• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
normal aggression is a friggin psycho man! weakling or coward is the only way to keep really weird things from happening ;)

Originally posted by Mad King James
normal aggression is a friggin psycho man! weakling or coward is the only way to keep really weird things from happening ;)

In 2.2 I'm not sure that the Mamlukes themselves were aggressive, but they diploannex a lot and were drawn into wars by their allies. I can see why Paradox made them Shi'ite, with them Sunni, too much is going on and there seems to be no easy way to change it.

I still don't know why Russia has never finished of Novogrod in my games - perhaps just strange luck. (In my latest a 2 province Novogrod won two provinces off of Russia! :eek: Since they now have a full city in the Caribbean, I guess they will stay around much longer. (It was a Swedish trade post - but how did a two province Novogrod win against Sweden?)

Originally posted by clb
In 2.2 I'm not sure that the Mamlukes themselves were aggressive, but they diploannex a lot and were drawn into wars by their allies. I can see why Paradox made them Shi'ite, with them Sunni, too much is going on and there seems to be no easy way to change it.

I still don't know why Russia has never finished of Novogrod in my games - perhaps just strange luck. (In my latest a 2 province Novogrod won two provinces off of Russia! :eek: Since they now have a full city in the Caribbean, I guess they will stay around much longer. (It was a Swedish trade post - but how did a two province Novogrod win against Sweden?)

What is Novgorod's techlevel, and what year is it? Even an orthodox-level country can get really scary if it survives long enough with small size, high innovativeness and a major CoT...

Originally posted by Onslaught
What is Novgorod's techlevel, and what year is it? Even an orthodox-level country can get really scary if it survives long enough with small size, high innovativeness and a major CoT...

Land tech 24

(GEN,VEN @ 26,
SWE,HOL @ 25,
6 others @ 24,
RUS @ 16)

(I am BYZ @ 18)

might explain Russia, but Sweden?

Ok, officially back now. I don't see enough reports posted to justify any kind of analysis, yet, but I'll run more of my own tests with that goal in mind.

Oh, one wierd thing I noticed (should probably cross-post this in the bug forum), having installed the AGC beta 2 twice: for me at least, I had to rename the desktop icon because there was a double-slash in the target (was pointing to ".../Europa Universalis 2/AGC//", renamed it to "../Europa Universalis 2/AGC/"). The game seemed to launch either way, but behaved badly until I renamed the target (i.e. lots of bizarre in-game situations occurring).

-Caliga

Re: Re: BETATESTING: Beta 2

Can you tell I was frantically packing for my overseas trip when I wrote that email? :) I knew that, of course (and as you can probably tell from my reports have never tested with 'tilly' on :) ).

Original post will be corrected. Thanks for catching that!

-Caliga

Originally posted by Korath
I believe you mean 'pappenheim' for the last - tilly prevents the AI from declaring war. :eek:

For Wierdness:

As Venice I was able to release:

TSRE.jpg

Which I the took control of and became:

TICRE.jpg

And later:

TISORE.jpg

(No editing of files required)

Perhaps the council of churches should have a religion trigger?

Probably. The Turkish-muslim thing is prolly because an Ottoman event auto-changes that province once they capture it. The Venetian release must have been after pulling the prov off the Turks.

They do start out greek and orthodox, as does the province. There's an option to go Catholic, then one to go back to Orthodox, which is probably how the changes in this game happened - Orthodox and Muslim religion countries can never convert at all except by event or between the two types of Muslim (by force only).

Originally posted by Sheridan
Probably. The Turkish-muslim thing is prolly because an Ottoman event auto-changes that province once they capture it. The Venetian release must have been after pulling the prov off the Turks.

They do start out greek and orthodox, as does the province. There's an option to go Catholic, then one to go back to Orthodox, which is probably how the changes in this game happened - Orthodox and Muslim religion countries can never convert at all except by event or between the two types of Muslim (by force only).

Exactly. This could be changed - can't you specify culture/religion for a revolter/possible vassal?

2.3, All Countries are Majors, HRE Independence Events, and Portuguese Culture (to see if it'll get the Spanish less interested in conquering them):

1453:
Europe
2.3-1453-Europe.jpg

Iberia:
Alas, nothing out of the ordinary. Castile declared two wars on Granada by 1429, taking Gibraltar in the first, but their allies Portugal beat them to the siege in Granada in the second. Sigh. Navarra DoW'd Aquitaine in 1429 (good!); their ally Aragon took Béarn in 1432 (bad!), and Navarra settled for cash in 1434. Aragon diploannexed them two weeks later.

England/France:
There was no separate peace in the HYW for a change; in 1422, England took Caux and Normandie for itself and gave Picardie to Burgundy.

France diplovassalized Scotland in 1423; England didn't like this at all, and after diploannexing Wales in 1429, DoW'd Scotland and reduced it to one province. Burgundy took Limousin (1433), Cévennes (1434), and Maine (1444) as part of the same war; in the first two cases, France diploannexed the remains soon after. Brittany DoW'd Provence again in 1448, and England force-annexed them and Scotland fairly quickly.

Scandinavia/HRE
The Union of Kalmar fell apart in 1429. Sigh.

Denmark diploannexed Holstein 1432, and started its traditional conquering spree. In start contrast to 2.2 and earlier, the North German alliance didn't fall apart, and Denmark was only able to annex Oldenburg.

Bohemia joined the Polish alliance after the Hussites took over; thus they now own Ryazan (since 1425) and Memel (since 1449), and thus the partition of Brandenburg with Poland (1444-1446).

Venice annexed Mantua in 1424.
Helvetia annexed Strassburg in 1432.
Savoy annexed Baden in 1432; it's currently controlled by rebels.
Venice annexed Mecklenburg in 1436, and granted independence in 1447.

Russia:
Muscowy quickly conquered Ryazan (1420) and Tver (1421), and DoW'd Pskov and their ally Novgorod. This was a bit too agressive; Lithuania (with Poland, Moldavia, Masovia, and Bohemia) joined the fun a week later, and Suzdal followed up in early 1422. Muscowy lost Vologda and Nizhgorod to Suzdal in 1424, Ryazan to Bohemia in 1425, and Tver to Novgorod in 1428. Suzdal declared war again in 1433 and annexed them in 1435; they DoW'd Novgorod immediately after and took Arkhangelsk in 1445. They're currently at war again.

The Horde lost Kazan to Suzdal in 1450; their government hasn't fallen yet.

Anatolia/Balkans:
The Romans DoW'd Aydin in 1421; the Turks annexed them in 1425, and their allies the Knights and Morea in 1428 and 1434 respectively.

Albania is currently at war with the Ottomans, who control Albania proper and Hellas. Taurus is Tunisian; Candar is still independent; the Ottomans bought peace from them for 200 ducats in 1449.

Last edited:
Asia
2.3-1453-Asia.jpg

China diplovassalized Korea in 1434 and annexed them in 1444.

The Timurids, in an alliance with the Kaliphate, the Chagatai Khanate, Bengal (!), and Delhi (!!), has been fighting wars in India since the 1420s; they currently own Gujarat. Baluchistan declared independence when their government fell for the first time in late 1452.

Haven't been paying attention elsewhere, but apart from an overlarge Bengal and Delhi, things aren't looking too unpleasant.

Africa
2.3-1453-Africa.jpg

Portugal has one 396-pop colony in Tassaret, the rest are level 1 trading posts.

Aden has again been plucking tp's from Oman; Al Kharam is a Chinese tp.

South America
2.3-1453-SAmerica.jpg

The Inca Empire's recently recovered from a civil war and still has two 40k armies sitting on the Chimú border; they have no less than three temporary CBs on them.

I just got up to 1453 with my first test run on the latest beta. So far, things look good. Here are a few oddities/observations to report:

1. Portuguese colonization: Whoever attempted to fix this has done a pretty good job. Although annoying colonies are still appearing in Brazil too early, in my current game there are only two TPs there. Finally, there are West African colonies and even a colony in Keren!?!

2. Byzantium: Although this is probably ahistorical, I like it so much I'm not going to complain too much--the Turks allied with Wallachia and I enjoyed watching Dracula conquer and annex Thrace in 1440 (seriously, I'll post a screenshot to prove it :) ). I
wonder how Constantine XI looked impaled on a big long stake... but seriously, what are the opening relations between the Wallachians and Turks?

3. Russia: I think Russia is too aggressive still; Ryazan was eliminated almost immediately, and Tver conquered Pskov. Also, in about 1430 all of Novgorod bar its trans-Urals and Vladimir (which it'd conquered in 1420) was picked up by Sweden. I though the problem of Novgorod being licked too fast had been phased out, but I've now seen it several times since beta 2.

4. Golden Horde: The Horde disintegrated nicely in the 1440s, but for some reason (and again, I've seen this several times now) Jedisan remained loyal. Is Jedisan set to go to Crimea when it forms and if not, is this by design? It's a little wierd to see such a far-flung province always retained.

All for now. Will probably run this game to 1500 and post a pair of screenshots.

-Caliga

Originally posted by Caliga
2. Byzantium: Although this is probably ahistorical, I like it so much I'm not going to complain too much--the Turks allied with Wallachia and I enjoyed watching Dracula conquer and annex Thrace in 1440 (seriously, I'll post a screenshot to prove it :) ). I
wonder how Constantine XI looked impaled on a big long stake... but seriously, what are the opening relations between the Wallachians and Turks?
They start vassalized and in alliance.

I've also seen the Turks' early ally Ragusa take Constantinople; this is troubling, and almost enough for me to start thinking that the Roman Empire should start with Morea again, with a capital move and province cession if the Ottomans control Thrace; perhaps an outright inheritance if the Romans have lost Morea by then but have >1 countrysize. Alternatively, I wonder if there are any more early leaders we can give to the Ottomans, to steal the siege...

With Ragusa, there was at least hope that the Ottomans would take the city back (since relations don't start so good, and they're not vassalized, they usually break the alliance fairly early), but Wallachia is pretty loyal.
3. Russia: I think Russia is too aggressive still; Ryazan was eliminated almost immediately, and Tver conquered Pskov. Also, in about 1430 all of Novgorod bar its trans-Urals and Vladimir (which it'd conquered in 1420) was picked up by Sweden. I though the problem of Novgorod being licked too fast had been phased out, but I've now seen it several times since beta 2.
Agree on aggression. Novgorod fought Sweden to a stalemate twice in my run.
4. Golden Horde: The Horde disintegrated nicely in the 1440s, but for some reason (and again, I've seen this several times now) Jedisan remained loyal. Is Jedisan set to go to Crimea when it forms and if not, is this by design? It's a little wierd to see such a far-flung province always retained.
Jedisan and Krementjug are both extra provinces for Crimea.

I have been playing a very interesting game as Bohemia.

There are swedes everywhere.

They have all but one province in ireland(eire); 4 provinces in the arabian peninsula; 1 in southern africa.

They have been fighting a many fronted battle against the following alliances; all at the same time
1 - Persia, Ottoman Empire, Brandenburg
2 - Mamelukes
3 - Russia
4 - Austria, Poland, Portual
4 - France
5 - Venice, Spain

All at the same time.

They are allied with norway and england. But still...

Brandenburg is allied with the Ottomans and persians.

The best is mecklemburg in an alliance with lanka, da viet and korea. A truly globe spanning alliance.

Yes, in two separate games I've seen the Swedes acquire provinces in Ireland, and in one I saw them annex Wales!

What would be the major consequences for making Ireland TI to Sweden at start? I'm sure to the Swedish monarch in 1419 Ireland was of little interest (yes, I know of the Viking conquest of Ireland and the Kingdom of Dublin, but that was hundreds of years before).

-Caliga

In generel Seden DOES seem somewhat overpowered ... or overaggressive.

They tend to grind down Novgorod and then later Russia, and take over the Baltics (the latter of course being quite within the 'OK-zone'). Then after this they take our Denmark (and Norway who in my games has a strange tendency to form from a Denmark that should be strong enough to keep down revolters).
During all of this they usually gobble up a few German minors and take a few provinces here and there.

The problem with Sweden becoming too strong too soon, is obviously the age old problem with Russia not being able to form as they did historically! I feel that Novgorod, Muscowy and Russia should be taken off Sweden's kill list, as those provinces (Novgorod in particular) seems to be what strengthens them to become a world super power a bit too early.

Maybe their aggression level should be lowered too - I don't know - but something must be done to make sure Sweden doesn't go nuts in Russia in every game ...

Hmmm... think I'll take a look at Sweden's AI when I get home tonite. Without knowing how it looks I'd want to keep (or add) at least a few north German minors to it, because that a) may keep pressure off the Russians, and b) is relatively historical. But yes, poor Novgorod would benefit greatly by not being on Sweden's kill list, and Muscovy indirectly benefits by therefore being able to take Novgorod for herself. :)

-Caliga

i've d/l'ed the latest patch. everything is fine except u omitted (or i might not have been clear enough about it) to remove the alliance between tibet and China.

also, can someone tell me whether china diplo vassalising and then diplo annexing korea occurs often.

Originally posted by Sun_Zi_36
i've d/l'ed the latest patch. everything is fine except u omitted (or i might not have been clear enough about it) to remove the alliance between tibet and China.
Er. You didn't say to remove it.
also, can someone tell me whether china diplo vassalising and then diplo annexing korea occurs often.
Three for three so far, always by 1450, usually earlier.