• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(7398)

Lt. General
Jan 21, 2002
mozart.atpnet.com
For reference, here is the Beta 1 bugs/suggestion thread.

Typos and grammar errors are appropriate here; suggestions generally are not - please place them in the appropriate development threads. (And yes, I'm guilty of this myself.) Also, if you submitted something and it's not in even as a default option (and I didn't specifically discuss it with you already, though this affects only one person), this is also worthy of a bug report, since it was entirely unintentional on my part.

Please list any nondefault configurator settings when posting a bug. For the most part, they can be found by looking at the history list in a save game and listing out all the events between 100000 and 100999, but you'll have to remember the setting for Random Events on your own (if it wasn't off entirely). A list of correspondences between these numbers and symbolic names can be found in agc\cfg\scenarios\agc1419.inc; however, just listing the numbers is fine.

Latest Bugfix Release: 2.3
Self-extracting Rar file (483k)
All previous patches are included. Extract directly into your EU2 directory. For those who rightfully dislike running strange exe files downloaded from the net, the contents may be extracted with Rar version 2.90 or higher.

It may be possible to continue games started with 2.1 or later with the new bugfix version, but only if you rerun the configurator (using the same settings as you used to start the game).

Legend:

Stars: Severity
**: Critical.
*: Normal.
(none): Trivial.

Letter: Category
T: Technical (Game)
C: Technical (Config)
G: Game Balance/Historical
D: Documentation

Text: Current status
Blue: Not a bug. (But likely to be mentioned again.)
Purple: Resolved in the latest beta.
Sky Blue: Resolved in the latest bugfix release.
Green: Fixed for the next full beta.
Yellow: Fixed for the next bugfix release.
White: Unresolved.
Coral: Can't be fixed without changing province.csv
Red: Can't/won't fix on my own. Heeelp!

Currently known bugs:

*C 1. Saving in the configurator's too slow (mostly the fault of the culture options, which require changes to text.csv), and there's no feedback.
*D 2. Configurator helps should say why the option can go either way, not (just) what it does in game terms.
*G 3. Many config options currently exist only to provide reversion capability, and should eventually be decided one way or the other and the option removed.
*C 4. Choosing too many CoTs (exact number unknown, somewhere under the mid-40s) causes early CTDs. Might be dependant on which ones are chosen. Choosing more than 55 or so causes rampant display errors. The configurator should give a warning if too many are selected as soon as we're sure exactly how many is too many.
*G 5. Many countries funnel their trade through the wrong CoTs with the default setup; this is most severely a problem in North America, though moving Ivoria inland to Timbuktu is problematic also. It is the country that owns the provinces that must know where the CoT is; we need to track down all the changes that need to be made so that things work properly for all remotely reasonable choices of CoTs.

*D 6. The documentation is woefully lacking. In particular, there's no version change list yet; I do have this information, though, and just need to put it in a readable form.
*G 7. Changes in native populations with the Siberian Natives option (and also in Taiwan) aren't really functional - the population grows until it reaches the default given in province.csv.
*G 8. No natives appear in Al Kharam.
**G 9. Crucial leaders and events are lost if Aragon - or anyone else - annexes Castile before the scripted inheritance in 1516.
*G 10. The Treaty of Tordesillas happens way too late (historically, it was in 1494). Can't fix unless Spain happens earlier.

*G 11. Karaman should have an event that changes it into the Ottoman Empire, instead of its current haphazard scattering of duplicate Ottoman events.
**G 12. Hungarian inheritance is still screwy.
*T 13. Burgundian inheritance, especially if the Zealous Independence option is turned on, can cause a CTD if Austria inherits and no provinces are left for them after everything's ceded/independenced away. Maybe have a second version that fires instead and forces France to inherit if nothing would be left for Austria.
G 14. There should be an option to give Istria back to Venice despite the "it's who owned the city" policy, as well as their 1.05 CB shields.
G 15. Mongol culture's all but disappeared, eagh. It only exists in Jehol province, and as a state culture only of the Golden Horde, the Chagatai Khanate, and the Timurid Empire.

*G 16. Burgundy tends to get too good a peace deal from France in the initial HYW, and does too well in general. Later development may be somewhat improved with the fixing of bug #40.
**G 17. Spain never conquers the Aztecs. Until the engine ai (and conquistador bug!) is fixed, this should be event-driven.
T 18. The Masovian flag needs to be redone; it doesn't flop at all.
G 19. Johore's capital is moved back to Malacca if Far East: Political Setup is enabled - it should almost certainly remain in Johor regardless, to make it (remotely) possible for Portugal to capture Malacca as it did historically.
T 20. AGC_Inca_Empire.eue has multiple provincereligion changes to -1, including some aimed at random provinces. Does this work correctly? Should they instead be conversions?

*G 21. Polish/German Culture Shifts: The German side of events should trigger for more countries per province.
*T 22. Setting Random Events to None is reasonably likely to cause rampant crashes, and needs testing.
**G 23. The Teutonic Order/Prussia situation is incorrect and needs to be reevaluated. (Beta 1 had Danzig/Memel/Prussia owned by both the TO and Prussia; I made a snap judgement call and made PRU independent at start rather than incorporating it into the TO.)
*D 24. The new configurator features aren't documented.
C 25. The configurator can start larger than the screen size if you're running under 1024x768, though at least it can be resized ok.

*C 26. The About button in the configurator should display credits for the entire project (as in doc/credits.txt), not just the configurator :eek:
**T 27. Poland's initial army in Mazovia isn't removed if the Duchy of Masovia is enabled, causing an ID conflict.
*G 28. There's no provision for Ukraine to get Ukrainian culture (if Poland-Lithuania: Cultural/Religious Setup is enabled).
*C 29. A number of countries aren't selectable, since they can be turned off entirely with certain configurator settings - Masovia (PRM) due to Duchy of Masovia; Lanka (U05) due to Colonizeable India; and Butung (U03), Jambi (U15), Kutei (U13), Luwu (U02), Magindanao (U07), Maynilad (U06), Ternate (U01) due to Colonizeable Indonesia.
**T 30. The first installer link posted was infected by a Klez variant, and the agc_config.exe within corrupt.

*G 31. The Iskander Bey/Skanderbeg leaders and his events are confused, causing him to be in two places at once.
G 32. Masovia can revolt even if its option isn't selected. (Perhaps harmless; its sole event causing an inheritance by Poland isn't enabled in this case.)
*T 33. Changed terrain has the correct color, but still has the old graphics displayed. Visible in at least Novgorod, Lao Cai, Cambodia, Bangkok, Tchekunda, Liaoning, and Shaanxi.
**T 34. Province 281 (Polotsk) is owned and controlled by both Lithuania and the Teutonic Order if "Poland-Lithuania: Political/Diplomatic Setup" is enabled. Furthermore, Teutonic_Order_1419.inc has city entries for provinces 281 (Polotsk), 289 (Memel), 290 (Prussia), and 301 (Danzig), which causes eventual CtDs and corrupted saves after these provinces change hands.
*T 35. The new Novgorod/Pskov events from the Poland-Lithuania submission can't fire unless "Russia: Novgorod Can't Form Russia" is disabled.

*C 36. The configurator should be able to remember its settings from invocation to invocation, have an "AGC Default" button, and possibly be able to load and save configurations.
D 37. Most files use the Unix end-of-line convention, which doesn't seem to cause problems for the game, but makes them look strange in Notepad.
G 38. Krementjug should be Tatar culture, not Turkish, if both "Russia: Golden Horde Setup" and "Russia: Tatar Culture" are enabled.
*G 39. The capital of Livland should be Riga, the capital of Kurland should be Mittau, and a new default CoT should be created in Latvia (taking Kurland's default spot).
*T 40. Events Burgundy3894 and Hainaut80003 have their deathdates labelled as dates, so they don't happen until (much) too late, and not at all if their triggers aren't valid at the first check.

G 41. Blanca I and Juan I both rise to the throne on Jan 1 1425 in Navarra.
**G 42. A random CoT, usually in Tangiers, pops up sometime by the early 1430s.
G 43. Brandenburg doesn't start with Lower German state culture.
G 44. Muscowy has no knowledge of Schwyz, Antalya, Taurus, Kastamonu, or the Coast of Rhodes, but does know the surrounding provinces.
G 45. The Henry V leader starts in Northumberland; he should be in Paris.

*T 46. Four of the "Aid to the Hungarians" events (Poland80602, Venice80603, Austria80604, PapalStates80605) are still broken - they have two action_b's.
**T 47. The Polish/German Culture Shifts events don't work properly (because the provinceculture trigger doesn't).
**G 48. China diploannexes most of the Far East by 1440.
*T 49. Oman events 21723 and 21726 ("The Fall of Hormouz and Mascate") are missing their trigger for Portugal21722, causing them to happen much too early. They also both misspell "strait" as "straight".
**T 50. The leader trigger seems to be checked only once per game load, breaking the inheritance of Burgundy. (Worked around: Independence Triggers at Charles' Death is disabled by default.)

*T 51. Five countries don't have their state culture properly updated when Far East: Culture Setup is enabled; all should be Malay. Currently Atjeh, Brunei, and Jambi are Indonesian instead, and Maynilad and Magindanao are Upper Burman(!).
*C 52. The configurator uses Evil Microsoft IE library functions to display jpgs, so doesn't work for those fortunate few who have managed to exorcise their Windows installations.
G 53. Tver should be a vassal of the Golden Horde at game start.
*T 54. It is impossible to join the Austria-Salzburg-Bavaria-Wurzburg-Palatinate-Milan alliance unless Austria has broken its other two starting alliances.
*G 55. French minors can have their capitals (and thus initial cultures) appear anywhere in France.

T 56. More than one version of Castille-becomes-Spain/Aragon-becomes-Spain/Persia-becomes-Shiite can fire under certain circumstances. This doesn't cause any real harm, but looks bad.
**T 57. The "Arabic plea to Sultan Selim" event, granting the Ottomans Arabic culture and CB shields on the Mamelukes, cannot fire.
**T 58. Nearly a third of the relation settings aren't properly matched in the other country's include file.
**G 59. The Portuguese AI doesn't explore the Straits of Zanzibar, which is required for the first "Commercial Conflict in the Indian Ocean" event to fire.
*T 60. Just like in the standard game, the province names for Sichuan, Xinjiang, Moscow, Azow, Zacatecas, and Kastamonu don't match the lettering on the map. (Any others?)

G 61. The Roman Empire should be Orthodox/Greek when released as a vassal even if the Ottomans have converted it.
*G 62. The Polish Inheritance of Masovia (20142) event can trigger independently for Poland even if Masovia doesn't exist or chooses not to be inherited.
*T 63. Various leaders are duplicated when Castile becomes Spain.

Last edited:
Category: Bug or Enhancement
Rather than returning to the default settings each time the configurator is started, saving a setup within the configurator should cause these settings to be set for subsequent executions of the configurator. The configurator should have a "Set AGC Default" button on the main screen to return the defaults (which would then need to be saved to be used).

I was about to get started on resolving bug 17. :)

You may be right about bug 20. It has been awhile since I wrote them. :eek:

I keep getting CtD's, which wouldn't be so bad, except that the games will not reload from either autosave file. Have had this happen twice (playing different countries, with different setups, but both roughly around 1455-70, not sure of precise dates). One was as playing France, and Burgundy had been conquered well before, so I don't think it's the Burgundy inheritance events.

Originally posted by Sheridan
I keep getting CtD's, which wouldn't be so bad, except that the games will not reload from either autosave file. Have had this happen twice (playing different countries, with different setups, but both roughly around 1455-70, not sure of precise dates). One was as playing France, and Burgundy had been conquered well before, so I don't think it's the Burgundy inheritance events.

I had 2 CtD's but it wasn't until the third in 1470 that I couldn't reload (it CtD'ed when loading the autosave). - I played as Russia ...

Originally posted by Truskar
Some of the event files look really messy dunno if they work like that for example agc_lithuania.eue.
It looks like the files don't have a return where needed.
Looks ok to me. If you're referring to the desc fields (which are the only lines in agc_lithuania.eue) that I see longer than 80 characters, this is in fact because there cannot be a return in these lines, or it'll show up in-game.

Originally posted by Peter Ebbesen
Category: Bug or Enhancement
Rather than returning to the default settings each time the configurator is started, saving a setup within the configurator should cause these settings to be set for subsequent executions of the configurator.
This is already noted in the (buried, unloved) AGC Config thread, but significant enough that I'll note it here lest I forget. :)
The configurator should have a "Set AGC Default" button on the main screen to return the defaults (which would then need to be saved to be used).
Relies, for the most part, on the same functionality.

Originally posted by Sheridan
I suspect this might be newly-posted bug 34, but to be sure:

If you and Sikker could each zip up one autosave with this problem and mail it to me, I'll take a look tonight.

Originally posted by Korath
Looks ok to me. If you're referring to the desc fields (which are the only lines in agc_lithuania.eue) that I see longer than 80 characters, this is in fact because there cannot be a return in these lines, or it'll show up in-game.
Nope, it is the standard Unix/DOS line-break disorder. Unix uses a line-feed character, whereas DOS requires a line-feed AND a carriage return character.

If you open agc_lithuania.eue in a Microsoft idiot program like notepad, it only understands the DOS terminology and prints small black boxes for line-feeds since it never gets a carriage return. (In other word, the entire file is printed as one long line with a lot of black boxes)

If you use anything slightly more advanced (even wordpad - wonder of wonders) it understands the commonly used line breaking upon receipt of a line-feed.

*sigh*

Why, oh, why, did Microsoft decide to go their way back when they created DOS - in places where an industry standard did already exist, and where their solution added *nothing*.

(Because DOS is a rip-off of CP/M, but don't tell anybody :D)

Originally posted by Sun_Zi_36
Treaty of Nerchinsk should be default?

nations in SE Asia not renamed? (or was that intended?)
I'd intended to PM you with the reasoning behind both of these, though I don't see it in my Sent folder. My apologies.

The nations were not renamed for two reasons - you included no historical descriptions to match the new countries (and less importantly, there's still presumeably existing events referring to them by the original names); and you'd mentioned that it didn't make much difference if it was done now or later.

The Treaty of Nerchinsk was disabled by default solely because I felt that the extra cessations done to insure that Russia and China know each others' capitals cause more problems than they fix (for example, if Russia's building troops or promoting a chief judge or what-have-you in Nizhgorod when the events fire, they'll be lost).

I do have a Clever Plan (tm) to determine whether options should be default or not, or in the game all the time with no option, but I need to talk with Havard about it first, and it's probably wiser to give it a few days to let the worst of the bugs be discovered and quashed first.

(As an aside, if you could comment on bug 19, I'd appreciate it.)

Last edited:
Originally posted by Peter Ebbesen
Nope, it is the standard Unix/DOS line-break disorder. Unix uses a line-feed character, whereas DOS requires a line-feed AND a carriage return character.
Oh. Frick. I'll go doublecheck whether it causes in-game problems; if not, I probably won't fix it until Beta 3 (since I suspect a majority of the files will be affected).

EDIT: It doesn't seem to, at least not in that case. I'll log the whole problem, though, so it won't be forgotten for the next full release.
Why, oh, why, did Microsoft decide to go their way back when they created DOS - in places where an industry standard did already exist, and where their solution added *nothing*.
Don't even get me started.

Last edited:
35. The new Novgorod/Pskov events from the Poland-Lithuania submission can't fire unless "Russia: Novgorod Can't Form Russia" is disabled.

Shouldn't the option be "Novgorod and Pskov can't form Russia"? Or are those two separate (one option for Pskov, one for Novgorod)?

I had a CTD in 1437 and my autosave (1430) couldn't be reloaded. It's IMO not bug 34 because LAT owns and controls province 281 and nobody else. If necessary I can Email this autosave.