• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
May 8, 2007
As far as I can tell the best way for England to win the 100 Years War is for it to-

1. capture only a handful of Northern Dauphine provinces.

2. keep Dauphine from occupying certain Dauphine territories.

3. ally with Burgundy.

4. give as much territory as possible to Burgundy.

5. inherit Burgundy.

Would you guys say this is right or is there a better strategy?

I don't think there's a way to inherit Burgundy (at least I haven't been able to find one). If there is, then the strategy would be about what you say. But I'll describe how I just did it and have done it more than once.

First, beat France (which is easy). But only take Normandie and Caux, because you'll have to cede the others to Burgundy by event. Once you're at peace with France, you'll get an event forcing a war with Dauphine. You want this to happen as soon as possible so that you can use Henry V. Give him a lot of cavalry and lure Dauphine's forces onto plains (like Orleans and Maine). You should be able to annihilate them in one or two battles, no matter how large their forces are.

Cover the mountainous provinces, and take the rest (enough to trigger the collapse event). Burgundy may or may not help you; it really doesn't matter. Once you've triggered the event, you'll be so powerful not even Burgundy can beat you, so you shouldn't even mind that they hate you (which they will soon enough). You could even try for the cores in the Jacqueline of Hainault event (I did this just yesterday--took five core provinces from Burgundy in one war).

By now you're pretty much set. You could even try something bold like attacking Portugal before it gets colonization started, if you want.

I did it before reading your post.

I allied with Burgundy and gave them 2 provinces, took one for myself then we occupied every inch of Dauphine. That triggered a collapse, with territories going to whoever sieged them.

So I guess the trick is to simply occupy every inch of Dauphine?

Not every inch. You don't need Auvergne or (the other mountainous province next to it) or Dauphine itself.
* Control Lyonnais
* Control Berri
* Control Vendée
* Control Poitou
* Control Limousin
* Control Languedoc
* Control Guyenne
And the provinces shoulnd't just go to the controller, since Dauphine cedes them to the correct people before being inherited by England. :confused:

I think the event should be redone to instead of occupying all these territories to owning certain provinces and/or making Dauphine no longer exist. That would make it more difficult to accomplish.
Well, going from my memory (of reading Mark Twain's Joan of Arc), Dauphine WAS very close to collapse at that time. One strong offensive from the English might indeed have done it. But I'll defer to others on the historical aspects.

Well in any case, I love controlling France as England! My empire and economy are enormous. And my nation's biggest historical rival is no more.

It's fairly difficult to do but collapsing Dauphine at first really is the best way, especially with Henry. Trying to take down Dauphine in a series of wars usually ends disastrously.

I'm kind of disappointed though, no more France means that there won't be any Napoleon now, right?

I dont want to open a new thread,so after I conquer France,what is the best and the most realistic thing to do?Ireland?Scotland?Burgundy?Or should I just wait some time to recover from the HYW?

I dont want to open a new thread,so after I conquer France,what is the best and the most realistic thing to do?Ireland?Scotland?Burgundy?Or should I just wait some time to recover from the HYW?
Burgundy, then Spain, then the world! Maybe.

Keep in mind that you'll have a) the Wars of the Roses, b) the French Wars of Religion, and c) the English Civil War to contend with, so don't over-stretch yourself. However, it's not unfeasible to force-vassalize and diplo-annex Spain, if not Portugal also, by about 1500 (when they're still small). Then you'll have to wait for explorers/conquistadors to appear before you can take the Incas and Aztecs. Basically, you can conquer half of Europe and colonize all of the Americas before you have to worry about badboy.

If that's not your thing, I'd say at least take Burgundy out. Also, if you own both Brittany and Leinster in 1520 or so, you'll get a series of events that let you convert one of them to French culture. Ireland and Scotland you'll eventually get cores on (Ireland in the 1500s and Scotland in the 1600s).

You don't always get cores on Ireland.

Myself, I'd just leave Spain and Portugal alone. There's more than enough conquest without going after them plus they'll produce lots of juicy new regions full of Catholic citizens you can take or absorb in the next game.

I'm kind of disappointed though, no more France means that there won't be any Napoleon now, right?
Well... maybe Napoleon Bonaparte will have to speak English first. :D :eek:o
Alas, poor Napoleon, destined only to be a minor army officer in English-French history.
Oh, but he might not be in English-French history at all- he was Corsican, after all, and IIRC, the English events that can give you Corsica with core are dependent upon France existing- and obviously France can't annex Corsica, either, if they don't exist.;)

The problem with England winning the Hundred Years' War is that all English (British, even) and French history is then completely thrown open to huge levels of what if? speculation.

Where does one draw the line?

You can pretty much script any number of event chains you wish, as almost none of the standard historical constraints prevalent as the result of a French victory are applicable.

It's something we're working on - albeit slowly - but to be honest it's a rather difficult thing to come to fruition in a mod designed first and foremost for historical authenticity, as I'm sure you can understand.