• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(42223)

Imperial Minister
Mar 28, 2005
This is for Risk Battle Mod Beta2 feedback and I start with a PM that can be here just fine. :)

Kanitatlan said:
Yukala,
I'm a bit puzzled by the reinforcement settings you have put in misc. These make it cheaper to build new units thanb reinforce existing ones (by some margin). Is this an intentional design decision or where you just trying to boost the resources commited to reinforcements? As it is I gain a significant advantage from keeping reinforcements on zero and letting divisions burn out. I don't want to start posting too openly about this sort of issue as it is a bit of a give away to any players.

I will try to post you some analysis tomorrow night in relation to units but it will take me a while to get into it all properly.

Kanitatlan

Yes it is very intentional. And there is however one thing that will cost the player plenty if they proceed with that thinking. Units with experience are also beefed up. A new unit even at high tech will get smashed by an old unit very experienced and often even against a unit with lower strength levels if it is very experienced.

Veteran troops are important enough to pay the price is scheme behind those settings. The only thing to consider I guess is if that is working. Got to watch combat, but that is how it was last I looked at it a while back.

Sometimes a string of changes can inadvertantly alter the what was first done. But I think it is all intact. Let me know. :D

And many thanks.

I will post this on the thread.
Thanks.

Some other considerations in this soup of build new units, repair old ones and upgrading units.

The AI's have set levels, yet I have discovered they too will bugger off repairing if they get desperate. But, as far as cost in resources to build units, that means almost nothing in Risk Battle Mod most of the time. The only true cost is money, supplies and MP. All the rest are plentiful.

If you turtle down and just build you will have too much IC generally and run out MP. Though it cost more to repair units, IF those units are veteran and in far off fronts (which can occur often) repairing is more desirable even when expensive. Often the army that keep up wins the most.

Also upgrading does not use MP, so here new units are way more expensive than upgrading old units which again are best if repaired.

Just some thoughts.

As well, in the Risk Mod World repairing units is expensive because it is reflective of Trade Guild monoply policy. As the wars go on, support dwindles and costs go up. In other words you are supposed to have won quickly well on the first round. The world is naive and impatient not nationalistic or idealistic.

Last edited:
hurricanehunter said:
Well, I got it working (I was making a very stupid mistake that was making it difficult to run) and loaded up my first game as Turkey. Lets just say after 4 months Turkey was no more, I got gangbanged by Greece, Russia, Persia, Romania, and Arabia. I love it.

:D
'Turkey' actually the Ottoman Empire, yet it is one my favorite plays. Though the survival rate there is pretty low... :rofl:

hurricanehunter said:
Now playing as Pacific Fire, only a month in but an entirely different feel. I may start an AAR if I am able to last more then 5 minutes.

:rofl:
If this helps, I have only seen Pacific Fire go down once. A lot higher odds than most land centric countries.

I just had to try it out Yukala. I have yet to finish my Scottish AAR (which I will in Beta1).

Would it be possible to rejig the colour so that the plains provinces are once again yellowish white. The greenish tinge has been a little offputting - but does in no way affect the game play.

I have play several months into a USA game. Am at war with Quebec and doing well. I like the idea of beefed up experienced troops. This will make me micromanage a bit more but I like micromanaging!

As time goes on I can see how this will lead to some interesting developments.

I have not at this stage encountered any problems attacking forts - but this is early days.

I am trying a strategy of trading for supply - this is maybe a cheesy exploit, I will let you know.

Also I don't know if it is just what is happening at the moment - but everyone is haveing trouble with oil. I actually think that this is a good thing. And maybe it could be worked in somehow that fuel users use copious amounts (maybe using less as techs improve) Watching my oil consumption eat away my reserves has been interesting.

therev said:
I just had to try it out Yukala. I have yet to finish my Scottish AAR (which I will in Beta1).

Would it be possible to rejig the colour so that the plains provinces are once again yellowish white. The greenish tinge has been a little offputting - but does in no way affect the game play.

I have play several months into a USA game. Am at war with Quebec and doing well. I like the idea of beefed up experienced troops. This will make me micromanage a bit more but I like micromanaging!

As time goes on I can see how this will lead to some interesting developments.

I have not at this stage encountered any problems attacking forts - but this is early days.

I am trying a strategy of trading for supply - this is maybe a cheesy exploit, I will let you know.

Also I don't know if it is just what is happening at the moment - but everyone is haveing trouble with oil. I actually think that this is a good thing. And maybe it could be worked in somehow that fuel users use copious amounts (maybe using less as techs improve) Watching my oil consumption eat away my reserves has been interesting.

There is less oil for some now and more need for it.
AI fort building up to level TEN will not occur in high numbers until about the third year ongoing. But it is rigged to be a widespread pasttime. So beware leaving AI's that are strong and too nearby alone for too long much past the third year.

Your on your own with colors, look in the file colorscales.csv in the map folder. I changed many of them at their base, not just shifting them around.

hurricanehunter said:
I noticed, in my first game it looked like Tibet was a seperate country. (In fact, Im sure it was. ) But in my last two it has been a part of commie china. (Which I really liked better the old color, but no big.) Why? Oh, and I am refering to the very start of the game here.

:D
Sounds like you are getting along mastering the beginning of the game quite nicely. :eek:

Tibet and Kazakia are subject to abrupt take-overs. Kazakia partially by Mongal Empire and the rest of maybe or sometimes all of it by Russia.

Tibet can be had by the three Chinas, they take turns. Yet 1/4 of the time Tibet goes it alone, same odds with Kazakia going it alone.

This nicely varies the game in Asia. It really is not always such an advantage to annex anyone that fast as it simply exposes one to more immediate neighbors/thus enemies and often as not spells doom or a blessing to the annexer. This again adds to the different paths each game takes.

Just an update - It is 1936 and the USA is in an alliance with AH, Flanders, Japan and a set of piddly 1-5 province wannabes. We are against the rest of the world. I have taken over all of the Americas! and am now waist deep in the swamps of Siberia.

An observation...

I think there ought to be a land bridge between the Islands north of Japan to the Peninsula (I can't remember their names - I will have to look them up later) It would make sense as both the Peninsula and the Islands are Pacific Fire I think.

As to gameplay - the new version has not crashed - but has been heavy on calculating juice. Once I cleaned up the Americas, things sped up once more.

If you could somehow make a connection between Europe/Africa and the Americas it would make for some fascinating twists.

My only concern with the continent spanning landbri\dges is that you can actually (being careful) conquer the world without a navy or naval Doctrines or TPs.

I am against continent bridges, it would make navy pretty useless. Of course you can block the straits but airpower will make short work of ships foolish enough to stay in one place for long time.

Hi guys!!

Nice to hear about stability ! :D
Especially through 1936.

There are land-bridges across the North Pacific, by way of the Aleutian Islands and then down south to Japan and up up across with Japan to Manchuria.

And there are land bridges across the Pacific center back and forth tying right to Tokyo all the way across to Hawaii and back to Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Philoppines, Empire of Siam.

I did cut the ones going from Taiwan to Philoppines and Japan though.

There are none tying either South America to Africa or North America to Europe as in the classic Risk game, which is the theme. The actual reason they do not exist is I am concerned about stability, such crossings coupled like with Taiwan heavy AI and possibly human activity in the area is CTD risky. Now I suspect this may not be true for South America to Africa.

What you both think of joining South America to Africa?

Again many thanks for all feedback. :D

Another reason for those land bridges in the Pacific is to keep Pacific Fire's MP intact. During war MP moves back to capitol only via a land connection of some kind that is under ones control.

Last edited:
therev said:
Just an update - It is 1936 and the USA is in an alliance with AH, Flanders, Japan and a set of piddly 1-5 province wannabes. We are against the rest of the world. I have taken over all of the Americas! and am now waist deep in the swamps of Siberia.

So what do you think of entering the alliance phase at that time in the game?

Yukala said:
So what do you think of entering the alliance phase at that time in the game?
It was ally or die.

In the game I have a healthy 900+ IC but was closely followed by AH with 750+ and then several others with 350+. The Mongols were in my way and I DoWed them, discovering thast they were involved in an alliance with India worth 800+IC between them with assorted hangers on.

It certainly notched game play up a level. Also produced a rush in tech development that was very exciting.

Plymouth -> Brest land bridge is apparently blocked by the Gulf of Taranto, neighbouring bridges are blocked by the western English channel.

Remainder of UK/Eire checked and no other errors.
Also checked all Baltic and north sea links - no other errors found.

Last edited:
What you could do is make an impassible land bride that will make the AI DOW across it but would still require a navy. MP and resources might be able to pass through but I doubt it. It would make the AI DOW people that they have to land amphibiously on but I'm not sure if that is good or bad. You could also do that with Iceland in case one power takes all of it there would still be an impassible connection.

GeneralHannibal said:
What you could do is make an impassible land bride that will make the AI DOW across it but would still require a navy. MP and resources might be able to pass through but I doubt it. It would make the AI DOW people that they have to land amphibiously on but I'm not sure if that is good or bad. You could also do that with Iceland in case one power takes all of it there would still be an impassible connection.

An interesting idea, will check to see if it works, if so, my, my what possibilities... :D

Kanitatlan said:
Plymouth -> Brest land bridge is apparently blocked by the Gulf of Taranto, neighbouring bridges are blocked by the western English channel.

Will check,

Thanks, :)