. Following his rise to King he had immediately set out in a series of campaigns to reconquer and unite Afghanistan. Within a year of his ascension he crossed the Indus River and forced the Mughal Ruler to cede huge amounts of territory with relatively small amount of fighting. With the last barrier from gem and riches filled India removed, Ahmad began a series of invasions attacking such great cities as Deli, Arga and Mathura. Like all days of glory though an end must come.

766px-The_Third_battle_of_Panipat_13_January_1761.jpg

The Third Battle of Panipat

The Beginning of the End of Ahmad’s days of conquest came with the rise of the Maratha Confederacy. With the greatly diminished Mughal empire grip on India failing, the Martha Confederacy strived to take its place. Ahmad would not let their rise go unchecked. Raising an army of Pashtun Tribesman he marched on the Martha Confederacy, plundering towns and attacking garrisons that stood in the way. After months the Martha Confederacy raised their own army of 70,000 men and prepared to face Ahmad at Panipat. The Third Battle of Panipat as it would later be known lasted for several days. In the end Ahmad emerged victorious. The Martha Confederacy’s power had been smashed; their army shattered, their treasury plundered and their European Trade allies abandoning them. The true effect of this defeat would only be known years later when the Martha Confederacy was finally put to an end by the British East India Company.

Kandahar_City_during_1839-42.jpg

Kandahar City, Capital of the Durrani Dynasty

For Ahmad it would be the highest point of his military power. Granted the right to rule independently without interference from the East India Company and all of Afghanistan’s Enemies shattered Afghanistan would enter a new age of peace. Ahmad spent the last of his years focusing on the daily running of his kingdom and only once needing to raise his sword again in the need to put down a Sikh Rebellion.

Since the years of Ahmad the empire has slowly fallen into decline. The British have betrayed their promise of independent sovereignty and now look set to expand their iron grasp on India. Closer to home former allies now look set to rip Afghanistan apart. A new era is upon us though. A new age of technology, of industry, of conquest. The Victorian Age is upon us Gentlemen. It is time to start redrawing the map of our world and of history!

Thank you for taking part in the contest and good luck!
I linked your thread in the contest list and will follow this AAR :)

Please note that you have to use my MIP Mod according to the rules of the contest,
so you will have to use ingame screenshots too at some point,
i just want to bring it to your attention in case you overlooked it in the rules. (i realize this is just the Prologue)

Looks like this will be a good character driven (?) AAR, i am really curious how well you will be able to do with a nation like Afghanistan :)
Thank you for taking part!

Last edited:
Wow, Fire & Ash! This looks to be a challenge.

Having written (and unfortunately never completed) a V1 AAR for Afghanistan (I think it was the only one), I can tell you it will be interesting even if you're not successful! :)

I played 2 games -- neither complete -- as Afghanistan in V1. The first one was remarkable in that I was able to actually get a White Peace from the UK and survived our first war by rampaging through India. The second game (the one the AAR was based on) I tried to avoid immediate conflict with the UK.

Curious to see what routes you take!

Rensslaer

@Alexspeed : I have already installed the mod on another copy of Vicky 2 and I should have my first update today at some point. My intention is to do this character driven or at least through a slightly biased historian. :p

@Rensslaer : Thanks, I've played a few games as Afghanistan SP and I thought it was time to do an AAR. I am very surprised to hear you managed to get a white victory from the UK!I avoid India like the plague, if I can take out Panjab before the British get it in their Sphere of Influence then I'll do it, but that's the most I want out of India. More often or not I end up at war with Russia and the Ottomans. Still every game I'm surprised as Afghanistan, so who knows what will happen in this one! :)

Great! I am sure this will be a blast :)

Oooh, this looks interesting - Afghanistan is another section of the world I would love to learn more about, and it looks like this aar is gonna have that in spades. Can't wait to see what this redrawing of maps shall entail...

From the South too the East: The Cries of War

V2_1.jpg

A Gathering of Learned Men

Kabul.jpg

My people. Often in the past, in the days of Ahmad Shan Durrani, he would gather the learned men on people in great meetings at the capital. There they would discuss matter of the kingdom as equal men. No man was above another in these times and even a king would be treated the same as the lowliest of village elder. It is a tradition that has long been forgotten by the rulers of the people and it is one that I have brought back to fulfil a purpose, to make our nation great again, like the days Ahmad Shan. For this to happen we can no longer afford to rely on old glories and riches. We have grown fat and stagnant while our former allies have forgotten the bonds we held dear and our enemies have returned stronger, filled with desire to see our nation reduced to ashes. Tradition has led me to this meeting, but I will follow that path no longer. It is time to forge out a new destiny for our people. One of industry and conquest, for that we can no longer rely on the traditions of our ancestors. We must turn to the West. We will not become them, but we will learn from them. We will master the technologies of industry and war that has made these Europeans rich and strong. To achieve this I have set out a plan of conquest and industry, it is for you, my people, Afghanistan’s people to determine that I will lead us down the right path.

Afghanistan at the height of its power.

Durrani_Empire_1747_AD.png

The Armies of Afghanistan.

V2_2.jpg

“Mahyar, Azar! It is good to see you both my friends. Come. Sit. Sit. How goes the meeting?”
“It has been enlightening.”
“To say the least. Ha!”
“Has Emir Khan revealed the purpose of this meeting? It was very surprising when I heard about, not since my grandfather’s time has one of these meetings taken place.”
“He has, but we have been sworn to secrecy until it is announced.”
“It seems some of your piers might not have though.”
“Hmm?”
“Rumours my friends. They spread through a city quicker than fire in a field at summer. They say that the Emir seeks to adopt the ideas of the west. He will seek to let traders act independently from the elders or government. A Freedom of trade as others are calling it.”
“If it is true then he will find no shortage of supporters from the merchants and traders.”
“No shortage of enemies from those who follow the traditions.”
“You see this is why I think these rumours are true because the only reason they would actually happen would be to remove the disadvantages of the other.”
“Now you speak in riddles.”
“The other rumour I have heard was that of a march to war. All our nation soldiers are being marched to the border of Kalat. I hear that we are set to reconquer the territory of our grandfathers. Keeping the fitful happy and the merchants pleased. I take it by you silence that this is true.”
“We are but sworn to secrecy brother.”
“Huh. Well then, I suppose it to that we shall have to drink to. As neither of you is willing to offer more.”

“Too secrets.”

Twenty Five days later war was declared by Afghanistan against Kalat. A War of Conquest.

The Cries of the South

V2_6.jpg

The armies of Afghanistan were split into two separate forces of almost equal size. Their task was to strike fast and overwhelm any resistance in numbers. Then when both the border regions garrisons were pacified the main bulk from both forces would move to the capital and cut the final blow.

The First Battle

V2_7.jpg

The first battle of the war was a resounding victory for the soldiers of Afghanistan. The battle began with an engagement of infantry on the hilly terrain of Quetta, using the Cavalry to outmanoeuvre the Kalat infantry. The effect of the Calvary was so great that out of an army of 15,000 warriors none escaped.

The Final Days

V2_8.jpg

The two largest armies from either group proceeded as planned and headed for Kalat for the Final battle.

V2_9.jpg

The battle was hard fought and without the synchronise arrival of both armies the casualty toll would have been much worse, the cavalry effectiveness reduced due to the mountainous terrain of the capital.

The End of The First War of The South.

V2_10.jpg

That October, seven months after the last of Kalat’s armies was shattered it accepted its defeat at the hands of Afghanistan. Its territories now Afghanistan’s by right of conquest. With the war over, Afghanistan’s Armies were sent home, their budget reduced by the treasury to deal with the debt that had built up to fund the war effort. Afghanistan was unprepared.

The War of The East Begins.

V2_11.jpg

Last edited:
Land Battles in Asia... :D

An interresting read, thank you for your update, i enjoyed it :)
I am curious how you will do against Panjab, they must have sensed weakness,
you will have to show them that they were wrong in their assumption.

The War Of the East

Afghan Armies scramble to meet the Invading Panjab Horde

V2_13.jpg

“Messenger!” The call of the messenger’s arrival echoed throughout the camp as he made his way to General Dost Mohammad’s command tent. The messenger arrived to join the throng of other officers and Tribal elders that made up the General’s staff.
“Message from the Emir Sir.” The messenger said offering a salute as he did so. The General nodded to the messenger before taking the message and dismissing him. The Staff continued to discuss the tactics and strategies of the coming war. If the rumours were true as many of them had stated them being, then the Panjab army would be split in two, one striking in Kalat and the other near the Capital. Both forces maybe too much for any of Afghanistan’s armies alone, but together they might be able to destroy them one by one. As the staff discussed the general read and as he read he started to understand that the plans they had been making here where not dissimilar to that of the plans in Kabul.

AfghanMountains.jpg

Afghanistan has always been blessed with a terrain that would break any enemy in the days of sword, arrows and cavalry. In the days of muskets it was a deadly advantage. The Emir has the same thoughts. The problem of this was that Panjabs aim in this war was the capture of the Kalat region. The same region that they had just won by the right of Afghan blood, the thought of it was enough to make his blood boil. By staying in the mountains they would hand victory to the Panjab. It was to his relief then that the message also included that Panjabs allies of Marakan and Tibet had refused to join them in their unjust war. His orders were to link up with the bulk of Afghans armies and to descend upon the enemy at Faizabad from the mountains of Kabul. That was not all the message told him though. The remainder of Panjabs forces, the largest body of their troops has been sighted heading for the former Kalat Capital. That the 9,000 warriors stationed in the Kalat would not be enough to hold such a host of enemy alone, even with the terrain as their advantage was a fact he did not relish. Neither did he place much fate in the citizens of that region to resist.
“General?”
“hmm.”
“Sir?”
“Tell the men to pack up camp. We march on the enemy at Faizabad.”

General Dost Mohammad Marches of Fazibad

V2_17.jpg

First Blood: The Battle of Faizabad

V2_18.jpg

The Battle of Faizabad is hard fought but the victory has been greater than imagined. Cavalry is highly prized by both all nations in the region. They are among the elite warriors that a nation can offer and Panjab has lost nearly all of them. While the victors are redeployed to link up with the army in the Kalat Region to prepare for a counter attack General Inayat Allah Khan takes over to push the advantage against the retreating troops, engaging them in the province of Jalalabad.

The Armies of Afghanistan led by Dost Mohammed and Yar Mohammed rush to Kalat

V2_20.jpg

The Rout Ends

V2_21.jpg

The Rout is finally finished with Afghan troops making their first invasion into Panjab territory. With only the elite warriors and the Panjab general left the battle is decided in a final cavalry charge led by the Panjab general himself. There are no survivors, but strangely the Generals body seems to be missing. With the a third of the Panjab military destroyed the war starts to shift into Afghanistan’s favour. With the Kalat province now under total Panjab control it comes to a surprise to the Afghan Generals that the civilians of that province have been fighting back. Out of the 22,000 army that arrived in Kalat only 15,000 remain. With the Panjab army preparing to move onto the province Quetta the Afghan armies head to intercept them while Panjab is weak.

V2_24.jpg

With Panjabs reckless decision to abandon the mountain terrain of Kalat, Afghanistan gains the advantage with nothing but flat land in the province they prepare to finish the war today.

V2_25.jpg

To the surprise of the Generals they find themselves facing the same Panjab General that led the charge at Peshawar. One of the officers on the Generals staff remarks that is like déjà vu. They reply telling him to stop making up words and focus on the battle.

Panjab Defeated

V2_26.jpg

The last of Panjabs standing armies are defeated at Quetta. With this in mind the Emir orders the splitting of his forces, the first to recapture the Kalat Capital and the second to chase the routed soldiers into Panjab. With the defeat of Panjabs forces the war looks set for a humiliating defeat for Panjab, until the 16th of August the traitorous Marakan agree to aid the Panjab dogs in the war. Afghanistan immediately responds by preparing the troops that are besieging Kalat to advance on the Marakan Capital Bela as soon as Kalat is freed. Meanwhile the Afghan warriors follow last of the Panjab seeking to strike the final blows of the war.

V2_29.jpg

With the war now totally in the favour of the Afghanistan even with the arrival Marakan to aid the Panjab it becomes a surprise to see the Sindh enter the equation allying themselves with Afghanistan their ancestors’ oppressors. It became an even deeper surprise when they choose to join the fighting as well. One can only assume that they could not stomach the thought of Panjab victory as much as the Afghans.

V2_31.jpg

The rout ended much like the previous, a slaughter and complete victory. Leaving the weaker of the two armies used to finish the rout to secure the province the other heads to Panjabs undefended capital. The province of Peshawar is captured soon after.

V2_34.jpg

With Kalat liberated, the victorious Sindh and Afghan army moves onto Marakan’s Capital. With victory within their grasp the Emir delivers his demands to the Panjab government.

V2_36.jpg

The Humiliation of Panjab

V2_42.jpg

Panjab! You are cowards and traitors. You attacked Afghanistan with no other reason than your greed. You had superior numbers, you had allies and you had the element of surprise. Victory would have been assured against any other nation and your arrogance in knowing this was your downfall. You were not invading any other country. You invaded Afghanistan. We are lions amongst sheep, we are heroes amongst men and we never back down. You thought the people of Kalat would welcome you with open arms as liberators while you hid the real reason of you war as one to conquer their lands, from their eyes. But they are not blind, they saw the truth and they rejected you. Their courage gave strength to ours and fear to yours. Your armies were shattered by the strength of our swords, our shields, our horses and our muskets. When you brought the Marakan against us we still stood strong and that was when the rest of the world knew you as the jackals you really are. Even the Sindh, one of our bitterest enemies stood with us in the face of your filth. You are beaten Panjab, your armies gone, your treasury plundered and your capital in flames. You are humiliated. Do not fight us again.

Last edited:
Thank you for the second chapter, glad you suceeded so formidably in the battles. :)

I love the speech to Panjab at the end; it's like battle poetry, very suiting for an Afghani AAR. Is it time for the Afghan people to rest and rebuild, or will ever more seek to claim Afghan land? Only time will tell. Great job, so far! :D

I agree the speech was a great read :)

Thanks Fire and Ash, i am also curious to see how you will go on with your Country.
I guess the next entry will lay the road to westernisation?