• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Apart from the comically overpowered Marauder with as many uac2++ as you can find and call shot mastery. I still will always have a place in my heart for the star league highlander. That combination of jump jets, decent firepower and armour, supurb heat management, just makes it ideal for most mission types .. And, just fun to use.

I'm a fan of the Bullshark myself. It has such nice, flexible hardpoints. Four energy, four ballstic, 4 missile.And then there's the XL engine and endo steel, giving it so much free weight to play with. It's the do whatever you want mech... provided that what you want to do doesn't include moving fast ;).

you don't get enough resolve to use more than 1-2 prcision shots per turn, so there's still little reason to bring more than 1 marauder regardless of how OP it is for headshots (the defense perk of its command module also doesn't stack).

also its perk is really just great specifically for headshots. if you go for core shots or shoot off the legs, you get very solid precision shots with any mech as long as the pilot has called shot mastery and any mech with lots of raw firepower can score 80% called shots on core (from front or behind) or remove a leg with a 90% called shot from flank and then some other mech gets a free called shot on the prone mech and can either core it or remove the other leg with ~65% hit chance for a 2 salvage compromise.

min / maxers.....i say bleh
to each their own i guess in whatever you enjoy.

i always shake my head at these kinda threads.
but then im the kinda guy who has Rp'd each and every run-thru of campaign or career to the tune of ~2000 hours.
goal of the pilots is to take the enemy out or disable them as quickly as possible....and to me that means torso and legs are primary targets.
precision headshots are not allowed except by elite pilots (10s) and even then they better have a good reason for doing so.

Apart from the comically overpowered Marauder with as many uac2++ as you can find and call shot mastery. I still will always have a place in my heart for the star league highlander. That combination of jump jets, decent firepower and armour, supurb heat management, just makes it ideal for most mission types .. And, just fun to use.

I agree with the SLDF Highlander comment. That Gauss Rifle is sweet with the range and enhanced accuracy. A lot of light and mediums have thought they were safe with all their evasions, only to have their day ruined by the arrival of a Gauss round.

I have gravitated away, unfortunately, since it can’t deal the overall damage of a smartly equipped BullShark or Annihilator. Even with 2 GRs, you can’t keep up with 2x UAC10s.

I can't resist chiming in and opine, that it isn't the MECH that is best, but the QUIRK. Put the quirk on a better Mech, say, an Annihilator, and that Mech is "better" - whatever "better" actually means. It's certainly not FUN, because clicking Precision Shot, targetting the head with 35% and headcap Mechs isn't fun, at least not my idea of it.

My idea of fun is a Hatchetman 3X with 2 +60 Arm mods and 4 support guns - or a Banshee 3E with an UAC20++, 4 Flamers and 2 +60 Arm Mods, if you like a heavily armed brawler. (That guy is also better in martian and lunar biomes).

As a personal design favorite, I like the MAD with UAC10++ and a couple of ERMLs buffed up with a +++cockpit mod to extend vision to 125. Can ruin someone’s day and they can’t even see you yet.

I'm a fan of the Bullshark myself. It has such nice, flexible hardpoints. Four energy, four ballstic, 4 missile.And then there's the XL engine and endo steel, giving it so much free weight to play with. It's the do whatever you want mech... provided that what you want to do doesn't include moving fast ;).

True that. I made a great Bullshark, crazy damage and stability.. Acceptable heat management then I dived into my mission a standard 4/5 skull kill Lance + reinforcements job.

Unfortunately it was that jungle map that has a path leading up to the left, the one used in a the finale of a Kurita flashpoint (capture the war criminal). Have you seen how fast that thing travels through dense undergrowth?!

In the end I had taken out both lances with my other mechs before the bullshark had even got up the hill. But yeah, crazy powerful mech, just don't don't stick it in a jungle on a hill.

I completely agree! With the introduction of SDLF Mechs’ Double Heat Sinks Engines in patch 1.9 IIRC, I managed to set my HGN-732B up completely heat-neutral while shooting out a 402 damage Alpha per combat round!:D

Last edited:
True that. I made a great Bullshark, crazy damage and stability.. Acceptable heat management then I dived into my mission a standard 4/5 skull kill Lance + reinforcements job.

Unfortunately it was that jungle map that has a path leading up to the left, the one used in a the finale of a Kurita flashpoint (capture the war criminal). Have you seen how fast that thing travels through dense undergrowth?!

In the end I had taken out both lances with my other mechs before the bullshark had even got up the hill. But yeah, crazy powerful mech, just don't don't stick it in a jungle on a hill.

That's why I tend to make my bull sharks lrm boats and ac snipers.

I am currently running 3 Marauders and a Cataphract :D.

I have two 3Rs and one 3D. I'd love to save up and snag a 2R eventually but boy are they pricey.

I should swap out my Cataphract for my Stalker with LRMs to get much needed indirect fire support, however I just love the Marauder and the Cataphract. The Stalker is...ok :).

I'm trying to remember where I saw 2 parts in the store. I want to say Davion space somewhere, but I'm not sure :/

MAD-2R.jpg

And I finally get my MAD-2R. Pimped it all the way.

That looks pretty badass. How come you've only got one ballistic slot?

The 2R only has one ballistic, but 6 energy instead of 4, when compared to the 3R.

For my taste, this loadout is a bit light on armor, but that's my personal OCD. My current MAD's loadout is somewhat similar, but switches the LB5-X for another pair of ERMLs, some DHS and max armor. It needs the armor, as it happens to be on the front line alot :D I consider going +dmg MLs instead of the ER ones for a little less heat and switch the 4 DHS or the exchanger for JJs. As it already lacks longer range punch, I could reduce range some more for adding mobility.

That looks pretty badass. How come you've only got one ballistic slot?
The LBX5 is probably the worst weapon you can use in a Marauder, with lower damage than the UAC2 and the SNPPC is not nearly as bad but neither it is particularly good. Also doesn't have JJs, which would make a big difference for both offensive and defensive purposes.

Got it fully equipped just two months before the Career ended but my ironman solo career endgame M2R is this one:

20200321045024_1.jpg

It has much better headcap and CT core chances (although slightly lower CT core reach), way better cooling, four JJs and even one more ton of armor.