• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Milan23

Captain
40 Badges
Mar 15, 2016
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
I was reading an article on the Armenian genocide and it got me interested in this concept of 'Western Armenia' so after doing some browsing i was stunned to find out that massive swathes of Eastern Turkey were predominantly populated by Armenians yet this isn't represented in the game. Looking at a few maps I've come to the conclusion that in fact 5 provinces in the game that do not have Armenian as prime culture should do.

Armenian_presence_within_modern_Turkish_borders_in_early_1600s.png

Looking at this map the dark red areas were areas with an Armenian majority in the early 16th century. These would account to Sivas, Erzincan, Erzurum, Diyarbakir and Mush. I dont see the point in inclduing the enclave which is Marash.

Six_armenian_provinces.png

This map is of the Armenian Eyalets of the Ottoman Empire and further back up my point as they roughly are the provinces i have mentioned.

Frankly im not too sure the reason of ignoring the Armenians was. I understand that weren't many Armenians here but these regions were sparsely populated and the Armenians made up the majority of the population. Unfortunately there aren't many Armenians living in these areas present day due to the genocide which is maybe why they aren't represented in game. Now these provinces in the game would have Armenia as primary culture, coptic as relgion and Armenian core as well.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Upvote 0
yea, i agree. As i said, developers do this game more political, not historically. In eastern europe same troubles with Ruthenian(ukrainian), byelorusian(should dont exist, be same with ruthenian, or have another name), lithuanian, and latvian cultures. Majority cultures made by modern borders of countries.

We can strongly ignore the "ottoman tax records" in regard to turkish identity in anatolia . the ottomans would count populations based on the millet system ,and clasify populations based on religious and not lilguistic or ethnoligical data .

You could either be "muslim" and pay taxes or pay the blood tax that would mean sending your child to a military camp .Anyone with half a brain gets the optimal choice
The vast majority of anatolia at the time was slowly converting to islam .The byzantine nobility(both greek and armenian) changed to become muslim within the first generation ,and several areas became muslim ,without being linguistically turks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devşirme

pontus specifically was linguistically -ethnologically greek albeit bi-religious by the time of the pontic massacres , well into the 19th century .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontic_Greeks

based on ottoman millet system ,we can mistakenly count bosnians (muslim serbians) as turks , pomaks (muslim bulgarians ) as turks , cherkez ,laz and kurds as turks .

The term turkification , is used in any minority language previously under ottoman control even today .reading the article present a clear view of how ottomans ruled anatolia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkification

In game terms .

-pontus should be pontic greek ,albeit muslim in some areas .the same can be said for most areas in minor asia (to present the 2 stages of culture conversion ->religious assimilation -> ethnological assimilation )
It's a valid concern, however Ottoman tax census is the only reliable data we have. Everything else is informed guessing. I do believe, that at least some consideration should be given to the unreliability of equaling Muslim religion with Turkish cultture. Given the historical circumstances, number of Muslims is the upper limit for number of Turks, while number of non-Muslims is the lower limit of non-Turks.

Reactions:
Hmm. Do you have any sources about this? I just checked the 1530 Ottoman cadastral survey that I have a PDF of and it lists for Sinop sub-province 4220 Muslim households, 552 Christian, and 173 undefined (tax-exempt). For the whole Kastamonu province of which Sinop is a part it's 31,573 Muslim households, 661 Christian, and 5,660 undefined.
Maybe they could be Pontic yet Sunni, representing the province's majority conversion to Islam?

Reactions:
I would argue for Armenian Cilicia ( the highlands had clear Armenian majority till 1915). This could be a core for a Cilicia tag.

Regarding Assyrians yes they are deserving Urmia and parts of Cizre

Regarding Georgia, I would say that itt would be more accurately represented as idvided, having tags such as Abkhazia, Imereti/Mingrelia (possibly both), Svaneti, Kartli, Kakheti.
I would also be in favour of a Kartvelian culture group, including :
Abkhzian (in Abkhazia (or maybe grouped with Circassian?)
Mingrelian (western Georgia)
Svan (would only be in a newly carved out province of Svaneti)
Georgian - rest of Georgia
Laz (eastern part of Trebizond -Rize?)

Why? Why not... as we have all the funny French dialects (Gascon, Occitan and there even used to a third south french culture.. then why not?) They were there historically, traces of them are still there today.

Regarding Georgia, I would say that itt would be more accurately represented as idvided, having tags such as Abkhazia, Imereti/Mingrelia (possibly both), Svaneti, Kartli, Kakheti.

Why? Why not... as we have all the funny French dialects (Gascon, Occitan and there even used to a third south french culture.. then why not?) They were there historically, traces of them are still there today.
it looks shit for poor and small Georgia in comparison with France
imho

Georgia isn't large enough. One province cultures just dont work anymore with the new system

I don't think we sould split Georgian culture (except abkhazians). The new cultures in the caucasus I support are: Alanian, Abkhazian, Nakh and Tat.

20161027131130_1.jpg
20161027131130_1.jpg
20161027131137_1.jpg
20161027131143_1.jpg
20161027131206_1.jpg

Reactions:
You will likely be seeing some changes stemming from this thread in 1.19 :)

Yay! Always love some some devolpment in Balkans. Is posible that the Balkans and Korea will get some DHE in 1.19?

Reactions:
Just a bit more rant about the "turks" in anatolia at that timeline and the actual turkification of the area and the forming of the empire , i would like to present a national hero of turkey

hayreddin barbarossa ,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayreddin_Barbarossa

the son of Yakup Ağa, a converted Turk sipahi[2] of Albanian origin[1][3] from Giannitsa (Greece), and an Orthodox Christian, Greek woman from Mytilene (Lesbos).

so the son of a muslim convert albanian father,and a greek orthodox mother is a the 100% muslim turk anatolia representation in the game ....

In-game, Lesbos is part of Chios province... which starts the game Greek, Orthodox, and owned by Genoa.

(And the territory of modern Greece is Greek and Orthodox - and tends to stay both of those things when owned by computer Ottomans.)

In-game, Lesbos is part of Chios province... which starts the game Greek, Orthodox, and owned by Genoa.

(And the territory of modern Greece is Greek and Orthodox - and tends to stay both of those things when owned by computer Ottomans.)

I am not sure if you have followed the thread .At some point it was implied that ottoman millet records can be used to provide info on the population ratios in the otto provinces ,it has also been supposed that the turks did not do any forced conversions to alter the ethnological landscape in anatolia and thus they are correctly presented as 100% muslim turks

some areas in anatolia ,especially those where the 20th century massacres took place , such as armenian highlands ,armenian cilicia , assyrian turco-syrian border , pontic mountains and minor asian coastline are in my opinion missrepresented in cultural identity

The barbarossa example shows exactly this , the process of assimilation of the local populations in the empire ,to incorporate them through conversion to islam to the ottoman identity .considering the millet records barbarossa is a Turk . But if a non-ottoman state ruled those lands at that time ,he would not be a turk

the 20th century numbers are a bit more accurate and better recorded .There were about 2million armenians in ottoman empire prior to the massacres , around 1million concetrated in the armenian eyalets .the greeks who left anatolia in 1923 exchange amount to 900.000 and those of pontus another 250.000 .the muslim pontic population remained in the pontic mountains .another 150.000 remained in istanbul that was excluded from the exchange

this amounts to about 3,5 million non-muslim (assyrians and jews excluded ) population in the empire in 1900. the population of the empire after ww1 was about 12 million people . about 30% of the population in the area was non-muslim at the dawn of last century

out of the muslim population a great amount are kurds

unless the greeks and armenians ,magically flourished in between massacres ,conversions and assimilations similar to barbarossa ,then we can safely assume anatolia is not 100% muslim turks in 1440

Reactions:
I am not sure if you have followed the thread .At some point it was implied that ottoman millet records can be used to provide info on the population ratios in the otto provinces ,it has also been supposed that the turks did not do any forced conversions to alter the ethnological landscape in anatolia and thus they are correctly presented as 100% muslim turks

some areas in anatolia ,especially those where the 20th century massacres took place , such as armenian highlands ,armenian cilicia , assyrian turco-syrian border , pontic mountains and minor asian coastline are in my opinion missrepresented in cultural identity

The barbarossa example shows exactly this , the process of assimilation of the local populations in the empire ,to incorporate them through conversion to islam to the ottoman identity .considering the millet records barbarossa is a Turk . But if a non-ottoman state ruled those lands at that time ,he would not be a turk

the 20th century numbers are a bit more accurate and better recorded .There were about 2million armenians in ottoman empire prior to the massacres , around 1million concetrated in the armenian eyalets .the greeks who left anatolia in 1923 exchange amount to 900.000 and those of pontus another 250.000 .the muslim pontic population remained in the pontic mountains .another 150.000 remained in istanbul that was excluded from the exchange

this amounts to about 3,5 million non-muslim (assyrians and jews excluded ) population in the empire in 1900. the population of the empire after ww1 was about 12 million people . about 30% of the population in the area was non-muslim at the dawn of last century

out of the muslim population a great amount are kurds

unless the greeks and armenians ,magically flourished in between massacres ,conversions and assimilations similar to barbarossa ,then we can safely assume anatolia is not 100% muslim turks in 1440
*sigh* Here we go folks, the ethnic nationalists have arrived.
Issue number 0: We are trying to assemble a culture map based on local majorities in different provinces, whereas you just brought ancestral ethnicity into this. By that logic, we might as well slap a Hittite label on Sivas and be done with this charade.

Issue number 1: Actually, Barbarossa is a perfect example of the devshirme system, which was indeed a blend of forced assimilation and slavery. Its purpose, however, was to staff the Ottoman army and governmental posts; its victims would almost exclusively show up in Istanbul, the remainder in other cities and whatever forts, and it would not for the most part affect the tax records or the cultural makeup for rural provinces. I'm not even sure they taxed the devshirme, considering they were already de facto slaves on government payroll. Also, you can't just say the devshirme and their descendants count as one of the minorities (nor can you say they count as Turkish, for that matter), what with culture and racial origin not being the same bloody thing.

That is not to say assimilation and massacres did not otherwise occur in the Empire, but for the most part those happened during conquests and revolts, the former mostly predates and the latter mostly postdates the 1444 start date we are trying to establish population figures for. That last sentence segues almost perfectly into:

Issue number 2: I'm certain all of us here acknowledge the horrors of the Armenian Genocide, and all the other disgusting massacres and the highly volatile inter-ethnic relations in the region starting in the early 19th century. If you haven't noticed, however, we happen to be talking about what those figures might be like in 1444. That's 350-450 years before what you are talking about. We've already elaborated on how and why these figures would have changed, let's start with immigration (both in and out of these provinces, both Armenian/Greek and later on Turkish immigrations to the east from the Balkans) and proceed to... oh right, ethnic violence and genocide, and let's finish on differing population growth between different ethnic groups.

It's interesting how you also gave different figures for different data while trying to come up with a number for the Ottoman minority population in the 1900s: In 1900, the Ottomans still had a significant portion of the Balkans under their control. Despite them losing that land afterwards, the 1914 censuses seem to show a population of 18m, and I'm assuming they were downplaying the minority population so by all rights the figure should be higher. Then there were 2 genocides and a World War, and a quarter of the population of the Ottoman Empire as a whole died during WW1. So no, you don't just get to draw up minority ratios by dividing the number of minorities in 1900 to the population AFTER WW1.

Issue number 3: We are in fact completely certain Anatolia was not even close to being 100% muslim and turkish in 1440. We can in fact be completely certain that it never was and never will be that. First of all, reminder, this is based on the majority/plurality population in any given province. As for your objection to using the Muslim demographics from the census data, we indeed don't have any indication of what the Kurdish/Turkish ratio was in which region all the way until the 20th century. If you wish to argue for Sivas being flipped to Kurdish, let's talk about that. On the other hand, it doesn't matter whether the Muslim numbers represent Turkish or Kurdish or Turkish+Kurdish, when we are trying to ascertain the population of Christians in the provinces. Did the Pontic Greeks eventually end up bi-religious by the 1900s, yes. Were they the majority outside of Trebizond, which for all intents and purposes was the Pontic equivalent of Cilicia in that it wasn't conquered until 1460, that is somewhat more doubtful.

Issue number 4: You can claim that the Ottoman tax records are unreliable (though certainly indicative), because they only counted households at the time. You can also claim that a portion of the population converted religions without being assimilated, I would however expect this to not have happened in significant enough numbers for a few centuries yet. I'm not sure about that, sources from any side is welcome on this. In fact, I'm having trouble finding any studies whatsoever on the ethnic composition of the Ottoman Empire before the 1800s, because that's when everyone started to pay attention. Also, I find it odd that the tax records are our only source, do we not have church records for the population figures for the Christians around this era? Someone should look into the Mormon archives. Anyway, what you really can't say, is that we can simply disregard our one source the Ottoman tax records as unreliable. One, do you really think an empire whose only concern with its outer territoires was that everyone paid their taxes, would be so easily fooled by people lying about what they ought to pay in taxes? People actually converting, sure, people trying to trick the government, not so much. Tax records are quite often the most accurately kept document in any governmental institution. Or do you really think the Ottomans wanted to downplay the number of the people it could extort for higher taxes, because somehow it knew in the 1500s that rampant nationalism would be a thing and people would check those records?

Things I agree with: Kocaeli should probably start with a Byz core, if Paradox is actually considering giving Byz any cores, Sivas could be Kurdish, and we should look into the tax data for Cilicia around these times. Cilicia being conquered by Timur with lots of tribal incursions into the region, and reports of an Armenian exodus from the region with unspecified numbers, make me think that it could have been either way in 1444. What should be noted is that by 1900, the number of Armenians in northern Cilica was 40% according to European (so probably not biased towards the Turks) sources, and considerably lesser in the rest of the province. So yes, the Armenian population extending up to Erzincan seems to be the most likely analysis.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I ve heard the argument that Smyrna region should not be Greek as to because well the localo Greeks were killed because of Timur and then came Aydin and Saruhan Turks, and the 19th century population came there because of migration from the Aegaen isdlands. However same cannot be said about Cilica. We know that in Crusader times it was majority Armenian (or at least plurality)b and in the 1900s it still retained its Armenian character. So... if anyone says the Armenians disappeared and went on a long vacation, well it ought to provided with a good and trutworthy source.

Reactions:
I ve heard the argument that Smyrna region should not be Greek as to because well the localo Greeks were killed because of Timur and then came Aydin and Saruhan Turks, and the 19th century population came there because of migration from the Aegaen isdlands. However same cannot be said about Cilica. We know that in Crusader times it was majority Armenian (or at least plurality)b and in the 1900s it still retained its Armenian character. So... if anyone says the Armenians disappeared and went on a long vacation, well it ought to provided with a good and trutworthy source.
Yeah this was my argument for Greeks in Pontus where they were a majority in 14th century and in 19th century so it's silly to assume that they went on a 500year holiday in between therefore we can safely assume they were also a majority in between

Reactions:
Yeah this was my argument for Greeks in Pontus where they were a majority in 14th century and in 19th century so it's silly to assume that they went on a 500year holiday in between therefore we can safely assume they were also a majority in between

Poles were a majority in Silesia in the 10th century, and they're a majority in Silesia in the 21st century. What do you mean there were Germans there in 1500? Do you think the Poles just went on a 1,000-year holiday? :p

Reactions:

Or...history is complicated and things can shift over time. What a weird statement, especially since we know that the Ottoman Empire had a fairly fluid ethnic makeup that could move around as time went on.

Anyways, the whole "are Turks real" discussion is a bit pointless. The Ottoman Court described "Turk" as a pejorative term that they used as an insult. Servants of the sultans were not "Turks", especially by the 16th century AD. They were Ottoman Muslims. But presenting a non-national dynastic empire in such a way is complicated, in the same way it's difficult to portray that the Mamelukes were a ruling Turkish slave aristocracy. This is where culture breaks down, once we have empires unlike say, Austria and Russia, both of whom strongly identified with their core nationality (German and Russian respectively) to the end. But the Ottomans made it extremely clear that they did not want to be referred to as Turk; the European usage was disposed of in Ottoman history at about the same time Russian historians stopped using "Tatar".

• 1Like
Reactions: